Japan's XY9 Set: 'Rage of the Broken Sky,' New 'Battle Strengthening Sets'

i was really excited for the idea that ninetales would be able to flare bonus and discard a burning energy, triggering its effect to reattach it from the discard to itself while also drawing 3 cards- but then i remembered that it isnt a fire energy card when it isnt attached to a pokemon :( oh well

Same here! Though, I think Ninetales would be a great starter with that draw power. Pair it with fiery torch, scorched earth, and blacksmith and there's some crazy drawing right there.

Suicune's side view is interesting. You don't see that a lot.

Jolteon EX is the best of the bunch. It's a great partner for Mega-Manectric EX. Both Pokémon have zero retreat cost. It's completely invulnerable to basic pokemon. Ability lock can't get past it. Which is powerful as we can see with Regice. It's first attack is also nice. With a Fighting Spirit attached it will be a real beast.

I think...

*Clemont is gonna be overplayed in Magnezone decks, it's a very great card!
*I'm sorry Eeveelutions, but I really hate 2D artworks for the EX's... and these cards are not that great, too.
*Golem (omg I love Golem) is a little bit slow but has a very great potential! *cough Protect Cube cough*
*Suicune: one of the best artworks ever... Mitsuhiro Arita I love you!!

Splash Energy is a complete fail.

'This card can only be attached to a [W] Pokemon. This card provides [W] Energy only while this card is attached to a [W] Pokemon.

(If this card is attached to anything other than a [W] Pokemon, discard this card.)

"Nothing happened!"'

is what it should say.

First of all, why couldn't we have those Mewtwos in BREAKthrough, I for one definitely prefer them.

I also really want Olympia and Clemont full arts but seeing as the Leafeon deck may not have a supporter, and it's a Japanese deck where I can't recall them doing something like this with supporters, I doubt we'll see them :(

My prediction is that we'll receive the Eeevelution Exs as the next set of tins and then all other cards from the decks will be crammed into our XY9, which I would not complain about, but I haven't checked the numbers or anything though so who knows?

...I am reminded why I stopped reading these threads. If you don't comment on everything instantly, someone starts spreading an at best questionable view of things, creating a hype train that will be derailed by reality with painful results.

@RealSlim

I know hyperbole is widely practiced and accepted, but knowing how a card was used two to three years ago when it was knew and one of the top two attackers in the format is not prehistory; if you wish to be as good a player as you can be, that involved knowing not only what works now but as far back as you can handle, in addition to knowing the rest of the story: the who, where, when, why and how of things. If we want to make a point through exaggerating, 2012 and 2013 aren't prehistory, they are just yesterday!

Darkrai-EX released alongside Dark Patch and Dark Claw; the latter is all but pointless now but Muscle Band hasn't been released back then, neither had Silver Bangle (not that Darkrai-EX could use the latter). Darkrai-EX could attack first turn (because everything could back then); it was tricky but Turbo Darkrai builds could fairly reliably do just that by spamming Dark Patch and ripping through a good chunk of one's deck. Pokémon Catcher was an Item-based Lysandre back then because it hadn't received any errata at that point.

Yeah, this is all relevant for seeing how good Manaphy-EX; it won't be starting out in a similar boat so odds are it won't age as well. Even just focusing on how Darkrai-EX functions now, you've got 120 HP and a bad attack versus 180 HP and a still solid one. Yeah, Manaphy-EX has a bad attack; if it was on something meant to be up front and swinging, it would be okay. You really shouldn't have a lot of stuff damaged on your Bench that needs healing, especially if a deck has mostly Water and/or Lightning-Type Pokémon (Rough Seas). The healing is still a nice bonus, but Manaphy-EX should usually be a OHKO; so you lose your free retreat and two Prizes so that for two Energy you hit for 60 and heal 30 across your Bench.

I don't recall RealSlim hyping the attack, but people don't seem to be acknowledging it isn't actually good. Shaymin-EX (ROS), another low HP Bench-sitter has an Ability that you can only use once (when it is Benched outside of the pre-game set-up), but that also means an opponent spending time to KO it isn't really hurting your field strength. If you need to attack with Shaymin-EX, while it can backfire if you have nothing left in play you want as your new Active, usually this is done to both prevent easy Prizes and reuse Setup.

