The Yu-Gi-Oh Thread

Serperior

~
Advanced Member
Don't forget having the ability to use Skill Drain which shuts down a /lot/. I haven't played in months because of getting back into Pokémon, but dang. I've watched some videos and this deck looks absolutely nuts. Banisher of the Radiance, three Wiretap, and three MST is probably how I'm going to go about this format to start.

Uralya

*ponders everything*
That's what I thought lol. Qli's are just getting better and better, with virtually no bad cards: Access, Alias, the other normal pendulum, another Skill Drain, etc. They would probably be the best investment although BA has that consistency (no power plays except Virgil though).

Speaking of Qli support, they all come in Secrets of Eternity. What are thoughts on that set as a whole? I discussed it briefly with don(), and it seems a lot like generic support for the high tier stuff along with a ton of legacy support - nothing much else.

Lastly, I'm taking a look at The First of the Dragons (Wyarm the Progenitor Dragon). MPB tokens + Fusion Gate or King of the Swamp + Fusion Substitute basically means spamming (infinite) copies of this guy.

Haunted Water

DEFT Lunar
So while testing decks recently, I struck gold when i realized that BESD can still be relevant to the game today by using Maiden. I need to test this deck first before i make it, but it has the potential to be a well rounded deck.

Uralya

*ponders everything*
New ban list is out: http://www.yugioh-card.com/en/limited/

0:
Super Polymerization (Shaddoll didn't need that; they already were missing two of them)

1:
Artifact Moralltach (lol, a little late of a hit, but it does kill Artifacts as a whole pretty much. Scythe anyone?)
Dark Strike Fighter (errata'd, so not as broken as you might think)
Snatch Steal (frightening and intriguing at the same time, and OTKs about to go up in number)

2:
Honest (not too big, but nice for decks like Tellarknights to help keep Triverr on the field)
Goyo Guardian (doesn't matter)
Dark Hole (big trouble for rogue but not for meta decks)

3:
Blackwing- Gale the Whirlwind (ur .dek is still tresh, nub)
Mermail Abyssgunde (*goes back to working on Mermail deck again*)
Reborn Tengu (plant synchro is still meh at best)
Reasoning (don't know of anything relevant that benefits from this)
The Transmigration Prophecy (doesn't matter)

This list is lacking in necessary hits, but such is to be expected from a company where promotion of new cards is priority. Ah well. The unlimits are nice to have but don't exactly make up for this. It's still a BA/Shaddoll/Qliphort world out there.

don()shinobi

PokeBeach's Yu-Gi-Oh enthusiast. I guess.
1 Snatch Steal.
2/3 Hidden Armory.
1 Raigeki.
2 Dark Hole.
3 Fire Lake.
Virgil.

My BA deck has pretty much become NO MONSTERS ALLOWED.dek. I love it.

Chaos Jackal

Legend of the Past
It would be worth trying to replay Beelze just for the sake of tweaking it so you can summon DSF and break everything.
Snatch Steal seems... well, I dunno. I never expected it to be unbanned.
Dark Hole is kinda obvious, with Raigeki out the instances you might choose it over the latter are limited, not to mention that it being at 2 doesn't really matter, as there's usually hardly any space to run one, let alone two Holes.
Gale brings me back to the golden era of Synchros, the Blackwing dominance... ah, these were the good times. No trash like Pendulum and Xyz.

Serperior

~
Advanced Member
How can one search for Snatch Steal? That card is op, I ordered one for the sake of ordering one, but...how do I make use of it?

Uralya

*ponders everything*
Serperior said:
How can one search for Snatch Steal? That card is op, I ordered one for the sake of ordering one, but...how do I make use of it?

In a deck with a lack of normal summons, Hidden Armory searches it out (as don seems to have picked up on). The card is really just staple utility - nothing too situational. If you have it in your hand, it will help. Snag an opponent's monster like you would with Mind Control (to Sync/Xyz/fuse/etc.), but you now can also attack with it or tribute it to get rid of it. OTKs will be much easier with this, and taking care of Vanity's/Majesty's Fiend is too.

