Seismitoad EX Variants

Camoclone

TCG Articles Head
This thread is used for all competitive discussion on any Seismitoad variants. This includes strategies, playstyles, and techs.

You may post decklists here, but only as a means to add to the discussion. If you're looking for advice on your list, post in the Deck Garage.

Articles For Seismitoad EX:

Grant Manley's "Inside a Rogue Mind"

Mees Brenninkmeijer's "Scrambling for a Good Deck: Exceggutor"

Seismitoad / Garbodor Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 8
  • 4 Seismitoad EX
  • 2 Garbodor DRX
  • 2 Trubbish DRX
Trainers: 39
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 4 N
  • 2 Colress
  • 1 Skyla
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 4 Muscle Band
  • 4 Hypnotoxic Laser
  • 4 Crushing Hammer
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 2 Enhanced Hammer
  • 2 Head Ringer
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 1 Computer Search
  • 2 Virbank City Gym
Energy: 4
  • 4 Double Colorless
Open Spots: 7

Strategy:
The goal of this deck is to immensely slow your opponent down with Quaking Punch, Garbotoxin, Crushing Hammer, Head Ringer, and many other annoying cards. They can't play Items, they can't use abilities, their attacks cost more Energy, and their Energy is being discarded. With just Energy and Supporters, some decks may have trouble handling Seismitoad EX. With Muscle Band, Hypnotoxic Laser and Virbank City Gym, Seismitoad EX's little 30 damage attack is doing a decent amount of damage. Seismitoad EX's biggest weakness are Pokemon that accelerate Energy, and decks with a heavy Supporter count (not Items). If your opponent has tons of Energy in play, they can usually overwhelm a Seismitoad EX, and a high Supporter count is sometimes enough to get them that many Energy into play. But most decks won't be able to set up, and crumble to pieces slow and painfully.

Good Additions:
  • Victini EX with or without Victory Piece
  • Charizard EX
  • Mewtwo EX
  • Super Scoop Up
  • Acro Bike or Bicycle
  • Team Flare Grunt
  • Lysandre's Trump Card
  • Water Energy

Seismitoad / Slurpuff Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 10
  • 4 Seismitoad EX
  • 3 Slurpuff PHF
  • 3 Swirlix PHF
Trainers: 41
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 3 N
  • 1 Colress
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 Lysandre's Trump Card
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Hypnotoxic Laser
  • 4 Crushing Hammer
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 2 Enhanced Hammer
  • 2 Head Ringer
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 1 Computer Search
  • 2 Virbank City Gym
  • 4 Double Colorless
Open Spots: 5

Strategy:
The goal of this deck is to immensely slow your opponent down with Quaking Punch, Crushing Hammer, Head Ringer, and many other annoying cards. They can't play Items, they can't use abilities, their attacks cost more Energy, and their Energy is being discarded. Slurpuff allows you to draw these cards much faster, then you can use Lysandre's Trump Card, shuffle them all back in, then draw them super quick with Tasting. With just Energy and Supporters, some decks may have trouble handling the constant barrage of disruption Items. With Muscle Band, Hypnotoxic Laser and Virbank City Gym, Seismitoad EX's little 30 damage attack is doing a decent amount of damage. Seismitoad EX's biggest weakness are Pokemon that accelerate Energy, and decks with a heavy Supporter count (not Items). If your opponent has tons of Energy in play, they can usually overwhelm a Seismitoad EX, and a high Supporter count is sometimes enough to get them that many Energy into play. But most decks won't be able to set up, and crumble to pieces slow and painfully.

Good Additions:
  • Victini EX with or without Victory Piece
  • Mewtwo EX
  • Dragalge FLF
  • Swampert PCL / Archie's Ace in the Hole / Scoop Up Cyclone
  • Super Scoop Up
  • Team Flare Grunt
  • Cassius
  • Water Energy

Seismitoad / Crobat Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 15
  • 4 Seismitoad EX
  • 4 Zubat PLS
  • 4 Golbat PRC
  • 3 Crobat PRC
Trainers: 37
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 4 N
  • 3 Colress
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 AZ
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Muscle Band
  • 4 Hypnotoxic Laser
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Super Scoop Up
  • 1 Computer Search
  • 2 Virbank City Gym
  • 4 Double Colorless
Open Spots: 4

Strategy:
Eliminate your opponent's item usage with Quacking Punch as soon as possible. Use Bats to deal a ton of damage to your opponents field. Target high priority threats with Bats to make them easier to knock out when they become active. The Bat, Hypnotoxic Laser, and Muscle Band damage really adds up.