Another questionable bit of praise I am seeing by other posters is for Clemont. Anyone forget Cilan? Well you should because it isn't a good card to use! XD Kidding aside, Cilan taught us that especially post-Professor's Letter it will so rarely be worth giving up your Supporter for three Basic Energy cards that competitive decks shouldn't bother with it. Clemont does snag four Energy cards instead of three, but they all have to be [L] Energy, which means basic Lightning Energy. I am well aware of the new Magnezone; even Blastoise didn't use Cilan over Professor's Letter and regular draw Supporters. Battle Compressor/VS Seeker doesn't seem like enough of an excuse to switch over; after all you could just use that same combo alongside Fisherman: paying for various discards should get two more basic Energy into the discard pile pretty easily and of course, past early game you'll still have a good use for Fisherman.

TL;DR: Darkrai-EX is so awesome that even now that power creep has had three years, its Ability is still great and attack is still solid. Manaphy-EX and Clemont are probably not as good as some suggest, especially Clemont. Otaku may be cranky but he does know some stuff. Knowing is half the battle. ;)

Comparing Shaymin EX, Manaphy EX and Darkrai EX is not right. In case Manaphy EX is forced to the active spot it would likely not hurt at much as you might think. If it does survive a turn in the open it still has the free retreat cost ability. Also it depends on the deck It's used in. For example it wouldn't burden in a deck using Golduck Break and splash energy. Still even if It's low HP is slightly problematic. In standard It's still worth switching switch with Manaphy EX in order to make room. It's not that weird people are excited for this new water support.

Ofcourse It's attack is not as good as Darkrai's. However there are some other prospects in it's favour. It can be searched with Dive Ball, it can be retrieved with Archie's Ace in the Hole and it can be healed by Rough Seas... Perhaps a bit situational. I wouldn't call It's attack bad, It's a nice last resort, two energy for 60 damage plus healing, in a defensive deck.

Uhm... I totally agree about Clemont though :p

...I am reminded why I stopped reading these threads. If you don't comment on everything instantly, someone starts spreading an at best questionable view of things, creating a hype train that will be derailed by reality with painful results.

@RealSlim

I know hyperbole is widely practiced and accepted, but knowing how a card was used two to three years ago when it was knew and one of the top two attackers in the format is not prehistory; if you wish to be as good a player as you can be, that involved knowing not only what works now but as far back as you can handle, in addition to knowing the rest of the story: the who, where, when, why and how of things. If we want to make a point through exaggerating, 2012 and 2013 aren't prehistory, they are just yesterday!

Darkrai-EX released alongside Dark Patch and Dark Claw; the latter is all but pointless now but Muscle Band hasn't been released back then, neither had Silver Bangle (not that Darkrai-EX could use the latter). Darkrai-EX could attack first turn (because everything could back then); it was tricky but Turbo Darkrai builds could fairly reliably do just that by spamming Dark Patch and ripping through a good chunk of one's deck. Pokémon Catcher was an Item-based Lysandre back then because it hadn't received any errata at that point.

Yeah, this is all relevant for seeing how good Manaphy-EX; it won't be starting out in a similar boat so odds are it won't age as well. Even just focusing on how Darkrai-EX functions now, you've got 120 HP and a bad attack versus 180 HP and a still solid one. Yeah, Manaphy-EX has a bad attack; if it was on something meant to be up front and swinging, it would be okay. You really shouldn't have a lot of stuff damaged on your Bench that needs healing, especially if a deck has mostly Water and/or Lightning-Type Pokémon (Rough Seas). The healing is still a nice bonus, but Manaphy-EX should usually be a OHKO; so you lose your free retreat and two Prizes so that for two Energy you hit for 60 and heal 30 across your Bench.

I don't recall RealSlim hyping the attack, but people don't seem to be acknowledging it isn't actually good. Shaymin-EX (ROS), another low HP Bench-sitter has an Ability that you can only use once (when it is Benched outside of the pre-game set-up), but that also means an opponent spending time to KO it isn't really hurting your field strength. If you need to attack with Shaymin-EX, while it can backfire if you have nothing left in play you want as your new Active, usually this is done to both prevent easy Prizes and reuse Setup.

