The Yu-Gi-Oh Thread

Patriots Fan said:
Wow, lightsworns are still good? I remember being the only one out of like 8 Yugioh players at my high school who ran a LS deck, I think back in 2010-2011 (I started using them right when they were introduced in the Light of Destruction set). They're fun to use, at least when not decking out, lol. I feel like building up my Ligtsworn deck again, but unfortunately I sold a few of the staples from that deck, including a Judgment dragon which I pulled :/

Lightsworn are good but not great (mid-low tier two). The only reasons that they top events are the size of their playerbase, their extreme sack factor, the attraction of cards like JD and the Dragon Rulers, their ease of play and their ease of pay (literally three structure decks and a few lucky packs of PGLD and DRLG to make a decent build). They only hold their weight now because of new support from the latest structure deck and the Dragon Rulers (well, two of them). All in all, it's a completely different build from earlier Lightsworn builds except for Recharge, Lumina and JD spam pretty much.

@don: What happened in particular? I wasn't on the stream.

Uralya said:
Patriots Fan said:
Wow, lightsworns are still good? I remember being the only one out of like 8 Yugioh players at my high school who ran a LS deck, I think back in 2010-2011 (I started using them right when they were introduced in the Light of Destruction set). They're fun to use, at least when not decking out, lol. I feel like building up my Ligtsworn deck again, but unfortunately I sold a few of the staples from that deck, including a Judgment dragon which I pulled :/

Lightsworn are good but not great (mid-low tier two). The only reasons that they top events are the size of their playerbase, their extreme sack factor, the attraction of cards like JD and the Dragon Rulers, their ease of play and their ease of pay (literally three structure decks and a few lucky packs of PGLD and DRLG to make a decent build). They only hold their weight now because of new support from the latest structure deck and the Dragon Rulers (well, two of them). All in all, it's a completely different build from earlier Lightsworn builds except for Recharge, Lumina and JD spam pretty much.

@don: What happened in particular? I wasn't on the stream.

Thanks for the info, I see alot has changed in these past 3-4 years. So buying a booster box of LODT would do little good if I'm trying to build my LS deck, right? Hmm guess I'll just buy singles then.

Patriots Fan said:
Thanks for the info, I see alot has changed in these past 3-4 years. So buying a booster box of LODT would do little good if I'm trying to build my LS deck, right? Hmm guess I'll just buy singles then.

Only if you want shiny LS's do you want that old box :p If you grab three Realm of Light Structure Decks, that contains all of the core you need. You could even get two and buy one more of the three-ofs that only come singly in the structures. A lot of them can also be found in Premium Gold (Necro Gardna, Eclipse Wyvern <- 3-of is in there too) as holos with gold borders. As for singles, the extra deck is rather expensive (MPB Dracossack, Number 11 Big Eye, Divine Dragon Knight Felgrand, Silent Honor ARK, Exciton Knight) or hard to find (AOJ Decisive Armor, Goyo Guardian, Black Rose Dragon), but the bare minimum can work as well. There's also a hard-to-get two/three-of called Kuribandit that mills five when tributed after being NS for you to set-up, found in Dragons of Legend alongside Soul Charge (three-of Monster Reborn, SS as many from grave as you want at 1000 LP per monster).

The deck will soon be outclassed by the archetypes in Duelist Alliance, but it is still more than playable and can be quite fun indeed. Here is a pretty decent main deck for you to work off of. Also, you can hover over the card name in the list and it will give the effect, set, and average prices.

Uralya said:
Patriots Fan said:

Only if you want shiny LS's do you want that old box :p If you grab three Realm of Light Structure Decks, that contains all of the core you need. You could even get two and buy one more of the three-ofs that only come singly in the structures. A lot of them can also be found in Premium Gold (Necro Gardna, Eclipse Wyvern <- 3-of is in there too) as holos with gold borders. As for singles, the extra deck is rather expensive (MPB Dracossack, Number 11 Big Eye, Divine Dragon Knight Felgrand, Silent Honor ARK, Exciton Knight) or hard to find (AOJ Decisive Armor, Goyo Guardian, Black Rose Dragon), but the bare minimum can work as well. There's also a hard-to-get two/three-of called Kuribandit that mills five when tributed after being NS for you to set-up, found in Dragons of Legend alongside Soul Charge (three-of Monster Reborn, SS as many from grave as you want at 1000 LP per monster).

The deck will soon be outclassed by the archetypes in Duelist Alliance, but it is still more than playable and can be quite fun indeed. Here is a pretty decent main deck for you to work off of. Also, you can hover over the card name in the list and it will give the effect, set, and average prices.

