Rare Lot of 1st Edition 'Base Set' Boxes Hits eBay [2/26]

Plasma Dragon

Until the end of time
Who has that kind of money to spend on cards???? You could like make every 1st-3rd tier Pokemon deck and then some with that kind of money!

Skulblaka_Shur'tugal

Zippy Says Hi!
This listing has been popping off and on eBay for months. I don't see how this is news, but the Johto Starters now available from Pokemon Bank isn't.

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
If you had the money, you wouldn't want these xD
Anyways...119 000$ for a booster box...Base Set or not, 1st edition or not...it can't be worth THAT much. I mean, you could buy ~58 plane tickets with that >.>

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
Touche at the end with the jab at college degrees WPM; got a chuckle out of me.

When I see the tag of nearly $120,000 all I can think is the quote (from Publilius Syrus): "Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it."

That's just way too steep a price tag for me to even consider getting within earshot...

PokePhD

PokéBeach Verified Seller
Perhaps not worth $119,000 (hence the make offer option), but whoever purchases this lot will own a significant percentage of the remaining 1st ed Base boxes.

signofzeta

Aspiring Trainer
Question is, booster box or booster case?

No. Wait. A case and 3 boxes.

$13222.22 per box eh?

Obviously someone is trying to rip people off, or maybe a person who buys this will get ripped off.

This is the difference between MTG collectors and Pokemon collectors. MTG collectors buy single cards until they complete their playsets. Pokemon collectors buy booster boxes until they complete their playsets.

ShadowMoses05

Aspiring Trainer
signofzeta said:
This is the difference between MTG collectors and Pokemon collectors. MTG collectors buy single cards until they complete their playsets. Pokemon collectors buy booster boxes until they complete their playsets.

First of all what does that have to do with the topic in question? You went from making a good point about the price of the boxes to a really stupid one about collectors.

Secondly a lot of MtG collectors also buy one or two boxes and then buy singles of the ones theyre missing, which is exactly what most Pokemon collectors also do.

If we're going to make generalizing statements about a whole community I would say that MtG players/collectors are very condescending to people that enjoy other forms of TCGs

Frosty

Bleh.
ShadowMoses05 said:
signofzeta said:

First of all what does that have to do with the topic in question? You went from making a good point about the price of the boxes to a really stupid one about collectors.

Secondly a lot of MtG collectors also buy one or two boxes and then buy singles of the ones theyre missing, which is exactly what most Pokemon collectors also do.

If we're going to make generalizing statements about a whole community I would say that MtG players/collectors are very condescending to people that enjoy other forms of TCGs

HEY! I play and collect MTG too, and other mtg players know I collect pokemon and they think it's really cool :(
Ouch...

As for purchases I usually buy one box of a set and try to trade/buy what I'm missing. So yeaaah...

signofzeta

Aspiring Trainer
ShadowMoses05 said:
signofzeta said:

I based my generalizations on what pokemon fans and MTG fans suggest newer players do to get a playset of a certain card.

Maybe it isn't sufficient data, but based on sites like Pokebeach, Pokegym, and MTGSalvation, when someone asks how to get a certain card, MTG players would tell that person to buy the single card. On the other hand, Pokemon players tell this person to buy a booster box, which led me to conclude that in general, Magic players tend to buy singles, while Pokemon players like to buy a booster box.

MTG players would say buying booster boxes to get one certain rare card is dumb, but I haven't read anywhere that Pokemon saying to buy the single card is dumb, it is just that they don't say it, and they just suggest that buying a booster box to get one card is the way to go.

Oh, and for the record I also collect MTG, Pokemon, and Yugioh, and I base my generalizations on observations I have observed in their fan sites. I do not have any data on Yugioh because I don't really hang out in Yugioh fan forums as much.

I am also in no way condescending. Is it so wrong to be ripped off? I am a precon collector, and I have bought tons of MTG intro packs, while MTG fans say that intro packs are the worst investment ever.

If someone wants to buy this, then good for them. All I am saying that something like this would work for Pokemon than MTG, because MTG players won't be as likely to buy booster boxes, much less in bulk.

Wait, nevermind, you were referring to MTG players in general, and since I also collect MTG, it seems you are referring to me, but it is sort of true. MTG fans would go, "buying boxes is stupid", "buying precons is stupid", "only use boosters to draft", or "don't touch fat packs". It isn't that they think outsiders are dumb, it is just that they don't want these outsiders looking to get MTG cards to overspend, or get ripped off. MTG fans are very value conscious.

I do question though, is buying a box more worth it? MTG players generally say no, and would rather complete the set by buying singles.

Ok, I got it wrong. I might have said something along the lines of completing the set, but thinking about it again, it makes sense to buy maybe one box to get started on finishing collecting a set. What MTG players really say that buying a box is a bad idea is trying to build a deck, but at the same time, I did see posts in Pokebeach and Pokegym suggesting to players to buy a booster box just to get that one EX card, which led me to believe that Pokemon players generally believe in the "buy booster boxes until you get what you want" strategy.

Frosty

Bleh.
PsychedelicBreakfast said:
Frosty said:
I'm trying to get a good look at the boxes

are they shadowless?

As far as I know, all 1st edition English Base set cards are shadowless.

make sense, however 120K for 9, that's around 13,500 a box, Even though they are rare I can't justify spending 13K on a single box of cards,
I'm sure each box is around 600-1K max!