5th Gen Competitive Movesets and Metagame

BreadFat

Steadfast
Movesets

As you know there was a creative movesets thread for other generations, and lately I have been seeing quite a few threads on movesets. So to clear all the clutter, post all competitive movesets for 5th Gen here! With posting the moveset, there will also be requirements:

- You MUST include EV's and a Nature!
- You obviously must put down the Pokemon's name and the moves
- Add a description describing the moveset and it's general goals.

Here's a sample layout:

Code:
Pokemon's Name @ Item
Nature: Pokemon's Nature
EV's: HP/Atk/Def/SpA/SpD/Spd
- Move 1
- Move 2
- Move 3
- Move 4

Description: Description of your moveset here.

Feel free to post any new movesets you might think work or critique other's movesets for improvement.

Metagame

Discuss changes in the current 5th Generation Metagame here. Talk about Pokemon and their effects on the metagame. Maybe a Pokemon was moved up a tier and it created a big shift. You can talk about Pokemon's potential and use this generation, or anything else related this this generation's new meta.

AliceGirl1

Aspiring Trainer
RE: 5th Gen Competitive Movesets

I have 1 though I really want to try it out:

Zoroark @ life orb
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 Sp Atk 252 Speed 4 HP
-Night Daze
-Nasty Plot
-Flamethrower
-Shadow Ball

Simply special atk sweeper, found out that he comes in very handy with his illusion ability since I'll turn him into something fighting or ghost which makes the opp use psychic (which is unaffective) or dark/ghost moves which are not very effective...

Hyperion64

Aspiring Trainer

I would remove shadow ball on that set and replace it with focus blast. Also, change the nature to timid.

I have never really seen any escavelier move sets, so I decided to make one of my own:

Escavelier
-swords dance
-mega horn
-iron head
-pursuit
252 hp 252 atk 4 sp def
Life orb/leftovers
Swarm
Adamant/brave

This is a throwback to some old snorlax sets that were popular in gens 2-3. My strategy is to use swords dance then follow it up with some powerful attacks. This is best used in trick room teams, as it is immensely slow.

psycho hand

Wait... I'm supposed to put text here?

After a swords dance, you're not gonna need megahorn; as far as I know, he can learn twineedle, which would be a much better choice. It allows you to break a sub then hit the pokemon on the next attack. It's for the same reason shell smash cloyster has icicle spear over ice beam.

I've realized that there seems to be no particular disscussion on Eelectross. It has no weakness (other than haxorus), access to acid spray, a large special movepool, mixed capabilities, U-turn/volt switch, and coil for the physical side of things. One of his only drawbacks is his speed, but he has decent hp to boot. So I've gone ahead and made a moveset for this thing:

Mixed attacker

Eelektross (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 156 HP / 120 Atk / 232 SAtk
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Grass Knot
- Wild Charge
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

This does not need it's speed; it's too slow for the evs to work. Instead, I invested the evs into hp instead, too increase it's surviveability. This thing can break down stall teams easily if played correctly. Grass knot takes down (heavy) bulky waters, while wild charge takes out the specially defensive walls (blissy and jellicent are examples), flamethrower takes out ferrothorn, forretress, scizor, escavelier, and other steel type pokemon that would otherwise wall this set completely. U-turn scouts offensive teams and also deals with the likes of musharna, reuniclus, and other bulky psychic type pokemon.

AadmM

Doin' It Right

I'd like some feedback on a Whimsicott moveset I have in mind:

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Nature: Timid
Ability: Infiltrator
EV's: 252 Spd / 148 Sp. Def / 108 Def
- Substitute
- Giga Drain
- Hurricane
- Endeavor

The big thing here is Endeavor. It's not a move I've really used much before, but my thinking with this moveset was to take advantage of Whimsicott's rather average HP stat as well as its speed to weaken stronger opponents quickly, then move in with attacks like Giga Drain or Hurricane to finish the job. I'm just a little unsure about how well it would work in practice. What do you guys think?

miniman

It's Blissey Time

Whimsicott @Leftovers
evs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Nature: Bold
Ability: Prankster

move 1: Taunt
move 2: Toxic/U-Turn
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Leech Seed

This is a set I've been looking at for a while. Its a basic Sub- seeder, but with prankster it gets priority for all status moves, which is what all move in the set fall under (with the exception of U-turn). U-turn is to get away from any other grass pokemon.

