Help The "What Should I Buy?" Thread

MegaCharizard said:
I'm trying to talk myself into buying a Supreme Victors booster box...I can't find any on eBay and the only site that seems to have one is Collectors Cache, but its $170 and I've never used them before...

EDIT: I just found the same box from Blowout Cards for $155 - anyone have opinions on which site to buy from? I was going to get them off the Blowout Cards' eBay, but the listing ended. Whichever one I buy, I'll buy some other thing (loose packs, etc)

EDIT 2: Annnd I just saw the Blowout cards doesn't ship internationally...looks like either pay a bit more from Collectors Cache or wait and see if Blowout Cards relists them on eBay

Does it specifically have to be a booster box? I saw Hill's Wholesale gaming selling a lot of 36 Supreme Victors packs for $78.

Buyer beware for any loose pack lots because they're probably weighed.

Athena said:

I saw one on eBay like that...thats why I stayed away from it. At least with a sealed box I know what the rates are like. Even if the packs weren't weighed, I could buy 36 loose packs and not get a single ultra rare or heaps more, it could just be the luck of the draw.

I would probably buy single packs from this lot, just cause I like the cards - last time I opened 9 packs, got no lv x cards, but did get a secret rare and 2 nice holos, so that was pretty good.

Athena said:

I am aware about that possibility, which is why I pointed him to a reputable "wholesaler" (not a true wholesaler as you don't need a resale permit to buy from them). Even so, you can go buy 36 packs at places like Target and still get bad pulls. Doesn't mean Target weighs their packs.

MegaCharizard said:
Athena said:

I saw one on eBay like that...thats why I stayed away from it. At least with a sealed box I know what the rates are like. Even if the packs weren't weighed, I could buy 36 loose packs and not get a single ultra rare or heaps more, it could just be the luck of the draw.

I would probably buy single packs from this lot, just cause I like the cards - last time I opened 9 packs, got no lv x cards, but did get a secret rare and 2 nice holos, so that was pretty good.

Personally, I'd go with the 36 pack lot. It's about half the price of Blowout cards for the booster box, and there‘s a possibility you get a better ratio than you would from a box. If you want a guaranteed ratio, then just get the box :)

Want to start to play Pokemon TCG Online!

I thought about beginning playing Pokémon TCG Online, but I am not sure as to which boosters to buy? I know that I can buy them off Collector's Cache, but could someone recommend which to buy?

Thank you!

RE: Want to start to play Pokemon TCG Online!

If you want to play competitively, I would recommend buying any of the BCR-On packs. Is there a certain amount of codes you want to buy?

I want to use 10-15$ (the online codes are ~0.30$ each), so maybe 30-40 packs? Yeah, I want to play competitively, but since there are limited to no place where I am from, I'd prefer playing online until I move to a more populated area (when I am going to study). :)

Patriots Fan said:
Personally, I'd go with the 36 pack lot. It's about half the price of Blowout cards for the booster box, and there‘s a possibility you get a better ratio than you would from a box. If you want a guaranteed ratio, then just get the box :)

I did end up going with the 36 loose packs. I was probably going to buy loose packs of it anyway, so this way I ended up with about double what I would've got for that price...and that website actually had some pretty good (older) stuff so I ended up getting some older promo boxes and tins, and the postage was relatively good.

The packs should be here in the next day or two, so I'm looking forward to opening those. I'm definitely curious to see what the ratio is compared to a box. I'm not expecting much, but hoping for a few good pulls.

Well the packs came today, and I got decent pulls - out of the 36 loose packs I got 2 Lv X, 5 holos and 1 secret rare. Not great compared with the box ratios, but alright for half the price of a box...would've liked more holos or one more ultra rare though

Brand new to Pokemon TCG and need guidance!!

Hi all - I have a 4 1/2 year old who is heads over heels for Pokemon - which I think is awesome since I grew up with Red/Blue. I'm thinking on tipping my toes into the Pokemon TCG at this point solely for collecting. I never collected the cards back in the day so the whole world of Holos - reverse Holos - rares - all that is foreign to me. I would like to try to start teaching her the basics of the game mechanics - but at this age it might be a little over her head.