I hope that's what you meant or close to it.

Serperior

~
Advanced Member
Yup. I feel like everyone's gonna be running this ish now. It's ridiculous.

What's prominent nowadays? I still have my anti-meta deck with Banisher and the Fire/Ice Hand around, but what should I be concerned with? Qliphorts and Burning Abyss? I know Qlips just summon everything and Skill Drain you, but I'm not sure why Burning Abyss is decent. Sorry for my ignorance. I've been playing Pokémon. xD

Uralya

*ponders everything*
Serperior said:
What's prominent nowadays? Qliphorts and Burning Abyss? I know Qlips just summon everything and Skill Drain you, but I'm not sure why Burning Abyss is decent.
Post-banlist, I would say that Qliphort and BA are top dogs, Shaddoll are a little behind but still in the running, and then there's a large gap between it and the fourth best (Tellarknights, and Mermails are a little behind them).

BA are the most consistent deck that Yugioh has seen in a long while - float Cir and Graff, utilize every discard trap, blow stuff up with Fire Lake, shuffle in with Virgil, start the engine with Dante, swarm with special summon effects and negate backrow/monsters with Alich and Calcab. They also have Pleiades, Downerd, Alucard, 3 TGU, the Majesty's Fiend + Stormforth lock, Emptiness, etc. It may not have quite as big a punch as Qliphort, but the field presence and disruption of BA is unmatched.

Shaddoll are the same as before, with 3 Denko Sekka to stop BA's backrow and drop Midrash safely, but they lost Super Poly (one of their only pros against Qliphort, who now beat them a solid 70% of the time) and have to compensate.

Tellerknights are Triverr.dek and have two Honest and a ton of backrow. Generic, yes, but they are consistent and have nice power plays when possible.

Finally, Mermails are imo the best rogue deck now that they have a maximum on Gunde again. Mermails can play a very adaptive style, can attempt to lock Qliphort with Gaios (at least attacking, possibly boosted by Dweller), can use Undine to pop floodgates, can run Trap Stun to push through BA/Qliphort backrow, can use Megalo/Tidal to out Midrash safely, etc. They do struggle against BA however (and Qliphort to a slightly less extent, but Shaddoll are manageable), but that's the case with pretty much every deck.

Serperior

~
Advanced Member
Hm. So does that mean Banisher of the Radiance is still very strong? Macro, Soul Drain, they still cripple these decks? As you know, I'm anti-meta, and I live to tick everyone off.

don()shinobi

2 of the big meta decks (BA and Dolls) hate that, so yeah, it would be pretty good, I'd assume.
But it'd do pretty much absolutely nothing against Qliphorts.

Uralya: From your experience, which is a bigger meta deck? Qliphorts or BA?

Uralya

*ponders everything*
don()shinobi said:
2 of the big meta decks (BA and Dolls) hate that, so yeah, it would be pretty good, I'd assume.
But it'd do pretty much absolutely nothing against Qliphorts.

Uralya: From your experience, which is a bigger meta deck? Qliphorts or BA?
First part - sounds about right. Antimeta only hits just over 50% of the meta :p

As for what the bigger meta deck is, I would say that BA is the better in the hands of a skilled pilot. Qliphorts will be stronger after SECE releases, but they are very easy to learn and predictable. BA has massive consistency (better than Qli) and the ability to utilize some of the most useful techs in this meta, notably the Fiends and discard traps. They are reactive and self-sufficient at the same time, with floating power, sheer advantage and disruption to boot. While lacking the game-ending punch of Qli, there is much more that BA can do to maintain resiliency and smash opposition with its adaptability and consistency. Qli are somewhat a meta example of Dark World - easy to learn, end games fast with the right hands, and are very vulnerable to the side deck.

Verdict: BA until SECE, Qli after from what I can judge

don()shinobi

...and just like that, all but 2 of the previously unknown TCG Exclusives have been leaked. Including a Ritual Spell that for some ungodly reason works wonders without the monster it Ritual Summons. Wonderful.
Did you do that analysis before or after the leaks?

