3DS Discussion Thread

Teal said:
SotS said:
-Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (I guess? It's a sequel to 999, but not in the traditional sense.)
VLR spoiler (not really, kinda):
It is 100% a sequel.

I was just going off of what a friend told me. Guess I shouldn't have put it without asking him for sure though hehe.

Though I'm jealous of all the cool themes Japan keeps getting for the 3DS/XL, part of me isn't since I couldn't afford them even if they did come over here. :p

SotS said:
I was just going off of what a friend told me. Guess I shouldn't have put it without asking him for sure though hehe.
They are marketing it as a "sister title" because they want to try to surprise you with the fact that it actually is a sequel and not just a sister title. lol

nintendo will not be at e3

...I am unsure of how I feel about this

On one hand, Nintendo Direct essentially does what E3 would do. I like this because we get a steady stream of information and we don't have long, hellish news droughts (particularly before something like E3). On the other hand, it's the god damn E3. :I

Cross-posting...

SotS said:
Wait wait wait guys, they're not holding their typical conference. They will still be at E3 and will still be announcing things for us all to see. Just not in the way it's usually done (that is, one big show and that's it).

I've seen a lot of people literally confuse this message and think that Nintendo won't be at E3 period. Just wanted to get this out of the way before anyone else gets confused.

SotS said:
Cross-posting...

SotS said:
Wait wait wait guys, they're not holding their typical conference. They will still be at E3 and will still be announcing things for us all to see. Just not in the way it's usually done (that is, one big show and that's it).

I've seen a lot of people literally confuse this message and think that Nintendo won't be at E3 period. Just wanted to get this out of the way before anyone else gets confused.

Huh, you seem to be right. The IGN article I linked to quotes Iwata saying that they will be holding other small events, but it wasn't clear if these events would be at/related to E3. Perhaps this is because it wasn't an official translation?

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FxvoiBW5jAg[/video]

gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme o3o

Starboard Driger said:
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FxvoiBW5jAg[/video]

gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme o3o

Looking forward to that, but I would like to see Professor Layton X Ace Attorney here in the US first.

Benjineer said:
I've been thinking about getting a 3DS. Do you think that it is worth the extra money to get the XL or not?

Here:

Chariblaze said:
Elite Stride said:
One more thing. I got $50 bucks in Best Buy gift cards and I was wondering if it is worth upgrading to the XL 3DS. Any advice?

If you can, I'd go for it. As long as you're not planning on carrying it in your pocket, or being the most diehard fan of Fluidity: Spin Cycle, it's a better piece of hardware. Nintendo made a point not to add any extra features to it so as not to draw criticism over a releasing a new version of the system within 18 months, but the build quality is definitely better. The normal 3DS is very cramped internals-wise; they got it as small as they could, apparently. Since the XL is bigger, stuff got a bit better. That bulging you're talking about isn't there. The oil marks that are laid onto the top screen from the bottom's border isn't an issue (they might have fixed that in later manufacturing runs of the normal 3DS, actually). The start, select, and home buttons are more buttony. You may want to take what I'm saying with a grain of salt, since I've never actually touched one, but I am parroting people I trust, including SotS:

SotS said:
The 3DS XL launched today in America, and let me tell you, it IS the 3DS. It feels very, very sturdy in comparison to the original 3DS. The screens are just amazing; very immersive with 3D. The over-all design feels way comfier, and the screen scratch issue seems to be fixed. MY goodness I know this is just first week hyperbole most likely, but I'm not disappointed one bit. (I did the Gamestop trade-in thing where you bought the system, transferred stuff over, returned the system, then "re-bought" it with trade-in 3DS.) The blue is a really nice shade. Didn't get to see red, but I don't mind, I never really liked red...

Elite Stride said:
Can anyone confirm that the 3DS XL stretches DS game pictures too far? Is it worth exchanging my regular sized for an XL?

http://kotaku.com/5935578/the-nintendo-3ds-xl-the-kotaku-review
Kotaku is a weird place said:
I popped old DS games into my 3DS XL, first Advance Wars: Dual Strike (save game circa 2005!) and an old favorite, Kirby Canvas Curse. Both looked huge and excellent when blown up on the 3DS XL; maybe a little jaggy because of the bigger screen but only in a hey-these-games-are-kind-of-old-and-look-cool-because-they-now-look-a-bit-chunky kind of way. I loaded up some old favorites from the downloadable line of DSiWare games. The vastly underrated two-toned Descent-a-like X-Scape from Q-Games looked sharp on the 3DS XL. So did the 3DS-only eShop game Pushmo (aka the best 3DS game of last year). GBA games hold up on the 3DS XL's upper screen as well.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9112058
The nice thing is that the XL's screen is large enough that you can use true pixel resolution for DS games and not have to squint.

https://www.google.com/search?oq=how+do+ds+games+look+on+3ds+xl&sugexp=chrome,mod=12&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=how+do+ds+games+look+on+3ds+xl

I still believe everything I said -- Thankfully it wasn't just my hyperbole. ^.^ It's

-Extremely comfortable with the rounded corners
-Not any thicker than the regular 3DS, just wider
-The screens still amaze me with their size, and I haven't noticed any pixelation
-The stylus is in a convenient position unlike on the 3DS
-The screen doesn't scratch itself HOWEVER, I highly recommend you keep nothing between your screens. A sort of fix to the original 3DS' screen scratch issue was to place a cloth between the screens. Doing this with my XL however ended up scratching my screen. Once I removed it and just closed the system there hasn't been another scratch.

