The RNG Q&A Thread

Standard is easier with a real copy =P I didn't say it wasn't possible, in fact a lot of the pro RNGers use an emulator, but you'd need to find a guide on that, there are some steps added in there that you normally wouldn't need if you were using a real ds.

Unfortunately because the MTIVRNG and PIDRNGs are separated, you can't necessarily use the standard method of checking a "random" shiny's IVs, as just the PID isn't nearly specific enough to turn up a result, which is what RNG Reporter's gonna search. However, if you know the exact time you encountered a random shiny (down to the minute should be good enough, quickly look at the in-battle clock when you're in the encounter with the Pokémon), that should be able to substitute as a variable to narrow things down enough. Other than that, there's little else I know of that's been proven to work. You could try finding your SID from your starter's IVs, which was a useful 4th Gen utility, but I doubt that math as obscure as that stayed the same (or present at all) after the generational/technological shift. Granted I've never tried it myself for BW, and the applet (linked) doesn't take Pokémon generation methods into account, so perhaps it would still be theoretically possible, if only based on that principle. I guess it's so farfetched it makes me innately doubtful…

@Yoshidude10
I actually know a site that can help you find your SID without a shiny. Its pokecheck.org and it can help you find your SID with any pokemon you have ,not just a shiny. All you need is a 4th or 5th gen game and a wifi connection

I'm new to RNGing and I'm trying to RNG a Shiny Coballion with IVs of 31HP/30atk/30Def/31Sp.atk/31Speed and a hidden power ice. my id is 04511 and my SID is 10599. Im trying to use Non C-Gear method, so what should i do, and is what I'm asking for even possible?

Yeah, in fact it's relatively easy considering Cobalion's a stationary legendary in a location without any wandering NPCs (your IDs might complicate the shiny part though). Standard abuse, as you requested, is gonna be the easiest way to go, so just go through the normal motions of finding a desired seed for IVs and locating a desired PID via the PIDRNG in the same seed, then proceed to hit the seed in-game, do necessary frame advancements, and catch Cobalion. However, because you're looking for a shiny PID, seeds containing applicable PIDs (on low frames, which you absolutely need…unless you don't mind suicide :p) with the IVs you want are going to be pretty sparse, but luckily RNG Reporter has a built-in "Search for Nearby Shiny Frames" function in the Time Finder, so put in your ID, SID, and the frame limit, check the respective search box, and then just generate spreads as normal. I'd recommend turning on keypresses and widening your Timer0 range (in Time Finder's parameter setup tab) if you can to get the highest possibility of something turning up – bear in mind you can always lower unneeded IVs too and still retain a 70BP Hidden Power.

Ok. i decided to practice RNGing stationary pokemon, so i practiced on Kyurem. I found all my parameters, chose my seed on frame one, did it, and caught Kyurem. Unfortunately, it did not have the ivs i wanted. Why is that? I looked at several videos and guides, and none of them answered my question. Please help

I'm guessing your timer0 would probably have been off (it fluctuates by one hex value due to the hardware you're using, which you might've noticed when calibrating your parameters), otherwise you might've been off by +/- 1 second or accidentally advanced the MTIVRNG frame – you can check adjacent seeds in RNG Reporter's "Seed to Time" function, and search the IVs you got (or generate your target seed in the clipboard and search for your IVs there if you're 100% sure you hit it).

I checked the Timer0 4 times, and i found the one that showed up 3 times so its not that. I'll check some of those and see what happens.

Hey, so I'm sort of new to RNGing (just started today actually). I downloaded PPRNG version 1.5 and entered my basic info into MyConfig. I did what the guide said and saved before a standing legendary (Kyurem) and caught it. I used this IV calculator:

http://metalkid.info.microsoft2008hosting.com/Pokemon/Calculators/IVs.aspx.

I got the IVs and inputted them into my DS Parameter searcher. I entered everything in (except the keys because I didn't click any). And when I press search, nothing came up. Could someone explain to me what I'm doing wrong? Here's the page that I was using:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10290

Also, would somebody mind explaining to me Timer0, VCount, and VFrame? Thank you.

Timer0, VCount and VFrame are kinda of electronic pulses in your ds which are all unique from ds to ds. This decides a important factor in the formula for RNGing, whch is why you need them. Anyways for the first question, I can't really say much rather then asking you if you're using a Original DS or DS Lite, and asking you to keep trying. Make sure you're starting it up at the right time, and don't press anything untl the Gamefreak logo pops up.

Thank you Hipoke :)). I'm using the original DS. I'm gonna try again and thanks for the advice about not pressing anything, I didn't know that.

