Pokemon Pokémon Theories & Speculation

Bushy

Next Gen Professor
A thread for theories sounds like a wonderful idea. =D

----------------------------------------

According to the PokéDex entry for Caterpie in Pokémon Stadium:
“It has large, eye-like patterns on its head as protection. They are used to frighten off enemies.”
From Bulbapedia: “Its most notable characteristic is the bright red antennae (osmeterium) on its head. These and the large eye-shaped markings help to startle predators.”

If I'm interpreting that part correctly (“…large, eye-like patterns on its head…”), then I'm to assume that Caterpie either doesn't have eyes OR is hiding it's “true eyes” for whatever reason.

tumblr_lw92l29LJM1ql2elk.jpg

Generation 1 artwork depicting “soulless eye-patterns” with no “white pupils”

OR that his “true eyes” are the white pupils sometimes added to various forms of its artwork/sprites/models. Which makes sense, when in the anime the patterns on its head are depicted as “true eyes,” as they have been shown blinking and performing other various anime-esque shenanigans. I'm guessing this idea makes it easier for younger viewers to grasp.

tumblr_lw925nOMRJ1ql2elk.jpg

Screenshot #1 from the anime depicting the “white pupils”

tumblr_lw92bybWc71ql2elk.jpg

Screenshot #2 from the anime depicting the “white pupils” blinking

tumblr_lw92chxNOy1ql2elk.png

Screenshot #3 of the anime depicting “anime angry eyes” with its eye patterns while using its String Shot attack

I may or may not pursue this information further as it's most likely just a flaw in the artwork itself, but it's definitely something that caught my attention/blew my mind. =O

RE: Pokémon Theories

Inb4 big war, Ash is in a coma, and Gengar is a ghost Clefable.

Cinesra said:
Inb4 big war, Ash is in a coma, and Gengar is a ghost Clefable.

Right after Pikachu gets hit by the thunder bolt in Ep. 1. Also, yea, Gengar is a Clefable ghost (look at them)

Also, Duskinoir is really a Soul Reaper =3
And that Kabutops & Genesect are related (in term of Darwinian evolution)

Oh yeah, I forgot about that whole "Ash Coma" thing. XD;

I was hoping to touch upon and potentially discuss the more recent or less known theories and discoveries. =O

Here's another one:

I believe I may have discovered either some kind of inside joke among the staff at Game Freak or a sort of Easter egg for those in the know. It has to do with the history of the Pokémon Rhydon and the Ruins of Alph located in the Johto region.

To start off, here’s a little history lesson.
Before Pokémon, there was “Capsule Monsters,” which was Satoshi Tajiri’s early design concept of Pokémon, first proposed to Nintendo as early as 1990. Inspired by gashapon figures (think gumball machine, but with small toys), Tajiri had a difficult time attaining a trademark for Capsule Monsters, so he changed the name of his idea to “CapuMon,” and eventually “Pocket Monsters” as we know it today.

tumblr_m2htdvncbf1ql2elk.jpg

The cover of the proposal

After Pocket Monsters started going into development, Tajiri—along with longtime Game Freak artist Ken Sugimori—created their first Pocket Monster: Rhydon.
Rhydon was even around back in the Capsule Monster days, as depicted in this collage:
tumblr_m2htfk2tEk1ql2elk.jpg

This is further supported as its index number is 001 in the coding for Generation I, which could also explain as to why Rhydon—being a Rock/Ground-type—could learn the move Surf and eventually the moves Rain Dance, Whirlpool, and Aqua Tail; the creators were testing out the HM for Surf by using Rhydon as their subject.

In the Johto region, there are ruins located to the south of Violet City called the Ruins of Alph, as depicted below:
tumblr_m2hvl2TBfC1ql2elk.png

It is the home of the widely-varied but ultimately useless Pokémon by the name of Unown, who represent all 26 letters of the English alphabet as well as both the question mark and exclamation point, shown below:
tumblr_m2hv8oqygD1ql2elk.jpg

After completing a sliding panel puzzle in one of the rooms, the floor drops out from underneath you and you end up in the actual ruins where you can find these Pokemon. What’s interesting, though, is not the Pokémon you can catch, but the Pokémon on display.

