The RNG Q&A Thread

In Emerald the RNG jumps frames about sixty times every second, so going in cold to RNG a particular Pokémon can be pretty difficult without a fair bit of practice. That being said, at least for wild Pokémon, using a Synchronizer helps immensely, because 50% of the time, depending on the particular instance, the RNG will skip up to a frame that matches your Synchronizer's nature – every frame in Emerald is set in stone and constant for all games (hence their dependent on a particular time after starting the game), so the RNG should usually hit your target if you're slightly under (we're still talking tenths to hundredths of a second though), rather than duplicating a particular frame with the desired nature, as is the case in 4th Gen abuse. 5th Gen abuse is completely different because of the separation of the MTIV and PID RNGs. Personally I'd say Emerald abuse is actually much easier in that scenario because there are less variables complicating the process; I've gotten shinies in one try before using the correct-nature Synchronizer. Unless you want a particular nature or set of IVs, it could take under a few minutes to find a good shiny frame, and without shininess it can be even shorter.

I found a new seed without any keypresses and I tried again. The same thing happend. Any other ideas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trying C-Gear abuse. I’m trying to find the delay I’m hitting to adjust my timer

Okay, so I go in and find my seed in RNG Reporter. I changed the method to 5, changed the Mac Address (0026599991E4), put in my ID and SID (07280 and 36063) hit shiny only, and pressed search. After about an hour I find my perfect seed- 409CB1CF, with a frame of 31 I put it to Seed to Time and come out with a date that looks good to me, 2011 07 03, 03:22:21. I flew to the E4 and I went back to Victory Road, and entered the first cave I saw. I saved and turned the power off. I put a Calibration of 0, a delay of 8160 (which is what it said), and my target seconds as 21, in EonTimer. I set my DS time to 03:22:00, and start both at the same time. I click a on the game when the first timer ends, then the game starts up. Then I wait until the tbing loads (I don’t press any buttons, till reshiram pops up) and go into the game with C-Gear off. I press the C-Gear Power button and wait till the second timer goes off. When it does I press the Yes button. I immediately Sweet Scent, I catch the pokemon, check the IVs, generate a list of adjacent seeds, and I search those IVs and it says there are no results that match the ivs. I’ve done this more than once, with a calibration of 0, and a calibration of -195. I’m pretty sure that’s what wrong.. Can someone help? PS: I don’t really get the timer. When I put in 1 second, it has 60 seconds on the timer. Can someone explain that to me?

tanker said:
I found a new seed without any keypresses and I tried again. The same thing happend. Any other ideas.
You might want to go back to RNG Reporter and check which method you used in Time Finder – as far as I know, a standard-seed wild Pokémon capture doesn't use keypresses, so if that's the process you were planning to go by, even if your seed doesn't require a keypress it still may have been generated through the wrong method. If you're doing a C-Gear capture, find a seed that has a desirable frame 3 or over; trying to hit a frame of 1 is impossible because there's an initial frame jump of 3 when the game reseeds itself after the C-Gear has been turned on.

@hipoke: I don't have a ton of practical experience with C-Gear RNG abuse, nor do I have access to RNG Reporter at the moment, so I'll just point out the obvious by saying make sure the method used in Time Finder is consistent with what you're using for the process and vice versa, and increase your adjacent seed delay and seconds values by as much as possible if you haven't done so already; I'll try and dig deeper in a bit when I can. About the timer, I haven't used EonTimer at all myself though, but usually those types of things are just the GUI not catching up to user input – does it revert to 1 second when the timer's actually running?

okay, ive tried to find a place where i can figure out how to work RNGs, and it hasnt worked out for me. i just dont understand it. mainly all i want to know is how to get a perfect IV'd tornadus with a jolly nature. is there anyone who can help me here? i need to know before Nats. (july 8) and would love to know quite a while before it. PM me, as i probably wont remember about this post on here. thank you.

Ok, I'm currently saved on Rayquaza on my Emerald version. I have my SID, and I have the program that calculates the frames and everything. Whenever I count and get to the correct frame in time, do I press A? Or what, because I'm confused, as whenever I do hit the frame I'm counting on and it's supposed to be say Jolly nature, it comes out as something else.

@pokemaster563: The best thing to do would just be to run over the basics. If you don't have a conceptual understanding of how the RNG works, you'll just be blindly following a cookbook formula with no idea how to fix problems when they crop up. Here's a preliminary concept review page from Smogon; it was written for 4th Gen RNG abuse, but all of the concepts carry over in some form to 5th Gen, so the first thing you want to do is to get a thorough understanding of the terms listed, as they're the basic components that make up the practical side of RNG abuse. Once you understand those concepts, looking at a walkthrough guide will help you simply put them into practice. You can find a multitude of text guides from just a Google search; personally I've found video guides from YouTube most helpful in the past, they help in getting the general process down pat before you go combing through the text guides for small details.

@Tyrant Tyranitar: In Emerald, Rayquaza doesn't have a text encounter indication like fishing or other legendaries (i.e. where the Pokémon's cry is spelled out), so the frame should be set either right when you talk to it, otherwise exactly when the battle animation starts, I'm not 100% sure myself. Either way, just press A on Rayquaza right when you think you'd hit your target time (hopefully via a stopwatch or timer I'd think). It's only a fraction-of-a-second difference, so bringing a Synchronizer can remedy small undershoots of your target frame, as I mentioned above. You can always check in RNG Reporter for what frame you actually hit by checking the Rayquaza's IVs; luckily it's high-leveled, so you can get a small enough set of frames around your target to determine what you actually hit.

