NFL Discussion Topic - Favorite Teams and How They are Doing

evilpacman said:
I think they only really lucked out against the Bronco's and they played very well against them offensively.

Wasn't talking about the playoffs solely. They stumbled into the playoffs, that's all I was trying to say.

MountainDrew said:
The ravens were just plain dominant in the playoffs and they beat some really good teams

You could say that about almost any team that wins the Super Bowl though...

dmaster out.

dmaster said:
evilpacman said:
I think they only really lucked out against the Bronco's and they played very well against them offensively.

Wasn't talking about the playoffs solely. They stumbled into the playoffs, that's all I was trying to say.

MountainDrew said:
The ravens were just plain dominant in the playoffs and they beat some really good teams

You could say that about almost any team that wins the Super Bowl though...

dmaster out.

I would agree with the stumbling part. I have a friend that was constainly complaining about how the Ravens dont deserve to win half the games they won, even though he is a huge fan. I think he was concerned that they would have a good record based on poor luck in the regular season and then fall flat on their face in the playoffs. Talk about embarrassing (I'm looking at you Packers).

evilpacman said:

I think it had more to do with Peyton's performance. He showed a lot of rust as that was his first playoff performance since his loss in Super Bowl XLIV.

I'm hoping that RGIII's leg heals well and he has a restful recovery. If anything, Shanahan should of saw we couldn't win and put in Kirk Cousins to end it.

Suitcune said:
I'm hoping that RGIII's leg heals well and he has a restful recovery. If anything, Shanahan should of saw we couldn't win and put in Kirk Cousins to end it.
I'm not worried about RGIII's performance, AP had the same surgery last season and this season almost broke the single-season rushing record. Oh, and speaking of AP, does anyone know why the Redskins play the Vikings and the Rams every season?

Smeargle said:
I'm not worried about RGIII's performance, AP had the same surgery last season and this season almost broke the single-season rushing record. Oh, and speaking of AP, does anyone know why the Redskins play the Vikings and the Rams every season?

Yes, another Redskins fan? And they play twice because of money I'm guessing. The NFL is a corpoation.

Smeargle said:
Suitcune said:
Yes, another Redskins fan? And they play twice because of money I'm guessing. The NFL is a corpoation.

I assume we're not familiar with how scheduling works.

Teams in conference play the 3 teams in their same conference that ended up in the same divisional finish as they did.

This explains why Washington consistently played Minnesota and St. Louis, as all three were their divisions' cellar-dwellers the previous season.

Now, because Washington won the NFC East, their 2013 schedule will be paced by the fellow NFC Divisional winners; Green Bay, Atlanta and San Francisco.

While my Cowboys will play Chicago, New Orleans and St. Louis in 2013.

Rainbow Dash said:
Smeargle said:
Suitcune said:

I assume we're not familiar with how scheduling works.

Teams in conference play the 3 teams in their same conference that ended up in the same divisional finish as they did.

This explains why Washington consistently played Minnesota and St. Louis, as all three were their divisions' cellar-dwellers the previous season.

Now, because Washington won the NFC East, their 2013 schedule will be paced by the fellow NFC Divisional winners; Green Bay, Atlanta and San Francisco.

While my Cowboys will play Chicago, New Orleans and St. Louis in 2013.

Can't trust a Cowboys lover, but OK. Whatever you say America's team.
Edit: I don't hate the Cowboys, it's just my nature.

Suitcune said:

I'm not lying. This is how it works.

Your team has finished 1st in your division. You have the three divisional leaders to face, along with the 6 games against your division rivals. You have the 4 games against the AFC Division rotating every 4 years, and then the final 4 games against one of the 3 divisions in the NFC that also rotates. (The NFC East in 2013 will face the NFC North and the AFC West).

So, in this point; the 2013 Redskins schedule will consist of:

Home: Dallas, N.Y. Giants, Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit, Kansas City, San Diego,
San Francisco (Division Winner)
Away: Dallas, N.Y. Giants, Philadelphia, Green Bay (Div. Winner), Minnesota, Denver, Oakland, Atlanta (Division Winner)

Not looking forward to this season's Redskins scedule:

Cowboys twice (obviously)
Giants twice (obviously)
Eagles twice (obviously)
Bears (although last time we played them in 2010 we won, DeAngelo Hall tied the record with 4 interceptions)
Lions
49ers
Chiefs
Chargers
Broncos
Vikings (again)
Falcons
Raiders
Packers

Might be the hardest in the league, although there are a couple courtesy wins in there (Raiders, Chargers, Chiefs, Lions).
Source:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2012/12/31/redskins-2013-opponents/

EDIT: Ninja'd

I do like the scheduling allowing the 4th place divisional teams an attempt to improve their record from the previous year, and the division winners a chance to keep their grasp on their division/conference by facing their fellow division winners.

