How Do You Store and Organize Your Collection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PokePhD

PokéBeach Verified Seller
Hey PB!

I often reflect on how much I've learned over the past year about the TCG and just collections in general. One topic that is pretty recurrent is the best way to store cards, especially ones of high value. Personally, I don't think there is a single *best* way to store your collection, but there are many different methods that work!

I am actually pretty particular about the way I store my cards. Complete sets, or near complete sets, always go in binders unless I plan to sell them. My extras will go into plastic, Ultra Pro storage boxes and then a cardboard box. I do this to prevent edge wear and it works great! Typically I'll organize these by set so its easy to find a card if someone I know happens to need it. As for my Ultra and Secret Rare cards, I store those in 4" top loaders and sort them by set and number. The same goes for my promos although I don't have many. :p I prefer top loaders for Jumbos, although I know many people that use pages for them.

My main point though, is how do you store and organize your collection?

Do you guys use checklists to keep track of what you have or need?

Feel free to share your tips with the community!

Hydro Cannon

Just a random dood
Well I see our discussion led to a productive thread. :3

Well, anyway, I store by Language it's made in (English, JPN), then store by set since its the easiest way to find cards. I have two 5" binders I store my cards in

PokePhD

Hydro Cannon said:
Well I see our discussion led to a productive thread. :3

Well, anyway, I store by Language it's made in (English, JPN), then store by set since its the easiest way to find cards. I have two 5" binders I store my cards in

Yup our conversation and another thread inspired this one.

Do you have any particular way you store your sealed products? :)

Charizard FTW

Darkrai is such a bo$$
I usually keep my Holos and Ultra Rares in my Ultra Pro Binder and then I keep my commons and uncommons in a big box. I usually keep my really valuable cards in sleeves so then they dont get damaged and it works well. I usually keep my cards sorted by type and it makes them easy to find.

PokePhD

Charizard FTW said:
I usually keep my Holos and Ultra Rares in my Ultra Pro Binder and then I keep my commons and uncommons in a big box. I usually keep my really valuable cards in sleeves so then they dont get damaged and it works well. I usually keep my cards sorted by type and it makes them easy to find.

Welcome to PB!

I would love to be able to sort by type for my older cards. I used to set up my binder in a way that all the cards in an evolution line would be right next to each other. One cool thing about the new Black & White series is that the sets are organized by type. They look stunning in a binder!

exdarkrai01

Aspiring Trainer
I am both a collector and a competitive player. I have a binder of nothing but legal trainers sorted in pages by supporter, tool, search etc. (I obviously put more than one card per binder sleeve). I also have a binder with nothing but rares and playable C/U sorted by set. (I get kind of OCD about it, I have a playset of everything). Then I have a Dragons Exalted Ultra Pro binder with all of my legal Ultra Rares in it. And then for my collection i buy the Ultra Pro binder for the set and complete them in that.

Salamencetrainer34

I am out of smash codes.
I put commons/uncommons in tins. I put the BW trainers in a binder, Holos in sleeves, my Pawniard/Bisharp collection in a binder, and ultra rares in a pro binder. And sets in binders.

PokeGB

Aspiring Trainer
Can someone give me a link to buying pocket pages AND top loaders AND deck sleeves for jumbo cards please as I cant seem to find any?

PokePhD

exdarkrai01 said:
And then for my collection i buy the Ultra Pro binder for the set and complete them in that.
That idea is genius.

PokeGB said:
Can someone give me a link to buying pocket pages AND top loaders AND deck sleeves for jumbo cards please as I cant seem to find any?

Sent you a PM which might be helpful!

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member
For inventory I keep set, promo, and deck lists on LibreOffice. LibreOffice is a free program similar to Microsoft Office. I sitll would like to find a program that would keep track of set inventory, trade inventory and produce invoices for trading. drool

For storage I use 1/2" D ring binders with view fronts. I produce covers for the binders in different colors. I sort by language and type (set, decks, or promos) I put holo and gloss cards in to slickeys and then into Ultra-Pro 9-pocket pages. The pages go into binder by type. A full binder goes into a labeled Bankers box, that is labeled and numbered. I am going to start using top loaders for jumbos. I have an idea of how to cut top loaders to make cases for sealed booster packs. I use a labeled Bankers box for empty booster boxes.

When you have a collection as large as mine it helps to be organized. My collection started off small, and has grown over the years. Just like yours can.

AnUnown

The Pokellector
I also want to store my sets in the binder for that set... Unfortunately ultra pro does not make them with the side loading black pockets like the pro binders have :(

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member
PokeGB said:

I buy a box of 100 Ultra-Pro 9-pocket pages from local stores for $19.99. You buy top loaders there, too. For slickeys, I found a store on eBay that sold me a case of 10,000. I am still looking foe jumbo top loaders and deck sleeves.

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member
SoulWind said:
omahanime said:
I put holo and gloss cards in to slickeys and then into Ultra-Pro 9-pocket pages.
Haven't heard of slickeys before! What exactly are they?

That is what I call card sleeves. That is what they are called at a local store, that I have spent too much time and money at. I have been going there for 35 years.

PokePhD

omahanime said:
SoulWind said:
Haven't heard of slickeys before! What exactly are they?

That is what I call card sleeves. That is what they are called at a local store, that I have spent too much time and money at. I have been going there for 35 years.

Oh ok. I was thinking they might be the clear, "perfect-fit" Pokémon sleeves.

I haven't been able to find those *anywhere* online or at the store.

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member
SoulWind said:
omahanime said:

Oh ok. I was thinking they might be the clear, "perfect-fit" Pokémon sleeves.

I haven't been able to find those *anywhere* online or at the store.

I do not like the "perfect-fit". I have received cards in, the card would not come out of it and I had to cut it off. Makes me nervous when it is a super rare card.

PokePhD

omahanime said:
I do not like the "perfect-fit". I have received cards in, the card would not come out of it and I had to cut it off. Makes me nervous when it is a super rare card.
Yikes lol that would make me nervous too.

There are a couple different "perfect-fit" sleeves but I'm sure that could happen with any of them.

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member
SoulWind said:
omahanime said:
Yikes lol that would make me nervous too.

There are a couple different "perfect-fit" sleeves but I'm sure that could happen with any of them.

I have got some from Japan that were nice, but no idea who the manufacturer is.

PokePhD

omahanime said:
Yea those are the ones I'm talking about. Maybe I can ask a seller in Japan. :p

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Forgot to mention, I get the binders in different colors for the languages.

SoulWind said:
omahanime said:
Yea those are the ones I'm talking about. Maybe I can ask a seller in Japan. :p

But I also have got the real bad ones from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.