5th Gen Competitive Movesets and Metagame

Just because there is a Pokemon with worse typing doesn't mean its useful at all. I've used Gigalith and its basically inferior to Swampert, Ferrothorn, Snorlax, Ferroseed, Registeel, and pretty much any pokemon that can use Curse.

Well it can be better then Swampert since it has a bit higher speed stat. My only problem is dealing with Bulk Up sets like Machamp, Conkeldor and Scrafty.

Gigalith's base speed is 25. Swampert's is 60. Swampert is way faster. Also, speed doesn't matter when you are using Curse, but Sp. Def does and Gigalith's is so bad it is OHKOed by basically every special attack (well, 2HKOed if it's at full health due to sturdy). Swampert far outclasses Gigalith in pretty much everything.

Okay, sorry to burst the conversation, but I think i got the hang of it:

Motocross/Metagross
Nature-Adamant
@ Wide Lens
252 Attack EV, 128 Defense EV, 124 Sp. Defense EV
IV- "Likes to Thrash About"
- Earthquake
- Hammer Arm
- Meteor Mash
- **need a move here**

This guy is just a basic part of this TrickStorm team I'm building. Not listed, you use Beeheeyem's Trick Room to make all slow Pokemon go first, and I will be using Motocross and my Brave Tyranitar.
More on this guy, Earthquake is quite self-explaining, Meteor Mash for STAB, Wide Lens increasing the 80% Accuracy of MM, and Hammer Arm for consitency. I thought about Hidden Power, but I don't know what type it will be with this IV.

Fell free to comment or recommend, and don't hold back, just don't make me feel bad.

Because you only listed four Pokemon, I'm assuming this is for VGC. Correct me if I'm wrong.

A good fourth move for Metagross is Ice Punch, letting it his Gliscor, Dragonite and Landorus, but its only available through 4th Gen move tutor. Air Balloon would also be really helpful on Metagross, as Earthquakes aren't taken too well by it (As a matter of fact, Tyranitar doesn't like them either).

I'm not too sure what "Likes to Thrash about" does for the IVs, but I suggest moving the defensive EVs into HP which gives more bulk all around.

"Like to Thrash about" provides ATK IVs, but that was the best i could get. "Proud of it's power" yields the most ATK IVs. I actually can't get Ice Punch because i already transfered the dude to my White game. and FYI, high Health alone doesn't protect him from supereffective attacks. the Defense and Sp. Defense actually reduce the amount of damage done. And like i said, this is my first post in this thread that i posted in a while. And also, just 'cause I list 4 pokemon on this thread doesn't mean they're all on the same team. For the team I am putting Motocross on, it utilizes Trick Room and deliberately making pokemon slower to benefit even more from the Trick Room. I'm also adding Sandstrorm pokemon to hurt my opponent even more. This is the basic line-up of my team (i will post movesets later):

Beeheeyem- Trick Room user and basic disruption
Tyranitar- Tank, uses Trick Room to advantage
Metagross- Tank, Same as Tyranitar
Haxorus- For Sweeping if Trick Room wears off and Beeheeyem is dead.
Cofagrigus- Wall, utilizing high defense and sp. defense to stall opponent.
Claydol- Trick Room user and adequate Wall, using high defense and Sp. Defense to stall.

Here's one that I was working on for my Stall teams.
front.png

Jellicent: M-Leftovers
Nature: Bold +DEF/-ATK
Ability: Water Absorb
EV's: 172 HP/248 DEF/88 Sp. Def
Attacks:
~Scald
~Recover
~Toxic
~Shadow Ball

What can I say this thing makes for a great buffer to Water, Steel, Normal, Fire, Ice, Bug, Poison and Fighting attacks. With Scald and Shadow Ball as STAB to provide cover against Ground, Rock, Fire, Ghost and Psychic-types it can hold its own well in Rain Dance, Sandstorm, and Stall. Recover is a great way to abuse Toxic and with Water Absorb and Leftovers to help recover lost HP it proves to be one effective pokemon in any team.

