Seismitoad EX Variants

RE: Seismitoad EX Potential and Possibilities

simsands said:
The thing about Flareon PLF is that the deck runs very few Pokemon cards. To get OHKO's on VirGen, you need to have 5 Pokemon in your discard pile (Assuming you attach a Muscle Band), which is pretty much every single card in your deck. Reshiram might work, but you'll need to damage it somehow to get knockouts, and if the opponent finds the G Booster while you do so, you'll still be screwed. The best VirGen counter here would probably be Ninetales DEX. Heads on Hypnotoxic or tails plus a Muscle Band is a OHKO for one energy, plus you get to bring in the one with energies attached. Shame that he'll rotate...

Ninetales is not rotating, blister pack promo is keeping it in format.

DCE.dek it is. Seismitoad will most certainly do some damage in this format. The fact that Enhanced Hammer is rotated doesn't even help if you go second to nullify the DCE is even worse.

FearThePegasus said:
simsands said:
The thing about Flareon PLF is that the deck runs very few Pokemon cards. To get OHKO's on VirGen, you need to have 5 Pokemon in your discard pile (Assuming you attach a Muscle Band), which is pretty much every single card in your deck. Reshiram might work, but you'll need to damage it somehow to get knockouts, and if the opponent finds the G Booster while you do so, you'll still be screwed. The best VirGen counter here would probably be Ninetales DEX. Heads on Hypnotoxic or tails plus a Muscle Band is a OHKO for one energy, plus you get to bring in the one with energies attached. Shame that he'll rotate...

Ninetales is not rotating, blister pack promo is keeping it in format.

Nope! :D

Was great news hearing he'll stick around another year, I put him back in my deck and have won a couple games against VirGen thanks to him!

Serperior said:
DCE.dek it is. Seismitoad will most certainly do some damage in this format. The fact that Enhanced Hammer is rotated doesn't even help if you go second to nullify the DCE is even worse.

Enhanced Hammer was a league promo so it is back in format.

SRTspeed said:
Enhanced Hammer was a league promo so it is back in format.

Nope. The league promo was printed with it's set symbol and number from Dark Explorers, as opposed to being printed as a Black Star Promo. Thus, it is still out of format.

That said, it WAS reprinted as an XY-P (Japanese) promo, and is still legal there, so it will most likely be reprinted in a set or two after Furious Fists.

Oh yeah. I got them confused I guess I was thinking that the Japanese reprint was ours too. I'm sure they won't let it rotate out with Plasma still going strong and other people relying on the DCE for a quick acceleration. Yes there is Crushing Hammer but it's a flip, not a sure thing and Team Flare Grunt is a supporter so that kind of sucks.

RE: Seismitoed EX Potential and Possibilities

Serperior said:
Seismitoad is going to be a nightmare. The fact it hits for relatively weak is a godsend, but...

4x Seismitoad-EX
2-2 Garbodor

and Laserbank is all they need to scare you. If they run Max Potion (because Toad is a 180HP behemoth) then it'll be a long game. VirGen players will rejoice though. While Virizion's Ability is nice, it's not needed. Energy acceleration while hitting for Weakness? Yes please.
And to deal with any VirGen decks, consider running a Pyroar line too - it works quite nicely.

So what would be some decent techs to add to a deck that doesn't naturally do well vs this seismitoad garbodor pairing early on? I am thinking Chatot would be the most effective as far as using a small number of cards- could use perhaps 1 chatot paired with 2 megaphones could shut off a garbodor at least. Chatot can't be ohkod by quaking punch and just a muscle band, but things get iffy when virbank + laser is added. And I guess most decks will do fine vs seismitoad garbodor if they can get a couple of turns of freedom to set up something.
I'm hopefully looking for 1-2 item techs to add rather than a huge 4-6 pokemon line or something.

The problem with Item techs is that you're going to be locked out of using Items a lot. Your goal has to be somehow getting rid of Seismitoad EX without being able to use Items or Abilities. Chatot is a very unreliable counter because you have to attack. More than likely what will happen is you'll attack, get rid of Garbodor's Tool, the opponent will go and just attach another.

So are you saying that if your deck doesn't naturally beat seismitoad garbodor you won't be able to find techs for it? I was hoping someone could give a better example than chatot because i already know its not ideal

Pipotchi said:
So what would be some decent techs to add to a deck that doesn't naturally do well vs this seismitoad garbodor pairing early on?
Consider Energy Crush'ing Leafeon as a tech against Seismitoad EX.

I think seismitoad/dragalge/victini/laserbank might be a solid (if not the best) way to run it. I haven't tested it though because I'm more focused on the current format.

Im thinking Seismitoed, garbador, victiny could be a good construct as well.

Believe me when I say that Seismitoad EX + Garbodor is the best way to go. My friend built a Seismitoad EX deck with Garbodor too - the lock this deck provided was unreal. He tactfully managed the beat a Viri-Gen deck with ease. I can't give the decklist exactly because he is doesn't want people to have his list if he does well in our next tournament XD
Anyways, this seems to be the best way to go.

What did your friend do against Vir/Gen if he is willing to let out that info.

Well, I run the deck so I'd like to share my thoughts on the VirGen matchup.

For starters, all of your attack cost only a single energy attachment, while theirs are going to take 2-3 (yes, Virizion is a thing, but you have to attach 2 to it in the first place). So, you're most likely going to be attacking first. And once you've used Quaking Fist, you're reasonably far ahead of the opponent. They can no longer use items to get to combo pieces, so they're moving even slower at that point. You'll most likely lose that first Seismitoad, but by then you've gotten another one set up, a Fire attacker set up, and your opponent has been locked out of items for a couple of turns.

It's also important that Emerald Slash will not knock out Seismitoad in a single hit. This makes it even rougher on them as you get to lock them out of items, set up a bunch of stuff, and then sweep in for the Revenge KO. And unless the Genesect has a G Booster, it's most likely not going to be able to Revenge your Fire Attacker, meaning you can grab another KO. Watch out for Beartic, though.

That's just some of my thoughts. Everyone talks about how VirGen just destroys this deck, but I think it's closer to even since Seismitoad is most likely going to be set up faster, and at that point you're locking them out of items, putting them further behind. You'll go behind in Prizes, but should be able to grab a bunch of Prizes in return because you were able to get a much better setup going.

I know seismitoed slows Vir/Gen down but what fire attacker do you think would be best. I think Victiny EX would be good or posibly Pyroar. Delphox could also be a good attacker in this case but would take a while to set up.

I'm still testing to see which Fire attacker is best. All of them have been fairly underwhelming.

I don't like Victini because Genesect with a muscle band one shots it. I don't like anything that you need to Evolve into because it makes an already somewhat clunky deck even clunkier. I don't like Reshiram because it has to take damage to be able to knock out Virizion or Genesect in one shot (unless you want to attach 2 Fire Energies to it, only to end up discarding them, forcing you to power it up again). I don't like most of The EX Fire Pokemon because their attacks either don't do enough damage or require multiple Fire Energies.

So right now I just said whatever and put in the good Charizard EX. For DCE and some other energy, he does 60. With Muscle Band and Laser you do 170. And he's pretty beefy too.

Back