BW/BW2 The Simple 5th Gen VG Questions and Answers Thread

RE: The Simple Questions and Answers Thread

AdrianD said:
Is there a thread on here for RNGing pokemon?

RNG guides actually come and go since things are constantly being changed/upgraded (and it's impeccably hard to keep something perfectly up-to-date, even if you happen to be the one programming the RNG abuse aid software). You best bet is to learn the basics of RNG on a finished generation (ie: gen 4) and then search for a guide on the specific area of RNG you want to do as you need it. Nothing says you need to memorize how to do everything all at once, nor is it practical.

What time in Winter does the Royal Unova sail in B/W? On Serebii it says from 4 PM-6:59 PM. When I go there at 4 PM it is not active yet. I go there at 5 PM and that is when it starts. Does it go from 5PM-8PM or 5PM-7PM or 5PM-6PM? Thanks XD.:)

Probably 5-6.59pm.

Could you find a link for the accurate tme? Thanks XD.:)

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Royal_Unova

The Royal Unova only sails in the evening. In winter, that is between 5pm and 6.59pm.

Thanks XD.:)

Where can you find the Wide Lens in B/W? It's supposed to be in Castelia City, but I can't find it anywhere.
On that note, how much does the Wide Lens augment accuracy? It says on Serebii that it boosts accuracy by 10%. But is that 10% as in ten percent of the original accuracy, or as in ten percent of the maximum 100% accuracy?
Example: A Pokemon with Wide Lens equipped uses Hypnosis. Would the Wide Lens boost Hypnosis' accuracy to 66% or 70%?

Thank you in advance.

Dialkia198 said:
Where can you find the Wide Lens in B/W? It's supposed to be in Castelia City, but I can't find it anywhere.
On that note, how much does the Wide Lens augment accuracy? It says on Serebii that it boosts accuracy by 10%. But is that 10% as in ten percent of the original accuracy, or as in ten percent of the maximum 100% accuracy?
Example: A Pokemon with Wide Lens equipped uses Hypnosis. Would the Wide Lens boost Hypnosis' accuracy to 66% or 70%?

Thank you in advance.

There's a guy on the upper level of the Pokemon Center that gives it to you if you have five different unique IDs in your game (as in, Pokemon from five other people). He gives you other items if you get even more.
Also, it works the first way: Hypnosis would become 66%, not 70%.

Is this a Decent Moveset for Giratina?

Hi Pokebeach! I was looking in my PC a few days ago, and decided to train my old Giratina from Platinum that i used to use in the game until it was transferred to White, then White 2. So, first thing I did was create a moveset. I'd like someones opinion on it.
(NOTE: I don't play competitively, just battling my friends, so I'm not really worried about EV's, IV's, Nature, all that.) Here it is:

Giratina (Origin Forme) Lv. 70
Careful Nature/A little Quick tempered
Ability: Levitate Item: Griseous Orb

STATS:
HP:313/313
Attack: 209
Defense: 155
Sp. Atk: 176
Sp. Def: 181
Speed: 154

MOVES:
Hone Claws: Raises his already somewhat- high attack as well as accuracy.
Dragon Claw: Gets STAB and extra power from his attack stat as well as the Griseous Orb, covers weakness to Dragon
Aura Sphere: Never misses, covers Ice and Dark weaknesses
Shadow Force: I couldn't leave out his signature move, it also has 120 power and covers weakness to Ghost

Tell me what you think, what I should change, etc.

RE: Is this a decent moveset for Giratina?

The one difference I can think of would be to use Shadow Claw in place of Shadow Force; I know there's a huge difference in power, but Shadow Force has the downfall of taking 2 turns, during which time your opponent can easily send in a Normal type to be immune to the hit.
edit: Shadow Claw also has the added benefit of having an increased-crit ratio, so after a couple Hone Claws and with a bit of luck you could be doing sufficient damage with it.

RE: Is this a decent moveset for Giratina?