JacobeTheElf said:
^^Why would speed matter if his ability makes non-attacking moves get priority? It actually just depends on the set you're using. If you have attack moves included (i.e. U-Turn), then go with Careful. If not, (like the set I use) go with a Speed decreasing nature.
Vicctini's ability Victory Star increases the accuracy of all moves for itself and its allies.

From my own experience, Special Defense EVs are useless on Jellicent. Its usually standard practice to max out HP on any defensive Pokemon, including Jellicent. I really like having Taunt on Jellicent, because it stops the Bulky Waters from using Toxic on my Jellicent, which really wears it down over the course of the battle. Taunt also lets Jellicent be a fantastic check to Skarmory and Bronzong.

Bippa201 said:
usually standard practice to max out HP on any defensive Pokemon, including Jellicent.
It really depends on which Pokemon it is and what item it is holding. Chansey for instance benefits far greater with a spread of 252 Def / 252 SpDef / 4 HP. If it holds leftovers, the best thing to do is first give it just enough where it gets the one extra point of recovery. After doing so, adjust your Defense and Special Defense EVs to take hits optimally. I often use a damage calculator and make sure it can guarantee survival from a certain combination. While it means you have to do it more specific to a team instead of just a standard spread, using individual spreads based on the team is better. My ultimate Ubers team everything is my own specific spreads.

I like to run 172 HP/248 DEF/88 Sp. Def Bold nature, Leftovers and Water Absorb. Bulkyness to the MAX baby!

Haxorous is one of the most powerful pokemon for dragons but I think this should prove a worthy opponet to it.

Sceptile:M-Choice Specs
Ability: Overgrow or whatever its DW one is
Nature: Timid +Spd/-ATK
EV's: 4 HP/252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd
Attacks:
~Energy Ball/Leaf Storm
~HP Fire/HP Ice
~Dragon Pulse
~Focus Blast

One reason for running this is the fact that Haxorous has very low speed and low special defence which makes it a prime target for faster special base pokemon like Sceptile. Combinning Dragon Pulse with Choice Specs allows for it to score OHKOs on it if it doesn't switch out. Focus Blast was added to deal with pokemon like Bisharp and TTar. Energy Ball and Leaf Storm hold STAB and can be of great use against pokemon like Seismitoad and Swampert. HP Fire and HP Ice where added to handle Ferrothorn, Forretress, Scizor, Dragonite, Salamence and Flygon who all can be crippled fairly quickly.

The only down side to this set is the Choice Lock and the fact Fire, Flying, Bug, Poison and Ice attacks can break Sceptile quickly if it gets out paced by a faster pokemon holding a Choice item that could KO it in one hit.

So let me get this straight: You are using a Pokemon with 65 base defense and 70 base hp as well as the worst defensive mono-type in the game to counter a Pokemon with 147 base attack and a 120 base power STAB attack? Good luck with switching in. If you plan or revenge killing an unboosted Haxorus, anything with a speed higher than 97 can do that so yeah...also, I'm pretty sure Haxorus outspeeds that after a DD so it can't revenge kill DD Haxorus anyway...so I have no clue what the thing about Haxorus was. Also, that is one of Sceptile's DP Smogon sets and very similar to one of their BW ones, so its not unheard of or anything. In fact I believe that its Sceptile's most common set.

Jumpluff @ Wide Lens
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 104 HP / 152 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore
- U-turn
- Encore

This thing. Just wrecks so much. In the sun, (assuming you run Chlorophyll) Jumpluff reaches 700 Speed, which is certainly nothing to scoff at. No other Swift Swim/Sand Rush/Chlorophyll users outspeed it without a boost, which means it can stop Excadrill and Kingdra dead in their tracks. In addition, very few scarfers, even ones with Speed-beneficial natures can outspeed it, so to be honest, the only threat to this guy is Ice Shard or Speed boosting sweepers like Metagross, Cloyster or Gorebyss. (The most dangerous of the speed boosting sweepers is Rock Polish Genesect. Although it is very rare, it is a very significant threat. This thing even works in Ubers, I've tried it. What it does is comes in on something and if it is a threat to Jumpluff, put it to sleep. If Jumpluff can survive a hit, (that's what the HP EVs are for) paralyze it, especially if it's scarfed or something ridiculously fast, like Ninjask, Deoxys-S and Jolteon. If you paralyze it, use Encore to lock its move, then U-turn out into something that can take it out, and boom, you get a free kill. It's a very useful support unit and anyone who decides to use a sun team, even in Ubers, should consider Jumpluff.

