Why Don't Most Competitive Players Bling Out Their Decks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frost Mage

Pegasususus
I was watching some States 2014 videos, and what I've noticed as a constant throughout them all is that almost none of their decks have FAs or any type of bling whatsoever. Is there any reason for this?

There is a common myth that reverse cards tend to clump. Others may not like bling or just don't want to pay the extra money.

I've never understood that myth... They're all in sleeves, and if you're shuffling properly, the minute weight differences shouldn't ever affect how the cards "stick" together.

I like to have my cards FA, but I don't go all out of the way to do it.
I have seen many players play all RH/FA/Shiny, but most just think its a waste.
Especially when rotation comes into effect. Who wants to have 4 FA Skyla's (like equivalent to a Tropical Beach) when they may be rotated out in a season?

Haha, I wouldn't bling like that, I would bling cards that are staying in for sure, i.e Junipers, N's, Rare Candies (just completed my playset of these). You just have to be smart about it and only put in bling that you know will be playable next season.

Well, at my league, people love to use Reverse Foil and FA cards, they put all their FA Supports or EXs in their decks because they look better for them, probably it's just my league.

It's all about preference (and often cost). I've heard from at least a couple of well-known competitive players say that they prefer minimum rarity because holofoil tends to warp over time (especially if you going between different temperatures, which can happen a lot while travelling). Though it's not really a problem nowadays, there was a point in time where cards would warp so much that it actually affected play (even in sleeves, some cards would be notably bent).

I personally find that some cards look better in their lower rarity versions (e.g. I prefer promo Mewtwo-EX to both of its other prints). Everyone has their reasons.

I've always gone for the complete RH blinging when I can. All of my Pokemon are FA if they can be, one of each Supporter (since they tend to be much more expensive for the popular stuff) and whatever shiny energy I can get my hands on. This being only for my current favorite deck, Ill build and test with whatever cards I find first.

I just finished Empire complete highest rarity, then I took it apart and put the cards in binders. i think the reason most "Competitive" players tend to shy away from shiny decks (This is my personal experience) that there is a higher chance of cards being stolen at higher level tournaments and foil cards will warp and bend with extreme temperature and humidity changes. I had a darkrai/yveltal deck swiped when I glanced behind me at a cities earlier this year. I didn't have it completely blinged out but I had a few FA and a bunch of RH in it.

Because a Skyla is a Reverse Holo Skyla is a Full Art Skyla is a...

They're the same thing. There's no point in spending often-times double just so that your cards can be (in my opinion tacky) reverse foils, or spending even MORE on a Full Art. A true competitive player probably isn't in it for a fancy deck. They're in it to win, and don't need anything past the basic card.

I like keeping the full arts/holos in my binder. In fact if it was allowed I would use my deck with proxies off all the cards, so no "bling out" for me.

I use a mixture of RH and non-RH cards in my decks. The only cards I use that are all foil are my energies. The reason being is because I can actually find more of my foil energies than the non-foil ones. :p For Full Arts, it depends what card it is, if I own the FA, and I like it better than the normal version of the card then I'll use it. But I'm not going out of my way to buy FAs and RHs. I just use whatever I trade for and already own. I don't find my holos sticking together a lot.

The idea behind reverse cards clumping is the fact that they curve easier. Curved cards will clump. And let's be honest who wants to shell out the extra money for pretty cards when they curve.

Camoclone said:
The idea behind reverse cards clumping is the fact that they curve easier. Curved cards will clump. And let's be honest who wants to shell out the extra money for pretty cards when they curve.

^ That pretty much sums it up completely. Whether the clumping thing is a myth or not, what's the point in taking the risk and paying double (or even more) what the normal cards cost? Personally, I like to treat myself to 1 FA or shiny in most of my decks because I have the spare money and I like how it looks, but I would never consider fully blinging out a deck.

I would buy all full art/secret rare/reverse cards if I could, but I'm not rich, and I have better things to waste my money on besides making my deck look fancier.

I personally played an all shiny fluffychomp deck and it clumped every game. 3 of the same card or type of card in my opening hand every time.
Also, most competitive players like to riffle shuffle their decks (I do, it makes it a hell of a lot easier o shuffle mid game), so why she'll out a few hundred bucks for stuff you're just going to damage and bend them everyday anyways. Then even if you resell them you'll take a loss strictly off condition.

I seem to have a different experience than most of you. I go to the main league in NorCal, so around half of the really good Cali players go there...
A lot of my friends have blinged out decks, mostly with FA pokemon and supporters, not necessarily shinies because they keep those in their binders or collect them. Also cards like Shiny Ultra Ball are just more rare and expensive. This is even though plenty of them play somewhat rough with their decks. I personally play promo ex cards, and sometimes I like to play multiple kinds of a card in a deck if I have them, like N nvi, N promo, N FA, and N DEX.

I think this partially has to do with them being really good, and winning lots of stuff which they can then trade towards making their decks look nice. Maybe it is a bit intimidating, idk, I don't ask

Frost Mage said:
I've never understood that myth... They're all in sleeves, and if you're shuffling properly, the minute weight differences shouldn't ever affect how the cards "stick" together.

It's not the weight that causes them to clump. The foiling on the cards produces a very weak magnetic field, which will attract other weak magnetic fields. So if you're shuffling and you shuffle a foil card next to another foil card, they will attract to each other (VERY minor attraction, not really observable) and can sometimes cause them to "hang" on to one-another during shuffles.

I've never experienced clumping, and even though a lot of my cards are pretty curved, especially the League Promos since they come that way, I've never noticed them clumping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back