Pokemon Where do the professors get the starters?

Tsukeo

Skitty is so cute! <3
I've always been wondering about this. I myself have no theory - maybe they're extinct, and a few trainers bred them or something; I don't know.

Also thought this could be a topic where we could discuss this topic. :p

Brave Vesperia

Forum Smod
Forum Super Mod
Forum Mod
RE: Where does the professors get the starters?

I always thought they found them in an area in the wild that nobody else knows about. Or that Professors have a special lab where they breed Starter Pokemon.

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member

Probably the Nature Preserve or some special hidden area like that.

iSharingan

Competitive VG Tutor and Gizoid

If you remember from the Anime (in the Hoenn region episodes), there are supposedly 'secret' breeders of the starters commissioned by the pokemon league to raise them. The episode that featured this is where Brock get's his Mudkip, one that had not been chosen before and was "too big now" for it to be offered to beginning trainers. I know the anime is not canon, but this seems like the most likely explanation in general.

don()shinobi

PokeBeach's Yu-Gi-Oh enthusiast. I guess.
Tsukeo said:
maybe they're extinct, and a few trainers bred them or something; I don't know.
...do you know what it meant to be extinct?

Considering they've been seen thriving in the wild before (take Ash's Totodile and Snivy, for instance), chances are they're just captured and bred, then shipped to the professors or something.

Rusty Sticks

♪~ ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
There was a picture a loooooooooooooooooooong time ago of a Red and Blue walkthrough guide thing. The picture had a blurb that said after beating the E4, you would get a key to go into the grass outside Pallet Town. The grass held lots of rare Pokemon, including the starters.

Obviously, it's not true. But, it can be assumed that at one point we were supposed to get to the grass, somehow, but this area was cut near the end of the game's development.

don()shinobi

PokeBeach's Yu-Gi-Oh enthusiast. I guess.
Rusty Sticks said:
There was a picture a loooooooooooooooooooong time ago of a Red and Blue walkthrough guide thing. The picture had a blurb that said after beating the E4, you would get a key to go into the grass outside Pallet Town. The grass held lots of rare Pokemon, including the starters.

Obviously, it's not true. But, it can be assumed that at one point we were supposed to get to the grass, somehow, but this area was cut near the end of the game's development.
Nah, that guide was full of crap.

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member
This explains where those rumors came from.

Tsukeo

Skitty is so cute! <3
don()shinobi said:
Tsukeo said:
maybe they're extinct, and a few trainers bred them or something; I don't know.
...do you know what it meant to be extinct?

Considering they've been seen thriving in the wild before (take Ash's Totodile and Snivy, for instance), chances are they're just captured and bred, then shipped to the professors or something.

The clock was 10 in the morning, and I had my math lesson; I may have forgotten the meaning of extinct. :p

Anyway, who wrote that Red and Blue Walkthrough anyway? I mean, who gave them those "facts"?

iSharingan

Tsukeo said:
I may have forgotten the meaning of extinct. :p

The games don't help either, declaring the pokemon resurrected from fossils to be extinct while you (and several NPC) can have them in your team verry much 'alive' (well, as alive as in-game entities can be :p. We all know they're just 1s and 0s on some computer chip)

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
iSharingan said:
(well, as alive as in-game entities can be :p. We all know they're just 1s and 0s on some computer chip)

Actually, Pokémon is in hexadecimal, not binary.

mastermagpie

Aspiring Trainer
Re: RE: Where do the professors get the starters?

Blob55 said:
iSharingan said:
(well, as alive as in-game entities can be :p. We all know they're just 1s and 0s on some computer chip)

But on the most basic level, It's the 'on' and 'off' of the transistors... So it is binary, just read in hexadecimal?

iSharingan

mastermagpie said:
Blob55 said:

But on the most basic level, It's the 'on' and 'off' of the transistors... So it is binary, just read in hexadecimal?
You're almost there mastermagpie. Hexadecimal is the shorthand of binary. A, for example, represents 10 which is more compact than 1010, it's binary equivalent. By using 2 characters and the values 0-9 and A-F to represent 0-15 it becomes possible to denote 256 values with just two characters, defining a full byte (8 bits) of data quickly and efficiently. Electronic games like Pokemon are all executed on a binary level. Hexadecimal and programing languages just make the programs human-readable (term used loosely) before they are translated to binary (aka Machine Code) for execution. I know what I'm talking about.

Frezgle

Winged Death
Blob55 said:

That's like saying I'm made of molecules, not atoms.

I've always thought that maybe Starter Pokemon don't even exist in the wild - they've been selectively bred over many different generations to be entirely domesticated, and whatever they were bred from is either no longer around, or no longer resembles them. Would explain why you can't find them in the wild, and they're always conveniently a Grass/Fire/Water trio.

Flys Gone 2071

Also known as Flygon2071
Human society has made them move from the wild into another habitat. The professor finds them in that "habitat". Is that or the professors mutated them so they are impossible to find in the wild.

Gentlefish

Hero of Truth
I actually like the extinct-in-the-wild theory. Somehow it just... makes sense, you know? Or maybe it doesn't - starters tend to be pretty awesome stat-wise, at least before you attend your first multiplayer tournament...

Freezerbern

Aspiring Trainer
Maybe it's like Mirage Island in the Hoenn games, and they can only get there at certain times. And from what I understood about Oak, is that he caught them on his Pokemon journey and has either had them forever or bred the originals.