XY XY in France?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blob55 said:
Alix Rooker said:
This whole thread should just be closed. It's nothing but the OP whining and complaining about how pissed off he is that his country didn't get selected.
Seriously, Blob, get over yourself. You honestly should not be a member of the staff if this is how you're going to act.

Please, do explain how GF is showing favoritism.
Your whole argument is invalid.

First of all, SHE.
Second, get over myself? I'm not trying to sound like I have ego problems, it's just that my opinions mean a lot to me.
Third, this thread has become an attack me thread.

I just feel like it IS favoritism, because so many Japanese like France so much, but you never hear them talk about England.

Its not ego problems, its understanding problems. Regardless of what you think the Japanese do or dont favor, it wouldnt make your argument anymore valid or less insulting. The thing you need to understand is that, you need to get over it. Obviously, nobody else that has posted here agrees or sympathizes with your taking issue over France being chosen over England.

And Im pretty sure EVERYONE feels like their opinions mean everything to them, but opinions are like like @**holes, and most of them stink.

Blob55 said:
Alix Rooker said:
This whole thread should just be closed. It's nothing but the OP whining and complaining about how pissed off he is that his country didn't get selected.
Seriously, Blob, get over yourself. You honestly should not be a member of the staff if this is how you're going to act.

Please, do explain how GF is showing favoritism.
Your whole argument is invalid.

First of all, SHE.
Second, get over myself? I'm not trying to sound like I have ego problems, it's just that my opinions mean a lot to me.

I just feel like it IS favoritism, because so many Japanese like France so much, but you never hear them talk about England.

That is because in the Japanese viewpoint, France has a more distinct culture and visible prescence in Japan. Most of my elementary school kids can name a few French cities and food but have no clue what british food is or a city outside London. When I explain British food, they said "oh, so basically it's American." The Japanese media and education system doesn't put much emphasis on England. It's not favoritism nor is it prejudice. It's just how it is.

In my opinion, they chose France because it fit what they want to achieve in XY. To them, it seemed the most logical choice. Maybe they considered England at one point but, instead of choosing a more powerful country/city, they went with something different and, possibly, wanted a more distinct, romantic, and asthetic feel which France is easily known for.

Your profile says male btw. Hence the confusion.

Your opinions =/= Valid argument.

We're attacking your invalid arguments, not you. Please just wake up and accept that not all of your opinions are meant to be universally agreed upon.

LostVoice said:
Blob55 said:
First of all, SHE.

That is because in the Japanese viewpoint, France has a more distinct culture and visible prescence in Japan. Most of my elementary school kids can name a few French cities and food but have no clue what british food is or a city outside London. When I explain British food, they said "oh, so basically it's American." The Japanese media and education system doesn't put much emphasis on England. It's not favoritism nor is it prejudice. It's just how it is.

In my opinion, they chose France because it fit what they want to achieve in XY. To them, it seemed the most logical choice. Maybe they considered England at one point but, instead of choosing a more powerful country/city, they went with something different and, possibly, wanted a more distinct, romantic, and asthetic feel which France is easily known for.

British food tends to be things like Steak and Kidney pie, Cornish Pasties and Fish and Chips. A lot of Americas can't do the latter two right and we also eat a lot more European foods, like Pasta.
BTW, since when does food determine where the next Region is?

Also, because Japan doesn't teach their kids about England, it kind of IS prejudice, especially since we have quite a few things in common:
1. We drive on the same side of the road
2. A lot of power for the size
3. the UK (mainland) and Japan are both at opposite ends of Eurasia

Blob55 said:
LostVoice said:

British food tends to be things like Steak and Kidney pie, Cornish Pasties and Fish and Chips. A lot of Americas can't do the latter two right and we also eat a lot more European foods, like Pasta.

It doesn't but I was just stating that French food is more well known and recognized compared to British food in Japan. Bearing that in mind, French culture tends to have a larger emphasis in Japan. It's not a matter of favoritism but rather a matter of cultural awareness. Japanese are more aware of French culture and, in most ignorant cases, think British culture/American culture to be exactly the same. For example, the inability for most Japanese to distinguish between a British and Anerican accent. But they can distinguish between a French and American accent. Basically what I'm saying is that, possibly, GF chose France due to thr Japanese being more knowledgeable of French culture compares to other nations. It might be more marketable to Japanese audiences and did not intend to anger other Europeans. Though I don't necessary agree with that assumption.

I still believe that basing a portion of the region off from France was the direction that the creative team wanted to explore.

Edit: ummmm no. Despite those poor three examples, it's because Englans has had a minimal impact on Japanese history compared to the Germans, the Dutch, the Portugese, the Anericans, the Chinese, the Tussians, and the Koreans. French and Italian have become so prevalent in Japanese media because the Japanese view them as "acristocratic, romantic, fancy, and cultured" with my Japanese buying France/Italuan brands, adorning thier "fancy" apartments with French artwork and Italian spices. Japanese do enjoy English culture but only soccer and the English gardens. Oh and I know one teacher who only likes English punk bands. The ignorant majority can't distinguish between Anerican, Canadian, British, South Africa, and Australian culture.

