ORAS Team Magma / Team Aqua Discussion Thread

comic321

Adventuring Spirit
So now since Team Magma & Aqua have been redesigned & whatnot, do you think their stories will change as well? Considering that the games are full remakes, I figure they might tweak up the plot a little bit. What do you all think?

RE: Team Magma/Team Aqua Discussion Thread

I believe that there will be a few changes as to what their actual goals are this time around considering the new forms for the mascots. Also who knows if they will per sue megas and how that will affect how their stories change.

I'm hoping they get some tougher pokemon and possibly megas for Archie and Maxie. As for the plot, I hope that Team Magma gets a bit more significant of a role in Sapphire and Aqua in Ruby, whether that role is aiding the protagonist or opposing them. I also hope that their methods and areas of encounter aren't carbon copies like in the original R/S but they do different things like in Emerald. For example, Team Aqua in Mt. Chimney and Team Magma in Seafloor Cavern just don't make all that much sense to me. Hopefully they can come up with an equivalent amount of segments with the antagonist teams but using different more specified locations and different targets. I would enjoy the tag team battle with Steven against Team Magma in Mossdeep Space Center to return and/or an equivalent for Team Aqua. Maybe Wallace could aid you against them in Seafloor Cavern or something. (That reminds me, I could imagine Steven being champion in one game and Wallace being the champion in the other.) Basically I like the idea of solid differences between the team's targeted areas and methods and plans in the games. It seemed odd for them to have the exact same operations for completely opposite objectives.

Stephen Williams said:
I believe that there will be a few changes as to what their actual goals are this time around considering the new forms for the mascots. Also who knows if they will per sue megas and how that will affect how their stories change.

Hum, I'm not really expecting any major change just because of the devolutions. I believe their goals will remain but when using the orbs not only will they awake the creatures but they'll devolve perhaps due to Drizzle and Drough, new abilities or even said orbs.
One thing I would like to change is the other team helping the player...why the hell there has to be one evil team and one good team? Both can and ARE evil, for example, Magma wanting to stop Aqua not only because of that team's plans to expand the sea but because they also have their own plans for expanding the land, not just because they're all of a sudden good and will help the player by fighting alongside.
As to the story itself, I wouldn't mind adding the Oldale ruins and having the evil team debut right there. I really like the evil team's story and I don't like when we spend some time without hearing or seeing them and all of a sudden all hell breaks loose. Honestly I couldn't be any sadder by only seeing Ghetsis once and never again, just his cane!
I would like for the teams to remain and find new goals, just like Galactic, either by working together or something to protect the environment, Pokémon, people and staying in their bases.

I think Team Magma/Aqua should try to severely weaken Kyogre/Groudon so that Groudon/Kyogre can expand the land/sea.They should also be in the opposite games as in R/S.

Also,the other team could try to stop the villianous team (example,team magma stopping team aqua)

Stephen Williams said:

I think the Orbs may be tweaked slightly to not only to awaken Kyogre/Groudon but to trigger their "Ancient/Primal" forms as well.

I think there should be version exclusive areas in OR/AS, these areas where you encounter Team Magma/ Team Aqua depending on your version. I hope they improve team Magma&Aqua rosters because they are incredibly weak. At least shove in Zangoose for team Magma, and Seviper for team Aqua. I hope Maxie, and Archie use mega evolutions.

I really do hope they tweak the stories just a little bit. I mean, I liked the plot in Gen 3 because it was very different from previous games with the two different teams, but their motivations just never really made sense to me :/

In the trailer if you look at the vs screen for both Maxie and Archie you can see a key stone on Archie's chain and Maxie's glasses. So Mega Camerupt and Sharpedo??

Chespin777 said:
I think there should be version exclusive areas in OR/AS, these areas where you encounter Team Magma/ Team Aqua depending on your version. I hope they improve team Magma&Aqua rosters because they are incredibly weak. At least shove in Zangoose for team Magma, and Seviper for team Aqua. I hope Maxie, and Archie use mega evolutions.

I think it's fairly safe to say they will, given these images from the trailer:

Maxie's got a Key Stone in his glasses, and

Archie's got one on his necklace

Like King Xerneas said, Mega Camerupt and Sharpedo sound like possibilities! :D

Here's a thought. If you look at the different bases of Magma and Aqua (in the E3 trailer), you'll notice how Magma's seems to be more high tech with the tubes of magma seeming akin to a stereotypical lab, while Aqua has a more "natural" looking base, more akin to an ancient ship with only chains relying greatly on nature. What if Magma was now all about technological advancement while Aqua was more thinking about nature or something of the like. This could explain the Alpha and Omega titles as Alpha typically means the beginning, a more natural time with less technology and Omega is about the end when humans destroy the planet with technology (yes that is going a bit far, but you get the point).

