XY XY in France?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Blob:
Please Blob, I - as an european myself - am very curious. How do you define the "mightiness" of a city and why exactly is "your" capital the most "powerful" in Europe? The words doesn't make sense...

I don't think it's that so much. As mentioned before, France just fits thier creative design. I don't think they mean to represent Europe with France. Not was it a jab against England.

Imagine this: instead of France, they based it on England. Then suppose someone from France is getting pissed because its not based in France. That is viewing it from a cultural context. From that, they are being unfair to the French...and Germans...and Italians. France is the direction they wanted to go with the game and has nothing to do about being unfair or biased against England or Brits.

And I don't see Hong Kong being a lame excuse to England. Both have something to give to the Pokemon world and that's what's important - not equal representation or fairness.

There hasn't been a trend about picking powerful and important cities or regions. Tokyo and New York are the only important cities that have been represented. Prior to X/Y, we didnt know if they would go back to Japan or keep it abroad. That trend doesn't exist because it has been proven yet. As well, if there ever was a trend, XY broke that (from your viewpoint.)

Blob55 said:
I'm just saying that I'm upset that GF didn't go their usual route of choosing the biggest/one of the most powerful cities of the continent, like they did with Gens 1 and 5. I don't like the direction GF are taking by shunning England and choosing a much less powerful city.
They should of done France in gen 7. That way they have the major capital out of the way (London) and can focus on smaller ones (like they did in gens 2-4).

Ok, well I dont think its their usual route, first of all. They have done 4 whole regions based on regions of Japan, not all of them had (a) Tokyo. IIRC Hoenn was actually based on a more rural region in Japan, with more wildlife and forested areas, as opposed to the more industrialized Kanto region, which I believe is where Tokyo resides? And Im sure its nothing to do with a personal attack on England or any other country NOT France that is in Europe either. For starters, and as a personal example- ever since I was little I knew about the Eifel Tower in Paris, whereas I knew nothing about anything in London. Hell, I still dont know much about London, and I personally think they made the right decision using something as iconic as the Eifel Tower as the basis for the intersecting city in Kalos. France may not be as powerful, or as world renown for military strength or technology, but you can bet your ass just about everyone knows about that tower or that has taken 5th grade history or higher. Im not saying London doesnt have anything iconic about it, and Im at a loss to think of anything it has, but Im just saying that it was probably something as simple as "Hey, you know what would be cool?", when they were brainstorming ideas for X/Y.

All I'm saying, is they killed the combo and they will probably never do England, because Japan thinks Paris is the most powerful city in Europe (like how Tokyo is really powerful in Asia and NY is powerful in America). And IMO, it's either that, or they just don't care for London at all.
I don't mean to sound racist, but that's what it looks like what GF are thinking IMO.

Again, it has nothing to do with POWER. It most likely has more to do with aesthetics than ANYTHING. The tower is well known, the city itself may be lackluster in comparison, but think about it- its the F****** Eifel Tower- in a Pokemon game?! I live about 5 hours from the "Space Needle", and Im not mad or feel personally attacked they didnt include that in this game instead.
And furthermore, we havent seen ANY other cities besides this one, just the world map. There is NO telling whether one of those cities hides many features of London or not? Perhaps each city, relative to Lumiose's location, could represent the capitol or major city of a country that lies in that general direction from France? Maybe only a couple. It doesnt matter either way, its a Pokemon game. And like I said before, they didnt have to even do anything based on anything outside of Japan, but they did. Just be happy we are getting a region from Europe, and hopefully many new Pokemon based on animals, reptiles and fish that originate from or around it.

OMG my Pokemon game is not based on my hometown!! Boo-hoo!! I mean no Pokemon game was based on China and I don't see Chinese crying.

As I already posted in the earlier pages. This shouldn't even be a topic. GF wants France as their base city, it fits their aesthetic image.

DEAL WITH IT.

