(2) Elite Trainer Box, Championship Series Wi-Fi Tournies [12/5]

superman said:
If you're new to the game, don't waste your money on this collection.

But... But... A competition-legal coin-flip die!

Yeah, interesting that they're going with dice instead of tokens with this.

I will be getting this for energies because I feel poor to ask for energies at PR ... and I only have 12 fighting , 14 water and 8 dark .

Atleast the Elite trainer box is beautiful. And I can´t believe that every box includes 7 booster packs. That is pretty many for a Pokemon gift box. Usually they only include like 3 to 4 booster packs in their products ( Keldeo Box and EX tins ). I wonder why they suddenly wanted this box to include 7 packs instead of the usual 4 packs. What do you think?

As already some people say, it reminds me of Magic the Gathering and there "fat packs" for each new edition.
Maybe Pokémon ist trying this too now.

It's actually Lightning energy I lack the most. (Being the only type I have less than 60 of.) Still, I like this idea, and assuming they aren't ridiculously overpriced, I'd probably be inclined to get some. I'm the kind of person more likely to buy tins and boxes rather than random boosters, so this fits in well. Though, I wish we got markers for Sleep, Paralysis and Confusion in addition to the probable Poison and Burn markers. Rotating cards is stupid. I'm yet to even bother doing it and I've played more or less since Fossil, and have no idea which position denotes what condition, either. ;p

Wonder how many sides the "damage counter dice" have, and what they look like. And what kind of deck box.

The value of 7 packs is $24.00, 40 non-Holo Energy are $4.00, the acrylic condition markers are probably worth 25 Cents each so 50 Cents, damage counter dice go for as little as $5 for a set of 20 or so, around $1 something, larger dice are usually anywhere around 75 Cents to $1, the player's guide is probably worth 50 Cents, the deck box is probably worth $2 and the collector's box alone might go anywhere from $2-$8 so that would be a total of at least $37.50. But that is still a lot of money for what's included. I'd say it's not worth it. (though personally I would just buy the box alone online)

Brave Vesperia said:
The value of 7 packs is $24.00, 40 non-Holo Energy are $4.00, the acrylic condition markers are probably worth 25 Cents each so 50 Cents, damage counter dice go for as little as $5 for a set of 20 or so, around $1 something, larger dice are usually anywhere around 75 Cents to $1, the player's guide is probably worth 50 Cents, the deck box is probably worth $2 and the collector's box alone might go anywhere from $2-$8 so that would be a total of at least $37.50. But that is still a lot of money for what's included. I'd say it's not worth it. (though personally I would just buy the box alone online)

It would be 35 at most. Any higher, then it is because TPCi is price gouging. The MSRP of MTG and Pokemon boosters are both $3.99, but let's say it is what you say, so 9 MTG boosters would be around $30. This set contains 40 energy, while MTG fat packs contain 80 basic lands, so that would make it $8, for a total of $38. MTG fat packs also contain 1 20 sided die, 2 cheap cardboard boxes that can't hold sleeved cards, and a larger collectors box, as well as a player's guide, and a rules sheet. Since the MSRP is $40, those things would all have to be $2 combined, which is what you say is the value of the collectors box.

I highly doubt that TPCi would take each item and use its full value and add them up, and it would be the price of this product.

TheEXcollector said:
Atleast the Elite trainer box is beautiful. And I can´t believe that every box includes 7 booster packs. That is pretty many for a Pokemon gift box. Usually they only include like 3 to 4 booster packs in their products ( Keldeo Box and EX tins ). I wonder why they suddenly wanted this box to include 7 packs instead of the usual 4 packs. What do you think?

Let's say that a typical newbie deck contains 15 energy, based on the typical number of energy of theme decks, rounded down to the nearest increment of 5. This means that 45 Pokemon and Trainers are in the deck. BUT, when you go to prereleases, you get 6 packs and you build a 40 card deck with those right? So a typical 40 card deck contains 10 energy, and this means 30 cards are Pokemon and Trainers. This means that half of the cards from the packs would be used to make the deck. I think the point here is to bring the sealed pack play, and draft to a home environment. Some people are unfortunate enough to not have prereleases in their home city or town, so this is basically like a buy this and get a prerelease... at release.

Usually, MTG players say that those who buy booster boxes and crack all the packs to pull certain cards are wasting money, and that they should use the boosters to draft. I'm pretty sure for Pokemon TCG, if one buys a product like this, or a booster box, that the value would increase if one uses the boosters to draft as well. Just sayin.

Anyway, what I am talking about is in this link

assets17.pokemon.com/assets/cms/pdf/op/tournaments/2013/Play_Pokemon_TCG_Rules_and_Formats.pdf

Just look at page 16, under Limited.

I really like the idea behind the Elite Trainer Box, but I really wish it came with sleeves, and also more tools to actually help people build decks at least semi-competitively, maybe with a selection of staple trainers along with the energy, deck building tips, some kind of advanced theme deck, or something, probably in place of some of the booster packs. It feels like it's a step in the right direction, but it's only one step when three or four steps might make a more usable product.