Uralya

*ponders everything*
don()shinobi said:
...and just like that, all but 2 of the previously unknown TCG Exclusives have been leaked. Including a Ritual Spell that for some ungodly reason works wonders without the monster it Ritual Summons. Wonderful.
Did you do that analysis before or after the leaks?

Before.

For reference:
Good and Evil of the Burning Abyss
Ritual Spell
This card is used to Ritual Summon “Malacoda, Netherlord of the Burning Abyss”. You must also Tribute monsters from your hand or field whose total Levels equal 6 or more. During your Main Phase, except the turn this card was sent to the Graveyard: you can banish this card from your Graveyard, then send 1 “Burning Abyss” monster from your hand; add 1 “Burning Abyss” monster from your deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Good and Evil of the Burning Abyss” once per turn.

Farfa, Malebranche of the Burning Abyss
Level 3 DARK Fiend-Type Effect Monster
ATK 1000
DEF 1900
If you control a monster that is not a “Burning Abyss” monster, destroy this card. You can only use 1 of the following effects of “Farfa, Malebranche of the Burning Abyss” per turn, and only once that turn.
• If you control no Spell/Trap Cards: You can Special Summon this card from your hand.
• If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 monster on the field; banish it until the End Phase.

Cagna, Malebranche of the Burning Abyss
ATK 1500
DEF 300
If you control a monster that is not a “Burning Abyss” monster, destroy this card. You can only use 1 of the following effects of “Cagna, Malebranche of the Burning Abyss” per turn, and only once that turn.
• If you control no Spell/Trap Cards: You can Special Summon this card from your hand.
• If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can send 1 “Burning Abyss” Spell/Trap Card from your Deck to the Graveyard.

Libic, Malebranche of the Burning Abyss
ATK 1300
DEF 700
If you control a monster that is not a “Burning Abyss” monster, destroy this card. You can only use 1 of the following effects of “Libic, Malebranche of the Burning Abyss” per turn, and only once that turn.
• If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 Level 3 DARK Fiend-Type monster from your hand, but its effects are negated.

Malacoda, Netherlord of the Burning Abyss
Level 6 DARK Fiend-Type Ritual Monster
ATK 2700
DEF 2200
You can Ritual Summon this card with “Good & Evil in the Burning Abyss”. Must be Ritual Summoned, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. Once per turn, during either player’s turn: You can send one “Burning Abyss” monster from your hand to the Graveyard, then target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; until the end of this turn, that target loses ATK and DEF equal to the ATK and DEF of the “Burning Abyss” monster sent to the Graveyard this way. If this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard: You can target 1 card on the field; send it to the Graveyard.

It's hard to say given this new support. Malacoda does little against the current meta, but somehow his Ritual Spell is viable without him as you said. The trio of Malebranches this set are also very good and power up the deck as a whole by a bit - more setup, more room to end the game, and more speed. I suppose testing will decide, but BA looks to be improved by this turn of events.

Mr.Muffin

Cooler than Everyone who is less Cool than Me!
Snatch Steal, Raigeki, and Black Luster Soldier-Envoy of Beginning are fine for the game, but apparently Stratos is too broken.

don()shinobi

I'm guessing it's going to come back sometime after the HERO structure deck comes out. Unbanning Stratos could give the HERO Strike deck a boost in sales after it kinda fades to financial obscurity.
Or an excuse to reprint it to sell more product.

Haunted Water

DEFT Lunar
Does anyone here still play anymore? How have the new banlists affected your playstye, what deck you run and how you run it? I'll be back on after i get home to answer my own questions to hopefully create some discussion.

Mr.Muffin

Cooler than Everyone who is less Cool than Me!
I just bought some of the stuff I needed for my Battlin' Boxer deck. I was able to pull Number 101 in a tin.

I think the decks to really look out for in CORE-on in descending order are:
Tier 0:
Nekroz
Tier 1:
Burning
Shadoll
Qliphorts
Satellarknights
Tier 2:
Kozmos
Chicken Race
Tier 3:
Ignknights
Masked HERO

Konami really, really needs to ban Royal Magical Library. It is only used in degenerate decks like Exodia, and other FTKs.