(1) Pokemon Announces 2013-14 Season Changes: Entry Fees, More Prize Support, and More! [8/22]

Teal said:
Huh... tournaments have always costed in Finland, for everyone. I thought it was like that everywhere. :|

Pokemon premier events in the US, with the exception of things like local tourneys and prereleases, have had no entry fee.

I myself don't mind the entry fee much if the trade-off is more prize support, but at the same time, it is going to scare off a lot of people, just like other things in the past:

"I've always been paying $25 for prereleases before, why do I have to pay $30 now?"
"I've just wanted to play at tourneys for fun and meet people. Why do I have to pay for that now?"

Granted, the first one was due to inflation/ESRB pack price increase, but you get my point. Echo brings up a strong point here.

Why does the Autumn regional VGC have to be black and white 2 then transition over to X and Y when i restarted my game because I missed somethings in the storyline I did not know that it would not let me make a new game sync ID so I can`t participate in VGC tournaments oh and why does America have to know everything later than anyone else :(

King Piplup said:
People complaining about Top 8 clearly missed the line about a second day of swiss...according to the European leaks which have been proven all but correct, a second swiss tournament will be played by whatever power of 2 was appropriate and a Top 8 from that.

Wait now I'm confused..

Check said:
Why does the Autumn regional VGC have to be black and white 2 then transition over to X and Y when i restarted my game because I missed somethings in the storyline I did not know that it would not let me make a new game sync ID so I can`t participate in VGC tournaments oh and why does America have to know everything later than anyone else :(

Game Sync ID relates to the Dream World. It does not affect being able to participate in VGC. All you need for VGC is access to your Battle Box. Nothing else matters.

I like most of the changes, the only thing I'm really mad about is the Top 8 only. I get the point is to make Swiss more competitive, but it makes tournaments stupidly stressful. IDC if they add kickers; it was always a great feeling to make cut even after starting off the day badly and finishing with a decent record but at larger tournaments, it's almost impossible to make cut now without being at the top of the top (some say that's a good thing but I don't like it).

Edit: Oh wait never mind I get it. If they do the second day Swiss thing that could actually work out well.

Blah said:
I like most of the changes, the only thing I'm really mad about is the Top 8 only. I get the point is to make Swiss more competitive, but it makes tournaments stupidly stressful. IDC if they add kickers; it was always a great feeling to make cut even after starting off the day badly and finishing with a decent record but at larger tournaments, it's almost impossible to make cut now without being at the top of the top (some say that's a good thing but I don't like it).

Edit: Oh wait never mind I get it. If they do the second day Swiss thing that could actually work out well.

Could you explain the second day Swiss thing to me? I'm kind of lost dude...

RogueChomp said:
Blah said:

Could you explain the second day Swiss thing to me? I'm kind of lost dude...

Ditto ._.

King Arceus said:
TokenDuelist said:
Really doubt this entry fee is going to be major. Besides, it might be to compensate for a few extra things we don't know about yet.

All I hope is that league gets good support this time, considering they are eliminating player rewards. Really hoping for more Video Game involvement in league though.

Whether a league chooses to support the Video Game is its own choice. League Owners can choose to support just one or the other if they wish. I thought the free Pokemon you earned for participating in a season was a good reward. It may not have perfect stats, but its better than nothing.

Oh I meant more in-house stuff supplied from the Pokemon Company. Like how they used to have DS Skins, or possibly give out more event Pokemon at the league. Usually professors have a DS System, if not, a downgraded one with the basic function of distributing Pokemon would be neat.

There's always soft resetting for natures/IVs like I did with my Dragonite and Garchomp. However not many kids knew how to work dream world nor understand the concept much.

3DS Accessories like a specially designed stylus or phone charms would be neat (We missed a whole boatload of those, thanks for nothing in the gachapon aspect - Tomy. )

I think this means that they "cut" to a certain amount of players day two, restart with fresh records and the top 8 of that mini tourney go on to top cut.

Edit: Post 100!!

Cake101 said:
I think this means that they "cut" to a certain amount of players day two, restart with fresh records and the top 8 of that mini tourney go on to top cut.

I'm still confused......

-Applause-

Cake101 said:

Yeah I think he got it.

