BW/BW2 The Simple 5th Gen VG Questions and Answers Thread

RE: The Simple Questions and Answers Thread

Ohman177 said:
So, Fire pokemon are immune to burn right? Well, if a fire pokemon with the ability guts (flareon) uses flame orb, will the ability still work? Also, will its attack be halved by the flame orb even though it doesn't receive the burn?
no. it won't activate guts and the fire type will not get burned (unless it's type is changed, with Soak, for example). it's the same as giving a toxic orb to a poison or steel type. Burn halves the damage dealt by physical attack, rather than the actual attack stat. Burn will not lessen damage done by Foul Play for this reason. If a pokemon with Guts gets burned, the attack drop does not apply and the guts doubling takes effect (otherwise they'd cancel out).

iSharingan said:
Ohman177 said:
So, Fire pokemon are immune to burn right? Well, if a fire pokemon with the ability guts (flareon) uses flame orb, will the ability still work? Also, will its attack be halved by the flame orb even though it doesn't receive the burn?
no. it won't activate guts and the fire type will not get burned (unless it's type is changed, with Soak, for example). it's the same as giving a toxic orb to a poison or steel type. Burn halves the damage dealt by physical attack, rather than the actual attack stat. Burn will not lessen damage done by Foul Play for this reason. If a pokemon with Guts gets burned, the attack drop does not apply and the guts doubling takes effect (otherwise they'd cancel out).

So if I give my flareon with guts a flame orb there will be no change in anything?

indeed. Now if it could learn trick, you would have taught it a 1-time use, 100% accurate Will 'O Wisp equivalent that could potentially net you a beneficial item as well, but that's kinda pointless...

I'm pretty sure this won't work, but I just want to make sure.

If I Breed a Mamoswine with Stealth Rock (learned via a Gen V Move Tutor), can it be passed down to a baby Swinub? Normally Tutored moves can't be passed down, but Swinub can get Stealth Rock if bred with a Swinub/Mamoswine that learned Stealth Rock in a previous Generation. So I'm not sure how that'd interact with the Move Tutor...

Anyone know for certain?

Stealth Rock is an egg move, so it can be passed down. Many tutor moves are egg moves on some pokemon. Essentially, any move the baby form of the pokemon can learn via level up (plus some select extra moves, usually listed on sites like bulbapedia) can be passed down as egg moves. As far as mamoswine goes, an entire competitive moveset can be passed down at once (Earthquake, Ice Shard, Endeavor, Stealth Rock, and Icicle crash are most common and can all be passed down), though you'll need to replace one temporarily with Ancient Power to evolve the Piloswine later. You could even breed a female Mamoswine with a male Smeargle that knows those moves since they're both in the Field egg group (previously called Ground egg group). The catch in egg move breeding is that the father has to know all the moves you intend to breed to the baby. Chain breeding through several species is somethimes needed to get a move onto your pokemon (only happens when the species is not in the Field egg group with Smeargle). There are also some combos of egg moves that are not possible (illegal egg move combos), like Hypnosis + Nasty Plot used to be on Crobat (fixed in gen 5). Most of these disappeared with the BW2 tutors, but a rare few remain (though those that still exist have almost no competitive merit).

There's an area called the Wifi Trading Center in the Pokemon Video Games section of the site.

How does Bide work?

When Patrats, Watchogs, and other Pokémon use Bide (the move lasts for 2 turns and then does damage x2 the damage taken). What if the enemy doesn't attack? Does the attack "fail"? I just thought of this.

[private] Merged with the simple Q&A thread since it's not discussable. KA already answered it. I'll send a PM.*Drohn [/private]

Shiny Charm question

I'm just wondering when certain legendary pokemon are determined as shiny or non-shiny in the game's code, because I saved Azelf, Mesprit, and Heatran for after I got the shiny charm (since I had them in previous games)

If Uxie, Azelf, and Mesprit are determined when you send them flying away at that cave, I'm doomed from getting them in shiny form.

RE: Shiny Charm question

U/M/A are technically not roaming legendaries in B/W2 - they are stationary. Their shininess (and all the rest of their stats) is determined when you talk to them.

Only the roaming legendaries are determined when you first talk to them, and I don't think B/W2 has any roamers.

DNA said:
U/M/A are technically not roaming legendaries in B/W2 - they are stationary. Their shininess (and all the rest of their stats) is determined when you talk to them.

Only the roaming legendaries are determined when you first talk to them, and I don't think B/W2 has any roamers.

geez, so I'm just having the RNG hate me a LOT when I'm trying to get Azelf shiny, huh? XD thanks for answering my question. I saved those guys specifically for after I got the shiny charm, since I had them to trade over from other games.

The Shiny Charm triples the odds of finding a shiny.
Shiny base odds are 1 in 8192. If you triple that...it works out to .0366%.
That is still less than 1 percent. The reason it's not happening that fast is that the odds are still really low. They're just not as low.

RE: The Simple VG Questions and Answers Thread

I just noticed that I spelled my own name wrong when I started the game and now all my Pokemon have my name spelled wrong on their information pages and its really annoying.... is there anything I can do to change it??

At the present time there is no way to change your game name without starting over. You won't be able to edit the OT name for any Pokemon though.

No, not unless you start your game over - and even then if you trade some to another game, the OT will be the same.

I have a similar problem with my Diamond game, but them's the breaks, I'm afraid.

edit: go away Mark >=o

Hey guys. I'm gonna hold a 4x4 doubles wi-fi match against some guy soon. I'm having doubts about [one of my] lead pokes, my Jolly Loppuny's moveset.
Currently it goes like this:

~ Fakeout
~ Bounce
~ Charm
~ Mirrorcoat

I can't decide if I want to replace mirrocoat with Batonpass or not. Along with the Loppuny I send out an offensive Ampharos with 2 stab moves- Thunderbolt and Discharge, and here's where the Bunny's Bounce takes place. He just jumps up to avoid the hurting from Ampharos' collective move if I want it to choose it, or alternatively it just uses Thunderbolt focusing at only one pokemon, dealing more damage, and this move lets the bunny to spam Charms on the battlefield [or to keep on bouncing].

I hope you now understand how they synchronise together. So what do you think? Which move would serve me better?

Its really risky doing either Mirror Coat or Baton Pass. Mirror Coat is going to require it to survive not just one, but two possible attacks. If you are upping your stats, it is instantly going to make that Pokemon the target. I honestly think having Flame Orb for your item and replacing Charm with Switcheroo would do better. This way you can burn an opponent with the Flame Orb while obtaining their more useful item. Moves that only lower stats aren't good in doubles unless it can hit all opponents.

King Arceus said:
Its really risky doing either Mirror Coat or Baton Pass. Mirror Coat is going to require it to survive not just one, but two possible attacks. If you are upping your stats, it is instantly going to make that Pokemon the target. I honestly think having Flame Orb for your item and replacing Charm with Switcheroo would do better. This way you can burn an opponent with the Flame Orb while obtaining their more useful item. Moves that only lower stats aren't good in doubles unless it can hit all opponents.

Actually I thought of teaching it batonpass just for scouting if non of its moves would be helpful at some situation, not for passing along any stat changes as its other moves already create a different concept. I initially bred it with Swithceroo, but now it no longer has it since I just found it not-that-good, especially when it's a Fakeout vs. Switcheroo situation.
As for the Mirrorcoat issue, its base defenses are decent and above. I maxed out its HP so it's even more bulkier, especially against special attacks.

Back