Good Additions:
  • Mewtwo EX
  • Xerosic
  • Lysandre's Trump Card
  • Repeat Ball

Last edited by a moderator:
Seismitoad EX Potential and Possibilities

Ok with Rising fist to come out soon I am planning on using seismitoed EX but not sure what to pair it with. Garbador is a likely partner but what else do you all think will pair well with seismitoed EX. Seismitoed EX's first attack is goo punch and requires 2 colorless energy to use which makes the pairs almost limitless.

RE: Seismitoed EX potential and possibilities

Garbodor is probably the best partner. Another option to consider is Dragalge/hypnotoxic laser for retreat lock. They won't be able to use switch or escape rope (though Keldeo would still be a option and Virizion could shut the whole strategy down). Also, if you want to use the other attack, Mr Mime could stop the bench damage (130 + 20 from muscle band + 30 from virbank/laser adds up to 180).

RE: Seismitoed EX Potential and Possibilities

Yeah I have thought about using Seismetoads ssecond attack with mr. mime and laserbank. I think it could be a good card. I plan on testing it alot to find the best fit.

I like garbador and I also like the dragalage idea that you posted pokedan.

RE: Seismitoed EX Potential and Possibilities

Seismitoad is going to be a nightmare. The fact it hits for relatively weak is a godsend, but...

4x Seismitoad-EX
2-2 Garbodor

and Laserbank is all they need to scare you. If they run Max Potion (because Toad is a 180HP behemoth) then it'll be a long game. VirGen players will rejoice though. While Virizion's Ability is nice, it's not needed. Energy acceleration while hitting for Weakness? Yes please.

RE: Seismitoad EX Potential and Possibilities

As bad as it sounds, I feel that Tangrowth will be a good tech against Seismetoad. For 1 Grass energy, you do 30 dmg (60 after toads weakness) and prevent retreating. It also has a resistance to Water. So they either force a switch/escape rope or they take a guaranteed KO and considering that even allowing 1 turn of Items can be devastating against Garbotoad, it puts them into a really bad spot.

I think it just makes virizion/genesect/raichu more playable, mewtwo techs against lucario decks will be a problem and take down the seismetoad, if you lose a turn of trainer lock to counter the mewtwo with your own, they will just end up using it to there own advantage. A tech of skarmory to take out your tools from seismetoad, hawlucha with a strong energy and a fighting stadium turn 2 knock out. Imo it seems like an easy deck to counter against.

VirGen screws this deck... maybe Reshiram LTR or Flareon PLF to help?

The thing about Flareon PLF is that the deck runs very few Pokemon cards. To get OHKO's on VirGen, you need to have 5 Pokemon in your discard pile (Assuming you attach a Muscle Band), which is pretty much every single card in your deck. Reshiram might work, but you'll need to damage it somehow to get knockouts, and if the opponent finds the G Booster while you do so, you'll still be screwed. The best VirGen counter here would probably be Ninetales DEX. Heads on Hypnotoxic or tails plus a Muscle Band is a OHKO for one energy, plus you get to bring in the one with energies attached. Shame that he'll rotate...

Imagine Seismitoad EX out front with Dragalge and Victreebel on the bench. You could poison/confuse/block item cards/block retreat. Add 40 damage (or 60 if Virbank is in play). If your opponent didn't run Keldeo, it would be rough.

Once again, Virgen is still an issue. Maybe run a few Pyroar, use Fire Energies and throw in some rainbow/blend energies to activate Victreebel.

optimal_max said:
Imagine Seismitoad EX out front with Dragalge and Victreebel on the bench. You could poison/confuse/block item cards/block retreat. Add 40 damage (or 60 if Virbank is in play). If your opponent didn't run Keldeo, it would be rough.

Once again, Virgen is still an issue. Maybe run a few Pyroar, use Fire Energies and throw in some rainbow/blend energies to activate Victreebel.
That sounds like quite a clunky deck. I don't think it will work that well. Especially because Rainbow and Blend Energy don't work with Victreebel.