@Darkrai's nightmare: Just to add real quick on what hipoke said before you go back to the drawing board, but one small yet important measure you should consider is that you're doing hard resets for your parameter searches. There's a fourth parameter (GxStat) that the game keeps at a value of 6 for "regular" startups, and because it fluctuates during soft resets (I don't know how erratic it is or if you can calibrate for it), PPRNG doesn't bother with it and assumes the user is doing hard resets for multiple trials with parameters or Pokémon. It's kind of a trivial thing, but I know a fair few people who have been screwing up for a while because they've carried their 4th Gen RNG and general convenience habits over to 5th Gen RNGing without a second thought, soft resetting being probably the biggest one. Other than that, just changing your date/time and in-game capture environments is recommended anyway for parameter calibration, so if you messed up a particular time without noticing or anything else bizarre comes up, you could just consider it an accidental blip in the system (some things just aren't researched enough yet :p…).

Gary Walsh said:
@Darkrai's nightmare: Just to add real quick on what hipoke said before you go back to the drawing board, but one small yet important measure you should consider is that you're doing hard resets for your parameter searches. There's a fourth parameter (GxStat) that the game keeps at a value of 6 for "regular" startups, and because it fluctuates during soft resets (I don't know how erratic it is or if you can calibrate for it), PPRNG doesn't bother with it and assumes the user is doing hard resets for multiple trials with parameters or Pokémon. It's kind of a trivial thing, but I know a fair few people who have been screwing up for a while because they've carried their 4th Gen RNG and general convenience habits over to 5th Gen RNGing without a second thought, soft resetting being probably the biggest one. Other than that, just changing your date/time and in-game capture environments is recommended anyway for parameter calibration, so if you messed up a particular time without noticing or anything else bizarre comes up, you could just consider it an accidental blip in the system (some things just aren't researched enough yet :p…).
Thank you Gary, I'll keep all of that in mind :). Yeah, I tried again twice but still no seed came up. I don't know what's going on. I'm being very focused on what time I start and I don't press anything. Just wondering, what RNG do you guys use?

RNG as in program? Even though I have an iMac, I primarily use RNG Reporter 9.81 for 5th Gen right now (too lazy to check if there're any new betas, haha), the only catch is that I have to run it through a Windows VM because of the system requirements. I recently got into using PPRNG on my laptop though (which is actually a severely busted hand-me-down PowerBook that I share with my brother :p), because even though it can't run most VMs since it has an older PowerPC processor, I still wanted to see if I could RNG solely with Mac OS, so I can get stuff done on the road or if someone kicks me off the desktop (the latter being the most often scenario…). Turns out PPRNG requires an Intel processor just like VMs, but I downloaded anyway and it seems to work fine (never really got the compatibility difference between PowerPC and Intel in the first place…) – I thought it'd be horribly stripped down in comparison to RNG Reporter, but as it happens the two are essentially the same thing, so thankfully Mac users aren't missing out on too much. You get your standard seed searchers and inspectors, parameter-finding functions, the Pandora's Box plugin for ID abusing, and basically every single function you would need on a regular basis (including C-Gear stuff). The only minor things I haven't found yet that would be really convenient are an inital PIDRNG frame finder and better search refining options for target seed frames – it only gives you nature and shininess, though you can sort alphabetically/numerically by nature, ability, ESV, and all that good stuff in the search window itself (you have to scroll through though, which is really annoying for larger search parameters and stuff like dealing with NPCs…). I'm sure I'm just missing something obvious for those though, I need to tinker around with the program more. Much respect to the developer chiizu, it was definitely a huge utility that was a long time coming.

And about the problem at hand, have you tried calibrating on any other Pokémon besides Kyurem? As far as I know it follows the same generation/all-around mechanics as a normal wild Pokémon, but maybe there's something internally different about the encounter that wouldn't register with PPRNG. The best place to go would probably just be Victory Road if you can, see if you have better luck there.

Hmmmm, I'm gonna try RNG reporter because I have a PC (but I prefer my mac). And yeah, I get kicked off the computer a lot too lol. And yeah, I've only been trying Kyurem, but I'll try going to Victory Road with my sweet scenter. Thanks again Gary :D.

Also, are you able to calculate your SID by breeding a shiny egg? What would you all say the best method of obtaing your SID would be?

Unless there's been a breakthrough in the past few months that I don't know about, SIDs in BW can only be obtained through cheating, sadly.

Chariblaze said:
Unless there's been a breakthrough in the past few months that I don't know about, SIDs in BW can only be obtained through cheating, sadly.
Oh okay. Thank you Chariblaze :).

Back