Is RNGing Ethical?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tell you what. If Nintendo ever certifies and stamps any guide that even vaguely mentions RNG, I will not say a word about it being used in tournies. I just want to see a stamp of approval on the concept. I don't even need it to be super specific as to why. If I want more info then I feel I would be justified to look into it further. I don't see why that's a problem. I don't care what the ruling is, I just want a clear ruling. If it's ambigiuous, I have my doubts. I don't want to have doubts. It was said that one of the guides just said that pokerus promotes growth. That's enough for me to be ok with utilizing pokerus for raising guys. If Nintendo ever says, "RNG can help trainers raise stronger pokemon" I'd accept it at tournies.

As for free play, I could care less. It's your game, do what you want. I just feel if things get banned for being overpowered simply because of thier species (like legends) or luck based effects (like brightpowder or quick claw) then why is something like this ok? Seems like splitting hairs.

SuperMatt142 said:
Wrong guides bro. I was referring to the platinum guide. It is published by Pokémon USA, so Prima is not involved at all either that or they are uncredited. If you want I can scan the publishing info too.

CCI04182012_00001.jpg

Scan the publishing info. It's there. I'm looking at it. "Design & Production: Prima Games".

I will say this is the least Prima Prima guide I've seen, but it's definitely them. Same font on cover as DP, dumb paper instead of laminated (don't care if it's 600+ pages), spelling errors, and EVs.

Chariblaze said:
Scan the publishing info. It's there. I'm looking at it. "Design & Production: Prima Games".

I will say this is the least Prima Prima guide I've seen, but it's definitely them. Same font on cover as DP, dumb paper instead of laminated (don't care if it's 600+ pages), spelling errors, and EVs.

Touché, I see it now.. they did a good job hiding it. I was looking for a logo. My previous post still stands though, regardless of if prima produced it or not. If Nintendo ever stamps any document that references RNG, I'd be cool with it. Otherwise, still gonna frown upon it.

Of course RNG isn't ethical, but that doesn't mean people won't use it to win. There are those who play to have fun, and those who play to win. It's technically legal, so why not? The question remains whether or not you should do it, and if you choose to do so, what ethical ramifications exist to you after that?

From my point of view, you might as well call yourself a scrub netdecker. Heck, why not just use Action Replay instead? It'd be the same thing either way and people will look at you the same way anyway.

If you want perfect IV'd Pokemon, go back to your simulators and leave the rest of us alone.

Long story short: I have always been against cheats and exploits that give you Pokemon with all 31s. Nothing is truly "ideal".

I think it is ethical. You aren't doing anything such as Pokesav, Pokegen, or Action Replay. All ou are doing is changing the date.

Sure, it's ethical. But anyone who says its necessary to win is wrong. I have done better with non-RNG'd teams than I have with them, and they were less Metagame (I hate that crap, by the way). For example: I made top 16 Atlanta Regionals last year with a random team I threw together, and just went 5-3 with the RNG'd team my friend made me. Not to mention I had a friend get 9th with a non-RNG'd team, ahead of most people I knew who had RNG'd their teams. I also did better than my friend at Nationals last year who had a fully RNG'd, shiny, standard-as-can-be, 2011 team with my team I simply bred for decent IVs and natures. In conclusion, there's no problem with RNG'ing, but why waste the time to learn how to do it when it's not needed?:p

Deus: Nightmare Autarch said:
Of course RNG isn't ethical, but that doesn't mean people won't use it to win. There are those who play to have fun, and those who play to win.

I borderline agree with this, but what happens if YOU actually catch a perfect Pokemon with perfect IVs? You might as well consider this a cheat, as it is perfect, and it is what people want, right?

Equinox said:
I borderline agree with this, but what happens if YOU actually catch a perfect Pokemon with perfect IVs? You might as well consider this a cheat, as it is perfect, and it is what people want, right?
Given how the odds of that are actually zero without RNG or IV manipulation, I don't even need to worry about that.

Deus: Nightmare Autarch said:
Given how the odds of that are actually zero without RNG or IV manipulation, I don't even need to worry about that.

Actually, I know I've read somewhere about the odds, it's a lot, and I've forgotten it. So long as there is odds there is a possibility.

