Japan's XY9 Set: 'Rage of the Broken Sky,' New 'Battle Strengthening Sets'

BasedGodzilla

Aspiring Trainer
Did everyone forget that this card already existed in last season's standard format alongside cards like Shaymin-EX, Wobbuffet, Silent Lab and more? Those cards weren't useless then; why would a Garbotoxin reprint make them useless now?

Otaku

The wise fool?
EDIT: wait, is this a great shut down to Shaymins, isn't it?
Did everyone forget that this card already existed in last season's standard format alongside cards like Shaymin-EX, Wobbuffet, Silent Lab and more? Those cards weren't useless then; why would a Garbotoxin reprint make them useless now?
+Shuts down Shaymin-EX

Apparently yes, yes they did.

We already have Hex Maniac with Versus Seeker (and if need be, Battle Compressor) for faking a one-sided Ability lock. Yes, I said "one-sided"; in Expanded Garbodor decks still at least sometimes run Shaymin-EX, as the goal is to drop the one or two copies you own for a killer first turn and then lock things down. Not as one sided as actual one-sided effects, but it still seems abusively powerful for both cards.

Some things I wish the designers would remember:

1) If you have to more or less hard counter it or the game is broken, perhaps you ought not to release it at all and save yourselves the trouble?

2) Giving us a bunch of "goodies" to play with is a lot less fun when you essentially rip them away "Sure I could run X, but everyone already runs Y to counter Z and Y counters X as well!"

3) Make sure the stuff you're trying to counter doesn't work well alongside the "counters". Examples are Shaymin-EX (ROS) and Garbodor w/Garbotoxin, Seismitoad-EX and powerful Item cards, etc.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
why am I not surprised? dark patch reprint confirmed? lets get things people actually like to the format, but of all things, freakin' garbodor.

SaiScott95

TCG Fanboy
I knew having a good and fun format was too good to be true. All creativity was just thrown out the window the second we got it back.

redsky22

Aspiring Trainer
I saw this and though o hey a new garbodor card better not be a reprint of garbotoxin. I get pokemon reprinting cards that have been out of format for a while but garbodor's ablity has been reprinted what is this twice now as well as the original garbodor. This is not much of a threat right now with startling mega phone in format but once that gets rotated we really won't have anything to counter it easily. O no garbodor/giratina is going to be a thing in standard turn one locking ablity with wally and float stone.

Last edited:

asdjklghty

-------------
O no garbodor/giratina is going to be a thing in standard turn one locking ablity with wally and float stone.
I don't think so. Seismitoad Garbodor worked because it blocked all Items, not just Tools.

Y'all are whining about Garbodor shutting off strategies but you're forgetting the real reason why you might like Garbodor in Standard; Vanilluxe/Vileplume sucks now... nooooooo.

HURRAY TPCI! YOU LISTENED TO ME!! XY9 IS THE BEST XY SET IN A WHILE YEAH!!! Water Support which makes Primal Kyogre a little more viable, Palkia EX looks so good and now Garbodor's back! We had Mr. Mime back in BREAKthrough. What's next? Computer Search? N?

Chewy

Aspiring Trainer
Item lock is honestly pretty dead in standard, this thing will have plenty of counters if it ever gets out of hand, Im not worried about this. Parallel City is almost better at hosing Shaymins and Bronzongs than this.

SaitoGmr5

Aspiring Trainer
I just can´t believe it. What the F is Pokemon thinking? Just when we had a lot of new possibilities and creativity, a more Supporter and ability based game, with interesting effects, but, NOPE! Too bad! Let´s make this the very same format as Black and White.

We had Villeplume, then Giratina, then a Float Stone reprint, now this, i really expect a Keldeo reprint soon now, if you want to play dirty then just give us Superior Retrieval already, what about a item that lets you evolve stage 2's turbo like only grass can do? That´s what BREAK should have been.

Because my Raikou won´t stand a chance now; It´s really boring to have to stack cards on your already tight deck just for one card like this, but we gonna have to, put a single hex maniac and a megaphone in every single deck. What the f man.

Last edited:

sonicjms

Bench, Call, Ride, Summon, Cast
This powerful of an ability really should have been for a Garbodor BREAK

Oh you were planning on playing aromatise, or magnezone, or anything else interesting, well screw you. I hope next set reintroduces pokepowers

Last edited by a moderator:

Otaku

The wise fool?
While technically this could work for any set, I am thinking the English name should actually be "Rage of Broken Fan". >.>

Item lock is honestly pretty dead in standard...

...is it really?

I'm asking because as I may have mentioned earlier, I don't have a lot of data for Standard right now. People have been predicting that Seismitoad-EX was done for possibly as soon as Lysandre's Trump Card was banned, and then by rotation and... yeah, still run into it quite a bit in Standard or Expanded. Played differently, but still there.

We haven't had XY: BREAKThrough legal for any tournaments of significance yet, have we? Maybe it will reveal that I was totally behind the times and am wrong. Maybe some of my crackpot predictions like someone going "Hey, I can use Archie's Ace in the Hole to get the new Empoleon into play quickly and without Evolving, and suddenly Seismitoad-EX and Giratina-EX (AOR) can get buff!"

Chewy

Aspiring Trainer
While technically this could work for any set, I am thinking the English name should actually be "Rage of Broken Fan". >.>

...is it really?

I'm asking because as I may have mentioned earlier, I don't have a lot of data for Standard right now. People have been predicting that Seismitoad-EX was done for possibly as soon as Lysandre's Trump Card was banned, and then by rotation and... yeah, still run into it quite a bit in Standard or Expanded. Played differently, but still there.

We haven't had XY: BREAKThrough legal for any tournaments of significance yet, have we? Maybe it will reveal that I was totally behind the times and am wrong. Maybe some of my crackpot predictions like someone going "Hey, I can use Archie's Ace in the Hole to get the new Empoleon into play quickly and without Evolving, and suddenly Seismitoad-EX and Giratina-EX (AOR) can get buff!"

You cant play solo Seismitoad anymore because 30/50 a turn just doesnt cut it. Seismitoad nowadays is just used as a slowing device to give you more time to setup your real threats. Not to mention Vespiquen and Sceptile are very real decks atm and completely poop on Toad.

Basically it is no longer the endless one sided item lock from turn one we love to hate, you expect to at some point let go of the lock to start dealing some damage but when you do that you expose the Garbodor to Megaphones / Seeker for Xerosic etc.