Help The "What Should I Buy?" Thread

Your Master

Aspiring Trainer
How to grow the contents of your binder?

I am starting back up in the TCG, and it took me a long time to get a good binder before I quit. I am wondering what the most cost efficient way to grow my binder is.

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor
RE: How to grow the contents of your binder?

Your Master said:
I am starting back up in the TCG, and it took me a long time to get a good binder before I quit. I am wondering what the most cost efficient way to grow my binder is.

Buy a lot of boosters or promo boxes/tins. You can also buy a Booster Box.

Ice

Returnee

Luispipe8 said:
Your Master said:

Buy a lot of boosters or promo boxes/tins. You can also buy a Booster Box.

No no no no no.

Booster packs are NOT the way to go. You will get garbage. Singles are the way to go 100%. Even if you bought a Booster Box, statistically it's possible you pull nothing. I highly suggest trustworthy Ebay sellers.

Your Master

Aspiring Trainer

Well, I basically have 200 bucks, but after Br's, I feel like there aren't going to be any real money cards other than FA supporters. What kind of stuff should I buy?

Ice

Returnee

Your Master said:
Well, I basically have 200 bucks, but after Br's, I feel like there aren't going to be any real money cards other than FA supporters. What kind of stuff should I buy?

Buy cards for TDK if you want to be competitive. If you have nothing from this format it would cost about $100-$150 with staples and everything.(Rough estimate)

Your Master

Aspiring Trainer

Ice said:
Your Master said:

Buy cards for TDK if you want to be competitive. If you have nothing from this format it would cost about $100-$150 with staples and everything.(Rough estimate)

I have a TDK deck already, all I want to do is build up my binder.

dragonxx21

Aspiring Trainer

Your Master said:
Ice said:

If you're simply trying to grow the contents of your binder, I'd suggest looking at what sets you are closest to completing, and complete them, either by buying the singles you need, or trying your luck and buying booster boxes. Even though booster boxes are not the most cost effective at all, everyone (or at least everyone I know), enjoys the feeling of cracking open a pack to see what you have. Usually by buying boxes you can complete the uncommon/common part of the sets relatively easy (from what I've seen, I haven't actually completed any sets, and do not a big collection by any means), and you can simply trade away anything you don't need. If you choose to get the singles, you could simply just buy the complete set, but personally, buying a set doesn't match the amount of joy you feel by completing a set by your own pulls (which I have done with MTG). Whichever way you choose, both will grow your binder. Have fun! :D

Ice

Returnee

Your Master said:
Ice said:

Oh I missed that. Just go on ebay and look for some nice Full Arts and EX's for your binder. Buy a few packs but not too many. Also people are interested in Secret Rare cards usually so buy some of those.

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz

Ice said:
Your Master said:

Oh I missed that. Just go on ebay and look for some nice Full Arts and EX's for your binder. Buy a few packs but not too many. Also people are interested in Secret Rare cards usually so buy some of those.

If you were to buy packs I would go for bcr. The set has the most ultra rare cards and the exs, srs, and ace specs are worth buying a few packs/a box.

Your Master

Aspiring Trainer

Elbow said:
Ice said:

If you were to buy packs I would go for bcr. The set has the most ultra rare cards and the exs, srs, and ace specs are worth buying a few packs/a box.

Well, I just mostly want a bunch of Ex/FA cards for my binder, but I'd probably throw in some playable uncommons. So what it sounds like, is that I should just buy a bunch of them.

PokePhD

PokéBeach Verified Seller

Your Master said:
What about buying a single beach and some EX's?

I would just buy a box or two of the latest set (Plasma Blast), as those are the most sought after cards.

The pull rates are more random now but that can work in your favor if you're lucky.

Your Master

Aspiring Trainer

SoulWind said:
Your Master said:
What about buying a single beach and some EX's?

I would just buy a box or two of the latest set (Plasma Blast), as those are the most sought after cards.

The pull rates are more random now but that can work in your favor if you're lucky.

So, I could get 2 boxes, but what about maybe a tin case(12 tins) when they come out and then still have like 50 bucks? I am slightly scared of the ratios.

I can possibly buy a tin case and a box

PokePhD

PokéBeach Verified Seller

Your Master said:
So, I could get 2 boxes, but what about maybe a tin case(12 tins) when they come out and then still have like 50 bucks? I am slightly scared of the ratios.

Tins give you more for your money but I think the packs are from various sets.

Hopefully someone else can verify that.

Your Master

Aspiring Trainer

SoulWind said:
Your Master said:

Tins give you more for your money but I think the packs are from various sets.

Hopefully someone else can verify that.

Usually, it is 2 of the most recent set, and then 2 others. One of the two others is usually a recent set, and the other is like 3-5 sets back iirc.

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member

Your Master said:
Usually, it is 2 of the most recent set, and then 2 others. One of the two others is usually a recent set, and the other is like 3-5 sets back iirc.

Not necessarily

omahanime said:
2 tins had PS, BC, 2x Dragons Exalted the other had PS, BC, ND, EP

I would not buy a case of tins.

Fatality

Aspiring Trainer
Should I pay around $200 for 4X Virizion EX and 4X Genesect EX to complete my deck or should I buy 2 Plasma Blast booster boxes and hope for the best? I'm not a collector, strictly a player so I'm leaning towards just buying the singles. Those singles are pretty expensive though as each card goes for $30 a piece.

Your Master

Aspiring Trainer

Ok, what would you buy if you had around 200-250 and wanted to start a binder @omahanime?