Specifically, in these two screenshots here:
tumblr_m2hvuoRIWK1ql2elk.png

tumblr_m2hvv3lP2B1ql2elk.png

In Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal, the sprite for the statue depicted in the first image is of one of the generalized “overworld sprites” for various Pokémon, including Rhydon.
tumblr_m2hwmvr2Ce1ql2elk.gif

In the second screenshot from Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver, it shows the same area, but the statues are clearly modeled after the Pokémon Rhydon.
tumblr_m2hwttQKdx1ql2elk.jpg

In both games, when the statues are checked, it reads: “It’s a replica of an ancient Pokémon.”

In conclusion, I believe that there may be a connection between the fact that Rhydon is considered an “ancient Pokémon” and that Rhydon was the first Pokémon ever conceived. These statues may be a form of physical representation of those facts.

Blui129 said:
And that Kabutops & Genesect are related (in term of Darwinian evolution)
...and by that logic you'd tell me that Aerodactyl and Zubat are genetically related because their wings look similar. Yeah, no.
Besides, their typings--yes, I know the only reason Genesect is part Steel is because of physical modifications--are nothing alike.
Kabutops is based off of the horseshoe crab.
Genesect is based off giant insects in the Paleozoic era.
Though they existed around the same time period (presumably), I'm pretty sure crabs aren't insects.
They're nothing alike.

WELL....

Ash is really a lone drug dealer who slipped into a coma after a run in with the police, which continue to haunt him after so many years. This represents Team Rocket, who attempted to takes Ash's most prized possesion ( Pikachu ) for it seems forever. During thus time he felt failure.They keep chasing him, his factor of him having no childhood meaning he must create an imaginary world with friends, fueled by his bad memories of the past life. His alchoholic dad and no caring mother led him into this bad life, this eventually got him into drugs getting him eventually shot and put into a coma, Ash does not age in his dreams, as time is often streched during these times. Ash is simply dreaming up different situations based on his personality. Gengar and Dusknoir are his demons, attempting to wake him up in a disguised way, saying his spirit is lost.

Pikachu is a rat that lives in his hospitol bed that lies on his shoulder. His electricity is his fur rubbing against the bed.

POKEMON GOTTA CATCH EM' ALL POKEMON

I've always wondered why a random pokemon like rydon was in the ruins of alph, it made me think that something might happen if you brought one there...

Some people have too much time on their hands.
...and by that logic you'd tell me that Aerodactyl and Zubat are genetically related because their wings look similar. Yeah, no.
Besides, their typings--yes, I know the only reason Genesect is part Steel is because of physical modifications--are nothing alike.
Kabutops is based off of the horseshoe crab.
Genesect is based off giant insects in the Paleozoic era.
Though they existed around the same time period (presumably), I'm pretty sure crabs aren't insects.
They're nothing alike.
I agree with this. Just because they look somewhat similar doesn't mean they are related in the pokemon world. If it did, Scyther would totally be related to Kabutops IMO.
But, that's the same logic that makes Gengar a Clefable: Relation because similar shapes/ physical attributes.
Also, yea, Gengar is a Clefable ghost (look at them)
So if Genesect and Scyther can't be related to Kabutops, Gengar can't be related to Clefable.
It could be argued that Genesect and Kabutops aren't related because, as you stated don(), they are based off of different ideas. Even in that case, by that logic (relation by history/idea, for lack of better words), Clefable and Gengar are not related.

InB4 TL,DR:
You can't believe Clefable is related to Gengar AND believe Genesect isn't related to Kabutops if you believe Gengar and Clefable are related because of shape/form. You also can't believe Clefable is related to Gengar AND believe Genesect isn't related to Kabutops if you believe Kabutops isn't related to Genesect because of back story. Unless your being illogical...

discord_dance_by_deomew-d4acntm.gif

Eon said:
InB4 TL,DR:
You can't believe Clefable is related to Gengar AND believe Genesect isn't related to Kabutops for the reasons stated above. Unless your being illogical...

#1 What does TL,DR: Mean??

Also guys... Make Kobutops shiny, and look at the way that they stand through there sprites. I think Kobutops was one of those fossils that slowly evolved turning itself into Scyther. This would actually make a lot more sense then them just appearing.

I mean maybe physical appearance like Aerodactyl and Zubat is illogical, but think, when something has a large amount of the same things in common, you can't make that argument.

TL, DR means Too Long, Didn't Read.
Do you mean that if two pokemon have enough things in common then you can't say they ARE NOT related?
You need to explain your point more.

