The RNG Q&A Thread

I don't understand much about much, especially this "Calculate Initial PIDRNG Frame" button, but... you are taking into account the PIDRNG frame advances when walking and turning, right? Does that 55 figure take in the advances caused by that (there need to be some, or else you couldn't advance the IV RNG)? You probably already know about this, but it's the first thing I've thought of that may cause a problem.

Ok, my brief question that I'll probably poke around for later. What's this deal with encounter slots? I don't really need anyone to explain as much as a place to find out more about it.

Doesn't going into a battle advance the frame by 1? If so, you need to talk to chatot 54 times!

~P99

No. Going into the battle does not affect the PIDRNG; only the IV RNG (and not the Pokemon you are about the encounter; the IV RNG in general).

@Chariblaze: The encounter slot is literally just an added marker to the PID telling the game which Pokémon to generate, and at which level to generate it. It will fluctuate when looking for Pokémon in the wild, as it becomes necessary for "randomizing" the Pokémon you find, but for gift Pokémon and other constants, the PIDRNG will always retain an encounter slot value of 0 for every frame to keep the one Pokémon being gifted (otherwise the game I assume would crash). Just consider it an added variable along with nature, ability, gender, and shininess when looking for a target PID frame.

Gary Walsh said:
Here are two reliable encounter tables for Black and White, they vary slightly depending on which version you have:

Black
White

The process here is that you find what Pokémon you're looking for in a certain area, and if applicable, at a certain time, season, or level. Once you've found it, record its encounter value, and in RNG Reporter, you can generate encounter slots in the clipboard (the main screen), given a seed and [using Method 5 PIDRNG]. Now you can go about looking for a good spread just as you would otherwise, the only catch is that now you have to take into account the encounter slot as well; only those frames with the same encounter number as the value you found on the table will produce [the right Pokémon].

So it's an added pain in finding and/or hitting a target spread, but that's about all there is to it, at least to my own knowledge. I would think you could find information about encounter slots on Smogon's general-purpose, most-generation RNG help thread, but I haven't seen anything on encounter slots in particular, usually it's something people reference, again, with other elements of the PID as a general PID abuse-related problem.

Edit: And @Porygon-X – where exactly is this "Calculate Initial PIDRNG Frame" button? I might be able to solve the problem.

Gary Walsh said:
And @Porygon-X – where exactly is this "Calculate Initial PIDRNG Frame" button? I might be able to solve the problem.

rngreportersereengrab.png

It's the button on the left right. Thanks Chariblaze, apparently I'm dyslexic :)

Think you might mean right. -Chariblaze

Well, yet another reason why I should actually update RNG Reporter on my computer, haha :p (that warrants a facepalm…). That's a mighty useful tool, I had no idea they added it in. To answer your question though, what's your target frame for the Fraxure? Your earlier post seems to suggest you may have the target and starting frames confused. If the initial PIDRNG frame was indicated at 55, then that's the frame your game is going to start on, not the frame you need to advance to. So to that end, you'll have to find a target frame of 55 or higher, unless you already did, I'm still unsure based on your post. For some bizarre reason the PIDRNG starts at a random frame (usually under 80) based on the seed and other parameters, so it's yet another thing you have to work around in finding a target for RNG'ing. If you still can't hit your target despite starting at the frame given by RNG Reporter, a foolproof solution would just be to find your starting PIDRNG frame manually, by catching Pokémon on consecutive frames through a few trials on the DS, and then eyeballing where they appear in the seed (that's what I was doing until right now, thanks for the heads-up :)).

Gary Walsh said:
@superpokemon67: Wandering NPCs advance the frame in an erratic, often unpredictable fashion (in some cases you can predict the general frame advancements of an NPC, but generally speaking it's not stable enough to rely on). In BW this only affects the the MTIVRNG, responsible for Pokémon's IVs, though without an overworld method to check what frame you're on in a seed (like calling Elm in HGSS), NPCs will more often than not cause you to overshoot your target frame, and ultimately become somewhat frustrating, especially when there's more than two of them in one area (area counts as a single "map," like a route, floor of a building, etc.; not just the view presented around your character at any particular instant).

