XY XY in France?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
In generations 1 and 5, GF went for two major cities; Tokyo and New York. In Gen 6, they go for a much smaller city; Paris and I think this is unfair. It's not that I hate France or anything, it's just that I think GF should of either gone for a whole continent, like last time(Unova was shaped like NY, but was based the whole of America), or gone for the UK or Germany.
The reason why I think this is because a lot of things made in Europe are made in Germany.

Another reason why I don't think France should have its own region so soon, is I don't think Paris is major enough. Japan has Tokyo, a huge city and America has NY, another big city. Paris on the other hand, has a smaller population living in the centre of it and even London has more.

According to Wikipedia: (I know there's room for error...)
London has the 3rd highest urban area and Paris isn't even on the list.
London has the 4th highest metropolitan area and Paris isn't on the list.
London has the 10th highest city population and Paris isn't on the list.

According to WorldAtlas London has the 34th highest metro population (Metro means people living around the city, not necessarily in the centre of it) Paris comes at 25th.

According to World Gazetteer London comes at 21st and Paris is 24th.

According to city populations (The do it by the Agglomerations, meaning how many people live in built-up city centre) London is 24th and Paris is 27th.

So, so far it's London 5 and Paris 1.

I know that the first 4 Gens were in Japan, but that's because GF are in Japan and I'll give them some Leaniancy with that.

I highly doubt that GF's main goal is to base their stories in the biggest cities on the globe, nor do they have to follow a certain order. It has much more to do with what kind of setting creates the best outlet for the vision they have for the game. If anything, I give them an A+ for not choosing the more predictable option.

Besides, Paris, France is still a major place, it's not like they are breaking tradition or anything, and it certainly doesn't mean the UK won't be used in the future.

I have to agree with Elite Stride; size does not matter. Paris is well known city, I think GameFreak wanted to utilise this fact. Because 2 out of 5 generations were based around a large city does not mean every generation has to do this, if this were true, we would be stuck to Asia for a lot of generations, as China, for example, has a lot of large cities. GameFreak wants to connect with people around the world, picking a central and well known country in Europe is a good way to connect with their fans in Europe.

France is awesome, dude. They have the best food and the best music. I'm surprised a region wasn't based off of Paris sooner.

I love that Karos (XYregion) is based on France. I love French culture, food, art etc and I really hope they get into some French details.

Yoda said:
Size matters not! (or something like that)

I'm intrested to see what XY brings us, so far it's been a rollar coaster for me with good/bad news.

:) They reveal old pokemon will be in the game
:( Mewtwo has a new form
:) They reveal 4 new pokemon, all 4 look pretty cool besides the panda
:( IF the fairy type rumors are true

Pokequaza said:
GameFreak wants to connect with people around the world, picking a central and well known country in Europe is a good way to connect with their fans in Europe.

That's my problem! If they wanted to connect to the Europeans, they should of just done the whole of Europe or England or Germany, as they have much more power! It's almost like instead of doing New York for Gen 5, they settled for Huston.

If that is your logic, it should have been New Mexico (the second biggest city in the world by Population just after Tokyo).

Blob55 said:
Pokequaza said:
GameFreak wants to connect with people around the world, picking a central and well known country in Europe is a good way to connect with their fans in Europe.

That's my problem! If they wanted to connect to the Europeans, they should of just done the whole of Europe or England or Germany, as they have much more power! It's almost like instead of doing New York for Gen 5, they settled for Huston.

It is not about power. I think France is a better representative of Europe than the UK or Germany; Both of them are located in northern Europe, which differs a lot from the south. If there is one country that is able to represent both northern and sountern Europe, it is France, it shares cultural aspects with many western European countries.

Also, as Germany does not even border a proper ocean, except for the North Sea and the Baltic Sea around Schleswig-Holstein and Vorpommern, it is hard to imagine Germany becoming a diverse region with inter alia a few water routes.

Id have prefered a "Europe"-based one too. It could still have a fictional version of Paris as its main city..but why not also everything else in the rest?

My guess is that if they went for a shape like it...it would be way too much water, so they took France as the basis...it actually works very nicely as a pokemon region looking at the picture we got.

Perhaps it's because france is less American than England. While they obviously have different histories and landmarks, there are many similarities between the two nations. It would be like X/Y taking place in Canada. Canada is definitely a bigger country than France, but it would be boring to have such a similar culture for two gens in a row. I think they want to diversify.

All Europe would be too big. It would have been cool but they would have around 1 city per Country or so. There wouldn't be much in each country really. For me to enjoy Europe, it would need lots of small towns in each country. It would need a huge map subdivided into the countries. They could make generations of countries in Europe (France, UK, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia and Greece are well known) but it would take too much time.

Actually, Russia is in Asia.

Edit: Also, did you know that the country England shares the most similarities with, is Germany? We really don't share that much with America, other than some TV shows and the internet.

Blob55 said:

Not really;

Western Russia (or European Russia) is a part of Europe. The vast majority of Russia (~75%) is located in Asia, but the majority of the people live in the European part (~77% live in the European Russia). Both Moscow and St. Peterburg, Russia's biggest cities, are located in Europe as well. The link below contains a map of Europe (white), and as you can see, the western part of Russia is actually part of Europe.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/39/Europe_polar_stereographic_Caucasus_Urals_boundary.svg/700px-Europe_polar_stereographic_Caucasus_Urals_boundary.svg.png

Just as Turkey, the country of Russia spans across two continents. People in Russia usually prefer to use the 6 continents-model, which includes Eurasia as one continent, whereas the 7 continents-model splits these two into Asia and Europe.

In terms of population, the majority is European; and those living in Asia usually do not even call themselves Asian. So if you want to address Russia to a continent, it should be Europe, and not Asia.

Europe-based would have been better, but I certainly don't think Germany or London would've been better than Paris. Paris is much more stylistic and distinctive. London isn't much different from New York culturally, plus it would've been so annoying had they done somewhere in the UK... that would just be over-Westernising things, ick (given they already did the US. Come on, have a bit of imagination... must we all centre our lives around these two countries?! I'm sick to death of all things British/American at this stage)

France is a nice, pretty place with a lot of inspiring characteristics. It'll be interesting to see, imo.

Blob55 said:

Edit: Also, did you know that the country England shares the most similarities with, is Germany? We really don't share that much with America, other than some TV shows and the internet.

Of course I know that MOST of Russia is in Asia. But there is still a big part in Europe, bigger than a lot of countries in Europe.

Tam said:
Europe-based would have been better, but I certainly don't think Germany or London would've been better than Paris. Paris is much more stylistic and distinctive. London isn't much different from New York culturally, plus it would've been so annoying had they done somewhere in the UK... that would just be over-Westernising things, ick (given they already did the US. Come on, have a bit of imagination... must we all centre our lives around these two countries?! I'm sick to death of all things British/American at this stage)

France is a nice, pretty place with a lot of inspiring characteristics. It'll be interesting to see, imo.

First of all, France is a "Western" country, second London is a lot different from NY, as NY has far more skyscrapers and London has a lot more older buildings. You're just acting like London doesn't have any notable landmarks, because the people there speak English. Third "British/American at stage" what are you talking about? Most of the regions are based in Japan anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back