I'd think maybe sableye may be good too. Like a 4 Seismatoad, 2 sableye, 2 Yveltal and a 2-2 Garbodor. The yveltal is for energy acceleration when all DCE are gone and for extra damage. Sableye is for getting back lasers and other cards (maybe trick shovel or crushing/enhanced hammer if you want to make it a real lock deck).

Camoclone said:
optimal_max said:

That sounds like quite a clunky deck. I don't think it will work that well. Especially because Rainbow and Blend Energy don't work with Victreebel.

Yeah, I was just thinkin about it. Curious why blend/rainbow wouldn't activate Victreebell's "Wafting Aroma" though.

optimal_max said:
Camoclone said:

Yeah, I was just thinkin about it. Curious why blend/rainbow wouldn't activate Victreebell's "Wafting Aroma" though.
Blend and Rainbow clearly state that they only provide a colorless energy until you attach them to a pokemon.

I was thinking of tinkering around with this guy and Mew EX to make sort of a modern day MewTric....except call it Seis-Mew-Toad....or something

Camoclone said:
optimal_max said:
Blend and Rainbow clearly state that they only provide a colorless energy until you attach them to a pokemon.
That means that you are discarding a Grass Energy when you discard it, because it turned into Grass energy when you attatched it to Victreebell... I think. The cards are kind of ambiguous, because they say they only "provide" the energy when attatched to a Pokemon, but what can that mean? Does it "provide" the energy needed for an Ability then? Too confusing Nintendo, lol.

Elbow said:
I'd think maybe sableye may be good too. Like a 4 Seismatoad, 2 sableye, 2 Yveltal and a 2-2 Garbodor. The yveltal is for energy acceleration when all DCE are gone and for extra damage. Sableye is for getting back lasers and other cards (maybe trick shovel or crushing/enhanced hammer if you want to make it a real lock deck).

I don't think you'll need any late game energy acceleration. If you have a DCE attached to your Seismitoad, you will use the item lock attack. So, unless the opponent plays Team Flare Grunts, the energies will stay on your toads until they die. You will lose before all are gone.

Camoclone said:
optimal_max said:

But, you have to discard the grass energy from Victreebel, not your hand, so they will still work, after all! Thought I doubt we'll ever see Victreebel working well together with Seismitoad EX.

Yup I misread it :p. ~Camoclone

@simsands
Unlike accelegor decks, the DCE isn't recycled into the deck. While yes, 4 DCE is plenty, item lock is useless unless if you can make your opponent miss an attack too. AKA 30 damage from seismatoad is bad unless if you have some add ons.
And in some situations you may need to discard a DCE from an ultra ball for something. It would stuck late game if you needed to do that, so I think more energy then 4 dce will need to be played.

Oh, I'm not saying you only need 4 energy in the deck. I was just saying, if three Seismitoad with DCE attached get knocked out, you lose. There might be a time when you'd need some energies from the discard, but from the playtesting I've done, I'd say that it is too rare to invest in. Perhaps an Energy Recovery for basics, but I've never felt that I needed one.

Anyway, Sableye does seem like a great addon. If he wasn't rotating, I'd probably add one to my deck...

I'm in the process of building this deck. It's going to look something like this:

3 Seismatoad EX
3-3 Garbodor
2-2 Raichu
2 Mewtwo EX
1 Reshiram

11-14 Supporters
2 Float Stone
2-3 Ultra Ball
2-3 Level Ball
2 Virbank
3-4 Laser
1 Muscle Band
1 Silver Bangle
1 Dowsing Machine

4 DCE
4 Rainbow Energy

That's the bare bones version. Basically, Double Colorless Energy.dek. Not much to explain there. Reshiram is here because VirGen is a bad matchup. Raichu is Raichu. Mewtwo EX is here because I feel something that hits hard will be necessary. The Rainbow Energies are there not only because you'd run out or energies otherwise, but to potentially allow your Pokemon to use their other attacks if a situation came up where that would be useful.

I edited this post to coincide with the rules. You may not ask for deck advice here. Please do so in Deck Help. ~Camoclone

Back