It keeps a balance so to speak.

Rainbow Dash said:
I do like the scheduling allowing the 4th place divisional teams an attempt to improve their record from the previous year, and the division winners a chance to keep their grasp on their division/conference by facing their fellow division winners.

It keeps a balance so to speak.
The attempted balance of power is one of the reasons why I like the NFL. Also how the draft works.

Smeargle said:
The attempted balance of power is one of the reasons why I like the NFL. Also how the draft works.

And this is why the NFL Draft is and always will be better then the NBA Draft. No stupid lottery for the National Football League.

Rainbow Dash said:
Smeargle said:

And this is why the NFL Draft is and always will be better then the NBA Draft. No stupid lottery for the National Football League.
The funny thing is though, a lot of the good players aren't selected too quickly (Aaron Rodgers was 24th pick, Tom Brady in the sixth round, and then some rising stars like Russel Wilson and Alfred Morris were picked late (note, I'm not saying that players picked early are bad)).

Rainbow Dash said:
Suitcune said:

I'm not lying. This is how it works.

Your team has finished 1st in your division. You have the three divisional leaders to face, along with the 6 games against your division rivals. You have the 4 games against the AFC Division rotating every 4 years, and then the final 4 games against one of the 3 divisions in the NFC that also rotates. (The NFC East in 2013 will face the NFC North and the AFC West).

So, in this point; the 2013 Redskins schedule will consist of:

Home: Dallas, N.Y. Giants, Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit, Kansas City, San Diego,
San Francisco (Division Winner)
Away: Dallas, N.Y. Giants, Philadelphia, Green Bay (Div. Winner), Minnesota, Denver, Oakland, Atlanta (Division Winner)

Smeargle said:
Not looking forward to this season's Redskins scedule:

Cowboys twice (obviously)
Giants twice (obviously)
Eagles twice (obviously)
Bears (although last time we played them in 2010 we won, DeAngelo Hall tied the record with 4 interceptions)
Lions
49ers
Chiefs
Chargers
Broncos
Vikings (again)
Falcons
Raiders
Packers

Might be the hardest in the league, although there are a couple courtesy wins in there (Raiders, Chargers, Chiefs, Lions).
Source:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2012/12/31/redskins-2013-opponents/

EDIT: Ninja'd

@Rainbow Dash
Just kidding! Thanks for the help. I never new that.

@Smeargle
Don't worry, I'm looking forward to the Redskins season. The games that I will dislike the most however are the Bears, (they have my man Jason Campbell), the Eagles, (my friends will never stop bothering me!) and the Broncos. I'm expecting Peyton Manning to pull his team farther than before. He was won of the greatest quarterbacks of all time in my opinion, and with his career coming to a close, he is probably going to go all out on this season. The Redskins can pull through with RGIII, the reliable London Flecther, and defensive threats such as Brandon Merriweather and DeAngelo Hall. Earlier in the season I was angry at Mike Shanahan for only trying to improve his offense, but his defense showed great skill in games, and new prospects will always give us another chance to get us farther than ever before. Even doing that, improving his offense, gave RGIII the chance to have one of the highest passer ratings as a rookie and Pierre Garcon a good future career with the Redskins.

Smeargle said:
The funny thing is though, a lot of the good players aren't selected too quickly (Aaron Rodgers was 24th pick, Tom Brady in the sixth round, and then some rising stars like Russel Wilson and Alfred Morris were picked late (note, I'm not saying that players picked early are bad)).

Yeah, for every Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady picked, there's double the Ryan Leafs, Charles Rodgers or Tony Mandarichs.

The thing is finding those great superstars while avoiding those players who eventually bust and flame out.

Because, the Scouting Combines and their respective Pro Days can only go so far...

Rainbow Dash said:
Yeah, for every Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady picked, there's double the Ryan Leafs, Charles Rodgers or Tony Mandarichs.

The thing is finding those great superstars while avoiding those players who eventually bust and flame out.

Because, the Scouting Combines and their respective Pro Days can only go so far...

Biggest superstar moment, Colin Kapernick. After getting drafted in 2011 as a backup to Alex Smith, he has had the perfect Tom Brady and Drew Bledsoe story. He got the chance when the starter went down, and he preformed well.

Suitcune said:
Biggest superstar moment, Colin Kapernick. After getting drafted in 2011 as a backup to Alex Smith, he has had the perfect Tom Brady and Drew Bledsoe story. He got the chance when the starter went down, and he preformed well.

While he's a nice story; the stories of Victor Cruz, Tony Romo and Marques Colston are bigger stories. (With Cruz and Romo being undrafted rookies, and then becoming stars of their respective franchises.)

Back