5th Gen Competitive Movesets and Metagame

I was hoping to get a rate ,so that way when it does get released,I can take the advice given and train from there.Besides,I don't see an area for VGC sets.When I said that my pokemon's Attack would be doubled,I was including the bonus from DD as well.Last time I checked,one stat modifier(Moxie)plus one stat modifier(DD)equals two.

I like how you never ever fill in the last 4 EVs. They do matter.
I don't understand why you post your sets, because most of the time they're either gimmicky and ineffective or a slight variation on a standard set that makes it less effective. For example, the Salamence you posted above is the same thing as a smogon Salamence just with an illegal ability and a move change and nature that are important. I'm not trying to flame you, I'm just trying to understand.

First of all,I'VE NEVER BEEN TO SMOGON!If you think I'm perpousely copying their sets,you're way off.I'm tired off seeing the same set's over and over again.It seems as if there's hardly any creativity.

Red Striker said:
I was hoping to get a rate ,so that way when it does get released,I can take the advice given and train from there.
The thing is, its hard to get comments on a set that no one has ever used, because its illegal right now.

Red Striker said:
First of all,I'VE NEVER BEEN TO SMOGON!If you think I'm perpousely copying their sets,you're way off.I'm tired off seeing the same set's over and over again.It seems as if there's hardly any creativity.

*purposely
the reason they are uncreative is because they are generally better and thus, more commonly used in competitive play. You should really go to Smogon to learn a few things.

Guys need some help. I am running a SubCM Rachi on my rain team.

Jirachi@Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
Nature: Timid
252HP/4def/252speed
-Substitute
-Calm Mind
-Water Pulse
-Thunder

I am not too sure about the EV spread so any suggestions will be taken and tested. You can also change the moves if you think something would be better.

I'm not sure if you can do Double Battles competitively, but I'll post this because I had a lot of fun with it.
Beheeyem+Ferrothorn

Beheeyem
Nature: Quiet
Ability: Synchronize
ev's 252 Def 252 SpA 4 SpD
Moves~
Trick Room
Simple Beam
Psychic
Psychoshock

Ferrothorn
Nature: Brave
Ability: Iron Barbs
ev's 252 Att 4 Def 252 SpD
Moves~
Curse
Power Whip
Metal Claw
Ingrain

This set requires a bit of setup, so you'll have to use your judgement on if you want to skip one of the steps or not, and which one to skip.
1. Beheeyem uses Simple Beam on Ferrothorn
2. Ferrothorn uses Curse, sharply lowering its speed and sharply raising its Attack and Defense.
3. Beheeyem uses Trick Room.
4. Ferrothorn EITHER uses Curse again OR uses an attacking move. Power Whip is really strong, but not accurate. Metal Claw is weak but accurate and it may sharply raise your attack. Ingrain is used when you feel necessary.

Note: A lot of people can replace Ferrothorn, such as Escavalier with Swords Dance (+4 attack with Simple Beam) or Cofagrigus with Calm Mind (doubles special attack and special defense). Pretty much anyone who is slow and has a stat raising move can come in.

You would probably prefer Gyro Ball in place of Metal Claw there. With Ferrothorn lowering its speed, Gyro Ball reaches absurdly high base powers. I think it'll hit most opponents for 150 base damage after a Simple Curse.

I came up with a pretty cool Ivysaur set, but I need to be sure it's good before I get one / start EV training.

002.png
@ Eviolite
Chlorophyll
Bold
252 HP 120 Speed 136 Def.
Giga Drain
Leech Seed
Hidden Power [Fire]
Synthesis

Use this is a sun team for the following reasons:
-2/3 recovery with Synthesis
-Increased power with Hidden Power [Fire].
-Outspeeds base 100’s with increased speed nature and 252 EV’s because of Chlorophyll.

The strategy here is to pull off a Leech Seed because you don't get Leftovers recovery with Eviolite and free damage on the opponent is always good.
Then wither them down with Giga Drain or HP [Fire]. Giga Drain will majorly help with recovery because you attack them and you get health back. If you need lots of recovery fast and you don't think Giga Drain will cut it, use Synthesis to get a great 2/3 of your HP back. Seems pretty hard to take down to me. What do you think?

SpecsPolitoed Modset vs 252 HP / 252 Sp. Def Calm Venasaur: 52.7% - 62.1%
SpecsPolitoed Modset vs 252 HP / 252 Sp. Def Calm Eviolite Ivysaur: 45.1% - 53.7%

I don't think it's worth it for a little bit more bulk. Venasaur can also run Leftovers, Life Orb, and has higher Speed and Sp. Atk.

Because he isn't used and deserves some respect:

images

Deoxys-D@Red Card
Bold
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sp. Def
~ Recover
~ Recycle
~ Toxic
~ Stealth Rock

Total taunt bait, ikr? But still, Bold nature to maximize defense, with 252 HP EVs there because the HP is pretty crappy, 252 Def maximizes Def, with 4 Sp. Def being there just cuz. Red Card is unique, as when the holder is hit, the attacker gets swapped to something else, and with this, Recycle can make a good trolling partner. Recover is there for a recovery move, Toxic is to maximize damage, and Stealth Rock to also help with boosting damage.

your Deoxys is a pretty good staller, with 400-something Defense, Toxic to slowly but surely kill off your opponents, Stealth Rock is good too, but Recycle and Recover are pretty poor choices. I would suggest like maybe 1 or 2 Offensive moves, like Psychic or Psyshock.

