Build A Better Format #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
iisnumber12 said:
I like the dialga, but I think you should be allowed to attack that turn.

R u kidding? A free professor oak every turn atleast being on a trainer/ item each time u have to draw into it. Imagine having two dialga exes. The only remote downfall is that it would b a dead opening Pokemon. Then again u can just sift through your deck in like one turn for an answer to that. Dialga ex has got to b the worst idea I've ever heard.

spiritomb said:
R u kidding? A free professor oak every turn atleast being on a trainer/ item each time u have to draw into it. Imagine having two dialga exes. The only remote downfall is that it would b a dead opening Pokemon. Then again u can just sort through your deck in like one turn for an answer to that. Dialga ex has got to b the worst idea I've ever heard.

Well thanks for your support. Any other ideas that actually might be constructive towards the goal? The having 2 Dialga could be easily fixable by saying "You can only use *insert ability name* once per turn"

It could have uses. I just think that the random searches through ur prizes are bound to get u nothing u need to often. Plus they draw 3 prizes from knocking it out is a deterrent
27th_wonder said:
Dialga EX {DRG} 170HP basic

ability: Time capsule

once per game, you can look at your face down prize cards and then add one of them to your hand. If you do this, this card is placed on top of your prize pile instead of being discarded when it is knocked out. You cannot use this ability if you have 2 or less prize cards

Vortex Hammer 60
{M}{M}{C}

both players shuffle their hands into their decks. Then, each player draws cards equal to the amount in their respective prize piles.
So no down fall until they knock it out. I c no reason to resurrect it so the downfall isn't even a downfall
weakness:{DRG}
Retreat:{C}{C}{C}

[EX rule]

N w/damage and an improved alph liphograph FOUR that has been balanced out by dialga being prized later, if your opponent can knock it out

How about a stadium that says when ever your Pokemon is knocked out by an opponents attack search ur deck for one card and add it to ur hand. It says by an opponents attack so that u can't create some broken synergy. Also it only works when u r losing a Pokemon or just losing. It easily would make each player think when to knock out a Pokemon thus it should entice strategy.

It's a sound concept and would actually be a really cool card. However, it's not searchable, so it's no more helpful in fixing a dead hand than a Supporter is.

Celebi23 said:
Lol, that's uh really different. Aside from being very broken, how does discard the opponent's Pokemon-EX boost your deck's consistency? And I could see Palkia creating a lot of the same problems Junk Arm created.

I said it would be different. And I never said that the Dialgia would boost consistancy, but I could be useful to get rid of Darkrai/Mewtwo and give you enough time to set up a stage 2.

Celebi23 said:
It's a sound concept and would actually be a really cool card. However, it's not searchable, so it's no more helpful in fixing a dead hand than a Supporter is.

Skyla searches it. Also having the best hand or a sound hand is not healthy or practical in any card game. There is a reason y u shuffle ur deck between games.

27th_wonder said:
Dialga EX {DRG} 170HP basic

ability: Time capsule

once per game, you can look at your face down prize cards and then add one of them to your hand. If you do this, this card is placed on top of your prize pile instead of being discarded when it is knocked out. You cannot use this ability if you have 2 or less prize cards

Vortex Hammer 60
{M}{M}{C}

both players shuffle their hands into their decks. Then, each player draws cards equal to the amount in their respective prize piles.

weakness:{DRG}
Retreat:{C}{C}{C}

[EX rule]

N w/damage and an improved alph liphograph FOUR that has been balanced out by dialga being prized later, if your opponent can knock it out

That's too cheap. Drop 4 Dialga EX, activate all of them, and now you have to KO 2 Pokemon or 1 Pokemon EX to win. I'd make it soo the ability can only be used once per game regardless of any other effects, and the Dalga EX s placed n your prizes right away, since against a deck that can't KO it easly, dropping a Dialga EX is equivalent to taking a prize as it is.
Keeper Of Night said:
I said it would be different. And I never said that the Dialgia would boost consistancy, but I could be useful to get rid of Darkrai/Mewtwo and give you enough time to set up a stage 2.

The topic of this week if you read the OP was increasing consistency,,,

Since we're all making Dialga EX cards, time to join the bandwagon.

Dialga EX

Ability: Time Grabber
When you play Dialga EX onto your bench, you may search your deck for a card and put it in the Lost Zone. At the start of your second turn after this effect's activation, add the card from the Lost Zone to your hand.

Gold Sarcrophagus anyone?

In ur original post u said it was fairly easy to win in opponening turn y would u want the ability to search it out. Isn't that y u said that that pidgeot was overpowered.