I'd go with Outrage over Dragon Claw, just to give it that extra boost of power it needs, because Dragon Claw really isn't that strong without a fair amount of boosts.
Aura Sphere is also a little iffy, since it's coming off its lower Sp Attack stat, isn't boosted by Hone Claws, and doesn't have STAB. You won't be doing too much damage with it unless your opponents like to use frail type-weak Pokemon. o_O I guess since it's not competitive you never know. Either way, I'd ditch it in favor of another physical move, such as Earthquake (which would allow you to actually damage Steel types), and leave dealing with Ice and Dark to some other Pokemon.
And as P.DelSlayer said, Shadow Claw is better than Shadow Force. It might seem contrary considering what I said about Dragon Claw and Outrage, but that turn of preparing the move leaves you wide open to a whole mess of things.

I have 2 questions:

What are the IVs necessary for Hidden Power Fire?
and
How do you do Rating Battles on Black 2? I can do Free battles fine, but whenever I do rating it says connection error.

What are the IVs necessary for Hidden Power Fire?

Speed 30 the rest 31.

P.S. http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/hiddenpower.php If you need to do further experiments with Hidden Power.

How do you do Rating Battles on Black 2? I can do Free battles fine, but whenever I do rating it says connection error.

Does it actually give you an error code number? If it does, you can look it up on Nintendo's Website.

Ok thanks a bunch! :D

When I access Rating, it just says "communication error". No code...

So I have decided to explore the wonderful world of competetive battling with my friends. I have almost completed my first Pokemon, a Nidoqueen. I need some help with the move set.
It has sheer force. It has 252 attack EVs, 252 defense EVs, and 4 speed.
Here's the current move set:
Earth Power (Sheer force increases damage)
Superpower (Dunno about this one.)
Body Slam (May replace with Fire Blast or Sludge Wave.)
Sucker Punch (Might replace also.)
Planning on making it an attacker. It's currently holding a Zoom Lens, but once I get a Life Orb from the Battle Subway, it will hold that. I just need help with the move set.

RotomRules64 said:
So I have decided to explore the wonderful world of competetive battling with my friends. I have almost completed my first Pokemon, a Nidoqueen. I need some help with the move set.
It has sheer force. It has 252 attack EVs, 252 defense EVs, and 4 speed.
Here's the current move set:
Earth Power (Sheer force increases damage)
Superpower (Dunno about this one.)
Body Slam (May replace with Fire Blast or Sludge Wave.)
Sucker Punch (Might replace also.)
Planning on making it an attacker. It's currently holding a Zoom Lens, but once I get a Life Orb from the Battle Subway, it will hold that. I just need help with the move set.
Self inflicted stat drops do not count as secondary effects and would still occur while you take damage from the Life Orb. You're better off with Flamethrower or Fire Blast there. Body Slam's main utility is for the paralysis chance, which Sheer Force would remove, making it less desirable (also, it's a physical move and the Nidos do better with full special sets). Sucker Punch would give nice priority, but doesn't net many extra KOs. Here are a few fairly standard sets you can either use or dissect to figure out why they works and try to modify one (or more) to fit your own needs.

Offensive:
Nidoqueen (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 100 HP / 252 SAtk / 156 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam/Focus Blast/Sludge Wave
- Stealth Rock/Focus Blast

Note: Nidoqueen can reliably set up Stealth Rock, but can sometimes be setup fodder or easy to revenge KO. If the opponent can't hit super-effectively (in the case where Nidoqueen is a lead), they will usually switch and give you a chance to set up rocks. I recommend Rotom-W and a dark type to pair with this set if OU (and if UU, then Sableye and Quagsire/Swampert) to take the most common types of attacks aimed at Nidoqueen. If you want an even greater offensive presence, Nidoking fills a similar role with higher attacks and speed, but slightly lower defenses and HP.

Defensive

Nidoqueen (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast/Ice Beam
- Dragon Tail/Roar

Note: Dragon tail is here to allow you to force a switch when taunted (as an alternative to roar)

So, Fire pokemon are immune to burn right? Well, if a fire pokemon with the ability guts (flareon) uses flame orb, will the ability still work? Also, will its attack be halved by the flame orb even though it doesn't recieve the burn?

Back