WujiKyurem said:
Jumpluff @ Wide Lens
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 104 HP / 152 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore
- U-turn
- Encore

This thing. Just wrecks so much. In the sun, (assuming you run Chlorophyll) Jumpluff reaches 700 Speed, which is certainly nothing to scoff at. No other Swift Swim/Sand Rush/Chlorophyll users outspeed it without a boost, which means it can stop Excadrill and Kingdra dead in their tracks. In addition, very few scarfers, even ones with Speed-beneficial natures can outspeed it, so to be honest, the only threat to this guy is Ice Shard or Speed boosting sweepers like Metagross, Cloyster or Gorebyss. (The most dangerous of the speed boosting sweepers is Rock Polish Genesect. Although it is very rare, it is a very significant threat. This thing even works in Ubers, I've tried it. What it does is comes in on something and if it is a threat to Jumpluff, put it to sleep. If Jumpluff can survive a hit, (that's what the HP EVs are for) paralyze it, especially if it's scarfed or something ridiculously fast, like Ninjask, Deoxys-S and Jolteon. If you paralyze it, use Encore to lock its move, then U-turn out into something that can take it out, and boom, you get a free kill. It's a very useful support unit and anyone who decides to use a sun team, even in Ubers, should consider Jumpluff.

Except that Jumpluff lacks offensive and defensive stats to hurt anything, especially with U-Turn as your only attacking move. Wide Lense is outclassed by other items. Sleep Powder and Stun Spore have poor accuracy. You need sun for Chlorophyll to work, while Kingdra and Excadrill need other weather to reach relevant speeds, not to mention that Excadrill is banned, along with Drizzleswim.

Heres one that I've been tinkering with.

Latias:F-Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Bold +DEF/-ATK
EV's: 252 HP/252 DEF/4 Sp. Def
Attacks:
~Calm Mind
~Rest
~Dragon Pulse/Surf/Thunderbolt
~Sleep Talk

While Sleep Talk isn't as common on Latias I have found that it is rather effective since it can have several 3rd slot attack moves that can be used to protect it. Rest is used to restore health, Calm Mind to boost Sp. Atk and Sp. Def, Sleep Talk to use either of the other three attacks and either Dragon Pulse, Surf, Thunderbolt ect. to inflict alot of damage on whatever pokemon it battles. Most popular is Draco Meteor over Dragon Pulse since Calm Mind cures the recoil of Draco Meteor.

...Why would you run rest on something that has recover? The point of rest is to make bulky Pokemon that lack recovery move able to live, and even then they are often weaker than a Pokemon with less base stats and a good recovery move. If you are that worried about status, you can run Psycho Shift or Refresh, although both are for the most part a waste of a spot. Also, I don't get what you mean by multiple third slot attacks, with your set you only get 1 attack which makes Latias rather easy to wall.

I also don't think it is wise to use Draco Meteor with Calm Mind. Basically you wasted 2 turns to raise your SpAtk back to normal level. You don't get unlimited turns before Latias will get KO'd. Also Sleep Talk the attack you end up using is a random move the Pokemon uses so you might end up lowering its Special Attack by 4 levels before you can reliably raise it once.

Just like to add that most Latias run 252 HP / 252 Speed with a Timid nature. Latias sits at 110 Speed, which is higher than dudes like Terrakion, Verizion, Infernape, Landorus, all base 100s (Salamence, Jirachi, Mew, Celebi), and not investing gets you outsped by a vast part of the metagame.

Back