The idea of using it as a booster draft setup could be really fun (and if I had people around me that would buy one along with me to do such with I probably would), but somehow I doubt the price of the box would make it a viable alternative to just getting a booster box for draft purposes.

Artemis said:
I really like the idea behind the Elite Trainer Box, but I really wish it came with sleeves, and also more tools to actually help people build decks at least semi-competitively, maybe with a selection of staple trainers along with the energy, deck building tips, some kind of advanced theme deck, or something, probably in place of some of the booster packs. It feels like it's a step in the right direction, but it's only one step when three or four steps might make a more usable product.

The idea of using it as a booster draft setup could be really fun (and if I had people around me that would buy one along with me to do such with I probably would), but somehow I doubt the price of the box would make it a viable alternative to just getting a booster box for draft purposes.

They could do something where there were a bunch of 30 card or 20 card incomplete decks, and to make a deck, one would combine 3 20 card incomplete decks to make a whole deck. Or they could just make the Pokemon TCG version of MTG's Deck Builder's Toolkit. There should also be a pamphlet showing all the popular deck archetypes, or whatever Pokemon TCG people call it.

They could also do something where they release 2 advanced trainer decks separately, AND packaged in one box, like a vs box. Something like this happened with Yugioh OCG in Japan, where they released 2 duelist boxes, and another product that is basically the two packaged together, but with double the price. So basically, it would sort of be like Event Decks if you bought them separately, or Duel Decks, if you bought them together in one package. Pokemon TCG in Japan also has some of these vs decks too.

Kaijudo also has one. WOTC sold 2 decks along with their Rise of the Duel Masters expansion. Then I saw they announce that these 2 decks are going to be packaged together and sold for $10, with the blurb on the box saying "Over $30 value for under $10".

Could you imagine how much people would be suckered into buying this if the Elite Trainer Box had a blurb saying "Over $50 value for under $30"?

If the price is right, the box seems to be a good deal.

When I was getting into the game, I would've definitely appreciated something like this. :p

$34.99 is what my friends and I were guessing at today. I wonder if that's true.

signofzeta said:
The MSRP of MTG and Pokemon boosters are both $3.99.

$3.99 still? In Alaska, department stores sell blister paks for $4.19!
You have to go to a card shop to get the $4 boosters straight from a box.

Ty_Sylicus said:
$34.99 is what my friends and I were guessing at today. I wonder if that's true.

signofzeta said:
The MSRP of MTG and Pokemon boosters are both $3.99.

$3.99 still? In Alaska, department stores sell blister paks for $4.19!
You have to go to a card shop to get the $4 boosters straight from a box.

The store could price it at whatever they want, but the suggested retail price is $3.99.

This does technically contain a deck. You just have to make one. The idea here, or what they sort of are trying to do, is to get new players to create their own deck with whatever cards they pulled from the 7 boosters, and ensuring that they could make a deck with any type combination. The difference between this and theme decks is that when you buy a theme deck, you MUST play the type combination and theme of the theme deck, and here, you make your own type combination and theme.

To make a viable deck, you would probably have to buy 2 of these. Now me, I'd probably buy one, and one more from the next set after plasma storm.

Considering that someone wishes that a deck should have been in there, a product that is a tournament viable precon, like MTG's event decks should work out. Perhaps revive the Epic Collection decks from 2007ish, and release them in groups of 2 or 3, twice, every year? The Epic Collection decks of 2007, had Meganium ex, Feraligatr ex, and Typhlosion ex as the cover card, and contains Pokemon from many sets, rather that from just one set. Unlike MTG's event decks though, these Epic Collection precons should NOT be associated with an expansion set, like Plasma Storm, or whatever the May expansion is. The problem with MTG's hobby exclusive event decks is that stores still carry older event decks, like the ones from Magic 2013. M13 event decks contain cards out of standard, like Scars of Mirrodin cards, because the deck is only standard legal at the time of release, and when rotation happens, well some of the cards are not legal anymore. So if Pokemon TCG had something similar, like releasing a deck whose cover card is an EX card, and release it as a more advanced theme deck, with cards from many sets, they should not put the set name on the packaging.

I was going to post an image of the 2007 epic collection decks, but I don't know if I would get in trouble for image leeching.

This does technically contain a deck. You just have to make one. The idea here, or what they sort of are trying to do, is to get new players to create their own deck with whatever cards they pulled from the 7 boosters, and ensuring that they could make a deck with any type combination. The difference between this and theme decks is that when you buy a theme deck, you MUST play the type combination and theme of the theme deck, and here, you make your own type combination and theme.
Okay, this actually makes a bit more sense. Not sure if it's as effective on paper as you put it than in real life, but eh, it could be.

DNA said:
Okay, this actually makes a bit more sense. Not sure if it's as effective on paper as you put it than in real life, but eh, it could be.

I agree , but They should include the Plasma Deck with the Full Arts if they want Seniors , Masters , and Collectors to get this . Only people that will get this is guys who want their GF to play , Juniors , or brand new players . But still ... this is mostly aimed at new player . New players won't know how to make a deck ...

Back