@hipoke: What exactly are you calibrating for? Standard/Non C-Gear abuse doesn't use delays that you would need to calibrate for.

Sorry for the late response. I was following this guide http://blazingblyde.tumblr.com/post/4545145693/blyde-rng-guide here. Told me to calibrate.

I've got quite the predicament. Ive watched all the tutorials and read the guides and keep getting nothing. Im Non C-gear seeding for a 31/xx/31/31/31/31 Litwick Egg with Flash Fire. I simplified it by just using frame 8 as starting so i only needed to adjust the PIDRNG. Im using Chatot cries to adjust and I used the Calibrated Initial PIDRNG Frame on RNGReporter (even the SSF in Tesseraction's Smogon guide), every time I try (and ive done like 30) its ALWAYS wrong. Can someone please tell me what's up?

I believe with an egg you have to have the step that generates the egg have the frame you want, rather than talking with the daycare man. The daycare man only gives you the egg, I believe the egg generates all it's ivs and stuff when you generate it. I would either try sweet scenting in celestial tower or using a instant egg generator code. (not totally good with RNGing, so don't take my word for it.)

No, the IVs and Nature are determined when you receive the egg, I know that for a fact.

Also, I haven't seen you in a while hipoke :D Where's your old banner? :<

My old banner is sitting in one of InfinityFangX's shop posts, wanting to be used. (By the way he just opened it again =O) Yeah, haven't had much time to spend on pb for a while thanks to my first year of middle school, and my asian parents and all. Anyways, huh I didn't know that. Seems to make egg rnging a bit easier. Maybe a moving npc is changing your pidrng?

Well even if it changes the PIDRNG I'd still have the same IV's so its probably something else.

EDIT: Here's what i did...
1. Used Time Finder. Found egg on Frame 8: 5/07/2011 @ 11(23):43:58 PM
2. Copied full seed to Clipboard
3. On original screen switched to "Breeding (BW)"
4. Input full seed, TID, Nature, IV's, Min and Max frame (1-200)
- I ran it like this a few times before I noticed the "Calculate Initial PIDRNG Frame" button
5. Clicked Initial PIDRNG button (switched Min frame to 46).
6. Generated. Found Bold, Ability 0 (Flash Fire) @ Frame 111
7. Pressed A to start game at 23:43:57 (1 second delay thing)
8. Held down A & Down as instructed
9. Used Chatot's cry to advance PIDRNG 64 times (frame 111 - (frame 46 + 1 for NPCs)).
- I sometimes tried not adjusting for NPCs and it also didnt work
- I did this all while minimizing the amount of time unpaused due to NPCs in the first place
10. Received egg, hatched...FAILED :headbang :(

Never even 1 Bold nature either. I think the problem is most likely calculating the PIDRNG, but that doesnt explain why the IVs suck. (Is it because the parents are not perfect?)

Hello guys. I don't know if this is just for B&W because it doesn't say it, but anyway:

So I just tried RNG'ing for a Shiny Zigzagoon, and it wasn't shiny. Here's what I did:
-caught LV.52 Gloom
-found my initial seed
-found SID after doing a LV.100 Battle with DNA to figure out my Shiny's IVs
-checked "Shiny Only" box
-chose the Method 1 before finding the seed, and then DPPT Egg PID(Normal) after that
-put in correct SID and ID
-I think I did the right Happiness Taps and Coin Flips
-bred two Zigzagoon

What am I doing wrong?

XanderPitz1010 said:
8. Held down A & Down as instructed

That's probably your problem. I'm not sure of the correct time to hold those buttons, but I know that I haven't been able to get them to register properly. You might be having the same problem.

hipoke said:
Sorry for the late response. I was following this guide http://blazingblyde.tumblr.com/post/4545145693/blyde-rng-guide here. Told me to calibrate.

