The RNG Q&A Thread

Dream World Pokémon can be RNG'ed all the same, the catch though is that you need to do the "C-Gear" method of abuse as opposed to the standard way (originally the C-Gear was the only known way to RNG in BW though, so there's a ton of resources you can find on it from just Google). C-Gear abuse is more akin to 4th Gen RNG abuse, as it uses delay, so it might be a bit harder if you're new to the process, but aside from that there aren't any particularly different obstacles. RNG Reporter will give you the option to search C-Gear seeds on its list of methods, be it in the main screen/clipboard or if you're using Time Finder.

Gary Walsh said:
Dream World Pokémon can be RNG'ed all the same, the catch though is that you need to do the "C-Gear" method of abuse as opposed to the standard way (originally the C-Gear was the only known way to RNG in BW though, so there's a ton of resources you can find on it from just Google). C-Gear abuse is more akin to 4th Gen RNG abuse, as it uses delay, so it might be a bit harder if you're new to the process, but aside from that there aren't any particularly different obstacles. RNG Reporter will give you the option to search C-Gear seeds on its list of methods, be it in the main screen/clipboard or if you're using Time Finder.

thank you very much i'm a newbie to rng and i really want some good dw pokemon if i can't breed for the ability.

Also I've heard they have a shiny flag on them so it's not possible to rng for them. Is this true?

I don't know it for a fact, though Game Freak has put a large number of flags and shiny checks on other Pokémon in the physical game itself (i.e. Reshiram/Zekrom and Victini), so I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they applied it to the DW as well. Pokémon like the new Eeveelutions for example that have preset natures, abilities, or genders though can never be shiny by coincidence anyway – in order to keep a component of the PID constant, of course then you need to alter the PID manually, which Game Freak does, but if you do this you can still only use a single PID for every scenario, and thus the chances of having that single PID contain shininess is slim to none unless you explicitly choose a shiny PID. That's why event/wonder card Pokémon can only be shiny all of time (like the Pikachu-Colored-Pichu and VGC Milotic; you'll notice too that all shiny event Pokémon hence have preset genders and natures), or regular all of the time, but there's no in-betweens and variables (except the Manaphy egg, but that's a different scenario for reasons involving ID/SID combos).

Nintendo confirmed that Dream World Pokemon have a shiny check. I just have to find the article...

/me goes to Google

Yeah, figures… I suppose it's for the best in the end, as long as the special abilities and other attributes continue to serve a more practical purpose for those who could make use of it. That being said, it's inevitable there'll be opportunities to get shiny Pokémon in the future, after all the same mechanism is being used to prevent shininess right now, so it'd be routine for Game Freak to implement it reversely.

Can someone tell me how I can rng to make a starter pokemon in heart gold shiny (the one you get from elm). is that Easier or harder since it's an event. I KINDA know about RNG but it seems super complicated counting this and that etc..Also possibly perfect IVS if I could do that as well. I know trying for multiple things probably makes it more complicated. Also What aspect does time play? Like if my Ds clock is off by 2 minutes would it not work?

I don't much about 4th Gen RNG, but why would you try to RNG for the starter when you could just hatch an egg?

Eggs are easier than encounter Pokemon, no questions asked. IMO, Soft Reseting for a starter would be easier, but you can do whatever you want, since I hate encounter RNGing.

No, I just don't like encounter RNGing, and Egg RNG is super easy, but you can RNG for the encounter if you want...

@mlouden03: To respond to the posts between you and Chariblaze, RNG'ing a starter as opposed to hatching one is somewhat easier if you're new to the process, albeit you don't have the luxury of egg moves and you'll have less of a margin for getting higher IVs on a lower frame. Starters can be classified as "gift" Pokémon, and thus fall under a Method 1 classification because the Pokémon is simply added to your party instantaneously without the need for any complex PID/IV jumbling algorithms that are used to increase variance in wild Pokémon and egg generation. So, with that in mind, to find an acceptable spread for your starter, you'll have to generate spreads under Method 1 in RNG Reporter's Time Finder (or JavaRNG/etc. if you use another program instead, it's all the same process). The one thing you want to keep in mind with the starters though is that each of them has a different starting or "monster" frame: Chikorita is 1, Cyndaquil is 5, and Totodile is 9. When you first start out the game, you won't have a way to reliably increase your frame, as you don't have the PokéGear or party Pokémon yet, so you'll literally have to just find spreads in RNG Reporter that match the starting frame of the starter you want. While this eliminates the need to do frame advancements, it also severely reduces the number of desirable IV combinations you can get, so unless you get lucky, you might not find a hex flawless all-31 spread unless you try and hit a really high delay, which is nearly impossible if you don't have a timer, and very frustrating if you're on a beginning level with learning RNG abuse.