Thanks, I'll look into that. Luckily I have Black Rose :)

Serperior said:
Sehabi or whatever his name was playing Infernities went off T1 and did what Infernities do and won lol.
and it was SICK.
Like, both definitions of it. It was awesome, yet at the same time completely humiliating. Infernity or not, losing the title of WORLD CHAMPION with an OTK is JUST a bit disrespectful, IMHO.

Funny how blind MSTing the Artifact player actually won him game 1, though.

Hahaha when I see Artifacts, I almost never activate MST. Just Set it for Double Cyclone bait or Artifact Ignition bait. I side it out immediately game two xD. Yeah I hate all OTKs. Especially Infernity. Stupid.

http://www.yugioh-card.com/en/limited/

Limited:
Glow-Up Bulb
Infernity Archfiend
Raigeki
Soul Charge
Super Polymerization

Semi-Limited:
Blackwing - Gale the Whirlwind
Gorz the Emissary of Darkness
Ceasefire
The Transmigration Prophecy

Unlimited:
Coach Soldier Wolfbark
Magician of Faith
Formula Synchron
Reinforcement of the Army

Overall, I like it. Plants, FFs, Satellars, and Blackwings get boosts, and the Armageddon-Shaddoll gets a nuke.

Blackwings get a boost, but who plays Blackwings...

Satellars just get even more certain to throw all the monsters in the deck down T2.

Plants are almost the same as Blackwings. Few play them, and I doubt Glow-Up Bulb, with all its usefulness, will save them.

Wolfbark at 3 is the most surprising thing on this list for me, Raigeki apart. FFs can really benefit from this.

Overall, not many changes. I still think El Shaddoll Winda should have been somewhere on this list though.

Raigeki's back, neat. I'm a little slow here, when did Monster Reborn get put into Forbidden? Last time I played it was limited.

So, The New Challengers released officially in the states today (yesterday). It looks like quite the loaded set, what with Synchro options for the already strong Burning Abyss, speed for the Yang Zing, a mass-CED for Satellars, vital fusion support for Shaddoll, and a new tier 1 giant in the Qliphort, who push OTKs to a new limit in this otherwise slow metagame.

How do you guys feel the viability of existing cards will change with this set? For one, MST is likely to be a max-out staple due to the need to destroy Qliphort Scout (Tool) and Skill Drain to keep the Qlips in check in addition to the ubiquitous Vanity's Emptiness. Shaddoll Dragon is similarly becoming more powerful, and Fairy Wind will be a powerhouse.

Also, does anyone else still play? :p Admittedly the game is much different than it was two sets ago.

I only play for fun from time to time... haven't played online for more than a month now.

Having tried the Qliphorts when they were still OCG, all I can say is that the deck is monstrous. MST is needed for the time being, at least until Qliphort Tool eats a limitation in the face. Skill Drain won't help; I myself ran Skill Drain main deck with Qliphorts, and the card helps them way more than it might hinder them. Secret Village of the Spellcasters (yeah, I know) is actually the only card which ever gave me trouble when playing. Between Odd-Eyes, Summoner's Art, three Tool and if you play him, Kuraz, it's really hard to run out of search engines. The Qliphort deck dominates the field easily.

Also, Dark Rebellion XYZ Dragon. Just for the name and design, I always wanted that card.

Chaos Jackal said:
I only play for fun from time to time... haven't played online for more than a month now.

Having tried the Qliphorts when they were still OCG, all I can say is that the deck is monstrous. MST is needed for the time being, at least until Qliphort Tool eats a limitation in the face. Skill Drain won't help; I myself ran Skill Drain main deck with Qliphorts, and the card helps them way more than it might hinder them. Secret Village of the Spellcasters (yeah, I know) is actually the only card which ever gave me trouble when playing. Between Odd-Eyes, Summoner's Art, three Tool and if you play him, Kuraz, it's really hard to run out of search engines. The Qliphort deck dominates the field easily.

Also, Dark Rebellion XYZ Dragon. Just for the name and design, I always wanted that card.

Skill Drain is a staple in the Qliphort trap lineup. The Normal Summoned ones retain their attack stats, Killer is unaffected if they play it, and almost all opposing play is shut down by it. The only downside is the vulnerability of the Qliphort player's life points if this payment is compounded by Tool searching.

Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon has a good design and certainly is a neat option, but the only Rank 4 deck that is of a good tier and has space for him has better options - Satellarknights. Altair's restriction disables whatever appeal Rebellion had for them in trying to get over Killer, much the same way Excalibur did (Excalibur still gains a spot from time to time). Also, it has been known that Killer is rather win-more and thus doesn't really warrant the dedication of a slot to it alone. You'd rather employ options that take out the rest of the Qliphort deck and give Rebellion's slot to cards for other matchups. Rebellion's status as a beater prone to non-battle destruction, though with cool art and a decent effect, limits its uses and therefore its utility in comparison to other extra deck contenders.