All good points made here you seem to have some personal vendetta cause it wasn't in London or England which in fact we don't know if Kalos is Europe in general. Anyway like Alix said I'm from US born and raised Arizona although I live in Texas should I be mad cause they did New York? You know home of the Yankees? See what I did there? I judged. (No offense NY just making a point) idk what about your how mighty a city is but ....West Coast and SouthWest US has some of the largest cities in NA. (Looking at you L.A., Phoenix, Houston, and so on) they just pick what suits them and run with it. It's not like they are deliberately trying to offend anyone.

It's like the topic starter is crying because he/she didn't get picked first for a team in a playground game. France is a beautiful city from what I hear. I personally want to tour there next time. You don't see me crying over the base country not being somewhere in Asia because you know, Pokemon IS a game made by Asians.

As well, many regions in Japan have not been used yet.

For example, the Chugoku region which comprises Hiroshima, okayama, and Yamaguchi.

The Tohoku region with Sendai, Aomori and Nikko (not to mention it suffered the earthquake and tsunami. It could be used to dedicate the lives lost as well as give a percentage of sales to those still without homes.)

And Shikoku with Matsuyama and Ehime, a rather rural island but full of culture and history.

I'm just happy they branched out of Japan.

You know what, I didnt even read the first post. I was replying to the most recent posts on page 5. Now that I see the first post, this thread could almost be seen as TROLLISH for the fact that none of the original posts facts have ANYTHING to do with region selection. Nobody even knows how or why GF selects regions or decides how to design them, unless you work there, so yeah, knowing what I know now about the OP- DEAL WITH IT.

I was being civil but seriously, this topic COULD lead to much more colorful and meaningful discussion and speculation, but has been derailed since post 1 due to the intent of the OP. This topic should be closed.

Ysmir said:
All good points made here you seem to have some personal vendetta cause it wasn't in London or England which in fact we don't know if Kalos is Europe in general. Anyway like Alix said I'm from US born and raised Arizona although I live in Texas should I be mad cause they did New York? You know home of the Yankees? See what I did there? I judged. (No offense NY just making a point) idk what about your how mighty a city is but ....West Coast and SouthWest US has some of the largest cities in NA. (Looking at you L.A., Phoenix, Houston, and so on) they just pick what suits them and run with it. It's not like they are deliberately trying to offend anyone.
Exactly.

He does, in fact, seem to have a personal vendetta against GF because they didn't choose to base the newest region on England, because he feels like it's "the most powerful and well known country in the world".

------------------------------------------------------------------

Blob, you're not presenting any strong arguments as to why London would have been a good location for the newest region. Maybe they will do it in a future generation, or, like others said, maybe it will play some role in the new generation somehow. We really don't know, as only one city has been introduced as of yet.

How are you a staff member here, and you're acting so childish, Blob? A staff member isn't supposed to have a hissy fit for such an illegitimate reason. There haven't been any regions yet that have been based on any parts of Africa, Australia, other regions in Asia, Russia, India, etc. And you don't see people of those places throwing a temper tantrum about it.

Please stop acting childish, and adhere to the title that you have for some reason.

Blob55 said:
Alix Rooker said:
Blob, you're being incredibly biased when it comes to the region's origin.
Just because the new region is not based on your home country, doesn't mean you should be so livid about it.
Saying you're not going to get the game just because your country wasn't picked as the inspiration is ignorant.
Like the above poster said, there was a few more regions left in Japan that they could have chosen.
I, too, live in NA, Texas, specifically, and I'm not in the least bit mad about their decision to base Unova on New York City.
I'm more frustrated at how simplistic the region was. It wasn't interesting in design at all to me, really. It was a circle, and not even a large region.

I'm not mad because they didn't pick England, I'm mad because they picked a country with a less powerful capital city.
I know in gens 2-4 they didn't introduce a capital city, but that's because they were still doing Japan.
Overall, you sound like a child who's parent didn't buy them a toy that they wanted in the store. Grow up. Get over it. And read my most recent post.

