XY Pokémon Playthrough Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Pokémon X / Y : Playthrough Questions & Answers

You can use it in any Boutique, by selecting the "Redeem Coupon" option or something.

I'm not sure if this question has been answered or not but to be able to find a shiny in the friend safari, must all three pokemon be unlocked or can I encounter a shiny without being online with the other person once?

You shouldn't need to have all 3 Pokémon unlocked in order to find shiny Pokémon in the Friend Safaris.

Athena said:
You shouldn't need to have all 3 Pokémon unlocked in order to find shiny Pokémon in the Friend Safaris.

Cool thanks. So far it has been two hours and no shiny :( oh well

nebatis said:
Cool thanks. So far it has been two hours and no shiny :( oh well

Just remember, shiny Pokémon are completely random. They can be found anywhere, anytime. You can hunt for two minutes before finding a shiny, or you could hunt three months before finding one.
I'd recommend keeping a Pokémon with the 'Illuminate' ability in your party if your looking for shinies in the friend safari. The ability increases the chances of wild encounters. If it helps, I found two shinies last week in the friend safari, and the first Pokémon in my party was a Starmie with Illuminate. So it wouldn't hurt to keep one by your side.
Happy hunting. :)

Hey, so I heard that if I breed one of my own Pokemon with a foreign Pokemon (rather than one of my language and one of a different one) that the shiny hatching rate will be slightly increased. Is that different for starters? As I've hatched over apparently 792 Snivy eggs and yet to find a Snivy. Also, in case you couldn't tell...
I like colors. Lol.

Chocolate Death said:
Hey, so I heard that if I breed one of my own Pokemon with a foreign Pokemon (rather than one of my language and one of a different one) that the shiny hatching rate will be slightly increased. Is that different for starters? As I've hatched over apparently 792 Snivy eggs and yet to find a Snivy. Also, in case you couldn't tell...
I like colors. Lol.

No, it's the same for all breedable Pokémon. A better chance is still just a chance and everything is decided by the RNG. You might get your shiny in 5 eggs or 5000.

Athena said:

I can confirm this. Although I had extremely good luck with 3 Pokemon Safari at first my luck dwindled after 5 or 6 shinies. I thought unrevealed safaris had bad luck but nah it's the same. I managed to find 3 shiny Oddish in less than 2 hours while playing Tales of Xillia (hunted during cutscenes)

Also found a shiny Metang and Shelgon in empty 3rd slot safaris. My luck has run out though haven't found a shiny in weeks!

Also terribly sorry about the Snivy sadly odds can stack against you but just keep at it's like 1 in 683 or 800 or something. I know it's less than 1/1366 which was Gen V MM odds.

I've now hatched apparently 998 eggs exactly now. I've only been hatching Snivy eggs besides one egg for each of the starters. Are you sure it's not lowered? I mean, my cousin never had to go over 125 eggs to get a shiny, and he doesn't even do the breeding properly. I mean, isn't it one foreign and one of your own?

Again, someone falling for the fallacy that they are guaranteed a shiny within a set number of eggs. That would imply shiny odds increased for each egg you hatched. On the contrary, the same chance applies to ALL eggs received under the same circumstances, so your 4000th egg is just as likely to be shiny as your first egg, which is just as likely as your 734th egg, etc.

Also note that once you pick up an egg from the daycare, everything about the egg is set except the OT, which can only be changed by someone else haching your egg for you
which negates any benefit to using the Masuda method. MMing uses "re-rolls" or additional recalculations of the hidden PID to give you more chances at getting a shiny, by trading the egg, you throw these extra chances to the wind and the chance of it being shiny for the other person is statistically (slightly) less than the nomal shiny rate, considering the slight chance it would be shiny for you, thus 99.999% likely not for them

Is there any tips to finding shinies in Friend Safaris? I've battled hundreds of Audino/Chansey and caught all the Pokemon possible in all the other Friend Safaris I have yet I've never found one shiny. Do I need to use some special Pokemon/ability/something?

Amphy23 said:
Is there any tips to finding shinies in Friend Safaris? I've battled hundreds of Audino/Chansey and caught all the Pokemon possible in all the other Friend Safaris I have yet I've never found one shiny. Do I need to use some special Pokemon/ability/something?

Nope. All my FS shinies are pure luck. I've caught 3 shinies now from it, Charmeleon, Munna, and Golurk.

Simple tip: Use a Pokemon with abilitie Illuminat (Laturn, Staryu, Illumise, Volbeat) have it for so far as I know. In FS, just hunt for 15 minute on your bike. On that way I getted more than 5 Shiny`s :)

I got trolled by the shiny that I found. It was a Combee from FS, but it was male.

Hey, that happened to me and I put it up on GTS. Some fool gave me his Aggron for it, so just put it up there and you may be able to get the attention of one of those "MUST GET ALL SHINIES" attitudes.

ShinyVincent said:
Simple tip: Use a Pokemon with abilitie Illuminat (Laturn, Staryu, Illumise, Volbeat) have it for so far as I know. In FS, just hunt for 15 minute on your bike. On that way I getted more than 5 Shiny`s :)

All "illuminate" does is increase the chances of finding pokemon. With a illuminate pokemon (I didn't math) and Encounter o power 3 I'm guessing the chance of finding a pokemon in every square if grass is highly likely therefore increasing the shiny chance :)

Yea in the friend safari on a bike it takes like less than 5 seconds for an encounter so Illuminate probably only shaves off 3 seconds or so. I prefer saving that spot for Cute Charm or Synchronize. That's just my personal opinion though!

However Illuminate helps in areas you can't skate or bike in and surfing. You can rack up encounters for specific shinies like Carbink or Goomy using the repel trick, a level 31 Lanturn or Watchog with Illuminate and it saves you much more time.

Also a fun fact: Did you know that Chansey's in the Friend Safari will sometimes use Bestow to give their held item? I was trying to steal one and forgot to put Covet or Thief and decided to faint it for some exp but all of sudden she used Bestow and gave me a lucky egg! ...I ended up letting that Chansey live.

MrSquarepants said:
However Illuminate helps in areas you can't skate or bike in and surfing. You can rack up encounters for specific shinies like Carbink or Goomy using the repel trick, a level 31 Lanturn or Watchog with Illuminate and it saves you much more time.

As someone who may, someday, be bored enough to look for Goomy shinies.... would you mind sharing what the repel trick is?

Athena said:
MrSquarepants said:

As someone who may, someday, be bored enough to look for Goomy shinies.... would you mind sharing what the repel trick is?

...It would probably be less time consuming to look for a shiny Sligoo in FS. :p

Athena said:
MrSquarepants said:

Well, the way I found a shiny Goomy, is looking for rare horde Pokémon. (Ekans)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back