Huh celebi

Sure but this Dialga only nets you one card, and your opponent can see it for two turns before ts added to your hand. This means you have to think ahead and do some careful planning, and so does your opponent since they have to think of the comboes you can perform with the card you searched for. It also means that your opponent has more than enough time to set up even if you use this on the first turn, so it can't be used for donks. I think you're referrng to my card anyway, right?

Keeper Of Night said:
But that doesn't help consistency at all. And it's still way too broken.

"I'll play Ultra Ball to search Darkrai, play two Dark Patches, attach Eviolite, attach energy, retreat, and Night Spear."

"Uh, I'll drop Dialga and use its Ability. You just wasted 8 cards."
spiritomb said:
Skyla searches it. Also having the best hand or a sound hand is not healthy or practical in any card game. There is a reason y u shuffle ur deck between games.
I didn't suggest your idea should be searchable. I suggested we need to make a searchable clutch draw card, and that your idea won't help us achieve that purpose.
spiritomb said:
In ur original post u said it was fairly easy to win in opponening turn y would u want the ability to search it out. Isn't that y u said that that pidgeot was overpowered.

Huh celebi

No need to be so in my face. I never said anything supporting anybody's idea. I simply suggested that clutch draw should be searchable. Your idea would not work as clutch draw, because it offers too much search power. I was not saying your idea should be made into a searchable Pokemon, only that clutch draw should be searchable. The idea of clutch draw is to get you out of a dead hand. Usually, if you have a Skyla, your hand isn't dead since you can search a Juniper or something. Furthermore, Skyla won't be out until November, and we're not looking at this based on any particular format.

I wrote "huh celebi" just so u knew who I was talking to. The post was originally meant to be attached my previous post. But someone else posted in between. No harm intended. Plus u said no particular format was intended so Skyla is fair game. Also u never asked for a clutch card.., or at least what u consider a clutch card.

Also Skyla is a supporter and u will then risk getting n'd or judged.

Dark Void said:
That's too cheap. Drop 4 Dialga EX, activate all of them, and now you have to KO 2 Pokemon or 1 Pokemon EX to win.

That's why the first 3 words of his effect were 'once per game', so you couldn't drop 4 of them for easy victory.

27th_wonder said:
That's why the first 3 words of his effect were 'once per game', so you couldn't drop 4 of them for easy victory.

Sorry. I missed that. My mistake.

Absol {D} HP 90
Ability Lonesome:
Once during your turn, before you attack, you may show your hand to your opponent. If there are no Pokemon in your hand, you may search your deck for a Pokemon card, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards.

{D}{D} Slash 50

Weakness: Fighting +20
Resistance: Psychic -20
Retreat: 1

Exeggcute {G} HP 50
Ability Eggsplosive Evolution:
You may evolve Exeggcute, even if it came into play this turn.

{C} Rollout 10

Weakness: Fire +10
Resistance: Water -20
Retreat: 1

Exeggutor {P} HP 100
Ability Blunderous Draw:
Once during your turn, before you attack, you may look at the top three cards of your deck. Place one card into your hand. Place one card on the bottom of your deck. Discard one card.

{G}{C} Coconut Cutter 10x
This attack does 10 damage times the number of Supporter cards in your discard pile.

Weakness: Fire +20
Resistance: Water +20
Retreat: 2

Basically it allows for a quick setup of a Stage 1 Draw Engine. Absol will get your either Exeggcute or Exeggutor, and you will be able to play them immediately, meaning you can use multiple Absol. It's balanced because you can whiff pretty badly with your setup if you get stuck with an Exeggutor in your opening hand. However if you do manage to get an Exeggutor or two in play, then you have the ability to look at the top 3-6 cards of your deck, remove the cards that would damage consistency later in the game (possibly the remaining Absol in your deck), get the cards that you need, and save resources for later. Its pretty much everything that this format needs.

I've got a couple.

Electrode {L} HP90

Ability: Detonate
Once during your turn (before you attack) You may Knock Out Electrode and discard all cards attached to it. Attach Electrode to 1 of your pokemon. This card now provides 2 of all energy. Treat this card as a Tool. You can't use more than 1 "Detonate" a turn

{L}{C} Spark 30
Flip a coin, if heads the defending Pokemon is Paralysed

Weakness: {F} x2 Resistance: Retrest Cost: 0

Energy acceleration all decks can use, but at a cost of course. Its stats are pretty balanced and its attack is a clear indication that is shouldn't be attacking, but if you chose to, you get a nice 50/50 chance of paralysis. I've tried to make it a balanced as i can with the Ability by making it a tool so any attack or trainers that discards tools will discard Electrode and i've limited it to 1 per turn so you can't do any "5 energy in 1 turn" shenanigans, but of course if you were to do so you'd be giving up 2 prizes and a simple Tool Scrapper would be devastating.