Another questionable bit of praise I am seeing by other posters is for Clemont. Anyone forget Cilan? Well you should because it isn't a good card to use! XD Kidding aside, Cilan taught us that especially post-Professor's Letter it will so rarely be worth giving up your Supporter for three Basic Energy cards that competitive decks shouldn't bother with it. Clemont does snag four Energy cards instead of three, but they all have to be [L] Energy, which means basic Lightning Energy. I am well aware of the new Magnezone; even Blastoise didn't use Cilan over Professor's Letter and regular draw Supporters. Battle Compressor/VS Seeker doesn't seem like enough of an excuse to switch over; after all you could just use that same combo alongside Fisherman: paying for various discards should get two more basic Energy into the discard pile pretty easily and of course, past early game you'll still have a good use for Fisherman.

TL;DR: Darkrai-EX is so awesome that even now that power creep has had three years, its Ability is still great and attack is still solid. Manaphy-EX and Clemont are probably not as good as some suggest, especially Clemont. Otaku may be cranky but he does know some stuff. Knowing is half the battle. ;)

Nobody was comparing Manaphy's attack vs Darkrai's attack, or, at least, I didn't. 2012/2013 meta is actually prehistory, it was very different from the actual meta, a lot of cards and things changed. I'm not saying this is the truth but this is my point of view. Yes, Darkrai was good... in the past, where EX's were so overpowered etc etc. In the actual meta, you can see how cards with extremely powerful support (like Shaymin) have only 120 hp, and a meh attack, same for Manaphy.

Now, the one and only thing I said was: Manaphy's attack is pretty bad, Manaphy's ability is very awesome. I challenge anyone to say otherwise.

Does the Sucuini affect prevent Seismitoad item lock and bat damage? Just curios?

Sadly no and no,

Seismitoad's attack Quaking Punch affects your hand. Not any of your pokémon. Bats damage is caused by their ability. Suicines ability only prevents side effects done by attacks to your Pokémon. At least that is how it stated at the moment.

Does the Sucuini affect prevent Seismitoad item lock and bat damage? Just curios?
I don't think it will block Seismitoad's item lock, as it's not really an effect on your Pokemon (it's an effect on you), nor will it block the bats' ability effects, but it will block the bench damage from their attacks. It's just like how the special Fairy energy doesn't block the item lock. I think Suicue would prevent things like Sharpedo EX's Hunt attack, though. I think its purpose will be as a bench damage protector, along with protecting itself from a lot when it's active.

Same here! Though, I think Ninetales would be a great starter with that draw power. Pair it with fiery torch, scorched earth, and blacksmith and there's some crazy drawing right there.
I just want to point out that Kangaskhan-EX has the same drawing power, without needing to discard anything (Triple Draw). Of course, that doesn't lend itself to the Blacksmith combo.

Golem-EX, possibly the worst EX we've ever seen? Jolteon looks good though.

Still better than Emolga-EX, which is what I'd call the most disappointing (and highest disappointment to adorableness ratio) EX.

XY1_EN_46.png

Still better than Emolga-EX, which is what I'd call the most disappointing (and highest disappointment to adorableness ratio) EX.

XY1_EN_46.png
My thoughts exactly! Looking at Emolga-EX closer, it looks like it was designed as a bench warmer for Mega Emolga-EX, which...well, doesn't exist. This card wouldn't even be good as a non-EX.

Nobody was comparing Manaphy's attack vs Darkrai's attack, or, at least, I didn't.

If we are are compare and contrast two cards, then we need to look at the entire card, not just a single aspect. Many cards have have something good about them but fall short because the rest of the card lets down the best bits. Even two cards that are equally successful may not be used in the same way due to their inherent differences. More relevant than the attack though is the HP; Darkrai-EX is better at taking a hit unless we get into specifics (namely taking a blow from a Fighting-Type).

Comparing Shaymin EX, Manaphy EX and Darkrai EX is not right.

Why is it not right?

To get an idea of how a card will be used, one looks at similar cards from the past. Darkrai-EX has a similar Ability to Manaphy-EX while Shaymin-EX (ROS) has a similar size and status (a small Pokémon-EX on your Bench). Looking at how these pieces function on existing cards will not tell us exactly how a new card made up of such things (especially with other alterations) will function, but it certainly gives us an idea and is a solid starting point.

In case Manaphy EX is forced to the active spot it would likely not hurt at much as you might think. If it does survive a turn in the open it still has the free retreat cost ability.