Now for my girl:

Blackheart (Giratina) @ Griseous Orb
Nature-Modest
252 Health EV, 126 Sp. Defense EV, 126 SP. Attack EV
-Hyper Beam
-Shadow Ball
-Dragon Pulse
-Psychic
This baby, she's my Special Tank. She can withstand a whole lot of damage (She had 427 HP at Lv.99, and she was EV free!!) and can damage quite a bit while she's at it. Hyper Beam has a massive damage output, and since she's essentially a Tank, the 1-turn immobility really doesn't hurt that much. Shadow Ball is just a standard Ghost move, nothing special here. Dragon Pulse can help with Haxorus line-ups and other Dragons, other than that, nothing really that special. Psychic is a beast, with a power of 100 at my fingertips, killing off Fighting builds and having a slight chance of confusion. Her item, Griseous Orb, makes her Levitate and look cool at the same time.

Okay bro, before you can even be took seriously when rating someone's set, you need to learn how to play Pokemon competitively. The first indication that you don't? Hyper Beam. When you recharge, your opponent gets one free turn, basically. One free turn wins your opponent the game. Period. Next off, Giratina-O is a sweeper, not a tank. You need to maximize it's speed and Special Attack if you want it to function well. And even if it was a tank, you gave it offensive moves only. That's just redundant. No one's going to switch a Fighting-type Pokemon into Giratina anyways, so why even bother with psychic? Giratina-O works best as a Mixed Sweeper or a Calm Mind abuser. So please, before you post your next set, do a little research. It allows us to help you and allows you to help yourself. I'm not flaming, I'm just trying to help.

Here's what I'd do:

Attack version of Giratina:

Giratina@Griseous Orb
Nature:Adamant
Ability:Levitate
EVs:252 Attack,252 Speed,6 Defense
Moveset:
Shadow Force/Shadow Sneak
Hone Claws
Dragon Claw/Outrage
Stone Edge

This is a common set I use.If I'm not mistaken,the only thing Giratina has to raise it's Attack is Hone Claws,so use that first thing.While Shadow Force does have excellent power,it gives your opponent time do something else to change the game a bit,which is why most of us go with Shadow Sneak.It has the Power of 72(after STAB and Griseous Orb)with a priority.Dragon Claw doesn't have any harmfull effects,but if you're in a Double Battle,Outrage won't have any either if you have your secondary pokemon use Safeguard to prevent Confusion.Finally,Stone Edge is to take out Ice-types.

Sp.Attack version of Giratina:

Giratina@Griseous Orb
Nature:Modest
Ability:Levitate
EVs:252 Sp.Attack,252 Speed,6 Defense
Moveset:
Shadow Ball
Calm Mind
Dragon Pulse
Aura Sphere

In this case,Giratina is just another Calm Mind abuser.Shadow Ball is for STAB and to KO other Ghost-types.Dragon Pulse is also for STAB and other Dragons.Finally,Aura Sphere is to KO opposing Ice-types and for a better type coverage.

I've never really used Giratina for a hazard...

I would try to do that, next Giratina i get. mines already lv.100 and i EV trained her in Health, Special Defense, and Special Attack. I could try changing her moveset, but she's in my SoulSilver game and I don't have a spare DS to transfer her over. I will keep your suggestions in mind, in case i get lucky and find Giratina in an Adamant or Modest nature. And ShadowLugia is right. I really need to learn how to play competitive. i just use moves that work for me casually.

Shadow Force shouldn't even be an option. It gives your opponent a free turn, which can be used to switch to a Normal or Steel type. Not to mention the move Protect. You also let them recover health in that turn or status you on the next turn.

supergamerfreak said:
your Deoxys is a pretty good staller, with 400-something Defense, Toxic to slowly but surely kill off your opponents, Stealth Rock is good too, but Recycle and Recover are pretty poor choices. I would suggest like maybe 1 or 2 Offensive moves, like Psychic or Psyshock.
Recycle and Recover aren't poor at all, and the offensive moves are worthless because its attack and special attack are terrible. Recycle is also the key move for the set to reuse the Red Card and Recover gives good recovery.

Ah, I missed that, but it still doesn't stop your opponent from just switching to something immune/resistant or spamming status/recovering.

Tyrant Tyranitar said:
Because he isn't used and deserves some respect:

images

Deoxys-D@Red Card
Bold
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sp. Def
~ Recover
~ Recycle
~ Toxic
~ Stealth Rock

Total taunt bait, ikr? But still, Bold nature to maximize defense, with 252 HP EVs there because the HP is pretty crappy, 252 Def maximizes Def, with 4 Sp. Def being there just cuz. Red Card is unique, as when the holder is hit, the attacker gets swapped to something else, and with this, Recycle can make a good trolling partner. Recover is there for a recovery move, Toxic is to maximize damage, and Stealth Rock to also help with boosting damage.

Another problem I can see with the set is it can't do a thing to Steel-type Pokemon such as Ferrothorn. While Ferrothorn would be forced out upon using Gyro Ball or Power Whip, it could paralyze the Deoxys which could cause problems with being able to reuse the Red Card and healing. Skarmory also can have its way setting up as many layers of Spikes as it would like. A Pokemon with Toxic can also ruin your set. Gliscor is able to set up as many Swords Dance as it would like as can Excadrill.

Back