Help The "What Should I Buy?" Thread

Thanks that pretty much answers it perfectly. We are just a bunch of mid twenties guys who are changing poker night to pokemon night instead. We just wanted to keep it even between each other and not have someone using old cards and constantly losing.

Ok, so I'm making this question for a friend:

He's looking to buy a Booster Box. He's debating if he should buy either a Boundaries Crossed one or a Furious Fists one, looking for some playable cards.

-What do you guys think would be best?
-Is another set worth getting over those other 2?

Furious Fists has lots of valuable cards at the moment, but we don't really know yet if any of those cards will retain their value, since the set is so new.

Boundaries Crossed is a lot more stable, and has some super valuable cards in it as well (Read: Landorus-EX), but there's certainly not as many overall. Additionally, BCR will rotate out long before FUF does, so it might drop in value sooner as well.

Just in terms of playable cards, though, unless your friend really wants to pull his Computer search and Landorus-EX's out of packs, Furious Fists is probably a better set. If he's literally just beginning, and doesn't know what deck to play, I might propose Plasma Blast or XY just for the staples, but that's up to him.

Auride said:
Furious Fists has lots of valuable cards at the moment, but we don't really know yet if any of those cards will retain their value, since the set is so new.

Boundaries Crossed is a lot more stable, and has some super valuable cards in it as well (Read: Landorus-EX), but there's certainly not as many overall. Additionally, BCR will rotate out long before FUF does, so it might drop in value sooner as well.

Just in terms of playable cards, though, unless your friend really wants to pull his Computer search and Landorus-EX's out of packs, Furious Fists is probably a better set. If he's literally just beginning, and doesn't know what deck to play, I might propose Plasma Blast or XY just for the staples, but that's up to him.

Thanks, Auride, helpful as always. ;)

I've got a budget of ~$85, I'm going to my local card shop on tuesday and I'd like to get some stuff to start me off with. Should I look at one or two of the elite trainer boxes? They seem like a solid deal to me but again I am just starting out and I don't know if I should just buy singles or get packs or decks and whatnot. Thank you for any replies!

kobeland said:
I've got a budget of ~$85, I'm going to my local card shop on tuesday and I'd like to get some stuff to start me off with. Should I look at one or two of the elite trainer boxes? They seem like a solid deal to me but again I am just starting out and I don't know if I should just buy singles or get packs or decks and whatnot. Thank you for any replies!

It would help, if we knew your interests. Playing, collecting or both?

I will point out for about $10 more, you can get a sealed box on-line.

Hey guys! :D I recently got back into the Pokemon TCG after my cousins started picking it up. So, for my 18th birthday, I wanted to get a booster box and share some of the cards with them. The thing is, I also want to try and get a Keldeo EX card too. :p So my question is, I have $85 to spend. Should I go for Boundaries Crossed (I know it'll rotate out but FULL ART KELDEO) or Legendary Treasures? (Regular Keldeo but lots of shinies for the kids. :p)

Legendary Treasures has 10 Regular EXs
Boundaries Crossed has 6 Regular EXs.

I think both boxes have a 4 Ultrarare per box. Also if you get that Landy EX in Boundaries Crossed you could trade it off for a couple Keldeo EX. Also Keldeo EX was a tin promo.

omahanime said:
kobeland said:

It would help, if we knew your interests. Playing, collecting or both?

I will point out for about $10 more, you can get a sealed box on-line.

I'm looking to start playing the game, would it be worthwhile to buy a box to build a deck?

If you are planning on playing then you will get more bang for your buck if you just buy singles online or at your card shop. Most of the stapple cards that are in every deck are like 4 for 3 dollars or around that price. Some EX cards were reprinted as promo cards that end up being cheaper.

Mr.Muffin said:
Legendary Treasures has 10 Regular EXs
Boundaries Crossed has 6 Regular EXs.

I think both boxes have a 4 Ultrarare per box. Also if you get that Landy EX in Boundaries Crossed you could trade it off for a couple Keldeo EX. Also Keldeo EX was a tin promo.

Okie dokie if you reccommend Boundaries Crossed I'll get a box then. :p Thanks for the opinion! ^-^

Hi

Thought I'd post here and keep the forum tidy instead of making new thread LOL

Anyways back in the days I use to have the pokemon cards eg sycther, mewtwo etc but lost them all due to house move. Since that time just gave up on pokemon. However after all these years I am playing catch up and getting back to my pokemon routes, I might be getting older :p

I have around £150 to spend and I've seen few good retailers here in UK that sell pokrmon cards. I'm i correct into buying booster boxes instead of packs?

A friend of mind told me to start collecting legendary treasures as you are most likely to get great pulls and vast more rare etc. I started by getting a few packs of xy furious fists n flash fire got some good pulls.

At moment I put all pokemon cards straight into ultra pro matte sleeves then straight into xy trainer box. Is this a good way to store the cards? I don't like binders, portfolios :p I was thinking of using tins instead of trainer boxes. How many cards can I hold and who here uses tins for collection?

Finally do you recommended buying theme decks, tins or promo packs? Kinda like the ancient box :p

Trying to start a collection. Xy series?

Tins? You can probably get at least 500 cards if stacked correctly. I would use a 3 ring binder with card holder and put your cards back to back and and use card sleeves for the rares. You can get 18 cards to a page this way. I would do this to protect your cards. Tins will work but if a lid ever came off so would all your cards because that would really be not good if they ever hit the floor or a wet spot.:)

If you are starting a collection. You might want to start with Japanese cards. It sounds like that is where all the big collectors are.

[split] The "Merchandise Help" Thread

Hi! I'm new to this forum and just got back to TCG. I'm looking for advice on which booster box I should get. I'm not getting into competitive battling, just having fun collecting them with my gf. Of the three booster boxes which two do you guys recommend on getting or any other booster boxes not mentioned. Furious fist, XY or legendary treasures?

Thanks

RE: The "Merchandise Help" Thread

vinni3winni3 said:
Hi! I'm new to this forum and just got back to TCG. I'm looking for advice on which booster box I should get. I'm not getting into competitive battling, just having fun collecting them with my gf. Of the three booster boxes which two do you guys recommend on getting or any other booster boxes not mentioned. Furious fist, XY or legendary treasures?

Thanks
If you want those Charizards get Flashfire. If you want some more valuable cards that you can trade for you should go for Furious Fists. If you want a lot of Shiny cards get Legendary Treasures because it has 10 EX pokemon and Radiant Collection is an extra bonus.

If you're just playing for fun, I would probably recommend Legendary Treasures. Compared to Furious Fists and XY, Legendary Treasures has a lot more variety in terms of possible strategy, as it's mostly a reprint set. It's also a set with very high Ultra Rare pull rates, so although the cards won't be valuable, they will be nice to look at.

Have fun!

vinni3winni3 said:
how do you tell if a booster box is a reprint set?

There is no direct way from the box itself, but you can look up the set itself online to find some extra information about it. Reprint sets almost always come at the end of a series, just before a new one begins, and (obviously) consist mostly of cards included in previous sets with different artwork.

Back