Pokemon Pokémon Theories & Speculation

Rayquazaking

I like to battle my pets to the death! How Fun!
RE: Pokémon Theories

Xous said:
Most of the theories I've seen have already been posted, so I'll share something that I've been thinking over since Diamond / Pearl.

When the player picks up a Plate in the games, each Plate has a message written on the back. One of these messages is "The power of defeated giants infuses this Plate." Nothing I've seen in the games / movies / anything even hints at what "giants" they're referring to, or why they had to be defeated for their powers to infuse the Plates. Why would these Plates, which can be used to power up any Pokémon's moves of a certain Type (and of course change Arceus's Type entirely), exist with the power of defeated giants within them? Were these giants God-like Pokémon that ruled over each Type?

To make matters more confusing, another message from a Plate (and Arceus's Dex entries) states "The Original One breathed alone before the universe came." If Arceus truly existed alone before even the universe, did it not originally have the ability to use the Plates? Did it at some point have to defeat these "giants" to obtain the power of using the Plates, or did some kind of ancient civilization defeat the giants to create the Plates for Arceus? Were the Plates always within Arceus's control, but possibly weaker (and defeating the giants strengthened them)?

It's a tiny detail that has had next to zero clarification officially (that I know of), so it's entirely possible these "giants" will be future Legendary Pokémon for future games.

I think the giants it was refering to are Palkia, Dialga and Giratina, because they are Sinnoh's trio, and Arceus is the trio master. Since Arceus was the only thing before the universe, he created Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina. that solves your problems.

Macncheeze210

Derping Pikachu

Rayquazaking said:
I think the giants it was refering to are Palkia, Dialga and Giratina, because they are Sinnoh's trio, and Arceus is the trio master. Since Arceus was the only thing before the universe, he created Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina. that solves your problems.

Not exactly... I like the theory, but the giants its talking about could maybe after being defeated infused themselves inside the plates.... or maybe they became like spirits that live in arceus's realm..... you never know... but what about the type gems in B/W and B2/W2?
the mystery continues

Growlithe

Aspiring Trainer

Something that supports the whole "Gengar is Clefable's ghost/shadow". That I did a little research and found online.

Genganger is a Danish word that translates to revenant in English. To be revenant is to be a person who has returned from the dead, meaning Gengar could be a Clefable that has "returned from the dead".. Gengar..Genganger..Yeah.

Bazinga001

None

Can someone explain to me why signs in the games actually say to press a certain button? I mean, in real life the trainer would probably start yelling "What B Button?!", or something like that.

Naked Snake

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Bazinga001 said:
Can someone explain to me why signs in the games actually say to press a certain button? I mean, in real life the trainer would probably start yelling "What B Button?!", or something like that.

It's a gameplay limitation. I can't think of any way to explain it to make logic sense in the Pokemon world, man.

blargh257

IT'S BEEN THREE THOUSAND YEARS

Bazinga001 said:

I think in real life it would say, "Clap to startle your Pokemon out of evolution," or something along those lines.
The Bag in my opinion is more like the B.A.G. meaning that it is a piece of technology and has buttons. That is the only way i can make sense of that.

Froakie

Unova Champion

Nigel said:
Ditto = Failed Mew:
- Mew and Ditto both weigh 8.8 lbs.
- They have the same sprite color scheme, with the same shinies.
- They both can learn every move, though in Ditto's case for a certain period.
- They both learn Transform.
- Many Ditto can be found in Cinnabar Mansion where many experiments took place between Mew and Mewtwo.

Rival's Raticate Died:
In the original Pokemon Red/Blue versions when you encounter your rival in Lavender Town, he asks whether you know or not what it feels like to have one of your Pokemon die. At this point in the game, he no longer has his Raticate he used in previous battles. Your past battle took place on the S.S. Anne, and because of all the people/confusion there, your rival was unable to make it in time to a Pokemon Center in time so Raticate died.

Shadow Triad= Chili, Cilan, and Cress:
- You go to meet one of the three waiters/gym leaders (it depends on which starter you chose) in the Academy... somehow he gets past you without you even knowing. Ninja Skills.
- One of the few cities not attacked by Team Plasma is their city. (Unless you count the Dreamyard/Abandoned Lot of Dreams as part of it)
- Team Plasma are never shown at the same time as the waiters. (and vise versa)
- They are the only gym leaders who do no show up towards the end when the gym leaders battle Team Plasma.
- Two of the the waiters/gym leaders don't talk about the incident, and one of them just gives you one short answer.
Cilan, Chili and Cress have been proving not to be the Shadow Traid as in Black 2/White 2 if you do the Unova Link with the original Black/White you can see a flashback where the Striaton Gym Leaders battle the Shadow Traid as well as see why they aren't Gym Leaders in Black 2/White 2 to.

safariblade

Video Gamer
Advanced Member

Flygon2071 said:
Gastly --- Haunter --- Gengar
Cleffa --- Clefairy --- Clefable

The biggest reason for not thinking that gengar is clefable's shadow, is beacuse what would happen to haunter and gastly? Would gastly be cleffa's shadow? Would haunter be clefairy's shadow?