The question is whether or not 120 HP is likely to survive being attacked, and unless you're facing one of the weaker control decks or have some other mitigating factor, the answer is "No 120 HP is not likely to survive being attacked." It would require a major shift not just in specific decks, but dominant tactics. I do recognize this is a possibility; I've been more focused on Expanded than Standard (if we are talking Expanded as well, then yes, Manaphy-EX will rarely fall outside of OHKO range if an opponent has even a half-decent field).

Also it depends on the deck It's used in. For example it wouldn't burden in a deck using Golduck Break and splash energy.

Did I get bad translations for these cards, or are two different points kind of running together?

Golduck BREAK
does help make use of Manaphy-EX because it would allow a basic Water Energy to bounce from Pokémon to Pokémon, a familiar tactic used in other Energy transfer decks. As we are discussing an opponent promoting and taking out Manaphy-EX (or just taking it out on the Bench if Greninja BREAK proves worthwhile), that doesn't help; as stated I believe Manaphy-EX is quite likely to be taken out in a single shot, so it can't retreat after being KOed. :p

Splash Energy is a Special Energy card, so only a few forms of Energy acceleration work with it; for example Golduck BREAK does not. Most of the time you'll have to burn a manual Energy attachment to apply it to a card; not a deal breaker, but relevant to considering it with Manaphy-EX. You'll need to prep Manaphy-EX with a Splash Energy ahead of time because again, more often than not it will be OHKOed if it is forced into the Active slot by your opponent. Now the question becomes "Will my opponent want me to take a chance and Bench it again?" The main defense Manaphy-EX has is that it might not be the best thing to focus on attacking. That's really it; if it proves to be a good target, an opponent forces it if able and takes the KO, and may even hope you drop another (or the same copy if reclaim it) so they can do it again. Also... Special Energy cards are the easier ones to discard.

We already see something like this with Shaymin-EX (ROS). That doesn't mean Shaymin-EX is a bad card (it's quite strong!) or that this happens to Shaymin-EX "all the time", it just means that being forced up front (or a sniping target) for an easier KO is a legitimate concern for the card. Shaymin-EX tends to be used up as soon as you finish drawing with Setup, barring decks that really want to bounce it. Shaymin-EX is two fairly easy Prizes once it is up front but without some bounce its just taking up space on the Bench; Manaphy-EX has an Ability that works so long as Manaphy-EX remains in play, adding incentive to KO when it is useful, and when it isn't... it isn't serving a purpose.

Still even if It's low HP is slightly problematic.

Significantly "problematic", not slightly, is my prediction. Again this does not anticipate a radical shift in the metagame. Such a shift does not automatically mean different attackers, just tactics involved: if current strategy that quickly hits hard enough for a OHKO is replaced by a different strategy that quickly hits for a OHKO, it still doesn't affect Manaphy-EX.

In standard It's still worth switching switch with Manaphy EX in order to make room.

It doesn't always make more room though. Changing something out with Switch is not the same as manually retreating, even for free. The reason why Darkrai-EX or a similar effect is combined with the likes of Keldeo-EX is because the combo allows you to replace your one permitted retreat for the turn with an effective Switch. It doesn't often save that much space when you consider everything involved; it just allows a similar amount of space to generate more advantage. Float Stone allows the equipped Keldeo-EX to pull the trick all on its own and it still is only a savings in space for decks that would otherwise have not only maxed out Switch or another similar card, but both.

Manaphy-EX may replace all copies of Switch in a deck, but mostly because the deck was only running one or two Switch (or similar) cards in the first place and doesn't have the room for both Manaphy-EX and Switch.

It's not that weird people are excited for this new water support.

Not worried about them being excited, I am worried about them giving a card undue hype; the two don't have to be the same thing. Hyping something unworthy is quite normal, so not "weird" unfortunately... because even though it is a regular occurrence it is not a good thing.

Ofcourse It's attack is not as good as Darkrai's. However there are some other prospects in it's favour. It can be searched with Dive Ball, it can be retrieved with Archie's Ace in the Hole and it can be healed by Rough Seas... Perhaps a bit situational. I wouldn't call It's attack bad, It's a nice last resort, two energy for 60 damage plus healing, in a defensive deck.

Uhm... I totally agree about Clemont though :p

And... I largely agree with what you say here. I don't see them as being as large of positives, with the attack something that might have been okay on something larger that already had a reason for being in a deck. For example, a hypothetical new attacker that had a second attack that justified running it... well then 60 for [WW] and 30 mass heal is a nice secondary attack, even if it is situational.

Back