Alright everyone just simmer down a bit. I understand we can get passionate about these type of things but we don't personally know Blob to be calling them out like that. Blob, just please understand what we are trying to tell you, it's not a bad thing they picked France or Paris, it's good like LostVoice said to branch out of Japan. There is no agenda....they just use what they want, what they can have fun with, and make fun for us, the fans. Cheers.

Honestly if they were to base a pokemon region of a country because it was the most powerful it would be GERMANY representing Europe, not England or France and the main city would be based off of Munich, Berlin or even Frankfurt. I'm Canadian btw have no stake in the game.

You're assumptions are wild, we have no idea whether Kalos will have "all of Europe's History crammed into it" just like we don't know if there will be a California or England based region. France may not be what it once was "power" wise but it is still a worth-while country. For all we know GF just wanted a star shaped region and Northern France suited their purposes. I would've like to have seen more Southern France Toulouse, Marseilles, the Medditerranian, but I'm happy with it.

Guys, it's just Pokémon. For as far as i know, Pokémon doesn't talk about regions and geography. This topic is irrelevant to how good/bad XY is going to be, sorry.

I just think GF are being unfair and I hate unfairness, even if I sound like a child about it. I'm also upset that they let favoritism get in the way of order.

Blob55 said:
I just think GF are being unfair and I hate unfairness, even if I sound like a child about it. I'm also upset that they let favoritism get in the way of order.

Life isnt fair, get over it. GF is not showing any favoritism at all, its all in your head! 2+ pages of people telling you that hasnt gotten it through your head? This thread is a lost cause.

Blob55 said:

Do you have proof to prove either GF is being unfair or letting favoritism get in the way? None. Your arguments are invalid. You're just being blind about it. Not to offend you but the only thing that you can prove right now is that you're acting a third of your declared age.

Blob55 said:

I don't understand this order you keep referring to. There is no trend or order when picking regions. You may see a trend but, unless GF comes out and says "we only pick powerful and influential cities/countries.", its only something you perceive and, therefore, can be broken or non existent due to GF not adhering to that rule. It's like saying "there will always be a lucario like generation mascot in Smash Bros."

I don't see how GF decision was unfair and, truthfully, you are just angry France got represented (if it is France...) over England. Your argument is weak, whiny, and riddled with "favoritism". You try to support your arguments with shoddy examples, poor logic, and this "order" you keep referring to. You also base your argument on assumptions, predictions, and personal feelings which weaken your argument and generally make you look like a raging fanboy.

GF felt Paris best fit the direction they wanted to take. They skipped over other Japanese regions to continue keeping the series overseas. If you won't buy it because "oh poo it's not in England wah wah", you are going to find yourself unhappy and disappointed if that's how you will live your life.

Mitja said:
I think they'll go back to something asian as basis for gen 7.

No. I hope they go to south America or Africa.

Blob55 said:

It's not unfair. You just don't like it.

This whole thread should just be closed. It's nothing but the OP whining and complaining about how pissed off he is that his country didn't get selected.
Seriously, Blob, get over yourself. You honestly should not be a member of the staff if this is how you're going to act.

Blob55 said:
Please, do explain how GF is showing favoritism.
Your whole argument is invalid.

Alix Rooker said:
This whole thread should just be closed. It's nothing but the OP whining and complaining about how pissed off he is that his country didn't get selected.
Seriously, Blob, get over yourself. You honestly should not be a member of the staff if this is how you're going to act.

Blob55 said:
Please, do explain how GF is showing favoritism.
Your whole argument is invalid.

First of all, SHE.
Second, get over myself? I'm not trying to sound like I have ego problems, it's just that my opinions mean a lot to me.
Third, this thread has become an attack me thread.

I just feel like it IS favoritism, because so many Japanese like France so much, but you never hear them talk about England.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back