Also, if you want to get a shiny, you're going to need to RNG your ID/SID combo (which plays into determining the generation of shiny Pokémon), it's impossible to find a shiny with flawless IVs unless you have one of a certain few combinations. RNG'ing for these values is much harder than a standard process for getting a Pokémon, because again you have to hit very high delays (4000-5000+ usually), which is frustrating if you don't have a thorough understanding of RNG abuse conceptually (in other words it's probably not gonna work out well if you follow a cookbook process, you have to understand completely what you're doing, not just how you're doing it). You also have to practice hitting your delays; the game starts counting delay from the moment you boot it up to the small instance after your character shrinks down (the black screen before the game starts in New Bark Town). However, the plus side here is that you can find all the information you need for a good ID/SID combo in RNG Reporter. There's a plugin application called "Pandora's Box" that you can access by clicking the respective button on RNG Reporter's main screen, which allows you to find an ID and SID based on the date/time/delay, or vice versa.

But, that's all assuming you've got a basic understanding of the general practice of RNG abuse. If all of that is making your head spin right now :p, you can find great guides on both Youtube (check out bearsfan092drums' channel) and Smogon to get familiar with the more simple mechanics.

Ok..I'm totally new to rng-ing..and I know I won't get egg moves etc..and so it's really hard for someone who's TOTALLY new to RNG to do it?..how long would it take to find the info put it in blah blah etc. like..20 mins? hour? and you mentioned a timer..so like I should find a stopwatch or something?

Also would it be Easier to rng a shiny At least if not Flawless IV for the Gen one starter Oak gives you in pallet town instead of the Johto starter?

Edit Sidenote:

I forget..do you CHOOSE which gen one starter or is it predetermined? I have chickorita in my FULLY played heart gold. (aiming to get a charmander from oak if I do that)

Since the question is off-topic, and since I have nothing to contribute, I'll just tell you that the Gen 1 and Gen 3 starter isn't determined; you get to pick whatever you want. -Chariblaze

To get all the information you need from RNG Reporter takes no time at all (literally like 5-10 minutes if you know what you're looking for), but actually putting into practice the information you get (resetting at the right time, hitting the right delay, etc.) is the meat of the matter, it could take anywhere from one try to weeks depending on how skilled and/or motivated you are to persevere in it.

As far as timers go, do a Google search for either PikaTimer or Eontimer. They're basically two-step timers that convert delay into seconds and work with calibrated/target times/delays to tell you ultimately when to reset and when to press A on Continue to hit your target seed. If you download one of them and take a look you'll see it's very straightforward and easy to use, you just need to know what values you need for each time/seconds/delay box. You can use a stopwatch instead if you really wanted to (in fact I used the iOS time app for a while to RNG on the road :p), but there'll always be a greater degree of human error of course, so it might become frustrating as it gets more and more repetitive.

And concerning starters, it'd be much more fruitful to RNG for the Kanto starter, because at that point in the game you have a number of ways to advance your frame to get the flawless IVs and other qualities you want that you can't necessarily get at the beginning Johto starter selection, and you can call Professor Elm to make sure you're on the right seed before doing frame advancements based on his statements, saving you a lot of time and grief. Just remember though that while getting one or the other is relatively easy (either shininess or perfect IVs), getting both will be 100% impossible unless you can RNG your ID/SID. You need to know your ID and SID anyway if you want to RNG for any sort of shiny Pokémon – to that end I should add getting a shiny Kanto starter would be much easier as well because you acquire more ways of checking your SID as you progress through the game.

Ok....

I'm trying to RNG a Fraxure (Spelling?) with a Jolly nature, and a 31 in every necessary stat. I found my IV spread, loaded up game, and hit my seed. On a Heatmor. Ok, so I keep trying, and I keep getting the same Heatmor.

So, I thought that maybe the RNG was influencing what Pokemon I encountered. So, I looked up Encounter slots.

With my new found knowledge, I put the encounter slot to 7 (the slot Fraxure is found), and generated a Fan-Dangled new seed. I copied my seed to the clipboard, and in the main window I selected Method 5 PIDRNG, and set my Synch nature to Jolly (I'm using a Jolly synchronizer), and pasted my seed into the 'Seed (hex)' area. Alrighty! I hit the "Calculate Initial PIDRNG Frame" button, and found that I was supposed to hit the starting frame of 55.

Now. With that information, I loaded up my white, and hit my seed. I talked to my Chatot 55 times (peww...), and sweet scented into my Fraxure. Unfortunately, my Fraxure was actually a Heatmor. I kept trying, and kept encountering any other Pokemon than what I wanted. Every time I encountered a Pokemon, I verified that I hit my seed, and I did.

I'm not sure what's wrong. From my brief understanding of PIDRNGing, viewing your chatot with a chatter recorded advances the frame by 1.

Thank you for your time. :)

Back