Collect all the Rebellions you want though :p

Lol, I never said I would run Dark Rebellion. If you don't want him, so be it; give him to me:p.

Yeah, Killer is not really required. I sometimes run one for fun in order to see opponents curse at me and Konami, but otherwise Qliphorts are so kickass they do not need him as well. Chances are you will have already won by the time you have nothing better to do than to add him in your hand with Tool.

I stopped playing when TeleDAD Crush was the only top-tier deck. Did the game became more interesting / less centralized / less expensive since then ? Might go back to it if it's the case.

froggy025 said:
I stopped playing when TeleDAD Crush was the only top-tier deck. Did the game became more interesting / less centralized / less expensive since then ? Might go back to it if it's the case.

The game is definitely more interesting. There are three top decks currently, those being a fusion deck that can fuse monsters of various attributes using deck materials to +2 and that hates Special Summons, a TCG-exclusive archetype that has the greatest consistency and field presence YuGiOh has ever seen, and a mass special summoning deck that is linear but pumps out mini-Obelisks in swarms. There are three new extra deck types - Synchro (white, basically adding up levels to the card with monsters on your field and one needs to say it's a Tuner), Xyz (put two monsters of the same level on top of each other and then this comes out), and Pendulum (half-monster/half-spell cards that can be summoned or allow you to special summon a ton of monsters at once, go to extra to be reused for the first purpose when destroyed). The game has much more versatility and options, though there is a fine line between tier 1 and the rest right now. The game is all about card advantage. As far as prices go, nothing costs as much as Tele-DAD (one deck last year was easily more than it though), but a good $200-300 ($400 possibly) would be required for the more expensive decks. Lower tier decks that aren't trash should be around $100-200, with higher prices the better the deck is.

This is going to sound horrendously terrible, but how does one pendulum summon? Moreso, how would you summon a pendulum monster?

Haunted Water said:
This is going to sound horrendously terrible, but how does one pendulum summon? Moreso, how would you summon a pendulum monster?

In case you don't know, pendulum monsters are the ones with hybrid colors of both monsters and spells. You need to put two pendulum monsters down at once in order to summon any - these are placed as spells, one on each side of your half of the field. The monsters have a number from 1 to 9 on them, so you need two with different numbers, the red one being on the right (the one on the left is blue) (each pendulum monster has a red and blue scale that each apply only when it is put on the side the arrow indicates). With this done, you can now choose any number of monsters from your hand to special summon as long as their levels are between the numbers on the cards you put down (Pendulum scales of 4 and 8 will allow you to summon anything from level 5 to 7, for example) and up to as many as you are able to fit on your field. You can also add any pendulum monsters that have gone to your extra deck to this special summon as long as their levels fit the scale limits - pendulums, when they would be sent to the graveyard, are put in the extra deck face-up instead. All pendulum monsters start out in the main deck but go to the extra when sent to the graveyard from the field and can be reused as many times as one likes (regular monsters that were pendulum summoned simply go to the graveyard). Pendulum summons are also only once per turn, during your main phase.

These summons can be negated by special summon stops like Solemn Warning, Black Horn of Heaven and Thunder King Rai-Oh, but the ones that specify one monster won't work on mass pendulum summons. Cards like Bottomless Trap Hole and Time-Space Trap Hole can take out mass summons well.

So, The New Challengers has been in stores for a little over a week. I've been going to Targets and Wal-Marts in search of packs, and my dad and I had heard of rare packs where multiple foils were stuffed inside a single one, either on purpose or on accident.

Suffice to say, we found two of them, with seven secret rares. http://postimg.org/image/6zdkmgncj/ (I would post just the image but doing that turns it sideways)

Because of this, I could viably start collecting the pieces for Qliphorts or Burning Abyss. I'm not sure which to pick though - both have their perks and are equally viable imo. What do you guys think is a better pick?

Qliphorts for me, hands down. Burning Abyss is a powerful deck, but right now I believe Qliphorts is the best deck due to amazing search engine, high average attack, versatility and draws (there's literally no bad Qliphort hand, unless you are ridiculously unlucky). On the other hand, keep in mind that Qliphorts are probably in for a harsh nerf come next list (Tool definitely gets a limitation, if not ban, and I don't know about Saqliphort). In general, though, and for the current banlist, Qliphorts are the best choice in my opinion.

Back