DrEspeon said:
Here's a thought. If you look at the different bases of Magma and Aqua (in the E3 trailer), you'll notice how Magma's seems to be more high tech with the tubes of magma seeming akin to a stereotypical lab, while Aqua has a more "natural" looking base, more akin to an ancient ship with only chains relying greatly on nature. What if Magma was now all about technological advancement while Aqua was more thinking about nature or something of the like. This could explain the Alpha and Omega titles as Alpha typically means the beginning, a more natural time with less technology and Omega is about the end when humans destroy the planet with technology (yes that is going a bit far, but you get the point).

I had speculated on the the thread for the corocoro news leak that team magma are basically geologists, or underground researchers(literally), while team aqua are more like barbaric pirates. Even in the brief trailer animations of Maxie and Archie throwing pokeballs you can see a similar contrast. Archie wildly swings his whole body while Maxie just frowns and and casually tosses his pokeball. I'm loving these character choices.

I really love the updated designs for Archie and Maxie. As much as I really enjoyed the concept behind the teams in the original R/S, a lot of details didn't really make much sense, though Emerald helped organize and make more sense of things. If they're going to keep the team duality of the originals rather than revamping the Emerald storyline, it would indeed make a lot more sense for the storyline to be updated as well.

Athena said:
If they're going to keep the team duality of the originals rather than revamping the Emerald storyline, it would indeed make a lot more sense for the storyline to be updated as well.

Not to mention the storylines might need to differ from each other rather significantly, especially in the locations of certain events. I do hope they keep Groudon in Mt. Chimney instead of Seafloor Cavern.

I really hope they get unique dialogue. If you play both Ruby and Sapphire and pay attention to their dialogue (or look it up on Bulbapedia), it hardly changes at all between versions. Archie and Maxie had similar dialogue (the only variables are when they mention the legendary they're after and the name of their team), Matt and Tabitha had pretty much the exact same dialogue, as did Shelly and Courtney. It felt like they were parallel versions of each other, not characters with their own individual personalities.

Seven is a Color said:
I really hope they get unique dialogue. If you play both Ruby and Sapphire and pay attention to their dialogue (or look it up on Bulbapedia), it hardly changes at all between versions. Archie and Maxie had similar dialogue (the only variables are when they mention the legendary they're after and the name of their team), Matt and Tabitha had pretty much the exact same dialogue, as did Shelly and Courtney. It felt like they were parallel versions of each other, not characters with their own individual personalities.

I also wouldn't mind seeing some...not accent...but more differences according to their looks. I'm not saying that I would like to see Archie say "Ahoy mate" or something but Maxie should have a more careful speech while Archie a more loose and casual one. Since they're going for such flamboyant design at least go beyond the mere look of it! :rolleyes:

Meaty said:
Athena said:
If they're going to keep the team duality of the originals rather than revamping the Emerald storyline, it would indeed make a lot more sense for the storyline to be updated as well.

Not to mention the storylines might need to differ from each other rather significantly, especially in the locations of certain events. I do hope they keep Groudon in Mt. Chimney instead of Seafloor Cavern.

Here is an interesting picture:
http://www.pokemonrubysapphire.com/_ui/img/_en/june/screenshots/EN_V1_p27_08_qjs.jpg

I'm pretty convinced by now that the plot will barely differ from RS and leave out all the extra parts that Emerald added to compensate for each team showing up only at one half of the "villain encounters" that suits their theme better (with the only big example being the Magma base in the volcano)...

I was wondering since forever how they would tweak the story to make it feel less unfinished than RS felt due to these details, since Emerald likely isn't getting remade...but the only thing I didn't expect was that they would not even try tweaking it in that sense lol.
More hope for Delta Emerald or just sheer laziness? <_<

I mean, I was expecting they'd at least do the obvious thing you're suggesting and put Groudon into the Emerald Chimney base...but lets face it. This combined with the footage of Groudon showing up in the ocean near Sootopolis makes it pretty clear that it's gonna be Seafloor cavern for both...

(was dead set Im getting Ruby this time...but I feel like Sapphire is the more true one of them in hits case...just like the kimono girls going to the bottom of the freakin whirl islands felt forced in SS for version difference consistency sake)

Back