There's a lot more to be said, but those are the big things... I think.

I still strongly recommend that anyone planning to purchase it should try it in person though. I love it, and most everyone I've shown loves it. But one of my friends said that he didn't like the weight of it.

I'm still holding out for a purple one. I would definitely have one if it existed; the bigger system feels better in my giant beast man-hands. Going from my DSi XL to my 3DS regular is like night and day. I want a 3DS XL so bad, but I swore I wouldn't cave until I saw it in purple (or there was a cool design that I liked).

I see there are pink ones now, so hopefully I won't have to wait much longer.

Benjineer said:
I have a DSi XL right now. Is the 3DS XL much heavier than the DSi was?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nintendo_portable_consoles

A DSi XL is apparently 314 grams, while a 3DS XL is apparently a hefty 336 grams.

is there a way to repair scratchs or very tiny holes on the screen for a First model 3DS i just gave my 3DS a cleaning and noticed to 2 lines of very small dings into the screen where the bottom part i guess got dust or somethings in between the top and bottom screen.

Thinking of getting Animal Crossing New Leaf when it comes out. However, I have a few questions to ask first. Would it be good to get this if I haven't played a AC game before, and can someone explain to me what exactly what you do in this game.(I watched a few gameplay videos of it, so I have an idea, but I want to make sure)

I got the Animal Crossing game for the Game Cube when I was younger, and it was relatively fun. Took me awhile to progress far in the game, but it was a great adventure. I later re-sold it, as I lost interest.

Later, I got the Animal Crossing: City Folk game for the Wii. It also good I suppose, and I've never really "beaten it". The Animal Crossing series really has no ending. You go around, trying to upgrade your house, then pay off your debt, solve some mysteries, and explore the area in general. It a good relaxing game, it you just want to kick back, but you can spend lots of time on your town if you got that OCD.

It looks like in the new game; there are many things that Animal Crossing fans have wanted for a long time. These include swimming in the ocean and streams, becoming mayor, and always new events. It seems to be based on a paradise like area, unlike how City Folk was based off a city, and the first one was based off a town. The best thing to look at on the game is the connectivity, and the live playing seems great once again.

Overall, it seems to turn out promising new addition to the series, giving fans something they've wanted for a long time. It still doesn't rank very high on my want list, as there are some games that I'm looking to get first. But I would recommend this game if you just want to sit back and relax, definitely for casual gamers. If you can't play the same game for more than 30 minutes, it might not be in your best interest. There seems to be a lot of features that one could enjoy, so you should absolutely consider it!

pokemaister899 said:
Thinking of getting Animal Crossing New Leaf when it comes out. However, I have a few questions to ask first. Would it be good to get this if I haven't played a AC game before, and can someone explain to me what exactly what you do in this game.(I watched a few gameplay videos of it, so I have an idea, but I want to make sure)

As for your first inquiry, New Leaf is looking to be a great entrance into the series. At its very core -- As its concept itself, the game is easy to get into. And while many will tell you to try other games in the series first... I don't recommend doing so. Because even though I love them all, pretty much everything in New Leaf is better. You would be experiencing something worse than what the game is now, possibly ruining your first impression with the game. My advice? Get New Leaf if you're interested in the series, even if it is more expensive than City Folk.

What you do in the game is entirely up to you. Personally, I like fishing. It's a very relaxing way to spend time, and it's always awesome when you land a new, rare species to fill in your list. On top of this, you can then donate them to the Museum, which places them in a large aquarium room for you to see. So for me? The game is sort of like a very laid-back fishing game with LOTS of stuff to interject between trips so that it doesn't get stale. There's plenty of other things you can do: Make intricate patterns to lay on the ground to create Themed Towns (not my video); catch and collect bugs -- And, like with fish, you can fill in a Bug section in the Museum; collect furniture to decorate your house with, and there's looooots of furniture this time (which can all be customized even further with your own patterns); play Mini-games with friends on a new Island area; or simply kick back to try and make your town look nice with the new Outdoor decorations such as lamp-posts, benches, and fountains. That's just to name a few things that most players do though, there's plenty more.

Also, did I mention that pretty much everything costs in-game money? I guess this may actually drive some people away from the series, but personally I like that there's so much to do with your Bells (currency in-game). You can use them for clothes and hats, new furniture, outdoor decor, or house expansions. It's not like so many other games where money is just sort of... There. As for how you obtain bells, you can sell fish, bugs, fruit, furniture... Pretty much anything, really. It's an over-all satisfying system that always provides you with a new goal of your own choice.

Really the franchise is just great. I typically spend three or four years on them, playing for about fifteen~twenty minutes a day. (After the first month anyways. I usually play for an hour or two each day then. xD) It lends itself very well to pick-up play -- Perfect for the 3DS! Though, if you like it a lot it can also be played for hours on end. It's a truly versatile game.

Also, I'm sure you know this if you have been researching the game, but the game runs off of the 3DS' clock. If your time is correct, the game goes by your time, day-by-day, on a 24 hour 7 day basis. It implements this nicely into the game, with real-life holidays being included a notable feature to come from it. On Christmas day it will be Christmas in-game, same for Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Thanksgiving, etc.

tl;dr I'm a huge Animal Crossing nerdfan and probably sound like a PR person throughout the whole post, so it's reasonable you would skip here.

too bad, no short summary <3

AdamLambert said:
3DS is the best handheld system in existence in my opinion.

Mah man.

*Highfive

Back