TPCi and their Pull Rates

bagoly14

Collecting is expensive -_-
proddy said:
bagoly14 said:
I don't see why everyone is complaining...I mean I thoroughly enjoy the thought of cards like Deoxys EX and Thundurus EX being even more expensive because of random pull rates :rolleyes:

This whole concept is ridiculous. If this is true then boxes should not cost over 45$.

Then again I don't care because I stopped collecting English cards 6 months into it because of this kind of nonsense. Bought some old WOTC boxes, got angry with the quality of the cards and never looked back.

They can double dip as well. Make super duper awesome Ultra Rares like Thundurus and Deoxys, make the rates random as hell to drive the prices up. Then a few months later put them in tins and tank the price but while scraping in the cash from tin sales.

Yeah but the box sales would dip so hard. Less people will buy boxes once it becomes more well known that rates are all over the place, especially tournament players. The possibility of weighing boxes now also becomes 100% possible since there is quite a bit of difference between 4-5 FA and 0 FA. Also the profit margin is smaller on the tins I'm pretty sure since I would assume printing paper is less expensive than making the tin. Just a guess though.

I don't usually like comments but MSP:

1291131680_two-thumbs-up.jpg

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member
bagoly14 said:
I don't see why everyone is complaining...I mean I thoroughly enjoy the thought of cards like Deoxys EX and Thundurus EX being even more expensive because of random pull rates :rolleyes:

So you would be happy with

omahanime said:
I opened a box of Plasma Storm

8 holos
Pulled 2 RH from 1 pack

And remember Japan sometimes follows TPCi lead.

bagoly14

omahanime said:
bagoly14 said:

So you would be happy with

omahanime said:
I opened a box of Plasma Storm

8 holos
Pulled 2 RH from 1 pack

And remember Japan sometimes follows TPCi lead.

I was being sarcastic, and I highly doubt the Japanese will be foolish enough to do that to their pull rates. They didn't do reverse holos so they won't follow suit and do random pull rates because competitive cards are much cheaper over there compared to here - doing random pull rates would inflate the market which would be self destructive in my opinion. My opinion is based on the fact that I've seen many more bad boxes than good ones this rotation. Besides, the Japanese social mentality is based on efficiency and assimilation (more so than in the west), so doing random useless counter productive things also seems unlikely in my opinion. The random pull rate box schtick can only work in the West where people can afford to pay 90$ a box and get nothing and then still go out and buy the cards they need online/more boxes.

bagoly14

Salamencetrainer34 said:
They did reverses in the HGSS sets.

Yeah for about what...4 sets? Obviously they realized following TPCi is not worth it and that reverse holo cards are just gimmicks.

PokePhD

PokéBeach Verified Seller
If premium cards weren't so rare I don't think this would be an issue.

As far as English cards go I was already put off by the low quality and high frequency of factory errors.

proddy

Aspiring Trainer
SoulWind said:
If premium cards weren't so rare I don't think this would be an issue.

As far as English cards go I was already put off by the low quality and high frequency of factory errors.

Yeah I've had many cards damaged out of the booster pack for Plasma Freeze. The damage is a slight crease in the top left corner. Usually with reverse holographics and some rare and uncommon cards.

Binx345

Verified Seller
I want a box minimum and no maxium. Like 3-4 UR being the minimum ( min 1 FA if there are FA). I like the idea of no maximum, meaning some people could hit the jackpot.

I am not even sure I really believe this employee who claims this. I think, in all actuality, it could be that they are just trying to rush out product and getting a little sloppy with quality control. WHICH would also explain the many print errors (those shiny miscuts are slightly cool, but damaged cards or corners are not). The "its random" could just be a cover-up.

I think it had been many years since they actually put "1:3 packs has a premium card" on the pack wrappers. Those premiums could be just a holo rare. But still I think that should be minimum (1 in 3 packs is at least a holo rare), and then with reverse holo rares you can actually often beat those odds which I do like!

Most players, collectors, pokefans (if not rich kids or adults with well established careers) can not afford to just buy a case of every set. I mean to get all the shinies in plasma freeze, I would probably need to buy 3 cases and then may get doubles and be short some shinies. That is about $1800! INSANELY UNFAIR! For hardcore collectors like me, it makes getting a complete set soo hard and yeah it may take me a year to get everything from plasma freeze.

Daelum

Climbing the stairs to the top
Binx345 said:
Most players, collectors, pokefans (if not rich kids or adults with well established careers) can not afford to just buy a case of every set. I mean to get all the shinies in plasma freeze, I would probably need to buy 3 cases and then may get doubles and be short some shinies. That is about $1800! INSANELY UNFAIR! For hardcore collectors like me, it makes getting a complete set soo hard and yeah it may take me a year to get everything from plasma freeze.

That's where the second-hand market comes in. Instead of buying booster boxes till you pull all the shinies, you can just buy the singles online/in person. That will save you a lot of money.

pokemoncatcher

Aspiring Trainer
These pull rates are still a lot better that dragonball z one ultra rare in every 3 boxes and some sags were even 6 to 12 boxes and foil one three packs some times 2

evilpacman

Voltorb Collector
pokemoncatcher said:
These pull rates are still a lot better that dragonball z one ultra rare in every 3 boxes and some sags were even 6 to 12 boxes and foil one three packs some times 2

Oh God, dont even get me started on those lol

proddy

Aspiring Trainer
Binx345 said:
I want a box minimum and no maxium. Like 3-4 UR being the minimum ( min 1 FA if there are FA). I like the idea of no maximum, meaning some people could hit the jackpot.

