Mega Rayquaza / New OR/AS Info in NicoNico Video Stream [10/2]

Mega Rayquaza looks awful. I've liked all the megas so far, but they completely butchered this one.

One Pokémon looked down upon this battle from the sky above. The Pokémon that dances in the heavens: Rayquaza. Rayquaza is venerated by the people of Hoenn as their protector and savior. When Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre had battled for 20 dawns and 20 nights, the world began to lose its natural balance and tilt toward destruction. The people, unable to endure any more, cried out to their mighty savior Rayquaza before a great stone that shone with rainbow brilliance. And a change came upon Rayquaza, weaving in the sky above Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre. Suffused in brilliant light, its body began to transform visibly...

So I guess that pretty much kills any slim chances for Delta Emerald
Plus opens up a lot of ? marks about how will the story go in each version.

Holy s--- this makes so much sense now, earlier it was announced that the ORAS set of cards was going to have 2 Primal and 4 Megas, at the time everyone thought that because only 2 Primals were announced then Primal Rayquaza was going to be in a different set. Now that its confirmed to be a Mega evolution its all but confirmed that he's going to be in the set (one set for release in Feb)

2 P: Kyogre & Groudon
4 M: Sceptile, Combusken, Swampert, & Rayquaza!

I just got so much more hyped for this set, the art is going to be amazing for these cards.

The arrogance of trainers is believing that legendaries are under their control and not the other way around. Let them fight

Oh Ubers just got a lot more fun. On a different note, Primal Groudon now has a perfect counter. Delta Stream cancels out P-Groudon's sun and M-Rayquaza can retaliate with Surf/Waterfall, and he doesn't have to worry about Stone Edge since Delta Stream cuts it's power.

scattered mind said:
Drohn said:
Does anyone else think Dragon Ascent may also be a dual type move? It's flagged under Flying, but perhaps it deals Dragon type damage too.

It must be a dual type move ! The name just giving that right away.
It is kind of annoying how all the legendaries gets the cool moves.
By the way : Is that the first and only Mega so far that gets a new move thanks to Mega evolving? Or this move can be used without mega evolving ? I wonder.

I'm pretty sure Sceptile shooting its tail is also a new move. Other Pokémon might also get new moves. A dual type Grass/Dragon Water/Ground (Muddy Water should just be changed already) and Fire/Fighting move would be nice for the starters.

scattered mind said:
Drohn said:
Does anyone else think Dragon Ascent may also be a dual type move? It's flagged under Flying, but perhaps it deals Dragon type damage too.

It must be a dual type move ! The name just giving that right away.
It is kind of annoying how all the legendaries gets the cool moves.
By the way : Is that the first and only Mega so far that gets a new move thanks to Mega evolving? Or this move can be used without mega evolving ? I wonder.

Mega evolution doesn't affect learnset as it is in-battle-exclusive.

So clearly that's Rayquazas regular signature move.
Same for Kyogres and Groudons recently revealed moves.
They didn't have any yet anyway, just signature abilities back then.

Tails said:
Mega Rayquaza looks weird, but what can you do? I was honestly expecting a Primal Rayquaza to go with Primal Groudon and Kyogre.

It looks much more like a mega evolution (serious design changes) than a primal reversion (which is more an oversized power-boosted look).

But also, Rayquaza doesn't sleep, or cause desaster like the other two. It's much more sentient, like a guardian oevrseeing everything from the skies. It has nothing to revert to, just get overpowered in a direct fashion instead.
Makes sense to me.

If only they called it something unique akin to primal reversion, rather than just a plain mega evolution it would make more sense though.
But apparently it's not a typical mega evolution so we will see.

Hopefully Mega Rayquaza's reveal will mean something bigger in the works. GameFreak doesn't seem to be going by format now adays, so i will keep my mouth shut rather than have my foot in it later down the line, but hopefully the games will be closer to emerald than they were to ruby/sapphire.

I think the difference between kyogre and groudon getting primal and rayquaza getting mega has to do with rayquaza being their master? What if Rayquaza is fashioned as the first mega, whose mega power came about to directly oppose primal power?

He looks really cool, except the weird bug jaw in the front... I mean I guess they can be tusks... never saw a dragon with tusks before...

MrSquarepants said:
He looks really cool, except the weird bug jaw in the front... I mean I guess they can be tusks... never saw a dragon with tusks before...

What about haxorus?

I love the new look! The face scythehorns look odd, but even those are growing on me already. Mega Rayquaza looks absolutely celestially godly. I really wonder what stat changes Rayquaza will get.

xayshade said:
MrSquarepants said:

What about haxorus?

wow I just thought until now "hmm why is this form looks so familiar?.."
It does reminds Haxorus's tusks..lol
I actually really like the design .. it is also looks like it broke from its own shell with that black coloring and these yellow red things separated from its body.

Looks cool. It really sucks that OPed ability is only exclusive to Rayquaza.

By the way, why is the wind black?

Holy yes!!! I always loved Rayquaza and he is my favorite ledgendary... and now he has a Mega! And it's awesome!! I'm really happy! With this, I really can't wait for the day of release of the games (sadly, I will have to wait until November 28... but I think I will buy the limited edition)

As a 3D CGI fan-artist, I'm crying. They took everything that was simple about Rayquaza's original design and turned it into a nightmare. So many tendrils, thin flow-y bits, and transparent body parts! The original Rayquaza had such a simple 3D model, and Mega Rayquaza looks so complex!
Comparison:
mega-rayquaza-5.jpg
mega-rayquaza-10.jpg
It's going to be a real challenge making a 3D Mega Rayquaza...

Still, Mega Rayquaza is definitely awesome. It looks amazing, and its power is going to be something to fear. I can't wait to catch it!

xayshade said:
MrSquarepants said:

What about haxorus?

Oh yeah... I forget those are real tusks and not axe bone teeth. >.< the vision I had in mind was a Chinese Dragon with mammoth tusks angled to look like a bug's jaw. I've never seen that before.

Back