Competitive VG Simple Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: The Competitive Battling Questions Thread

Hatman said:
Hey, would the move Frost Breath (40 BP, always gets critical hits) crit against a Pokemon that has the ability Shell Armor?
No

This may sound like a stupid question but, I'm EV training for the first time and I was wondering, do I gain EVs from trainer battles? (For example, if my Terrakion were to K.O. a NPC's Basculin) would it gain 2 speed EVs?

the aura is with me8 said:
This may sound like a stupid question but, I'm EV training for the first time and I was wondering, do I gain EVs from trainer battles? (For example, if my Terrakion were to K.O. a NPC's Basculin) would it gain 2 speed EVs?

Yes, it would. Its just like if it were a wild Pokemon.

I've just managed to unlock Landorus (lucky me) in my Black version. I know that Landorus is a very threatening Pokemon, so I've heard, and that it's predominantly physical, having access to Swords Dance, Rock Polish. Edit: Oh dang, it gets Explosion too...!!
However, I browsed over its movepool and I found that it's also got some options as a special attacker, having access to Earth Power, Psychic, Grass Knot, Focus Blast, and even Sludge Bomb/Wave (not that it's ever used, but still). So, keeping in mind that I'll probably want a +Speed nature, is a mixed Landorus possible (and if so, what would be a good skeleton set to work from), or should I just go all out physical?

(The mixed would be Naive, and the physical would be Jolly.)

Landorus @ Life Orb
72 Atk / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive
-Hidden Power [Ice]
-Grass Knot
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

Generally, this is better for surprise value rather than actual strength. It can be a good lure, or a partner for other pokemon like Excadrill.

Let's say I have a Timburr with its egg moves and place it in the Daycare, and those new moves are learned over the egg moves.

Can the move rememberer let Timburr remember the Egg moves?

I may be wrong, but if Timburr can learn the Egg moes via Move Tutor, then I think it can learn the moves. So, for example, if you wanted to breed a Timburr with Mach Punch, and you put it in the daycare and something like Chip Away replaced Mach Punch in the daycare, it can re-learn Mach Punch(but Timburr can't learn Mach Punch via Move Tutor, so it would have to be a move that is an Egg Move AND a Move Tutor move). Sorry if I am wrong.

If your looking for advice for what to do with Hydriegon,here's what I did:
~MOVESET~
Flamethrower/Fire Blast(Covers the weaknesses to Ice and Bug.)
Dragon Pulse(STAB and it covers weakness to Dragon)
Earth Power/Dark Pulse(Boath of which are egg moves.)
Surf(BECAUSE!!)
~EFFORT VALUES(EVs)~
252 Sp.Attack
252 Speed
6 (Doesn't matter)
NATURE:
Modest

Don't let it's pre-evolutions fool you.Hydriegon is almost as popular as Volcarona when it comes to Special sweepers.

You want to have a Timid nature, as Hydreigon isn't amazingly fast. Choosing between Choice Specs, Choice Scarf, and Life Orb really depends on your team. Go with Draco Meteor over Dragon Pulse, Flamethrower, Earth Power over Dark Pulse, and obviously, Surf.

Modest is much better. It dosen't really outspeed anything to notable with Timid. It gives it the most power possible for it to abuse the strongest Draco Meteor in the game.

Why are items such as Brightpowder and the like banned on pokebeach's server of PO?

Guys, I'm a bit confused with EV Training...
I'm trying to EV train a Shuckle. It has pokérus and Macho brace. Its current defense stat is 309 and it is at level 59.
If I kill, for example, a Durant for 2 Def EVs, with pokérus and macho brace, it becomes 8 EVs, right?
Since a pokémon gets 1 more stat point for each 4 EVs earned, then with those 8 EVs, it gets 2 stats points, of course.
But what happens is that I killed a Durant and its Defense only increased 1 stat point (310). What's the problem? Am I thinking right?
(btw, I already used 10 Irons on it, so it already has 100 Def EVs. Does that affect anything?)

You only see the full benefit at level 100 because of how the exact formula for stats work. The reason it factors in level is to make it so you can't have say a level 20 Gyarados with 120 Attack. You are correct that the Pokemon gains 8 EVs.

^It was; in B/W the stats automatically change to reflect the EVs after every battle - so the Durant probably got the benefit way before it leveled up.
I was training my Solosis against Victini for HP EVs (gaining 7 per fight); it gained only 3 HP when it leveled up, but its HP increased by 7 on the way there due to all the EVs it got (so it effectively gained 10 HP upon leveling).

The point is that the final part is x (level / 100). So if you're Pokemon is under level 100, you won't see the full effect.

4 EVs are required to do anything, you can have 510 evs, but if you have, say, 252 in ATK, 252 in Spe, and 4 in HP, that's all you need. You have a leftover 2 but they don't do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back