My question is what is the best route to start collecting knowing that we might start playing at a later date?

I've been looking at the Elite Trainer box since we have nothing and this sounds like a good deal to start of on. Is that correct? Do I try to pick up the X&Y trainer box (having a hard time finding it still) - or do I pick up the Furious Fist trainer box?

I didn't think the themed decks would be good at this point since we will be just trying to collect the cards now - not worried about playing. What about booster boxes?

Thanks for any guidance!!!!

bdmst16 said:

Hi all - I have a 4 1/2 year old who is heads over heels for Pokemon - which I think is awesome since I grew up with Red/Blue. I'm thinking on tipping my toes into the Pokemon TCG at this point solely for collecting. I never collected the cards back in the day so the whole world of Holos - reverse Holos - rares - all that is foreign to me. I would like to try to start teaching her the basics of the game mechanics - but at this age it might be a little over her head.

My question is what is the best route to start collecting knowing that we might start playing at a later date?

I've been looking at the Elite Trainer box since we have nothing and this sounds like a good deal to start of on. Is that correct? Do I try to pick up the X&Y trainer box (having a hard time finding it still) - or do I pick up the Furious Fist trainer box?

I didn't think the themed decks would be good at this point since we will be just trying to collect the cards now - not worried about playing. What about booster boxes?

Okay to start collecting, I would advise booster boxes. They generally are the best way to go. Get a box of the latest set I believe Furious Fists is the latest, correct me if I am wrong been out of the game for a few years.

If you want to teach her the game mechanics, I would advise using TCG Online. You can build decks and play against other people around the world. Plus if you get a box you'll get a code for a booster pack online in each pack so that's 36 packs for online play.

I would however say get a deck each from the new set, and play slowly this will help you both learn, but using the TCGO is also good.

Elite trainers boxes are pretty cool, I must admit as they come with dice and other things but it's up to you.

I hope I have been of some help, let me know how it goes for you.

TheTPCProductionz said:
bdmst16 said:

Okay to start collecting, I would advise booster boxes. They generally are the best way to go. Get a box of the latest set I believe Furious Fists is the latest, correct me if I am wrong been out of the game for a few years.

For collecting, booster boxes are the best. If you are going to play, you will want English. If you are only collecting, you may want Japanese.

Getting into PTCG, which booster box to buy?

Hi all,

I recently discovered this website and it's been a great help to me and my kids so far. Up to now, we've been having fun with PTCG using Flashfire Theme decks (Mystic Typhoon and Brilliant Thunder) and a handful of Flashfire boosters.
We're looking to get into the game some more and develop our deck building skills and expend our games. Probably straight forward decks for the time being - simpler strategies.

With that in mind how should we go about developing our enjoyment of the game? A few more theme decks? Or a few tins or booster boxes to grow our collection?
I'd prefer any investment was made into something reasonably recent so it'll last longer, so I'm thinking XY and onwards for now - unless the advice is otherwise.

Finally, from those products you recommend, can you suggest some simple strategy decks to build? Are there some that spring to mind that I can research?

Many thanks for the replies.

RE: Getting into PTCG, which booster box to buy?

With Booster Boxes you aren't guarnateed to get what you want, but you could get a lot of staples that are rather pricey when they add up. Flashfire has a lot of good trainers, and some of the EX will get you a good penny if you want to sell them. I am going to go on a very couragous leap here and say XY-on or Legendary Tresure-on will be the next format, so you will get to play these cards for two years. XY also has a lot of cards that are in 90% of decks like all the energies, Muscle band, DCE, and Sycamore. Also Xerneas EX and Aromatisse are both in there, and they are pretty good together along with a couple of other fairy types. Trevenant is also in there which is in a couple weird rouge decks.

Trevenant/Donphan is a deck that has seen some play. Trevenant locks them out of trainers. You use a float stone to retreat him so Donphan can attack and his attack allows him to retreat to the beach where you put Trevenant up.

Fairy Decks get more and more support each set.

Greninja is in here which is used in one of the most fun decks this up coming season which is Miltank/Greninja.