Here, let me explain.

Championship events will now also have a maximum top cut of eight players (Top 8). Some larger Premier Events will feature two-day splits, in which players with the top records from the first day’s Swiss rounds move on to play a second day of Swiss rounds prior to the Top 8 playoffs.
This is the verbatim quote.

Let's assume you have...200 players in a high-end tournament. For a States, this is about average. Now, let's say the top 25% of the players go on to play on a 2nd day of Swiss. That's the top 50. Those 50 come back the next day and play their own Swiss event. Then you take the top 8 of those 50, and they go on to play top cut.

For smaller events you'd just have 1 day of Swiss and then go on to top cut. For larger events, you'd have 2 days of Swiss, with the 2nd day being the top X amount of people from the 1st day.

The best irl example I can compare it to is Worlds and the LCQ. Anyone who makes it past the grinder (16 per division out of 600+) gets to play in the main Swiss event the next day, then the top 32 go on from there to play top cut after that.

This means tourneys are going to take for-E-ver. As a judge I am extremely saddened. This basically means the tourneys are going to take almost the whole day and I won't get home until late at night. I'll barely have enough time for dinner, let alone anything else I might want to do that day.

DNA said:
Cake101 said:

Yeah I think he got it.

Here, let me explain.

Championship events will now also have a maximum top cut of eight players (Top 8). Some larger Premier Events will feature two-day splits, in which players with the top records from the first day’s Swiss rounds move on to play a second day of Swiss rounds prior to the Top 8 playoffs.
This is the verbatim quote.

Let's assume you have...200 players in a high-end tournament. For a States, this is about average. Now, let's say the top 25% of the players go on to play on a 2nd day of Swiss. That's the top 50. Those 50 come back the next day and play their own Swiss event. Then you take the top 8 of those 50, and they go on to play top cut.

For smaller events you'd just have 1 day of Swiss and then go on to top cut. For larger events, you'd have 2 days of Swiss, with the 2nd day being the top X amount of people from the 1st day.

The best irl example I can compare it to is Worlds and the LCQ. Anyone who makes it past the grinder (16 per division out of 600+) gets to play in the main Swiss event the next day, then the top 32 go on from there to play top cut after that.

This means tourneys are going to take for-E-ver. As a judge I am extremely saddened. This basically means the tourneys are going to take almost the whole day and I won't get home until late at night. I'll barely have enough time for dinner, let alone anything else I might want to do that day.

This is the impression I got too, although your right about tournaments taking longer. My mom already complains about these things taking 6-8 hours, I wonder how she'll respond to an extra 5 or so/an extra day... xD

I actually enjoy these changes. Paying to play in tournaments isnt too bad of a thing. I did it for yugioh for years. Only thing im really on the fence about is the potential for a second day. Meh. Ill wait until they tournaments actually start before I decide how I feel

Well, at least we're not being charged a fee on the VG side. :D Though, I personally don't see it as a big deal, but that maybe due to me playing Magic for a couple of years and it's around $40 USD now. It probably won't be that much, I'm thinking maybe $20 or less.

I'm hoping thinking that the entry fee is $5-$10, if it's anymore than that I might just try my luck at the VGC or the LCQ :|

Pokemon Nationals USA: The ONLY tournament where you can go X-1 and still possibly still not make cut.

Someone correct me on my numbers though, because I think there should be more than 7 X-1s when 1000 people play.

(1) Pokemon Announces 2013-14 Season Changes: Entry Fees, More Prize Support,...

Riskbreakers said:
Pokemon Nationals USA: The ONLY tournament where you can go X-1 and still possibly still not make cut.

Someone correct me on my numbers though, because I think there should be more than 7 X-1s when 1000 people play.
I believe DNA explained that it wouldn't be quite like what you thinking. Read back!

Now that I read it, it's still pretty sad. Consider you get X-0 on Day 1, and being the luck-based format this is, you flop the next day. Pretty waste of effort going X-0. I am in the agreement that the old system was way better for swiss. I have no qualms about entry fee as long as it's tolerable.

Does anyone know if you have to be part of a league to play in League Challenge tournaments? I haven't been to a league in ages.

Back