Japan's XY9 Set: 'Rage of the Broken Sky,' New 'Battle Strengthening Sets'

Discussion in 'Pokémon Trading Card Game' started by Water Pokémon Master, Sep 7, 2015.

1. TheFlyingPidove Missing the old days
    TheFlyingPidove

The art is beautiful, but the card...

2. Blui lv85 paladin
    Blui

But Toad is and was far more degenerate than Garbodor ever was at any given point.

Honestly, I like Garbodor as a card, it was never absurdly powerful on its own as cards like Tool Scrapper and Startling Megaphone just shut it off straight away and being printed on a Stage 1 also hindered its overall playability (even though it was still very powerful). In fact, before Plasma Freeze Garbodor wasn't even a particularly good card because it was bad to have a 3 RC Pokemon that could just be Catchered up.

One of the things I enjoy about Garbodor is that its one of a few choice cards that actually interact with your opponents and that it wasn't a form of hard lock that couldn't be countered. As I said before, cards such as Tool Scrapper and Startling Megaphone were things that kept Garbodor from being entirely oppressive. Something like Seismitoad or Exeggutor just sucks because you have no way of interacting with it, there's nothing you can do to stop it after it swung other than hope you can KO it and pray they don't have another.

Another thing that Garbodor did was create one of the most interesting (although easy-ish to pilot) decks in recent memory in Darkrai/Garbodor. Who would've thought that shutting off Darkrai-EX's powerful Ability would result in a net profit? For that reason, Garbodor is a card that also inspired innovation, something the Pokemon TCG is absolutely dreadful at doing.

Stray observations about Garbodor in the current meta:
    +Shuts down Shaymin-EX
    +Shuts down non-interactive Abilities on Pokemon such as Altaria and the Eeveelutions
    +Doesn't exist in a world with Hypnotoxic Laser, one of the cards that pushed it over the edge
    +Less Bats
    +Interacts nicely with more oppressive cards such as Aegislash and Pyroar
    -Decks will need to be built differently (less emphasis on Shaymin)

side note: i hope they finally reprint tool scrapper, that card is baler as anything

3. MegaButterfree Old Timer
    MegaButterfree

A few have mentioned it, but I don't see why they couldn't have given this ability effect to another Pokemon, with another name (other than Garbotoxin) or caveat (vs. having a tool attached)...sometimes there seems to be a creativity void in the Pokemon world..

TheFlyingPidove likes this.
  4. ArnaldoAF Aspiring Trainer
    ArnaldoAF

so... i guess that wobofett, silent lab and hex maniac are useless now...

5. BasedGodzilla Aspiring Trainer
    BasedGodzilla

Did everyone forget that this card already existed in last season's standard format alongside cards like Shaymin-EX, Wobbuffet, Silent Lab and more? Those cards weren't useless then; why would a Garbotoxin reprint make them useless now?

6. Otaku The wise fool?
    Otaku

Apparently yes, yes they did.

We already have Hex Maniac with Versus Seeker (and if need be, Battle Compressor) for faking a one-sided Ability lock. Yes, I said "one-sided"; in Expanded Garbodor decks still at least sometimes run Shaymin-EX, as the goal is to drop the one or two copies you own for a killer first turn and then lock things down. Not as one sided as actual one-sided effects, but it still seems abusively powerful for both cards.

Some things I wish the designers would remember:

1) If you have to more or less hard counter it or the game is broken, perhaps you ought not to release it at all and save yourselves the trouble?

2) Giving us a bunch of "goodies" to play with is a lot less fun when you essentially rip them away "Sure I could run X, but everyone already runs Y to counter Z and Y counters X as well!"

3) Make sure the stuff you're trying to counter doesn't work well alongside the "counters". Examples are Shaymin-EX (ROS) and Garbodor w/Garbotoxin, Seismitoad-EX and powerful Item cards, etc.

7. Apterous Aspiring Trainer
    Apterous

I'm totally fine with this, as long as it's a lie and isn't really going to happen.

