The Yu-Gi-Oh Thread

I started to make a deck tonight when I got home. I built it around strategy breaking and The Winged Dragon of Ra, which I got three hours ago.

gg

I kinda dropped YGO right around when the Elemental Dragons were coming into play, and with the new banlist and all, it's as good a time as any to try to get back into the meta. I'm gonna look around for some popular/fun decks and see if I can't get a couple of good games on DevPro.

I would think that too, but Bujins exist and they're pretty gnarly. ...unless you feel like playing Bujins.
Dragon Rulers was a joke of a deck.

...okay fine, when the babies were legal, it was insane. After that, it was a joke.

DNA said:
...okay fine, when the babies were legal, it was insane. After that, it was a joke.

My point exactly. With all of those crazy dragon decks going around, it seemed like a good time to drop out of the metagame. I've been hearing good things lately, so I figured I might see what decks are making a buzz nowadays.

Oh, there's so much you can do with WATER decks nowadays, though most have diminished to simple 'lol mermail tidal' builds.

I personally prefer Lemuria Frogs myself.

don()shinobi said:
Oh, there's so much you can do with WATER decks nowadays, though most have diminished to simple 'lol mermail tidal' builds.

I personally prefer Lemuria Frogs myself.

Pretty much. Mermails are the only competitively relevant Water deck nowadays aside from the odd Sea Lancer that tops regionals (I don't even comprehend that deck).

A version of Mermails involving the "bad" ones (Hilde, Mander and Dine) that makes death-defying first turn combos (example: three cards = Gaios+Chain+Angineer, Bahamut+Chain+Trite+Angineer+Tidal, Rank 4+Rank 5, Fortress+Chain+Tidal OTK, etc,) is my main deck, for example. The only noticeable changes in Mermails from the last format are an increase in traps, the disappearance of Aqua Spirit, and the in-and-out chance of running tuners again.

woahwoahwoah. Wait a moment. Three cards make THAT? Please explain, I'm not familiar with Mermails at all, really.

Here are the combos. It's a crazy deck. I even have room for 10 traps.

Hand: Teus + Pike/Hilde + Water
summon Teus, search Pike/Hilde
summon Pike, search Ocea
Hilde specials Ocea
trade Teus for Mander & Level 3
overlay for any Rank 4 (Bahamut, Dweller, Chain), detach Mander
can overlay Hilde/Ocea for Rank 3/4/5 by banishing Mander
(this combo can give you the Bahamut/Angineer/Trite combo from last format, but you have many more options)

Hand: Teus + Ocea + Pike/Gunde
summon Teus (discard Ocea), search Pike/Gunde
summon Pike, search Dine
Gunde specials Ocea
trade Teus for Mander & Hilde (Mander in Attack position)
overlay for Angineer, detach Hilde and target Mander
Hilde specials Dine, Dine specials Hilde
overlay Pike/Mander for Bahamut/Chain, detach Mander (summon Trite/send Tidal)
can overlay Dine/Hilde for Rank 3/4/5, preferably the Bahamut/Chain you didn't summon first

Field: Linde
destroy Linde (e.g. by ramming into opponent's monster)
summon Dine, Dine specials Linde
banish Mander from grave
overlay for Volcasaurus (end game option)

Hand: Teus + Water
summon Teus, search Ocea
summon Ocea
trade Teus for Linde & Level 3
overlay Ocea/Level 3 for Zenmaines/Angineer (worst case play, Zenmaines gets rid of Dweller easily)

Hand: Teus + Dragoons + Tidal
summon Teus, search Megalo/Leed and Ocea
summon Ocea
trade Teus for Mander/Hilde
summon Tidal (banishes Teus/Dragoons)
overlay for Leviair, detach Hilde
special Dragoons and Megalo/Leed (latter from hand)
overlay Mander/Dragoons for Bahamut, detach Dragoons (search whatever)
overlay Megalo or Leed/Tidal for Gaios
(you can also tribute the Trite to discard a card from your opponent's hand with Leed and make Dracossack if you do so)

Hand: Teus + Pike/Hilde + Water
do the first combo until you get a field of Ocea/Mander/Pike/Level 3
overlay for Chain, detach Mander (dump Tidal)
summon Tidal
overlay Ocea/Level 3 for Shark Fortress/Volcasaurus (Fortress=OTK on open field, Volcasaurus=OTK on field with one opponent's monster of 1000+)

Hand: Teus + Ocea + Pike/Gunde + Water
summon Teus, search Pike/Gunde
summon Ocea
trade Teus for Mander & Hilde (Mander in Attack position)
overlay for Angineer, detach Hilde
Hilde specials Pike, discard Gunde
search any level 3, Gunde specials Teus
overlay for Chain, detach Mander (dump Tidal)
summon Tidal, overlay for Gaios/Rank 7 (amazing first turn lockdown field with Gaios)

don()shinobi said:
jeeeeeeeeeesus

I'll have to keep this page up if I ever decide to play Mermails...

Yeahhh :cool:

I'm also Kata Garasu on Pojo, and I have my Mermail deck posted there with a list of these combos in the thread's OP (I know you're a member there too).

Yeah, because most Asian players (including the Chinese, who are going to be getting their first LEGITIMATE Chinese YGO cards in a few months) aren't spoiled with what they get...they have to work with what they're given and not depend on TCG exclusives to make or break something. Japan played Mermails better than anybody ever did until Abyssteus showed up...and it just snowballed from there.

Also, GIANT ENEMY CRAB
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_52:_Diamond_Crab_King

It's finally a card I'd run with 'Attack the Moon!'. But even without it, rank 4 staple, anybody?

Back