Ah, no problem – the article seems to be referring to the calibration of your DS's hardware parameters, which you need for Non C-Gear abuse. So to answer your previous question, when you're trying to find your parameters in RNG Reporter, make sure all the required information is inputted correctly and accurately, as there's a few variables you could always end up missing or forgetting. Often date/time will be the determining factor in getting a resultant parameter configuration to appear, so by obtaining Pokémon and putting the respective start time of that instance into the search a number of times, you can deduce the set of parameters that appears most often, hence calibrating for the parameters you ultimately want to use for getting Pokémon. Pretty much all of the seemingly-random variables you see in the window will remain constant for your game, it's just the Timer0 variable you want to watch out for, as it will often jump back and forth between two adjacent hexadecimal values depending on the exact circumstances of your startup/reset (unfortunately there's no way to control this in practice, as the variable is determined uniquely by specifically your own hardware as opposed to a large group of DSs where a common value could be obtained). Hope this clears things up a bit.

I still need help. I talked with DNA to find an SID, but it still won't work. Does anyone know a good guide for finding your SID(without using AR)?

Ah, sorry Yoshidude10, the thread here slipped my mind over the weekend. I think the first thing you ought to do is check that your shiny is untouched, or that you otherwise know its exact EVs; also, make sure that everything is calculated to the exact IV when inputted to a calculator, as sometimes even at Level 100 there's an odd chance the value will come out with a +/- 1 value, though it's considerably rare. Also, did you use a calculator to get your SID? If you have qualms that the calculator might have produced the wrong SID, you can always calculate it yourself on paper, I've managed to do it myself a number of times to much success. The only thing you'll need is a decimal/hex converter, but there's a ton of them online you can use easily. Also I'm not sure what you're using Method 1 for, you should just generate PIDs from the egg methods with any random seed you can hit, where you can display the shiny frames/taps on the clipboard (or using the "4th Gen Shiny Egg" function in Time Finder) – you're going to be hitting the same seed regardless of any capture algorithms you may/may not use, so Methods 1/J/K are irrelevant anyway. PID and IVs have always been separated for eggs, it applies to 4th Gen as well. And, if all else fails and you think you did everything right, it always helps to do more trials of course, especially if you can figure out from that what exactly you're hitting in terms of a seed and respective Pokétch taps, and thus if your SID is in fact wrong.

In addition to that, here's another way you can get your SID:

http://oupo.github.com/tools/gosanke-iv-to-sid.html

It's a calculator that can somehow deduce your SID through your starter's IVs, never really got the connection there :p. It does work really well though, I've been able to use it for Platinum and HGSS so would assume it works with DP too. It's pretty self-explanitory even if you don't read Japanese; there's another linked calculator to get your SID from a series of lottery numbers too, though it only works in HGSS and a select few Platinum-language games (because it uses only those game-specific seed tables built in).

Ok, I am trying to find a 31 in every stat that matters whimsicott. So I calibrated and found all of that stuff, and then went to Lostorn(spell?) forest. I found oneon frame 1 with the encounter slot of 0 and I hit the seed. As the game loads I hold down R as instructed and I imediatly sweet sceant. I always get a leval 19 cottonee, but it does not have 31 ivs in areas I put in. HELP!

tanker said:
Ok, I am trying to find a 31 in every stat that matters whimsicott. So I calibrated and found all of that stuff, and then went to Lostorn(spell?) forest. I found oneon frame 1 with the encounter slot of 0 and I hit the seed. As the game loads I hold down R as instructed and I imediatly sweet sceant. I always get a leval 19 cottonee, but it does not have 31 ivs in areas I put in. HELP!
That's probably your problem. I don't how to do this, but I do know that there is a specific time to hold any buttons necessary. You're probably not doing it at the right time. You'd probably be better off trying to find something that has at least 30 in every stat without button preses.
mlouden03 said:
Is emerald rng easier since the initial frame or something is always 0?

When you have all of the steps done, it is easier (so I've heard). This is because of the initial frame, as you said. 4th and 5th Gen changed this.

However, having to have a caught shiny makes everything much, much harder. Unless you're really lucky, 5th Gen Standard abuse is a lot easier.

Back