RE: Getting into PTCG, which booster box to buy?

There's a lot of ways to get into the game, but if you're looking to get somewhere competitively, a booster box is not the way to go.

I'm not going to recommend any particular decks, both because it's hard to know what you will like, and also because the upcoming rotation (in August, which will be Boundaries Crossed-On). What I will recommend is looking in the Deck Garage forum. From there, you'll want to just look at the various archetypes and strategies and see what sounds interesting to you.

Once you've selected some decklist or overall strategy that sounds fun or interesting, you can test it on an online simulator such as PTCGO (the official simulator which requires you to acquire the cards yourself, either by trading purchased codes and cards, or by opening packs yourself), PlayTCG (a free simulator with a manual interface that lets you use whatever cards you like; my personal favorite), or TCGOne (another free simulator with automatic play, but is slightly incomplete in terms of cards available). You can use these to play against random online opponents, or to play between each other.

If you're just going to be playing with your children, which is fine (fun should always come first in games), you don't need to stress out about finding something competitive or really strong. Just something with a cool strategy to it that will be more entertaining to play than a theme deck.

After doing some initial playtesting to gauge a deck, you can either choose another or start to build the deck in real life (or you could print out the deck and put the cut paper into sleeves with random cards; this is called a proxy deck and is perfectly legal for casual play at leagues so long as you inform your opponent). Beware that many competitive decks can cost upwards of $150 USD to build from scratch. That doesn't mean you need to spend so much. Unless you're going to enter a tournament, don't be afraid to substitute expensive cards for cheaper alternatives, or different cards altogether (experiment!).

Good luck!

Thanks to all for the advice.
If I was to get a booster box, out of Flashfire or Furious Fists - which should I get? Which has the better pulls? From reading the forum, it seems that Flashfire is slightly more consistent, is that still the case? Or have the rares and EXs dried up now that Furious is launched?

Edit: Just to add, I'm considering boosters as it's a fun way for us to build our collection and trade between ourselves as we grow our game. Besides, it's always a good incentive to offer a booster as a treat or reward for doing the chores :)

NobleSX said:
Thanks to all for the advice.
If I was to get a booster box, out of Flashfire or Furious Fists - which should I get? Which has the better pulls? From reading the forum, it seems that Flashfire is slightly more consistent, is that still the case? Or have the rares and EXs dried up now that Furious is launched?
Again, booster boxes aren't great for getting specific cards, but if you're going to buy one anyways, I would say that Flashfire would be the better box. This is mostly because the general selection of cards besides EXs is a good bit better, including some staple trainers.

That said, Furious Fists has generally better EX's, and might be better for play on it's own. The main downsides are the volatile pull rate (there's a good possibility of getting a dud box with just 3 ultra rares, even though you could luck out and get 6), and the fact that any decks you build out of it are going to have to be fighting type to really compete with each other, which reduces actual variety. For that reason, I see Flashfire as better.

I think all EX Booster Boxes have the same ratio of normally 6 EX per box. Furius Fists has a lot of really playable EX cards that have a pretty high asking price. Also if you can get a Full Art Trainer they go pretty high.

A few of my friends have decided to get back into collecting and playing the tcg. None of us have had any cards since the original sets and we at least know that those are outdated. All of us are into buying booster packs, and possibly starter decks to get us playing right away. We aren't really into getting the best cards right away and are more into the thrill of opening a pack and trading cards with each other to build decks. Is it best to buy only the sets of cards included in the XY boosters and decks or are the older booster sets from BW series just as competitive? If they are still competitive how far back in the series are you still able to buy cards and still keep all the cards on a good even playing field.

Generally, the "strength" of cards in general has been roughly consistent over the Black and White series, through the XY series so far, with a slight increase over time. The most notable jump was Next Destinies, which was the first set to include Pokemon-EX. So you could probably collect any set from Next Destinies-On and still be able to create strong, relatively even decks.

That said, if you're looking to get into official tournament play (though I would guess that you aren't), the sets that will be legal for the next year (starting in September) will be all sets from Boundaries Crossed-On.

Back