Seismitoad EX Variants

Ironman131

Aspiring Trainer
RE: Seismitoad EX Potential and Possibilities

Yeah i didnt even think of using charizard EX. That would be a good attacker. I just posted a deck with seismitoed EX in the deck garage where I used Pyroar and on paper it looks like it could have potential.

skullvarnish

Rocket's M Venusaur EXLV.X☆exPrimeSPDelta Species

Ironman131 said:
Yeah i didnt even think of using charizard EX. That would be a good attacker. I just posted a deck with seismitoed EX in the deck garage where I used Pyroar and on paper it looks like it could have potential.
Well, since you're not running Garbodor, it doesn't work because of Virizion's Ability preventing Poison. Which means Pyroar is probably just outright better anyways.

Ironman131

Aspiring Trainer

Yeah if i were to run garbador it would change the deck completly and i would drop the dragalge and pyroar lines and run charizard EX and posibly put some blacksmith into the deck for a quick power up of Charizard.

thood

Konohagakure Shinobi

Again, I can't say too much, but I can say that my friend actually focuses more on the fact that Garbodor negates all Pokemon's abilities *cough*NoVerdantWind*cough*, and he likes to uses certain item cards in conjunction with a certain stadium...
However, he has allowed me to confirm this - He tried Pyroar in the deck, and while it worked, he found he never used it as much as he needed to for it to warrant it's deck space (he used a 3-3 line). So he removed Pyroar and tinkered around with some other cards, which again, I cannot specifically name, all I can say is that "Big Mama EX" and "Bigger Big Mama EX" have been working well for him. I hope this wasn't too revealing ;)

And to put the lock under perspective for those who doubt its power - My friend gets a Turn 1 Quaking Punch around 85% of the time. Of course he always opts to go second, as he usually gets to attack with Quaking Punch Turn 1. When he does get his Turn 1 Quaking Punch, the opponent is now unable to use ANY items, so no switch to get out of statuses, no attaching any tool cards either, and you can forget about using that Ultra Ball in your hand to try and set up. This leads to the opponent burning off more supporters than necessary - an example being once, one of his opponents actually had to use a Professor Juniper and discard 2 energy, another Professor Juniper, an N, and 2 Ultra Ball, because it was his only option to get another Pokemon on his bench. Garbodor is also crucial to this deck, so running a beefy line (3-3 or even 4-4) is a must. It's nice however, that you're opponent is forced to Lysandre your Garbodor out since Catcher is locked.

Ironman131

Aspiring Trainer

LOL, i enjoyed reading your response Thood. I realize the power of the lock, I played a dragonite garbador deck and when I was able to get dragonite out early it was very good. I guess Pyroar would make the deck more clunky.

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz

I don't see a way that Seismatoad Garb beats Virgen. To get the lock you need to go 1st, get an active seismatoad, and have at least 2 benched trubbish so that turn 2 you get the garb, tool, and DCE. To me that seems like a lot more then getting 2 grass (technically 1 and a colorless) onto a virizon ex. And If you are running Virbank you aren't running a Magnetic Storm most likely, and thats really bad. Think about it, with the lock set up, muscle band, and laserbank, you are only doing 30+30 damage to an active Virizion EX. Virizion won't even die going into your turn, which is even worst. And 4 lasers isn't going to win you the game, I mean you'll have a dowsing (maybe life dew), so 5, but its not going to win the virgen match-up. And Virizion for 2 energy is doing 100; 140 with a band. That could be a very easy turn 2 for a virizon deck. They don't even need to emerald slash to a genesect, but to another virizion because its so easy to 2-shot a seismatoad.
I do like seismatoad, but something for me right now is missing to make it a really great card competitively, but it does have a lot of potential.
EDIT: In addition, if you know your opponent is playing a T1 lock deck (opting to go second for example), then why wouldn't you want to play down all of your item/ace specs/ tool/etc. cards from your opening hand?

thood

Konohagakure Shinobi

Yeah clunkiness and the fact that he hardly used Pyroar were the reasons my friend ditched . Mewtwo EX might also be a card to consider if you wanna opt for using cards that run on colorless entirely. Maybe 4 DCE, 4 Prism, and 4 Rainbow? Maybe even include Reshiram LT since he can hit 120 for 2 Fire and 1 colorless, or up to 140 with 12 damage counters and 1 DCE.

QUICK EDIT: I would also like to add that Tornadus EX (Dark Explorers) is still in format, and will be for some time, as he was reprinted as the Legendary Treasures Pre-Release promo card. Tornadus EX is a solid colorless attacker as well

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz

thood said:
Yeah clunkiness and the fact that he hardly used Pyroar were the reasons my friend ditched . Mewtwo EX might also be a card to consider if you wanna opt for using cards that run on colorless entirely. Maybe 4 DCE, 4 Prism, and 4 Rainbow? Maybe even include Reshiram LT since he can hit 120 for 2 Fire and 1 colorless, or up to 140 with 12 damage counters and 1 DCE.

