XY Shiny Pokémon Mechanics: Less Rare in X / Y

RE: Shiny Pokémon in X / Y: Less Rare & More Special

Xous said:
Last night I figured I'd start the task of filling up my 'Dex so I went on a catching spree. Started at Route 3, and within five minutes managed to find a shiny Azurill. Less than ten minutes later while fishing for Sharpedo I found a shiny Gyarados. (Within 3 to 5 casts - it's not like I was chain fishing, either.) These two add to the shiny Quagsire and shiny Clauncher I've already found in this game.

I'd like to blame it on luck but it does seem, at least from my perspective, that shiny Pokémon are at least a tiny bit easier to find (taking into account all of the other people who seem to have found them, and have had experiences similar to mine). Granted, then you have people like Jungletoad above who have been playing for years and still haven't found any, which makes me question my thinking. Part of me wouldn't be surprised if the odds haven't changed, but if that's the case I've had some pretty awesome luck.

I personally believe that normal encountering a shiny has increased from 1/8000 to 1/4000 (roughly). Finding a shiny in Safari is probably around 1/1000. Finally, finding a shiny with chain-fishing is probably 1/100 after 5 casts (although this is probably grossly simplified on my behalf).

It's definitely easier to find a shiny but I don't feel it's so easy that anyone can get them without a little bit of work. I've been searching the Friend Safari for the last two days for a shiny (around 6 hours each day) without finding one. I know it's not a lot to the shiny elitist but that's pretty lengthy in my opinion.

Robot said:
I was lucky enough yesterday to get a second shiny this playthrough (my third ever), a shiny Pyroar! I had just beaten the game I went to the Friend Safari, wanting to see what was in them. I was in the very 1st Safari, and one of the first Pokémon I encountered was shiny Pyroar. I was so happy. :D
Is it male or female? (Male Pyroars are fairly rare.)

I do not think shiny rates have increased; its just luck. Maybe in the FS it has gone up, though i've never been this dedicated in any Pokemon game till this to getting a shiny so i personally blame it on that. I've gotten 4 now: 3 in FS and a carbink in reflection cave. Currently i am shiny hunting in a FS with chansey, teddiursa and minccino.

[private]Fixed atrocious spelling/grammar. Sent a PM.
Original: "i also agree with the fact i do not think shiny rates have increased its just luck maybe in the FS it has gone up tho iv never been this dedicated in any Pokemon game till this to getting shiny so i personally blame it on that iv gotten 4 now 3 in FS and a carbink in reflection cave, currently i am shiny hunting in a FS with chansey, teddiursa and minccino"
~Frezgle[/private]

Hey guys I've been looking had for a shiny member of the Gengar family. I've seen a few circling online but I feel like they are more rare, being that they cannot be found via fishing obviously. I've also tried to breed for one. If anyone sees this and they have what I'm looking for PLEASE PM me…I'll make it worth it since I want a shiny mega Gengar (nicknamed Casper) so bad haha

Catfish said:
Is it male or female? (Male Pyroars are fairly rare.)
It was female, but it being shiny makes up for it :p. It isn't that drastic of a change, though: the fur is darker, but the eyes are red. I like it.

I just want shinies to be as rare as they always have been, when in tall grass.

Where do you find people to tip?
I want a few Friend Safari shinies, and I was wondering where I should go to tip people.

One of the cafes in Lumiose has poets you can tip, any photo location works, and the battle restaurants in Lumiose also have an option to tip at the end of the series of battles.

Currently at a shiny count of 8. Just caught my shiny dragonair there. Good nature, Now just to train it up

TheTPCProductionz said:
How have people managed to get a female Charmander ?

The Charmander I got from Prof. Sycamore was a female, so it was really easy for me. >_>

That said, I haven't come across any shinies yet, but I haven't exactly been hunting either. Now that the rates have been lowered, I'll likely look around for some of my favourites once I'm post-game. :D I want to see if I can chain fish a shiny Barboach for Whiscash, and hopefully get some from Friend Safaris, too. Before when the rates were higher, it wasn't really worth it, but with the ease of trading for Masuda Method hatching, and also Friend Safaris and tipping and such, I'm looking forward to being able to work at getting shinies of my favourite Pokémon in a search that feels better than futile.

I just got a shiny Spritzee from my friend Safari after 500+ encounters (and I think 3 days?). GOD DAMN the one shiny I DIDN'T want... =_= Now I gotta start again to find shiny Kirlia and shiny Floette. But the rates outside of the Safari still seem pretty low since I've seen people get over thousands of encounters before they get the shiny. Although... ... ... not as ridiculous as 12,000+ encounters (how did you people EVER find the patience for this?!) I've seen someone who claimed 30,000 encounters for a shiny. After just 1,000 I give up. It's TOO redudant and I have 0 patience for it at that point. Heck I don't even like running back and forth to find either...