I'm saying something much larger than just wings in common... Color, and so forth, physical attributes that no other Pokemon share but those two. I also completely disagree with Clefable, and Gengar... That's a massive lie...

Martini said:
I'm saying something much larger than just wings in common... Color, and so forth, physical attributes that no other Pokemon share but those two. I also completely disagree with Clefable, and Gengar... That's a massive lie...

Indeed. If anything, I would say that Kabutops and Genosect are related in any way by the time period they both supposedly could've existed in. Same thing with Clefable and Gengar, though more so on appearance. Which is why I said these were "theories" as opposed to something like "factoids." It's mostly speculation based on what little information we have. xD

Martini said:
I think Kobutops was one of those fossils that slowly evolved turning itself into Scyther.

I'm... not so sure the standard theory of gradual drawn-out evolution applies in a series where creatures are literally evolving into drastically different forms every five minutes.

I don't know, I don't really believe you can say that certain pokemon are related if enough physical attributes are shared between them, mainly because their is no real method of determining if they have enough. It's pretty much only opinion. Although, I think we're all aware of that.

Ditto = Failed Mew:
- Mew and Ditto both weigh 8.8 lbs.
- They have the same sprite color scheme, with the same shinies.
- They both can learn every move, though in Ditto's case for a certain period.
- They both learn Transform.
- Many Ditto can be found in Cinnabar Mansion where many experiments took place between Mew and Mewtwo.

Rival's Raticate Died:
In the original Pokemon Red/Blue versions when you encounter your rival in Lavender Town, he asks whether you know or not what it feels like to have one of your Pokemon die. At this point in the game, he no longer has his Raticate he used in previous battles. Your past battle took place on the S.S. Anne, and because of all the people/confusion there, your rival was unable to make it in time to a Pokemon Center in time so Raticate died.

Shadow Triad= Chili, Cilan, and Cress:
- You go to meet one of the three waiters/gym leaders (it depends on which starter you chose) in the Academy... somehow he gets past you without you even knowing. Ninja Skills.
- One of the few cities not attacked by Team Plasma is their city. (Unless you count the Dreamyard/Abandoned Lot of Dreams as part of it)
- Team Plasma are never shown at the same time as the waiters. (and vise versa)
- They are the only gym leaders who do no show up towards the end when the gym leaders battle Team Plasma.
- Two of the the waiters/gym leaders don't talk about the incident, and one of them just gives you one short answer.

don()shinobi said:
I'm pretty sure crabs aren't insects.
They're nothing alike.
orly?
180px-557Dwebble.png

i know that bug type doesnt mean its an insect, but it does show gamefreak makes that connection

Nigel said:
Ditto = Failed Mew:
- Many Ditto can be found in Cinnabar Mansion where many experiments took place between Mew and Mewtwo.

To expand upon that, Both Mew and Ditto have their stats the same across the board, and Ditto's stats are almost half of Mew's. Also, Ditto can be found in Cerulean Cave, and can be found more frequently as you travel near Mewtwo. Also, Mew is said to have the DNA of every Pokemon, and Ditto can breed with every single Pokemon except for Legendaries and unbreedable Pokemon.​

Nigel said:
Ditto = Failed Mew:

Rival's Raticate Died:
In the original Pokemon Red/Blue versions when you encounter your rival in Lavender Town, he asks whether you know or not what it feels like to have one of your Pokemon die. At this point in the game, he no longer has his Raticate he used in previous battles. Your past battle took place on the S.S. Anne, and because of all the people/confusion there, your rival was unable to make it in time to a Pokemon Center in time so Raticate died.

- You go to meet one of the three waiters/gym leaders (it depends on which starter you chose) in the Academy... somehow he gets past you without you even knowing. Ninja Skills.
- One of the few cities not attacked by Team Plasma is their city. (Unless you count the Dreamyard/Abandoned Lot of Dreams as part of it)
- They are the only gym leaders who do no show up towards the end when the gym leaders battle Team Plasma.
- Two of the the waiters/gym leaders don't talk about the incident, and one of them just gives you one short answer.

First two are true, second is currently a rumor.

1300980833912jifw.png

Nigel said:

Oh wow, that never even occurred to me! How very fascinating. =O

The Fire Wyrm said:

I love this image~ Even if there are some silly things mixed in with the more serious. xD

Back