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer

Here's a 5th Gen Moveset I've been contemplating, it's based on a similiar moveset from Gliscor but instead Emolga:

Emolga @ Leftovers
EV's: 252 HP / 4 DEF / 252 Speed
Nature: Timid
Ability: Static

* Taunt
* Electro Ball
* Roost
* Volt Switch

Taunt comes in handy to get around Stat Boosts from my Opponent's Pokemon, Volt Switch is for STAB besides checking upon switches while Roost helps me recover HP with Leftovers. Electro Ball helps as well.

Emolga can get Roost only by being bred with a Dunsparce at the Day Care.

Slowpr0

✪ Slowbro is So Pro ✪
This seems like a good moveset. :)
Simisear @ Flame Orb
EV's: 252 Speed, 252 Attack
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Blaze (Are DW abilities allowed?)

~ Fling
~ Acrobatics
~ Flame Charge
~ Brick Break/Low Kick

So you send in your Simisage, Fling your Flame Orb at (Hopefully) a physical attacker and burn it. Since you don't have an item anymore, you do double damage with Acrobatics (110 base power) for big damage. Brick Break/Low Kick for those heavy steel or rock types that don't take much damage from Acrobatics or Crunch. Crunch helps with ghost or psychic types. Something very unique about Simisage is that is has 101 base speed, which is very high, and it outspeeds the common Pokemon with 100 base speed. :) I also have another set that abuses Gluttony.

Simisear @ Salac Berry
EV's: Same as last time, 252 Speed, 252 Attack
Ability: Gluttony

~ Substitute
~ Brick Break/Low Kick
~ Flame Charge
~ Acrobatics

Same concept here, but you abuse Gluttony (You eat your berry at 1/2 health instead of 1/4 health) with substitute to wear your HP down to half, then getting your Salac Berry boost. You're now very fast! :D Same as last time, you will no longer have an item, so we'll use Acrobatics as out main attacking move with Flame Charge to get our speed even higher to outspeed Scarfed Pokemon. Again, we'll have Brick Break/Low Kick for the final move to defeat steel and rock types. Tell me what you think!

Wolf_Kaioken

Hunter to Trainer
Im not sure if many people are using this pokemon but it does work well :)

Accelgor @ Choice Specs
Modest
252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Focus Blast/Psychic
Bug Buzz
Giga Drain
Hidden Power (Fire)

Pretty much this pokemon is one of the fastest in the game which is only outsped by a few, even if Accelgor is on a neutral nature. It works wonders against most pokemon, mostly countered by special walls but really works well. Its abilities arent really much so it doesnt matter which one is used. Its bug Buzz can eliminate any Psychic and Dark pokemon out there which I find common, Giga Drain counters the Rock types and Hidden Power works well on other bugs and Steel types.

lucariopulse333

BIDE! BIDE! BIDE! BIDE! BIDE!
Galvantula @ Life Orb
Nature: Modest'Timid
Ability: Compoundeyes
EV's: 252 Sp.A 252 Spe 4 Hp
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball
- Volt Switch

This set is designed to Thunder and scout. Having 100% accuracy on Thunder due to Compoundeyes is an added bonus! Bug buzz is for an extra STAB for those pesky psychic and dark types and energy ball is for coverage against ground types if they decide to switch in a ground type :)

J

Juliacoolo

Here's something I like to use on occasion. A gimmik, but still rather useful when in the right situation:

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EVs: 12 HP, 248 Defense, 248 Special Defense

- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Substitute

This is a fun and effective version of the SubSeed Whimsicott. EVs allow it to be bulky enough to take a shot, and once you have leech seed out, your opponent's pokemon is pretty much screwed. Having leech seed and leftovers gives you plenty of healing, and having both protect and sub gives you even more time to speed stall. HP fire is for pesky grass types who are otherwise immune to this set. Most noticeable would be ferrothorn, who gets 2HKOd by HP fire. It also can beat opposing Whimsicott who will be running taunt, or encore instead of HP fire ~ Not that you should expect seeing them :p

The problem of course comes from switching. Switching out of leech seed can really ruin this set. However, with proper hazard support, this can be very effective even with the switching. It also handles the last pokemon on an opponents team well, as there's no switching to avoid the leech seed drain.

