Games Fire Emblem

Looks like that's a bit under MSRP, so not bad. You might be able to get it cheaper used and/or Ebay, but your call if that's worth it over getting a new copy nice and easily.

If I were to download some DLC packs would it just be on the specific save file, all current save files, or all save files current or future?

All save files current and future. As long as the DLC packs are on your SD card, all files have access to them.

Looks like I get to break the news with a one-year necro.

In other words... Fire Emblem 15 has been confirmed! There's a teaser trailer that was very recently released showcasing some aspects of the game. So far, there seems to be a general Japanese theme, as far as the scenery goes, a mysterious dancer who's probably central to the plot, a hulking stone.... thing, and two warring lords/generals/heros. What do you all think? It's too early to make any real predictions, but there'll be more information to come soon, for sure.

News article from Kotaku about the reveal, including the trailer:
http://kotaku.com/new-fire-emblem-announced-for-3ds-1679423159

EDIT: *checks the 3DS thread a minute later* ...whoops.

Was she supposed to be a dancer? I can see the resemblance, but I assumed it was like a priestess or something dressed the part who would be relevant for the plot. (maybe she's the fire emblem? plot tweeeest)

TwistedTurtwig said:
Looks like I get to break the news with a one-year necro.

EDIT: *checks the 3DS thread a minute later* ...whoops.

Probably best to trying and keep the FEif discussion in this thread anyway, so I'm moving my FE replies to posts in the 3DS thread to this one. :p

Also, yes, I haven't seen it mentioned here yet, but the official Japanese name for this title is "Fire Emblem if", a name that... doesn't work as well in English as it does in Japanese, which is likely why it wasn't given in the International version of the Direct announcement.

Cinesra said:
Was she supposed to be a dancer? I can see the resemblance, but I assumed it was like a priestess or something dressed the part who would be relevant for the plot. (maybe she's the fire emblem? plot tweeeest)

Well, she was actually dancing in the trailer, so that's why most people are assuming she's a dancer of some sort. She also bears a strong resemblance to Ninian, a dancer from the 7th FE (the GBA one known simply as "Fire Emblem" outside of Japan).

I've seen people commenting that she looks like Lucina and/or Olivia as well, though I think that's mostly because FEif has the same character designer as FE:A.

Heavenly Spoon said:
Apparently the pair-up system is back in FE, which has dampened my enthusiasm somewhat. I wasn't really a fan of Awakening (I've only played it for a mere 238 hours!), but part of that was probably also that the level design was horribly bland and the story somehow even less engaging than some of the previous handheld titles, though that might've been me preferring world-building over people stories. Most of it was definitely because of the pair-up system, though, which essentially cut your party in half and removed a large part of the difficulty of training weaker units. I might try not using it from the start and see where that takes me, if it's anything like Awakening Classic/Hard should still be manageable. I do think I prefer the character designs I've seen so far over the Awakening ones, though, and hooray for feet!

For what it's worth, they have an actual manga artist hired to do the story this time, Shin Kibayashi. He's known for works such as GetBackers, Kindaichi Case Files, Detective School Q, and the newest manga based on the Fatal Frame video game series, Fatal Frame: Shadow Priestess. This gives me high hopes for an improved storyline. Not that it would take all that much to have a storyline better than FE:A's. >___>

I wasn't a super fan of pair up in FE:A either (I didn't even really use it much until my first Lunatic playthrough :U), but I have good hopes that the mechanic will be tweaked a bit in FEif. After all, FE:A was the first game that used such a mechanic, so now that the game has been out for a while, IS can work on the mechanic based on more evidence and use than bug testing.

For similar reasons, I have high hopes that maps and chapter objectives may also be improved. It seems like most times a particular game engine in FE is used again, we see a lot of improvements along these lines. Less focus on making a working engine (and particularly in the case of FE:A, making a game with enough bells and whistles that will cater to enough people that they can be assured that the game series won't be cancelled), means that developers can focus more on tweaks and improvements.

Cinesra said:
In other news, I really wasn't expecting a Fire Emblem game before SMTxFE. I don't know much about Intelligent Systems but I had assumed they were fairly small. I guess they have a big enough team to work on two major titles or Atlus has been doing most of the work on SMTxFE.

From what I understand, Atlas is doing basically all of the development work on SMTxFE. Which is also a large part of the reason why almost nothing about the game had been said since the announcement; they're apparently notorious close-lipped.

Athena said:
Well, she was actually dancing in the trailer, so that's why most people are assuming she's a dancer of some sort. She also bears a strong resemblance to Ninian, a dancer from the 7th FE (the GBA one known simply as "Fire Emblem" outside of Japan).
Lel I had forgotten about that part. Pretty clearly a dancer, but the white dress later on made me think priestess or something ceremonial. I do like how the awakening character designer is back. It's a good style that also avoids being samefacey.

Let's all be honest, that new Dancer chick is simply Inigo in a wig. And one of the guys near the end of the trailer looked a bit like Prium. Are Ike clones/descendants/ancestors a staple to the series like Marth clones?

Anyway, I'm rather hyped for it. Awakening was, sadly, the first (and currently only) FE game I've played, and I enjoyed it. So I'm looking forward to seeing how this one will turn out.

The reasons the characters look like Awakening characters is because it's the same character designer. I've heard people comparing the dancer to Lucina and Olivia, too.