QUICK EDIT: I would also like to add that Tornadus EX (Dark Explorers) is still in format, and will be for some time, as he was reprinted as the Legendary Treasures Pre-Release promo card. Tornadus EX is a solid colorless attacker as well

None of those pokemon outside of Mewtwo EX goes with the theme of Seismatoad EX (AKA locking the opponent...), and prism energy is rotating out of format.

thood

Konohagakure Shinobi

Elbow said:
None of those pokemon outside of Mewtwo EX goes with the theme of Seismatoad EX (AKA locking the opponent...), and prism energy is rotating out of format.

I was simply offering options to attack with since it seems the discussion moved towards finding a good card to include to help deal with Viri-Gen decks. I offered Garboor, but if someone insists on teching in a Pokemon to deal with Viri-Gen, I also offered several colorless attackers.
On a side note, you're right, I completely forgot Prism is outa here :(

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player

Ironman131 said:
I know seismitoed slows Vir/Gen down but what fire attacker do you think would be best.
I've tested several R Poke to support my Seismitoad deck: Charizard EX, Pyroar and Reshiram. Of these 3, I like the Charizard EX (Combustion Blast) options most.

Ironman131

Aspiring Trainer

Yeah it seems like Charizard is the best bet and is a really good attacker outside of the Vir/Gen matchup as well.

skullvarnish

Since the type of Energy you use doesn't matter much, I guess you might as well run Fire energy since Charizard EX's second attack does 150, and with Laserbank, you KO any non-Mega EX. That's better than Seismitoad (who takes the same amount of attachments due to his second attack not working with DCE) who needs Muscle Band to hit that number.

Ironman131

Aspiring Trainer

Yeah and with charizard you dont have the damage on a benched pokemon

grantm1999

VileGar
RE: Seismitaod EX / Garbodor

This deck is so good. Like really, really good. I think people underestimate it because of its bad VirGen matchup. Even with Fire attackers the VirGen matchup isn't spectacular unfortunately, but maybe that's good to balance it. 4/4/3 Laser/Muscle/Virbank is necessary because Seismitoad's damage output needs boosting.

Satoru Tanigava

Aspiring Trainer

I really like to use de second attack from seismitoad ex, and I am trying to use water energy and water pokemons. I have tried Greninja, Blastoise, Aurouros, Garbodor, Mewtwo Ex and I am still testing others on pokemon online. My impression is that I do not hit so much only using the first attack, it only makes the opponent's game slow, but when they finally set up... Actually I believe on the power of Seismitoad EX, but until now I could not find a configuration that makes me happy.

pokedan24

Aspiring Trainer

^

Maybe Beartic (PLS)/Seismatoad? You could take advantage of the self damage from Seismatoad, powering up the outrage style attack. There's also Kyurem EX PLB, also with an outrage attack that can reach 200 for a DCE.

pygohan

Lost Deck Builder

Satoru, the idea of Seismitoad Ex is to slow down your opponent but in the mean time your deck runs at normal pace. The last attack is good for powering up Outrage attackers like what Pokedan suggested but only good as a tech card to battle vir/gen. Do keep in mind though Outrage is a great attack but only usable really for 1 turn as that pokemon will more then likely get KOed.

Yo-yos

DP and hoenn era, when tcg was dope

I won an LC with a seismetoad variant (big basics garbo approach) that pretty much took on a definite multi type function, I found that if they have a relatively terrible start comparatively and you don't, the pressure sets them back multiple turns. With vir/gen being a thing and I expect to see it at regionals next month, I expect players to see heavy plasma counters with seismetoad as they both pretty much piggy back off of eachother in a tournament.

I tried fire variants, they tend to have a 50/50 matchup against vir/gen depending on consistency, you could play it like sablehaus did during regionals this past year (there would be a lot more options for play), making more of an emphasis for victini to do well early on, cutting out the middle man by being able to take out early virizions shutting down genesects ability to flux and power up (with more options gives the ability to play with easy outs, and in no way is it a good way to play seismetoad unguarded, alternative energy and stadiums that seemed terrible might swing the matchup your way), plus wasting turns to play reshi lowers consistency, victini would just be better overall (your only true bad matchups would be big basics, the seimetoad mirror, and TDK).

skullvarnish

Or, you could just run Charizard EX, who KO's Virizion and Genesect with only 2 Energy attachments, a Muscle Band, and Laser (assuming Garbodor is out and has a Tool). He's not as fragile, and can actually be useful outside of countering VirGen. And running Fire Energies is no big deal since Seismitaod's second attack isn't even worth it. It doesn't work with DCE, so it takes 3 turns to power up that attack. And thus it would also mean you're taking 2 turns to power up Quaking Punch (unless you're doing weird stuff like giving him DCE and 2 Waters), which is bad.

Now of course, powering up the Charizard takes 3 turns, but once you have a couple Seismitoads and a Mewtwo powered up, giving him a few Energies is no big deal, and he ends games, hitting for 150 without Bands or Lasers.

Also, when it comes to the VirGen matchup, it's important to remember that you're more often than not going to be attacking before them. Virizion takes 2 attachments, and Seismitoad takes only 1. You're going to lock them out of items before they can Emerald Slash, and it will wreck their consistency. That doesn't make the matchup not bad, but it's by no means the slaughter people expected.

RafBlast

Aspiring Trainer
RE: Seismitoad EX / Garbodor

I'm currently running this Deck but I'm not sure if I should run Reshiram or Charizard EX. Could someone tell me pros and cons of each of them and which one you would personally run?.