I'm not sure what "ethical" would even mean in this context, and it's silly to suppose that this argument could ever be resolved given that the gamer's code of honour seems to differ from person to person.

What this thread is really intended for (or at least, what it will become) is a place for people to vent about how "unfair" it is to breeders that ideal IVs are so easily accessible via an unintentional, exploitable glitch.

In terms of tournament performance bias, I do not see any problem. A player who has RNG'd will have equal/marginally better IV distributions compared to a dedicated breeder (i.e. most of you here). I know enough about the offensive, "super effective" nature of 2v2 to state that no IVs aside from Speed need to be in pristine condition (25's and upwards for relevant stats is a good goal to aim for). Speaking /only/ in terms of tournament performance, RNG is arguably more fair towards those who lack the time or connections to obtain competitively viable monsters. If you're a casual breeder who doesn't aim for top class IVs, you're disadvantaged against dedicated breeders and RNGers alike.

With that said, I am not sure why people are complaining about RNG. How others play the game does not affect your own experiences, and just like how others choose to use RNG, you also choose not to. Just because you prefer to generate Pokemon by breeding, it doesn't give you the justification to soft-insult RNGers with "unethical" just because they don't want to spend 50+ hours catching a viable Azelf or whatever. I anticipate the response "But that's how the game was supposed to be played!", but who's to say that for this reason breeding is more enjoyable than RNG? If it doesn't produce extremely superior Pokemon to breeding (indeed RNG produces physically possible Pokemon), then why is it so bad?

How many of you clone, too?

Equinox said:
Actually, I know I've read somewhere about the odds, it's a lot, and I've forgotten it. So long as there is odds there is a possibility.

I agree with this.. the thing is, if it's one or two of these guys I wouldn't bat an eye. I'd be like, "you got lucky dude! awesome!" It's whole teams/boxes of them that is unethical part. That's be like winning the state lotto every week.

Bacon said:
With that said, I am not sure why people are complaining about RNG. How others play the game does not affect your own experiences, and just like how others choose to use RNG, you also choose not to. Just because you prefer to generate Pokemon by breeding, it doesn't give you the justification to soft-insult RNGers with "unethical" just because they don't want to spend 50+ hours catching a viable Azelf or whatever. I anticipate the response "But that's how the game was supposed to be played!", but who's to say that for this reason breeding is more enjoyable than RNG? If it doesn't produce extremely superior Pokemon to breeding (indeed RNG produces physically possible Pokemon), then why is it so bad?

If it wasn't tournament play I'd agree with you. The issue I have is that due to the tournament nature, the fact that they can cut corners to have a full team of perfect guys is a little much. I fall back to my previous statement. One or two on a team.. sure. A good breeder might be able to pull that off. But when I've seen the boxes of perfect shinies I can't help but get miffed. It's like someone going to a fighting game tourney and using a controller that stores all of the best combos to hot keys. Sure they could put the button commands in themselves, but the fact is since they programmed this controller it is easier for them than someone who doesn't do this. That's the problem. Also, I think this is only a VGC problem. In a format, like some of the online competitions people play in, pretty much everyone uses RNG, AR, or something. That's fine. I don't like those tournies so I don't play in them. Why is it that there is no format where I don't have to worry about someone "abusing" some code to have statistically better odds of doing things than I do? There are formats that ban Brightpowder because it makes moves that normally hit occasionally miss. If that can be banned for that reason, I don't see why not allowing RNG in one format is a big deal.

Wait, scratch that. I know why. Because it helps RNGers rub their shinies in the face of people who don't RNG and it makes them feel smart when they talk about the odds, coding, and calculators that allow them to use this method. I realize this is a generaliztion.. and it's probably because the ones I met at VGC make the rest of you look bad because I was pretty much told by a group of 'em that this is why they do it.

I remember Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldbloom in Jurassic Park) saying that, "..your standing on the shoulders of giants." I doubt each RNGer starts by dissecting the game code themselves and working from there. If they did, I'd respect them more for it. Instead, they are using the work someone else did to allow them to cut corners. I am a full time paleontologist/biology teacher. I put in 40+ hours a week working, and I run my local pokémon league. I work hard to breed and raise pokémon in my almost non-existant free time. If you really enjoy something, you find the time. I will never accept it's ok because, "some people don't have the time." Last time I checked, hard work was measured by how much effort/time was put in. If you don't have the time, or not willing to put in the time, maybe your not as competitve as you think.