Athena said:
I wasn't a super fan of pair up in FE:A either (I didn't even really use it much until my first Lunatic playthrough :U), but I have good hopes that the mechanic will be tweaked a bit in FEif. After all, FE:A was the first game that used such a mechanic, so now that the game has been out for a while, IS can work on the mechanic based on more evidence and use than bug testing.
Yeah, hopefully they'll at least make it so not pairing up can be a valid strategy. I'm not too confident, though. Awakening was far more popular than it deserved to be compared to the other iterations, probably largely because it was far better advertised. I'm afraid they'll be too reluctant to change anything the new crowd will consider standard, and pairing up is exactly that.

I'm not sure what they can do to fix it either, a smaller team of strong units is almost always better than a large team or weaker units (Sacred Stones can be solo'd quite easily with Seth, for example), so once you hit the level cap there should be no reason not to pair up as long as there's no downsides. Pair-ups also means we won't see the far more interesting rescue mechanic again, it means that your team acts inherently different from the enemy team, which thematically feels odd, and it replaces a lot of strategic considerations by adding more luck-based elements in the form of the paired up character attacking. I wouldn't mind team attacks at all, because that promotes more coordinated assaults and interesting formations, but pair up feels like it completely breaks the FE system in a fundamental way. I hope they've found out how to fix it, but I'm not even sure they want to.

Hey, for any and all PokéBeach FE fans:

I'm thinking of doing a humourous, member-based Fire Emblem: Awakening playthrough in the Writer's Café. The idea is to let members pick which units I'm using, and make each unit a member from PokéBeach! People who follow along would also be able to decide on pairings between characters, and also the use of Master/Second Seals.

Would any of you be interesting in following along with such a thing? It would be useful to know if I have an audience since, 1) it's not Pokémon, and B) I would need active input from users throughout the game for Seal usage and stuff at the very least, so I wouldn't bother doing it if no one cares.

I've had a few people comment to me on my Profile or over Skype that they could be interested, but the more the merrier! Feel free to post here, or like this post, or comment to me, or whatever.

So, just in case you missed or chose not to watch yesterday's NIntendo Direct, they've decided to share a good amount of information on the upcoming FE title!

[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/94CCxVMltQY[/video]

Highlights:

• Customizable avatar is back, but this time will be the main Lord instead of a secondary character
  • You can choose to play one of either two paths, siding with the peace-loving Hoshido or the power-hungry Nohr. Hoshido side is more like a traditional FE game, but the Nohr side will be more difficult and different in that you'll be trying to improve the country from within.
  • International release date is sometime 2016
  • The Japanese version comes out this summer and will be released as two separate games, though if you buy one, you can download the second as DLC for cheaper than the retail price, and they also have a special edition that comes with both.
  • There will also be major DLC in the form of a "third" path that will be available for download separately, and also comes with the special edition.
  • It's unknown if the international release will also be sold as two separate games with DLC for the other side, since we haven't gotten any distribution information yet.
  • There appears to be a male Pegasus Knight?!

I am upset it is two different games. I am getting the Nohr one though.....

To be fair, each separate path is apparently as much content by itself as there was in Awakening, so it's not exactly like they're just pulling a Pokémon on us and just releasing 2 different versions that are practically the same. We also don't know if they'll release it separately like that internationally, but even if it's the same as Japan, they're offering the second path as a download option at a good discount (I think 50%?), so you'll be able to get twice as much content for a good price. I think the amount of backlash that this is getting is entirely unwarranted, but then again, the FE fanbase loves to complain, so I suppose I really shouldn't be that surprised.

If the games are totally different I am more than happy to buy both. I do want the Nohr one more because it was said that it has a more complex story, and it was harder. Which is what I want from a strategy game like this! I am still excited for this game!

I think part of the backlash is how they advertise it as you making a choice for which side to ally with/against, but the real choice is which version you buy. The fact that the trailer we saw didn't even mention the two versions could be because we're getting the "Ultimate" version instead like with Bravely Default: for the Sequel or MH4U.

The fact that they're already talking about a DLC third route sounds like day 1 DLC which is always purposefully screwing over the consumer unless it's minor stuff like cosmetics which clearly isn't the case. I'm okay with two separate games if they're different enough to warrant being two separate games and the discount on the other version is nice, should this be true.

also wtf happened to SMT x FE?

SMT x FE also had a trailer in the Direct, but maybe just the Japanese version. It's still go. \o/

I meant what happened to it as in how the hell is that trailer related to either franchise?

I'm hoping that the US release of FE If has both paths in one game. Since they never specified it was two games in the trailer we can always hope.

So who else is pumped to get the chance to play as a sword-wielding, shape-shifter Lord?

I am going to continue playing as the Female character. Why do female avatars always have better designs. Also which side has the Dancer? Because that might sway my decision.

SMTxFE has really, really saddened me. From playing Persona 3 FES and watching some clips of older games the anime aspect of SMT is always down played while in this game it is way too over played. This game is full to the brim with High School anime tropes. In the live chat I was in no one knew what game this was, and when this announced we all agreed to pause and look for Fire Emblem reference before the release. All we could find was Tiki, and we came to the conclusion it was closer to Devil Survivor(Not a main series SMT :C) because it is the most anime SMT game, apparently....

Back