LostVoice said:
Blob55 said:

It doesn't but I was just stating that French food is more well known and recognized compared to British food in Japan. Bearing that in mind, French culture tends to have a larger emphasis in Japan. It's not a matter of favoritism but rather a matter of cultural awareness. Japanese are more aware of French culture and, in most ignorant cases, think British culture/American culture to be exactly the same. For example, the inability for most Japanese to distinguish between a British and Anerican accent. But they can distinguish between a French and American accent. Basically what I'm saying is that, possibly, GF chose France due to thr Japanese being more knowledgeable of French culture compares to other nations. It might be more marketable to Japanese audiences and did not intend to anger other Europeans. Though I don't necessary agree with that assumption.

I still believe that basing a portion of the region off from France was the direction that the creative team wanted to explore.

As I said in my edit, I just think it is prejudice, because Japan never teaches kids the differences between the UK and America.

Riskbreakers said:
I think the TS is just being mad that her region of England wasn't picked for a children's video game.

It's not that I'm upset England wasn't chosen, it's that the Japanese just seem to assume that British and Americas are the same.

Blob55 said:
LostVoice said:

As I said in my edit, I just think it is prejudice, because Japan never teaches kids the differences between the UK and America.

And I wasn't taught that Japan and China were different until middle school. My teachers lumped them a as Asians. And even in middle school, I was told "they are all still Asians." Or that Ireland and Scotland was the same as Britain. But I already knew the difference by middle school since I studied crap on my own and learned the difference just as some of the Japanese students do.

They really have no need since it doesn't affect them. However, that is one of the reasons why I'm here and doing my job. I don't only teach English but I also teach world culture. I explain the differences between English speaking countries and, thus, expand thier minds. Regardless, they still know more about France than the UK. And they know more about Italy than France. And they know Japan the best hence why more than half of my students have no interest in going out of Japan and assume Japan is the number one country in the world.

It's because they are looking at it from a cultural bias just as you are.

Do you actually KNOW that Japan doesnt teach the difference? Because otherwise, YOURE assuming pretty much everything youre saying. Its a baseless, and pointless accusation.

LostVoice said:
Blob55 said:

And I wasn't taught that Japan and China were different until middle school. My teachers lumped them a as Asians. And even in middle school, I was told "they are all still Asians." Or that Ireland and Scotland was the same as Britain. But I already knew the difference by middle school since I studied crap on my own and learned the difference just as some of the Japanese students do.

They really have no need since it doesn't affect them. However, that is one of the reasons why I'm here and doing my job. I don't only teach English but I also teach world culture. I explain the differences between English speaking countries and, thus, expand thier minds. Regardless, they still know more about France than the UK. And they know more about Italy than France. And they know Japan the best hence why more than half of my students have no interest in going out of Japan and assume Japan is the number one country in the world.

It's because they are looking at it from a cultural bias just as you are.

I know England isn't that good of a country and people who think the country they're in is best just bugs me.

Riskbreakers said:
Then there should be no point in this thread being up and open in the first place.

I already said why I made this thread. I think GF are being unfair in not choosing a country with a powerful city in Europe.

NoDice said:
Do you actually KNOW that Japan doesnt teach the difference? Because otherwise, YOURE assuming pretty much everything youre saying. Its a baseless, and pointless accusation.

Yeah, it's an assumption but I have observed it. I have read and participated in social studies and history classes as well. From what I can tell and see, Japanese educations focuses more on global events that impacted/affected Japan. As well, formal education on global history and culture does not start until High School. Students in elementary and junior high school do not learn about global events (academically) unless they receive it in English class (which is often called the "foreign language class".). I often get confused being British, south african, Australian, etc by most people due to the fact I speak English and, well, foreign. My African American friend is constantly asked if he is from Jamaica or Nigeria. Japan is a homogenous society that has a rudimentary grasp on global culture but, due to the Internet and increasing westernization of Japan, it's improving gradually. So, I'm assuming but just basing my opinions on what I've experienced and observed.

And let me clarify that the Japanese are unintentional racist due to a lack of interaction of foreigners and assumptions. They might infer something that might be offensive such as using the n-word without realizing what it means. Modt japanese never come into contact with a foreigner and assume largely from what they hear, see on tv, or read. My fiance (who is Japanese) and I have another Japanese couple we hang out with. When we first met, they were absolutely nervous since I was the first foreigner they met and worried about thier English skills. However, many of the Japanese have a unquenchable thirst for foreign culture and love knowing the differences between theirs and other cultures.

Anyways, I need to get back to work. Blob, you are welcomed to your opinion but the fact remains GF decided to base it in France (or the main city...the name escapes me). You don't have to accept it but when you make radical accusations and child-like fits about "unfairness" despite it being fair, people are going to counter your arguments.

Blob55 said:
Riskbreakers said:
Then there should be no point in this thread being up and open in the first place.

I already said why I made this thread. I think GF are being unfair in not choosing a country with a powerful city in Europe.

And all your opinions have been shot down due to your lack of proof that GF is unfair or GF is favoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back