Elk-Dimension

u elkcom hangl man
Accelgor
Timid @ Life Orb
4 HP/252 Spe/252 SpA
Acid Spray
Bug Buzz
Giga Drain
U-Turn/HP Ground

Ok, so, basically, Acid Spray always lowers your opponent's SpD by two stages when it hits. If your opponent switches into Acid Spray, they're forced to either suffer a huge dent from STAB Bug Buzz, or switch, taking layer damage and potentially switching into another Acid Spray.
Giga Drain hurts Bulky Waters and Grounds who can take Bug Buzzes. It also heals off damage from Life Orb. THe last slot can be either U-Turn, to scout and get out of bad match-ups, or HP Ground, to hurt non-Balloon Heatran who otherwise walls the set.
It's highly recommended that you use this set with excessive layers, since it forces so many switches. It also helps Accelgor sweep.

Culex77

Do I even need to explain who this is?
You know I always wondered how people would use Leavanny. You know that praying mantis like Pokemon. After looking at it's stats and move set it's clear to me that Leavanny is more of a physical attacker.

Leavanny @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Sp Atk
-Swords Dance
-Leaf Blade
-X-Scissor
-Leaf Storm/Energy Ball

This Leavanny is a sweeper best suited for a Sunny Day teams or partnered with a Ninetales lead. The main reason being it's other ability is Swarm which is just a Bug-Type version of Overgrow, Torrent, and Blaze. With sun up Leavanny can outspeed a few things with Chlorophyll so it can easily set up a Swords Dance. Leaf Blade and X-Scissor are great moves on this Pokemon and after one or two Swords Dances it could probably take out a lot of things easily. The last slot depends on which move you like more. In other words it's that whole power over accuracy debet. I guess another option could be Solarbeam since the sun will be up for a good duration of the battle.

Hyperion64

Aspiring Trainer
Here's a useful counter-lead move set I came up with for bisharp.

Bisharp
-metal burst
-sucker punch
-revenge
-taunt
4 hp 252 atk 252 spd
Focus sash
Inner focus
Hasty

The strategy here is to have the opponent hit me as soon as possible (taunt ensures that) and slam them with an offensive attack. The diverse move pool gives me several ways to retaliate.
I would put SR on here, but then I would sacrifice revenge and sucker punch (both can be picked up from cacturne).

JacobeTheElf

Future Marine and hopeful Army Ranger
Whimsicott@Leftovers
252 HP, 72 Def, 184 SpD
Relaxed/Sassy

Protect/Substitute/Stun Spore
Encore
Cotton Guard/U-Turn
Leech Seed

Set I made up, which is basically just a scout/staller. Only go with U-turn if you have Stun Spore in your set. Sassy or relaxed, I would go with Sassy if you have cotton guard but the decision is yours. He has speed-decreasing natures because his ability makes him attack first anyway. Not much else to say.

Hyperion64

Aspiring Trainer
^I would change whimsicott's nature to careful, as speed really matters here.

Also, I came up with this fairly effective victini set a while back:

Victini
-flame charge
-charge beam
-stored power
-taunt
4 hp 252 sp atk 252 spd
Leftovers
Victory star
Hasty

My strategy is to boost my stats as high as possible with char beam and flame charge and then decimate the opponent with stored power (a CM set could also work).

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
That's not a bad moveset for Victini, mine's most likely going to be a Standard Special Sweeper since it's Modest. It took me a bunch of tries to get it at the right Nature but I finally did it!

EV's: 252 Sp. ATK - 252 Speed - 4 HP

* Flamethrower STAB
* Focus Blast (Weakness Coverage)
* Thunderbolt (Weakness Coverage)
* Psycho Shock STAB

JacobeTheElf

Future Marine and hopeful Army Ranger
^^Why would speed matter if his ability makes non-attacking moves get priority? It actually just depends on the set you're using. If you have attack moves included (i.e. U-Turn), then go with Careful. If not, (like the set I use) go with a Speed decreasing nature.

Uralya

*ponders everything*
@ Yoda: That first set of yours on my Simisage is great. Flame Orb Fling is a genius combo with Acrobatics. I've also been using Seed Bomb and Crunch. One question: would Simisear be a better option for the Flame Orb set since he can't be burned anyways?

~AoH

Slowpr0

✪ Slowbro is So Pro ✪
OH man!!
LOL!
I accidentally typed Simisage!
I was thinking it, but I didn't type it. Let me change it right now.
Hehe, sorry.