8. gumball51321 *thumbs up*
    gumball51321

why am I not surprised? dark patch reprint confirmed? lets get things people actually like to the format, but of all things, freakin' garbodor.

redsky22 likes this.
  9. Hydrocrush Aspiring Trainer
    Hydrocrush

ok then i demand a lysandres trump card that doesent work on vs seekers

redsky22 likes this.
  10. double o squirtle Sweet Summer Child
    double o squirtle

The moment it goes out of standard...

redsky22 likes this.
  11. SaiScott95 TCG Fanboy
    SaiScott95

I knew having a good and fun format was too good to be true. All creativity was just thrown out the window the second we got it back.

redsky22 likes this.
  12. redsky22 Aspiring Trainer
    redsky22

I saw this and though o hey a new garbodor card better not be a reprint of garbotoxin. I get pokemon reprinting cards that have been out of format for a while but garbodor's ablity has been reprinted what is this twice now as well as the original garbodor. This is not much of a threat right now with startling mega phone in format but once that gets rotated we really won't have anything to counter it easily. O no garbodor/giratina is going to be a thing in standard turn one locking ablity with wally and float stone.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  13. asdjklghty -------------
    asdjklghty

I don't think so. Seismitoad Garbodor worked because it blocked all Items, not just Tools.

Y'all are whining about Garbodor shutting off strategies but you're forgetting the real reason why you might like Garbodor in Standard; Vanilluxe/Vileplume sucks now... nooooooo.

HURRAY TPCI! YOU LISTENED TO ME!! XY9 IS THE BEST XY SET IN A WHILE YEAH!!! Water Support which makes Primal Kyogre a little more viable, Palkia EX looks so good and now Garbodor's back! We had Mr. Mime back in BREAKthrough. What's next? Computer Search? N?

14. pokedan24 Aspiring Trainer
    pokedan24

15. Chewy Aspiring Trainer
    Chewy

Item lock is honestly pretty dead in standard, this thing will have plenty of counters if it ever gets out of hand, Im not worried about this. Parallel City is almost better at hosing Shaymins and Bronzongs than this.

16. SaitoGmr5 Aspiring Trainer
    SaitoGmr5

I just can´t believe it. What the F is Pokemon thinking? Just when we had a lot of new possibilities and creativity, a more Supporter and ability based game, with interesting effects, but, NOPE! Too bad! Let´s make this the very same format as Black and White.

We had Villeplume, then Giratina, then a Float Stone reprint, now this, i really expect a Keldeo reprint soon now, if you want to play dirty then just give us Superior Retrieval already, what about a item that lets you evolve stage 2's turbo like only grass can do? That´s what BREAK should have been.

Because my Raikou won´t stand a chance now; It´s really boring to have to stack cards on your already tight deck just for one card like this, but we gonna have to, put a single hex maniac and a megaphone in every single deck. What the f man.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  17. awesomeMSG Just a guy who wants to master Greninja BREAK
    awesomeMSG

RIP SETTING UP:( pun was needed(worst timing)

18. sonicjms Aspiring Trainer
    sonicjms

This powerful of an ability really should have been for a Garbodor BREAK

Oh you were planning on playing aromatise, or magnezone, or anything else interesting, well screw you. I hope next set reintroduces pokepowers

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2015
  19. Otaku The wise fool?
    Otaku

While technically this could work for any set, I am thinking the English name should actually be "Rage of Broken Fan". >.>

...is it really?

I'm asking because as I may have mentioned earlier, I don't have a lot of data for Standard right now. People have been predicting that Seismitoad-EX was done for possibly as soon as Lysandre's Trump Card was banned, and then by rotation and... yeah, still run into it quite a bit in Standard or Expanded. Played differently, but still there.

We haven't had XY: BREAKThrough legal for any tournaments of significance yet, have we? Maybe it will reveal that I was totally behind the times and am wrong. Maybe some of my crackpot predictions like someone going "Hey, I can use Archie's Ace in the Hole to get the new Empoleon into play quickly and without Evolving, and suddenly Seismitoad-EX and Giratina-EX (AOR) can get buff!"

redsky22 likes this.
  20. Chewy Aspiring Trainer
    Chewy

You cant play solo Seismitoad anymore because 30/50 a turn just doesnt cut it. Seismitoad nowadays is just used as a slowing device to give you more time to setup your real threats. Not to mention Vespiquen and Sceptile are very real decks atm and completely poop on Toad.

Basically it is no longer the endless one sided item lock from turn one we love to hate, you expect to at some point let go of the lock to start dealing some damage but when you do that you expose the Garbodor to Megaphones / Seeker for Xerosic etc.

Viewing Now: 0 Members + 0 Guests

There are no registered members viewing this forum. Why not register here and start a discussion?