Alright, I'm getting kinda frustrated. I have my time and my SID for Rayquaza, and the frame is 17041 which is a waiting time of 4 minutes, 44 seconds, and 01 milliseconds. I've done this about five times and hit A exactly when the frame pops up, and it still isn't shiny, any clue as to why? ~Future thanks for the future answer~

Do you know which frames you're hitting instead of your target? I mentioned in my post above, but RNG Reporter is a very useful tool for determining and correcting mistakes, however subtle they might be. Since you're pretty sure on the time you're pressing A, try setting the starting frame in RNG Reporter (the clipboard) to something slightly less than 17041, and then after you catch the Rayquaza, plug its IVs/nature/etc. into the respective filters and regenerate the seed's frames. If a frame shows up in RNG Reporter around the target frame, you'll then know whether to press A earlier or later depending on how far before or after the target the particular frame lands.

The problem is I don't know too much about RNG other then needing the SID, frames, and the time. Other then that I just want the Pokemon shiny.

Well I figured out what I did wrong. I just messed up in the paramety finder. Thanks for all the help!

Guys, I need help. I'm trying to do standard non C-Gear RNG Abuse. I used Sweet Scent and caught the Pokemon, then went to DS Parameter Search, and used a guide to follow every step. I hit Search, but it didn't find anything. Please help!

@Azaron3: I put a citation in the spoiler (sorry for the late answer if you still needed one, didn't notice the thread was active again for a while…).

mingot said:
What is RNG Manipulation?

There are many seemingly random events in Pokémon: the IVs and natures of the Pokémon that you capture or breed, the number of steps an NPC walks before turning, or the odds that your newly hatched Totodile is shiny. As it turns out, these events are all governed by the output of a class of mathematical formulas, which are known as pseudo random number generators. The word "pseudo", often used to paint things as "fraudulent" or "false", is very appropriate in this case. Even though the numbers output by these formulas may appear to be random, they are not. Each sequence begins with a single number, often referred to as a seed, and continues on in a predictable pattern.

As the seed determines the sequence of numbers that will follow, it is important that it is different each and every time you play. If the same seed was chosen each time, the pattern of numbers, and how they affect the game, would be noticeable over time, breaking the illusion of randomness. To alleviate this potential problem, the developers decided to create the seed using something that should be different every time you play: the date and time on your Nintendo DS. By doing some light math on the individual components (year, month, hours, etc.) of the date and time, a "unique" seed is created each time you start the game.

There is an obvious flaw in this technique; we can change the date and time on our Nintendo DS systems before we start the game. With knowledge of how the date and time affect the seed, it is possible to choose a combination that yields a desirable result, allowing us to control the sequence of pseudo-random numbers that is generated. Coupled with the knowledge of how the game uses those numbers to create Pokémon, we become the creators, picking and choosing desirable traits, removing any remaining vestiges of randomicity.

@tanker: Thought I'd just make a mention on the subject of parameters, and since it could save you a ton of headaches down the road – it'd be best to do at least a 3-4 trial calibration of your game's timer0 parameter if you haven't done so already. Timer0 fluctuates between two hex values (for example my White Version's values alternate between C7F and C80 on my own DS), and since it's based solely on your hardware, there's essentially nothing you can do to manipulate it (other than to try and replicate a game start the same exact way every time, though it's not proven to work 100%). If you know which two values your timer0 matches consistently, you'll know that if the Pokémon you catch doesn't have the desired traits (and the time/date/anything else is accounted for), chances are you hit the alternate timer0 that wasn't your target (so for example if I'm trying to hit a seed with a timer0 of C7F and the Pokémon is incorrect, I probably hit an adjacent seed with a timer0 of C80, and vice versa – just search the other non-target seed in RNG Reporter to find the incorrect spread you're hitting). It's one thing many people don't notice when they can't hit a particular seed and assume their date/time or other variables are incorrect, though I don't know if that was your exact problem beforehand.

@Yoshidude: Going along with what tanker said, the only thing I could advise would be to check and double check your IVs (especially with ranges) and date/time doing searches, it's human error that becomes a nuisance with those sorts of things, the RNG's always calculatedly constant.

It still doesn't work. Does using a copy of the actual game affect this? (the game takes longer than usual games to load up).

Ok, I have another problem. Lets say I want to catch a perfect foongus. I put in the ivs and change the encounter slot to 3. When I hit my seed it is something else other then a foongus, but it will have perfect ivs. Any ideas?

Yoshidude10 said:
It still doesn't work. Does using a copy of the actual game affect this? (the game takes longer than usual games to load up).

That is probably your problem. First of all, you have to change your computer's internal date and time, emulators use that. Also you have to find a way to "extend" your parameter search. The parameters search is only meant to include the ds, and doesn't go as far as to Emulators. I'm not sure how to do this, I guess you'll have to ask someone else.

tanker said:
Ok, I have another problem. Lets say I want to catch a perfect foongus. I put in the ivs and change the encounter slot to 3. When I hit my seed it is something else other then a foongus, but it will have perfect ivs. Any ideas?

Okay, if this is not a frame 1 Spread, and you have to walk to change the frame, you are changing the PIDRNG which affects the encounter slot. By 3 they mean if you don't move at all and sweet scent right away. If you are by chance moving, you have to learn how to track your PIDRNG, and then you can find out how to hit encounter slot 3.

tanker said:
But I am on frame one.

So you're not moving at all? Like nothing? Then it might be moving NPCs. You have to get in your party as soon as possible, and the NPCs can't get you. I know there's one route where you can get foonguses and there are no npcs, but i'm not sure which one it is.

Back