I am not even sure I really believe this employee who claims this. I think, in all actuality, it could be that they are just trying to rush out product and getting a little sloppy with quality control. WHICH would also explain the many print errors (those shiny miscuts are slightly cool, but damaged cards or corners are not). The "its random" could just be a cover-up.

I think it had been many years since they actually put "1:3 packs has a premium card" on the pack wrappers. Those premiums could be just a holo rare. But still I think that should be minimum (1 in 3 packs is at least a holo rare), and then with reverse holo rares you can actually often beat those odds which I do like!

I noticed some football cards in the post office the other day had the statement of Super Rare cards in every x packs, and was surprised I never saw it on Pokemon. But it seems on average to be 1/3 for a holo, but more like 1/9 for ultra rares.

I know a guy who opened 3 sealed cases and 2 cases worth of loose boxes (12 boxes). He got multiples of every ultra rare except for Ultra Ball. 4 Max Potions, 1 of each Shiny Pokemon, except 2 Garbodors and zero ultra balls. So even after 5 cases, he didn't get a complete master set.

Of course he runs a shop so he isn't doing it for his personal collection. You're much better off buying singles then trying to complete a set through boosters/boxes. Sure, try your luck to get the more expensive cards through boxes but don't bank on getting everything.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
proddy said:
\
I noticed some football cards in the post office the other day had the statement of Super Rare cards in every x packs, and was surprised I never saw it on Pokemon. But it seems on average to be 1/3 for a holo, but more like 1/9 for ultra rares.

This came up in another thread somewhat recently. Pokémon packs did used to have a statement like that, and then at some point they also had a line about having a holo in every pack (referring to the reverse holos). Not exactly sure when they stopped doing that, but I don't think it exists on any of the BW booster packs at least. The only thing they mention about pack contents now is the TCGO code card.

blargh257

IT'S BEEN THREE THOUSAND YEARS
I may not buy boxes, but this doesn't seem right. A person should buy this product and be able to assure themselves they will get at least X URs.

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Besides having the chance of having bad pulls, you also get lots of cards with a vertical scratch down the middle.

viper.fox

色違いピジョット
Wow. Well that just buried the hatchet for me.

I was considering for the longest time continuing having a dual collection, but given the frankly horrendous cost of the packs over here ($8 per pack in Australia, and if you find somewhere selling boxes expect to pay $120-150; the same as buying a box with shipping online to here), the steady decline of print quality, vinegar smelling inks, terrible card stock, and now deliberately fluxed box rates and not case rates meaning a box could be beyond crap in pulls? On top of overly large sets with too much crammed in?

Nope. I'm done. Here's the towel. Congratulations on not only running the playable TCG into the ground by making it harder to attain desired cards, but really ruining things for collectors TPCi.

The sense of adventure is fine to preach about, but practicing it isn't exactly working so great. I have more of a sense of adventure opening random Japanese boosters when I'm over there because a) it's fun, and b) even random boosters you could get an amazing pull 1/3 packs. Heck I got a FA N, UR Altaria, and FA Black Kyurem from 10 randomised booster packs that'd been chucked in. If I buy a box from Japan? I know I will pull 99%-100% of the set without SR/UR cards. It's also hilariously cheaper for much higher quality prints and overall better cards.

Daelum

Climbing the stairs to the top
I too was considering switching from English to Japanese, but I have decided to ultimately stay primarily exclusively English (Japanese exceptions include the gold stars, PLAY promos, and the Base set, naturally).
Why did I choose this? Certainly not because it is easier to pull the whole set from 1 box. Certainly not for the original card art, as there is none. Certainly not for the card quality (I've opened 10 Japanese packs and can already tell the quality is multiple times better). I chose English over Japanese because, in the grand scheme of things, it's much easier to have a fully complete English collection than it is a Japanese collection. (I know this is a bit off topic, but I think it's worth saying). The rarest officially released English cards are the trophy cards, which, if my knowledge serves me correctly, tend to stay under $3,000 (definitely under $5k). In order to fully complete a Japanese card collection, you'd need to drop at least $10k on an Illustrator, but by the time I got that much money, they'd all be in the hands of collectors and it would cost a lot more than $10k (minimum of $30k haha).

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Daelum said:
I chose English over Japanese because, in the grand scheme of things, it's much easier to have a fully complete English collection than it is a Japanese collection. (I know this is a bit off topic, but I think it's worth saying). The rarest officially released English cards are the trophy cards, which, if my knowledge serves me correctly, tend to stay under $3,000 (definitely under $5k). In order to fully complete a Japanese card collection, you'd need to drop at least $10k on an Illustrator, but by the time I got that much money, they'd all be in the hands of collectors and it would cost a lot more than $10k (minimum of $30k haha).

But the chances of getting those English cards are slim, because once those expensive rare cards go into a collection, they seldom come out.

Plus Japan has the advantage of art that never makes it into English.

Binx345

Verified Seller
For me, I would like to own 1 of every card (meaning the art and/or set). I know that is impossible, so I try to stick with mainly favorite pokemon and pack sets. I do go after most Japanese exclusive promos that we never get in English. I used to buy Japanese boxes. I got better quality and better odds for those UR's. HOWEVER, TCPI has ruined even this for me because they had to go make the rule "In America you may only play English cards in tournaments" (minus worlds I guess). I love to play. So that meant, English boxes because I just can not afford both. Yet in Japan, players can play with Japanese or English cards. In Germany, players can play with English or German cards. To me this is very unfair, and it is just the American corporate wanting to get more money.

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Binx345 said:
For me, I would like to own 1 of every card (meaning the art and/or set). I know that is impossible,

It is? Rats! Why did no one tell me sooner.

Binx345 said:
it is just the American corporate wanting to get more money.

The bottom line.