Additionally, notice in my first post I am referring to "abuse". The over use of this method is what I think is unethical.

TECHNICALLY, the only way to RNG is through cheating.You can only RNG if you have your Secret ID and ID. Secret ID is secret and is needed to RNG.You pretty much always need to cheat in some form or fashion. There aren't any real ways to discover your secret ID, hence the name SECRET ID
Personally, I think RNGing shouldn't be allowed since in almost all instances, cheating or support from an external device is used to get the secret ID.
I'd be OK with RNG if things like RNG reporter didn't exist, since they would've had to figure it out themselves. Rather than have a computer tell them how to.
I remember seeing a video on YouTube that showed how to find your Secret ID using a random caught shiny in 4th gen, I don't know if this is in 5th gen, too.

You can discover your secret ID if you catch a legit shiny in the wild.

And you don't need your secret ID to RNG for IV's and Nature. Only for shinies.

That being said, I think it's perfectly ethical. It often takes a long time of focus and determination to get it right, and if you mess up once you have to start all over again. If somebody wants to take the time and effort to get it right, I see nothing wrong with it. You're not altering your game at all, you're essentially just doing a bunch of random things in order to make the file on your game do something. It's the same as you would do by randomly encountering or breeding Pokémon, except you actually have a goal in mind.

Luxray :D said:
TECHNICALLY, the only way to RNG is through cheating.You can only RNG if you have your Secret ID and ID. Secret ID is secret and is needed to RNG.You pretty much always need to cheat in some form or fashion. There aren't any real ways to discover your secret ID, hence the name SECRET ID
Personally, I think RNGing shouldn't be allowed since in almost all instances, cheating or support from an external device is used to get the secret ID.
I'd be OK with RNG if things like RNG reporter didn't exist, since they would've had to figure it out themselves. Rather than have a computer tell them how to.
I remember seeing a video on YouTube that showed how to find your Secret ID using a random caught shiny in 4th gen, I don't know if this is in 5th gen, too.

Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks for the education. Guess it does fall into cheating then because of the official stance of Nintendo vs outside devices.

Teapot said:

And you don't need your secret ID to RNG for IV's and Nature. Only for shinies.

That being said, I think it's perfectly ethical. It often takes a long time of focus and determination to get it right, and if you mess up once you have to start all over again. If somebody wants to take the time and effort to get it right, I see nothing wrong with it. You're not altering your game at all, you're essentially just doing a bunch of random things in order to make the file on your game do something. It's the same as you would do by randomly encountering or breeding Pokémon, except you actually have a goal in mind.

How would you know if someone got the ID via cheating (like Luxray : D mentioned) or not (via random shiny) though?

Teapot said:

Don't think this is possible in Fifth Gen, only Fourth. That makes all shiny abuse for stuff caught or bred in BW technically cheating, as I noted.

Teapot said:
Because if they cheated to get their secret ID it would show up in a hack check

It shouldn't, especially if the AR use is on a game that had a sample Pokemon traded to it from the game that's going to be entered in a tournament.

Teapot, almost all RNG teams are also shiny. I battled 3 at last week's tourney.2 boys and a girl. I lost to 3 and beat 1. One kid was young but knew the strategies inside and out who I lost to. The girl RNGd and was pretty much in it to win it. Often times, people who are trying to have fun won't RNG. Usually, people just in it to win it will RNG and have 252 Speed, 252 Atk/SpA EVs.They are just in it to win it.

Well I can't say for gen 5, but in gen 4 it would show up in a hack check. (At least that's what I was told.) Stuff might've changed around though.

Also Luxray, how does this make it any less ethical? There's nothing wrong with playing to win.

Teapot said:
Well I can't say for gen 5, but in gen 4 it would show up in a hack check. (At least that's what I was told.) Stuff might've changed around though.

Also Luxray, how does this make it any less ethical? There's nothing wrong with playing to win.

I never said anything about ethical. I just meant that MOST RNG teams are people who just want the best to be the best. Personally, I would feel bad about having such an upper hand. I wouldn't call it winning if the opponent was at a disadvatage. I OHKO'd all of my first round guy's Pokémon since he didn't EV train. But EV training is a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back