Collecting "How Much is This Card Worth?" / "Is This a Good Trade?"

RE: The ''How much is a card worth?'' topic.

bphaun3 said:
Via trollandtoad.com:
--Tornadus EX: $22
--Tornadus EX FA: $30
--Hydreigon (Dark Trance): $10.50

Tornadus EX: 15
Tornadus EX FA: 25
Hydreigon: 9

bphaun3 said:
Alright, I have a card with a slight misprint--the texturized print is off-center from the actual card. Below is the picture of the card:

(if it helps, look toward the retreat cost, or his nose to see the offprint)

How would you value it in relation to the correct Entei EX FA (which at the time of posting is $22 via T&T)?

Well don't use T&T prices, as they are overvalued. Regardless, the error is very minor (only really noticeable in the retreat cost energy), so I don't think the value would change that much - maybe $1 more (or possibly even less).

redterror117 said:
I apologize for repeating, but I still need to find out what the value of a PSA 8 graded CD Venusaur Promo is. I also need the value of a Base Shadowless Charizard (Unlimited) for a trade I plan on doing in a couple of weeks. It's in great condition with no visible scratches or dents.

You must have missed this :p

Daelum said:
A complete Base Set Shadowless Set is worth $150-$250.
$150 would be for a complete set in less than NM condition.
$200 would be the price for a NM+ set if you wanted to sell it in a reasonable time.
You could get $250 for the set if it was NM+ and you waited for the right buyer.

Base Set Shadowless Blastoise is worth around $20-$30 depending on condition, and the 1st edition version is worth around $60-$70 depending on condition.

Base Set Shadowless Venusaur is worth around $15-$25 depending on condition, and the 1st edition version is worth around $50-$60 depending on condition.

Base Set Shadowless Charizard is worth around $30-$50 depending on condition, and the 1st edition version is worth around $200/250 - $300 depending on condition.

Of course, if you got the cards graded and they got an 8 or better, their prices would be higher (for some, a lot higher).

As for the CD Venusaur, PSA 10 and 9 cards go for like $20-$30, so you could probably get $20 if you're lucky, $15 if you want to sell it soon.

bphaun3 said:
As far as the cards' *true* value is, ...beats the heck out of me.

Use Ebay completed listings. That gets you as close to the true value of a card as possible. Let me know if you need help doing so :)

Alright, thanks. I thought Hydreigon was worth about the same as or more then a reg. Tornadus EX due to the playability, even though one's an EX and one's not.

Daelum said:
Well don't use T&T prices, as they are overvalued.

Not always. I saw several examples of T&T listings that were half the low price on eBay.

So I really never got into the Pokemon TCG, preferring to only play the VGC and collecting YuGiOh! Cards
I really just want to start a few small collections around my favourite pokemon
What would be the best way to do this? Like how much would a set of all the Nidoking cards ever made cost? Would I maybe get a discount if I buy them all at once?
Or would I have have to try and buy them one by one?

I really want to buy all of the:
- Nidoking cards
- Scyther cards
- Kabutops cards
+ maybe some other random pokemon.. but I really want those three

You would have buy them one by one. The largest same Pokemon set I have ever seen listed was 10 Pikachu cards.

omahanime said:
You would have buy them one by one. The largest same Pokemon set I have ever seen listed was 10 Pikachu cards.
Ah k that sucks a bit I guess
Do you think it would be wise to try and buy them all from the same person/site to reduce costs? Or where would you recommend (sorry for all of the questions :3)

NidoJosh said:
Ah k that sucks a bit I guess
Do you think it would be wise to try and buy them all from the same person/site to reduce costs? Or where would you recommend (sorry for all of the questions :3)

Do you want just English, or other languages too?

omahanime said:
Do you want just English, or other languages too?

For now I was just thinking English. Maybe move onto Japanese and German later

For English try a site like T&T or CC. They are the only ones I know of that have singles.

omahanime said:
For English try a site like T&T or CC. They are the only ones I know of that have singles.

Sorry this probably looks really noob.. but what does T&T or CC stand for?

Troll and Toad
Collectors Cache.

I only buy from them if I have to. But for getting a collection fast, that should be the easiest. Not as fun though.

omahanime said:
Troll and Toad
Collectors Cache.

I only buy from them if I have to. But for getting a collection fast, that should be the easiest. Not as fun though.

Ah kk thank you. So using those sites + maybe Ebay should get my a collection pretty easily-ish?

NidoJosh said:
Ah kk thank you. So using those sites + maybe Ebay should get my a collection pretty easily-ish?

Definitely.

Be careful buying from TnT though. They advertise their cards as NM but sometimes you may receive a card that's clearly seen some play. I would say 9 times out of 10, I haven't had a problem with TnT. The last time I bought a card off them, however, it had a ton of smudges on the Holofoil.

I would recommend eBay for more expensive cards. :)

omahanime said:

Gamingetc.com also sells singles :)

@NidoJosh - I recommend using the sites above to find common singles (i.e. cards released in normal sets), but when it comes to finding promos or rare foreign cards, you should move to Ebay (or possibly the trading/selling/buying forums here), as, not only will you be able to find more, but you will get better deals.

P.S. If you are considering a Nidoking collection, and you do try and get all the Japanese versions, watch out for this bad boy. Giovanni's Nidoking seems to be a very hard card to find.

P.S.S. Use Bulbapedia to find lists of all (well, 99.999%) of the versions of cards (exclusive to English and Japanese for the most part). Just search the Pokemon name with TCG after it, and it'll give you a list of all the versions.
Here's an example for Nidoking: ~click~

SoulWind said:
Definitely.

Be careful buying from TnT though. They advertise their cards as NM but sometimes you may receive a card that's clearly seen some play. I would say 9 times out of 10, I haven't had a problem with TnT. The last time I bought a card off them, however, it had a ton of smudges on the Holofoil.

I would recommend eBay for more expensive cards. :)

Ok thank you very much for the advice!
Do you think it would be inadvisable for someone in Australia to buy it from them there?

Daelum said:
Gamingetc.com also sells singles :)

@NidoJosh - I recommend using the sites above to find common singles (i.e. cards released in normal sets), but when it comes to finding promos or rare foreign cards, you should move to Ebay (or possibly the trading/selling/buying forums here), as, not only will you be able to find more, but you will get better deals.

P.S. If you are considering a Nidoking collection, and you do try and get all the Japanese versions, watch out for this bad boy. Giovanni's Nidoking seems to be a very hard card to find.

P.S.S. Use Bulbapedia to find lists of all (well, 99.999%) of the versions of cards (exclusive to English and Japanese for the most part). Just search the Pokemon name with TCG after it, and it'll give you a list of all the versions.
Here's an example for Nidoking: ~click~

Thank you very much for the tip
If that Nidoking is really hard to find and expensive.. not sure if I think it would be worth it aha. It looks brilliant though. If I can locate it, I'll try to get one

How much is a Powe Keepers Holo water energy worth.

how much would Pikachu BW 115/114 be worth nowadays? (I know it was about $15 a year ago but that's well, a year ago)

Lugia Crystal Aquapolis? NearMint.

Back