Pokemon Where do the professors get the starters?

I always assumed they existed in the wild canonically, they were just only available through professors for gameplay purposes, to make them special. It would be interesting if they were only bred in captivity, but, I would presume many of them end up in the wild anyway and likely establish populations.

I really hope that they are all found in the wild, in like, the last generation of Pokémon games. You know, like, they are wild Pokémon, but they are all found in an undiscovered region.

Cinesra said:
Please explain to me how that makes any sense.

Blastoise! Poor Blastoise was exploited by evil humans and mutated to have cannons, much like Genesect.
Maybe they're fossils resurrected like the actual fossils you find in the game and then they're given to the professor for research. All of the Grass-type starters and Charizard, Typhlosion, Feraligatr are dinosaurs or ancient Pokémon, so it would sort of make sense.

I think they catch them in the wild, sense that's where Pokemon mostly come from.

[private]What a groundbreaking proposition. I never thought that Pokémon could actually come from the wild. ~ES[/private]

Well as all smart people know... Ninetales gives them to the professors to help humanity and pokemon alike.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 29
I believe they raise them and breed them or get pokemon breeders to breed them. The anime expands more on the concept, iirc there was a mudkip man who bred mudkips, Professors probably get them from people like that.

EDIT:
To expand on my theory: starters are probably extinct/ extremely rare in the wild and have been bred into captivity as a domestic species. Like goldfish, parakeets, hamsters, etc.

I always thought that the anime expands in a lot of things the cames can't, because of gameplay and size limitations and viceversa (like the "true" pokemon world is a mixture of the anime and the games, and even the manga, in some cases). The starters being only one of those things. I think it is like the anime: "starter" species are rare in the wild, but also raised and breeded specially to give to novice trainers because of their docile nature or something.

Bogleech said:
I always assumed they existed in the wild canonically, they were just only available through professors for gameplay purposes, to make them special. It would be interesting if they were only bred in captivity, but, I would presume many of them end up in the wild anyway and likely establish populations.

Hey, we finally agree in something!

Rogue ninetales said:
Well as all smart people know... Ninetales gives them to the professors to help humanity and pokemon alike.

Where exactly is the logic in that?

I personally like the theory that states that the starters are mutants- it makes lots of sense. But alas, starters were found in the wild in the anime. Maybe the professors of each region released two of each starter into the wild, and nature took its course from there?

If that's true, the anime and games aren't on the same note.

I'm guessing there are starter Pokemon breeding grounds. The desired starter is then shipped out to the Profs. to give to young trainers.

Rogue ninetales said:

Not only ninetales Zapdos flew over the oocean and found the far away ones and gave them to ninetales it waz a team effort :3

WHAT IF TEAM FLARE GETS MONEYS BY SELLING THE STARTERS AND THIS VERY QUESTION IS ANSWERED THIS GENERATION! But plot twist is once you go to where they raise them, they have deplorable conditions and are abusive to the pokemon because it saves them money and you have to put a stop to it. Double plot twist, PETA (known as PETP in the game) finds out and charges into their main headquarters after you beat the pokemon league and they arrest not only Team Flare, but you as well. TRIPLE PLOT TWIST, the head of PETP IS N! He's back and as pissed off as ever. While him ordering the Team Flare operation to be shut down is a good thing, he goes overboard as always and sinks back into his hating people using pokemon phase. But since his plan didnt work last time, THE FORTH PLOT TWIST is that he decides to go to the root of the problem. THE PEOPLE. He starts kidnapping people and holding them against their will for ransom, the ransom being the release of their pokemon. You must put a stop to his crazyness once again by doing something you'd least expect: Teaming up with your friends AND TEAM FLARE to put a stop to what PETP has become.

I think that starters are bred and distributed to professors by the region's league. It's a free "starter" pack for your own pokemon journey.
Random side question: is the league government owned? or they like regional franchises?

ryter78 said:
I think that starters are bred and distributed to professors by the region's league. It's a free "starter" pack for your own pokemon journey.
Random side question: is the league government owned? or they like regional franchises?

As I understand it, the league is some sort of "government" in all pokemon related matters (E4, pokemon centers, pokemon regulation, funding for pokemon reaserch, providing trainers with starters, etc, they probably have financial interests in pokemon related enterprises) but it seems to be in a by region basis, since there are different league championships and E4. As far as a political government, I don't have a clue... maybe it isn't needed. Said that, the pokemon world got even more awesome.

professorlight said:
ryter78 said:

As I understand it, the league is some sort of "government" in all pokemon related matters (E4, pokemon centers, pokemon regulation, funding for pokemon reaserch, providing trainers with starters, etc, they probably have financial interests in pokemon related enterprises) but it seems to be in a by region basis, since there are different league championships and E4. As far as a political government, I don't have a clue... maybe it isn't needed. Said that, the pokemon world got even more awesome.

Well it seems we might get the answer with Team Flare at least~

I'm thinking some kind of special breeder, or some weird, sealed-off area that has starter Pokemon in the grass. I think they purposely want people to wonder about this.

Frezgle said:
Blob55 said:
Actually, Pokémon is in hexadecimal, not binary.

That's like saying I'm made of molecules, not atoms.

I've always thought that maybe Starter Pokemon don't even exist in the wild - they've been selectively bred over many different generations to be entirely domesticated, and whatever they were bred from is either no longer around, or no longer resembles them. Would explain why you can't find them in the wild, and they're always conveniently a Grass/Fire/Water trio.

I always really did think it was a big coincidence that there's always a Fire/Water/Grass trio, each with three stages, in each region. Breeding, I suppose, does explain it, but they could just be very rare and still exist from the wild.

Riskbreakers said:
From the farm. Kinda like asking where do you get your KFC chicken from?

You just said Kentucky fried chicken chicken. :p

Back