A pokemon that rarely appears (black triangle marked in strategy guides)
A female Combee with the right nature
A female Ralts with Trace and Modest Nature
A female Eevee with a Modest Nature

But those can be done with Cute Charm, Sychronize to make things easier. But shinies? >_O You gotta work at it and keep at it for days! Weeks! Maybe months! And even then you might not get the one you wanted but you'll take it after all the hard work you went through (unless we're talking about hatching and soft-reseting).

As for me, I like being able to encounter a shiny after a struggle (but not a LOL-NOWAY-YOU-NEVER-GETTIN-DAT-SHINY-MAYBE-FOUR-MONTHS) so I do like the higher chance.

I think the PokeRadar is still absurd. You have to have like... super sense to tell which grass shook like the one before. If you can, you can get a shiny in a quick amount of time. Sychronize to get the right nature. If I had the skills, that shiny Flabebe would be mine...

Anywho... that's my two cents. I wanna try chain fishing since my friend found two shinies fairly quickly but I heard there are folks who struggled after a chain of 70... knowing my luck that'd be me. Plus there's not many water Pokemon I'd want shiny. XP

Ugh, Yay(ish!) I've got one of my prime targets, a shiny metang! He's even got a 31 attack IV! ... Too bad it's modest :/ Oh well, at least I have one of my dream shinies now.

I finally got a shiny! After 80+ hours, nonetheless. It's a male Larvitar that I got as the first egg of a Japanese Pupitar and my ditto. I wasn't even expecting it. I just needed a pre evolved form for my pokedex. At first, I thought that ugly green color was its natural look, as they are not in X, but to my surprise it's a shiny!

Also, should I evolve him or keep him as is?

Congrats on the shiny pokes everyone!

Finally after countless fishing chains all of them in the 50-100 range I was ready to take a break for a while, then I tried one more time and found both a shiny horsea and skrelp on a chain of less than 15. The days I go around tipping like crazy I find nothing but the days I tip nobody I actually find a shiny.

Frost Mage said:
I just want shinies to be as rare as they always have been, when in tall grass.

Why?

Please explain to me what the big deal is with more common shinies. Has it changed anything with previous ones? No. Have they become extremely common? No. Does it (usually) still take waaaaay too long and require quite a bit of dedication to the game for silly, different-colored data? Yes.

Nothing has changed with your (or my!) silly "special" data.
Nothing is better about the new, silly "special" data.
It still takes dedication for the silly "special" data
And best of all, now more people can have that silly "special" data who may have wanted it before.

Don't take this as an attack; you just seem pretty intent on getting your opinion across in this thread. Issue is, even though you've posted a good ten times about why you dislike it... not once have I seen a good reason put forth.

I'm really getting used to the idea, but the reason that I didn't (at least initially) like the idea of shinies being more common, is that, the harder they are to fine, and the lower the odds of getting a shiny, the more lucky you feel when you find one. Even if the odds go down to half of what they were, finding shinies won't be as special, even if it is still very special, all things considered. I guess shiny hunters will start migrating towards the idea of shiny collecting, rather than hunting for weeks for a single shiny, and will focus more on their collection as a whole, which I'm totally into. :)

I still feel every bit as lucky to have found the shinies that I have at this point (almost all of them are green, my favorite color! Imagine that!) than I have in past generations, before I was ever intent on hunting for them.

I mean, It's not like you can actually force it. The encounter rate is definitely higher, but you still don't know exactly when it will happen or what Pokémon you'll get from it in the end (unless you're breeding or using the Poké Radar or something...in which case that's your choice).

It's just...not a nigh-on impossibility to get one out in the wild anymore. :p

If shinies are indeed more "common" as people are saying, you could have f****** fooled me. Im well over 120 hours into my game, went on countless safaris, hatched probably well over 600 eggs (over half that so far with MM), and just battled tons of wild Pokemon in general with NO results.

NoDice said:
If shinies are indeed more "common" as people are saying, you could have f****** fooled me. Im well over 120 hours into my game, went on countless safaris, hatched probably well over 600 eggs (over half that so far with MM), and just battled tons of wild Pokemon in general with NO results.

Have you tried focusing down your search? Because it's easier that way. :D

Like, instead of going around having random encounters on random safari, choose 1 safari only and focus your search there all day long. You'll eventually run into one shiny pokemon at least.

Because that's the case with me. Whenever i want certain shinies, i go around tipping people (i think this is unnecessary but it becomes a habit lol) and focus my search on that 1 safari for all day long. The fastest i can get one is under 10 minutes, and the longest is probably at 3-4 hours. When i'm really lucky, i found 3 shinies in one safari in a grand total of 6-7 hours maybe. :p

You have to be very lucky to have shinies popping on you when you're not intending on searching one (in my case the shiny Togepi).

But i don't know the odd of using MM though :shy:

IMO - Shiny Pokemon were always sopposed to be ultra mega super rare - The main problem is that so many people got fake shiny or found the method of RNG so shiny pokemon were really just for people who knew something that other players could never think of.

Back