Plus Cleffa didn't even exist when the other 5 were created. (As far as we know)

Pokequaza

Aspiring Trainer

safariblade said:
Flygon2071 said:
Gastly --- Haunter --- Gengar
Cleffa --- Clefairy --- Clefable

The biggest reason for not thinking that gengar is clefable's shadow, is beacuse what would happen to haunter and gastly? Would gastly be cleffa's shadow? Would haunter be clefairy's shadow?

Plus Cleffa didn't even exist when the other 5 were created. (As far as we know)

If this is theory is true, then you probably shouldn't look at their pre-evolutions. We know that Pokémon started off with Ken Sugimori doodling around to come up with Pokémon. Pokémon were created, and evolutions and pre-evolutions were added later on. I'm sure you have heard about the 'Butterfree - Venomoth swap' (a decent theory that actually stands his ground in my opinion), even beta-art of a blaziken-latias has been released, all showing that some origins have actually a deeper meaning behind them, which is most often not, if not never, refered to in-game.

To get to the point; It could be plausible that once in an early developing stage, Ken Sugimori came up with a concept of a living Pokémon (Clefable), and its shadow (Gengar); that idea could've been turned down for some reason, however, both Pokémon were kept, and given their own evolution line.

And if there is any truth to this story, it would probably have been Clefairy instead of Clefable; As Clefairy's index number is 004, and Gengar's number is 014, you can see that both were created very early, close after each other. Whereas Clefable is the 142nd Pokémon by index number (Haunter is number 147, another indication that this Pokémon as well was added much later during the development of the game).

Bogleech

Aspiring Trainer
Actually, Gengar's theme is that it can mimic the shadow of ANYTHING, so, really, the fact that its original artwork and sprites were Clefairy-shaped was possibly just a subtle demonstration of that ability. It made sense to use Clefairy as the primary example since it was originally planned as the series mascot. The look wound up sticking when really Gengar should come in all sorts of different shapes.

Anyway, on the subject of theories and speculation, I always theorized that Pokemon were biological, alien weapons and Cracked has accepted this as a mini-article (some language)

The editors made some mistakes ("thousands of species of tentacool") but everything more accurate is mine, and they preserved most of my jokes. It's just for fun, not a really serious theory, but I kept it within the realm of canon plausibility.

PsychedelicBreakfast

We can live beside the ocean leave the fire behind
Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but does anyone think Sigilyph is related to Unown somehow? Its head is kind of reminiscent of Unown I, and it's hand/arm things are kind of like Unown E, without the eyeball (though it does have two "eyeballs" on its body). Wonder if in Gen 6 GF is going to say Sigilyph created Unown.

s2daam

I Just Can't Be Tamed
Bazinga001 said:
Ok this is mainly related to the anime, but what if Giovanni is Ash's father. It would be absolutely crazy (Maybe a bit lame) but think about it: We've never seen Ash's father. He could be anyone. Plus, in the commentary for the 3rd movie, this was briefly brought up as a possibility.

A little too Star Wars and overall an overdone and often theorised point. It's too much of an easy plot twist, plus it should/would have been done a long time ago if it was to happen.

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
PsychedelicBreakfast said:
Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but does anyone think Sigilyph is related to Unown somehow? Its head is kind of reminiscent of Unown I, and it's hand/arm things are kind of like Unown E, without the eyeball (though it does have two "eyeballs" on its body). Wonder if in Gen 6 GF is going to say Sigilyph created Unown.

Also, in Rumble Blast, when battling Dark Rust, it will call up Unown and Sigilyph to battle you as well.

Spammy

8^)
So...

Speculation:

What tree will the Professor of X and Y be named after?

A french tree, perhaps?

Or will they ignore the tree tradition and name him/her after cheese/wine?

kbfnightrider

Aspiring Trainer
wouldnt it be crazy if gengar hauntar and ghastly were the ghosts of pokemon that can use self destruct in the original 151 (minus their other evolutionary forms)

ghastly - voltorb or koffing
hauntar - geodude
gengar - clefable (through metronome)<- only pokemon besides mew that can use it without TM in original 151

Just a thought