Porygon {C} 40HP

Ability: Upload
Once during your turn (Before you attack) If Porygon is your active pokemon you may look at the top 7 cards of your deck. You may chose any Trainer-Item card you find and show it to your opponent and put it in your hand. Shuffle the rest of the cards into your deck. You can't use more than 1 "Upload" a turn.

{C} Tackle 10

Weakness: {F} x2 Resistance: Retreat Cost: 0

Now while making this i thought to myself "This could be pretty overpowered" so i gave it low HP so it's easily donkable and made sure you can't use it's Ability more than once a turn. I've also given it a retreat cost of 2 so you'd have to be ready to either waste a DCE getting it back to the bench, giving up a prize by leaving Porygon active or having to run a high amount of Switch. The idea behind this was just to give stage 2 decks the chance to be able to fish out Rare Candys, but having the ability to potentially search out any item (if it's lurking in the top 7 cards of your deck) is pretty good. however it shares the same weakness a Pokégear 3.0 - you could either whiff an Item card completely or you may end up finding something you don't want.

Dropping it's retreat cost down to 1 would make it alot more splashable in decks, and wouldn't make it anymore of a threat as it ability is limited to 1 a turn. Hmm... Might change its retreat cost to 1....

*****Update******

Changed Porygons stats and gave it a retreat cost of 0. Thanks goes to TheBugManiac for pointing out the pros of a free retreat cost for Porygon while explaining how it's still balanced.

That Porygon is probably the best idea I‘ve seen in this thread so far. It‘s powerful, it‘s universally usable, and it‘s balanced. This would really speed Stage 2 decks up without making them dominate, because faster decks and toolboxes would really like it too.

I would even reduce the retreat cost to zero. Any turn it spends in the Active spot will probably be its last turn anyway, and it having a retreat cost would be more detrimental for slow decks than for fast decks. Let‘s say your main attacker is a powerful, bulky Stage 2 that requires three energies to attack. If you start with Porygon and don‘t have a switch, your first attack just got pushed back a turn. If a Donphan deck (or any other fast Stage 1) were to start with Porygon, however, it would not slow them down at all. This makes it easier for rush decks to run several Porygons, which would be somewhat counterproductive.

Man i could keep going with these ideas all day. Such a shame we're limited to 5. But that just makes you think a little harder instead of just posting "Trainer- Item: Bill: draw 7 cards, herp, derp.

Jirachi {M} 60HP

Ability: Wishful Thinking
Once during your turn (Before you attack) If you played Jirachi from your hand onto the bench you may search your deck for a supporter card and discard it. You then use the effect of that Supporter card. (You cannot use this Ability if you have already play a Supporter for the turn) (You cannot play a supporter normally for this turn). you can't use more than 1 "Wishful Thinking" a turn.

{M} Grudge
Move upto 3 damage counters from any of your pokemon and place them onto your opponents pokemon in any way you like.

Weakness: {R} x2 Resistance: {P} -20 Retreat Cost: {C}

The wording seems a little confusing, but basically you can't use a supporter card once you've used Jirachi's Ability, however at the same time, to stop people from simply just using a Supporter then dropping Jirachi, you can't use it's Ability if you played a Supporter card already.

This is pretty much a combination of Uxie LA and Sableye SF.

I'm sure most of you have been in a position were you wanted to use a specific Supporter but didn't have it in your hand and had no way to search for it. Well Jirachi can search out it. Think of it as a searchable Supporter.

The attack isn't half-bad but of course the type requirement limits it to {M} decks, but the true beauty lies in the Ability. Standard stats, nothing to talk about in that area.

Why not:

A pokemon star (Like the ones in Back to the Basics) that acts as a PONT once then goes to the lost zone.

spiritomb said:
I wrote "huh celebi" just so u knew who I was talking to. The post was originally meant to be attached my previous post. But someone else posted in between. No harm intended. Plus u said no particular format was intended so Skyla is fair game. Also u never asked for a clutch card.., or at least what u consider a clutch card.

Also Skyla is a supporter and u will then risk getting n'd or judged.

Oh, misinterpreted the "huh", sorry.

Right, but we were discussing clutch draw at the time I made my post.

And if they shuffle your hand back after Skyla, that might fix your hand anyway. It certainly won't make it any worse than if they N after you play a draw supporter for a new hand.

@Emperor- Why not just make it like this?: http://pokebeach.com/scans/ex-legend-maker/8-lapras.jpg

Huh... Had no idea such a card already existed. To be honest it would be slightly better than my Jirachi idea as it doesn't force you to use the Supporter straight away and it's still incredibly splashable as at most you just have to run 1 in the deck. The only upside to Jirachi being the better retreat cost compared to Lapras if you were to ever start with it.

Looks like it's back to the drawing board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back