Competitive VG Simple Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: The Competitive Battling Questions Thread

Ah yes, but if you wish to rely on a tad bit of luck, it is possible. Without the Power items, three IVs are going to be transferred randomly from the parents to the child (Smogon has an article somewhere that details this). The Power items simply take the randomness out the equation... for one IV. That's not bad, though, because relying on luck to transfer one IV from a parent isn't nearly as hard as two.

Anyway, if you want the best way (or at least, the way I would approach it [if I wasn't going to RNG]), read on:

1. Grab a female Roggenrola.
  2. Give the Yamask an Everstone.
  3. Breed the two together until you get a Female Roggenrola with the nature you want.
  4. Give one of the Power items to the Yamask (the one that corresponds to the IV you want to pass on).
  5. Give an Everstone to the newly bred Roggenrola.
  6. Breed the two together until you have a Roggenrola with the nature and IVs you want.

^thanks for your advice, but I thought that it is impossible to breed a baby pokemon with it's parent. Is this true?

That only applies to Generation 2 games. With Generation 3 onward you can do that now. (Yes, I know it's strange, so don't ask.)

Route 18 is your only choice. Route 4 and Desert Resort have sandstorms, which mess everything up.

I would think so, but if they do, not nearly as much as a sandstorm.

I have a good question - Why is Registeel in UU/NU? It has INSANE defences, and

(Curse + Amnesia + Attacking Moves)

Tortonic said:
I have a good question - Why is Registeel in UU/NU? It has INSANE defences, and

(Curse + Amnesia + Attacking Moves)

Just because you have excellent defenses doesn't instantly make you OU. Steelix has an insane base Defense. So do Bastiodon, Aggron, Probopass, Deoxys-D, Torkoal, and Golem. The reason why they don't get more usage is because the all have faults. Steelix has a low Sp. Def, and won't survive most Fire-, Water-, and Fighting-type attacks. Not only that, but he lacks recovery outside of Rest. Bastidon has a horrible typing, low HP, and lackluster offenses, meaning that he really can't fight back outside of Toxic. Aggron suffers from a horrible typing and lack of recovery. Probopass has low HP, a bad typing, no recovery, and horrible offenses. Deoxys-D has low HP, bad offenses, and it's pursuit weak. Tokoal has weakness to Stealth Rock, low Sp. Defense, and lack of reliable recovery making it very outclassed by almost everything. Golem has a horrible typing and no recovery.

Registeel is okay, but he's really slow and is weak to three common attacking moves -- Fire, Fighting, and Ground -- which makes it hard for him to stand up to most threats. He lacks recovery and decent offenses, making it easy for a Pokemon to switch in and set up easily. Excadrill is just an example. He doesn't fear a Toxic or Thunder Wave and can setup one or two SD on Registeel. Garchomp hates Toxic, but he can setup a SD and beat Registeel with Earthquake.

Also, Curse plus Amnesia is hard to pull off, and it only leaves you with two attacking moves, which gives you very little coverage meaning you can easily be phazed out. Pokemon like Quagsire, Gastrodon, Sigyliph do the job of annoyingly boosting defenses so much better with Stockpile and Cosmic Power since both of the moves boost both defenses, as opposed to Registeel needing two moves to boost his defenses.

Also, keep in mind that tiers are based off of usage.

What happens when a Banette with insomnia or leafeon with leaf guard in sunlight uses rest?

Also, what is a good offensive set for jellicent?

What happens when a Banette with insomnia or leafeon with leaf guard in sunlight uses rest?
Rest will automatically fail.

As for Jellicent, it's not offensive - it's defensive, bulky, and annoying. It's great for switching into things, having three immunities (Fighting, Normal, and Water if it has Water Absorb), several resistances, and good HP and Special Defense. I don't have much experience with Jellicent myself, but I've heard good things about it. Not sure about what set to give it though.

Speaking of which, I'd like to know exactly how Jellicent works myself. I'd like to build a set sometime and I'm not sure what to go for. I notice it gets Acid Armor, Confuse Ray, and Pain Split as egg moves, and wonder if any of them are worth it. (Well, I KNOW Acid Armor will be worth it; I'm just wondering if it can fit.)

DNA said:
Speaking of which, I'd like to know exactly how Jellicent works myself. I'd like to build a set sometime and I'm not sure what to go for. I notice it gets Acid Armor, Confuse Ray, and Pain Split as egg moves, and wonder if any of them are worth it. (Well, I KNOW Acid Armor will be worth it; I'm just wondering if it can fit.)

Well, Pain Split is kind of outclassed by Recover, but I'm unsure about using Acid Armor. It might work well as a gimmick to increase you below average Defense. Btw, the average Jellicent set looks like this:

EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Nature: Bold
Item: Leftovers
Moves:
Boiling Water / Surf
Recover
Will-O-Wisp
Taunt

Boiling Water is for if you want to burn Fire-types, who are immune to WoW, although Surf has more power. Recover is your standard recovery move. WoW is to cripple physical sweepers, who would otherwise give Jellicent trouble considering its Defense is it's lowest defensive stat. Taunt is to stop anything from setting up on you.

Bold nature is to give you more physical bulk, 44 Speed EVs are to outspeed minnimum speed Scizor so you can burn it before it can Pursuit you to death. The rest of the EVs is to increase your physical bulk.

I've seem a couple of Water Spout Jellicent in double/triple battles, but yeah in singles he doesn't really have much purpose as an offensive Pokemon. Defensive Spin Blocker is the way to go, naturally partnered with dudes like Ferrothorn and Forretress.

Honestly, Jellicent is horrible in Trick Room. It has a decent enough Speed that gets it destroyed by everyone...but since you insist:

Jellicent (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 252 HP, 52 Def, 204 SDef
-Trick Room
-Water Spout
-Ice Beam
-Safegaurd

Hey, would the move Frost Breath (40 BP, always gets critical hits) crit against a Pokemon that has the ability Shell Armor?

@Hatman Probably not.

Is there an easy way to get 31 (or 30) IVs for a stat, or is it just pure luck?

You can breed parents with an IV like that and a Power item, but then you still have to get the parent. No, the easiest way is most certainly RNG abuse (watch this and this for an easy tutorial on that).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back