(1) Pokemon Announces 2013-14 Season Changes: Entry Fees, More Prize Support, and More! [8/22]

SpaceCowboy said:
Hey so do we get play points for league challenges right??

they give one but no one has answered or think knows anout championship points for league challenges.

YoungNes said:
they give one but no one has answered or think knows anout championship points for league challenges.

http://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/championship-series/championship-points/

This was updated at the same time as all the other stuff...should give you all the answers you need.

BUT, if you are lazy and just want the answer...League Challenges appear to have the same CP structure as Battle Roads did.

Entree fees... Doesn't matter how much they are, this is antagonizing the fans who have probably been around the longest and also no entry fees is the one thing Pokemon TCG had over Yugioh TCG and now they killed it.

ECHOxLegend said:
TokenDuelist said:
I am hoping we get something like those badge cases again, I really loved them~

Im still trying to get mine, apparently I haven't been going to my league for the past year despite my organiser always writing me down for everything, I want my case dangit!

If you log into your account on the My OP tab there should be a link if you didn't get reported and you should have been. I'm not sure if they still have leftover badge cases or not, but that is the step you'd need to take.

Pokewiz1999 said:
TokenDuelist said:
A shame it might be a bit too late to get your hands on them.

We are approaching September, then after that - these badge cases will be no more.

My league actually skipped the 7th badge so I have every badge but that one

A lot of leagues had problems with that badge. It isn't just your league.

Setosama said:
Entree fees... Doesn't matter how much they are, this is antagonizing the fans who have probably been around the longest and also no entry fees is the one thing Pokemon TCG had over Yugioh TCG and now they killed it.

Magic > Pokemon & YGO

And they've had entry fees for ages. And this is for Masters, who've been pushing for more prize support since forever. The fees won't be much, so quit yo' whining.

Celebi23 said:
Riskbreakers said:
Now that I read it, it's still pretty sad. Consider you get X-0 on Day 1, and being the luck-based format this is, you flop the next day. Pretty waste of effort going X-0. I am in the agreement that the old system was way better for swiss. I have no qualms about entry fee as long as it's tolerable.
I don't really see how this is different from the X-0 losing the first round of top cut. Except that in this new system, if the X-0's (it's actually likely that there will be more than one at the end of the first day if my math is right) lose the first round of day 2, they get to keep playing and stay in the tournament.

Point taken. Although there is a difference when it comes to CP, at least when you play great swiss then get knocked out of the first round of Swiss, you're at least guaranteed CPs for a Top 8 player, if you mess up on Day 2 Swiss however, well you play 8 or so rounds without getting anything.

The other main problem I see with this format is how dragging the tournament will take. Not only does this make judges like me have a harder time, it also messes up player endurance. (I am to assume Jason K's mess ups during Worlds was due to fatigue rather than intentional). It also gives people more reason to intentionally drop more which screws up resistance a lot.

Blui said:
Setosama said:

Magic > Pokemon & YGO

And they've had entry fees for ages. And this is for Masters, who've been pushing for more prize support since forever. The fees won't be much, so quit yo' whining.

Yeah, they might just charge minimal entry fees anyway. Pokemon may be rich but they still have to fund those extra prizes you all demand for.

Riskbreakers said:
Point taken. Although there is a difference when it comes to CP, at least when you play great swiss then get knocked out of the first round of Swiss, you're at least guaranteed CPs for a Top 8 player, if you mess up on Day 2 Swiss however, well you play 8 or so rounds without getting anything.

I am reposting this from above, because I think more people need to see this. The following link is the updated CP listings from Pokémon.com, as of 8/21/13. Please review, because there are a lot of assumptions about CP's being made that aren't reality. This is only causing more confusion.

(Here's a hint...Top 8 tournament cut or not, they don't change much, if at all, from last season. So if you finish 9th at a big tournament, guess what?...you still get points like last season)

http://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/championship-series/championship-points/

Thought I'd give my 2 cents on this topic, I do think it would've been better If matches were Best 2 out of 3 Swiss for Battle Roads and Cities cause I don't understand why it has to be exclusive to States, Nationals, and Worlds. As for the ordeal with the entry fee's I don't have too much of a problem with it as long as it's just $5-10. I'd love to see League Promos return for the next season but unfortunately P!P might force players to get Gym Badges instead. Also why not change the 1st turn rules back to what they were in DP-On and MD-On, I'm surprised that P!P intends on keeping it the way it's been for BW-On in NXD-On.

im just estimating for cities it will be 5 and states regionals and nats 10

3 regionals in the course of 2 days if they charge for both days it would be 60. If able to go to 6 it will be 120.
6 city championships so it would be 30.
1 states 2 days 20. It will be 40 if you can do 2 states.
1 nationals 2 days 20.
1 worlds 3 days 30

probably 170 for a season if they charge entry fee by day but still dont know how much it will really cost. it's almost price of 3ds.

Why would they charge per day? Is that how it works in other TCGs there in the US? Man that's messed up lol.

Also, Pokemon in Best of 3 is still weird now, whoever wins Game 1 is most likely going to win the match anyway. Considering he can go first on Game 3 is a very big advantage. They should apply a rule that every game in a match should be decided by a coin toss as to who goes first.

Because seriously, in this game right now, anyone who chooses to go second in match play should just pack up and quit.

Riskbreakers said:
Why would they charge per day? Is that how it works in other TCGs there in the US? Man that's messed up lol.

Also, Pokemon in Best of 3 is still weird now, whoever wins Game 1 is most likely going to win the match anyway. Considering he can go first on Game 3 is a very big advantage. They should apply a rule that every game in a match should be decided by a coin toss as to who goes first.

Because seriously, in this game right now, anyone who chooses to go second in match play should just pack up and quit.

I doubt they'd charge per day. I'm sure it's just admission fees.

Also, Pokemon in Best of 3 is still weird now, whoever wins Game 1 is most likely going to win the match anyway.

You're right, most of the time in a Bo3, the winner of game 1 still wins. What it does prevent though is what we call the "bad tournament experience." Where you show up with your awesome Blastoise/Keldeo deck, start lone squirtle, and then get donked turn 1 by a plasma. If this happens to you round 1, your resistance is going to be terrible, and if this happens to you in the last round, you could potentially lose top cut. They're trying to eliminate this "bad tournament experience" as much as possible. At least that's the way I looked at it. And yeah, I know it's not perfect, but it's still better than what we used to have, imho.

TPO3 said:
What it does prevent though is what we call the "bad tournament experience."
There was this junior that showed up to a Battle Roads once. It was his first tourney, iirc.
He got T1 X-Ball donked. He ran off crying.

...he ended the day on a high note, but still.
I never thought about the BO3 this way.

I mean, they could just change the horrendous first turn rule to something that prevents donks (heck, just like "you can't do damage turn 1" would fix it >_>). I am still at a complete loss as to why anyone with a sane mind could think that having zero disadvantage for going first is a good thing.

I do like bo3 for a multitude of reasons though. It's nice being able to afford getting a bad start or dead draws one game but still having the chance to win. Normally the winner of game 1 does end up winning the series, but if game 1 was lost to something silly, than it's plenty possible to win twice in a row.

Pokewiz1999 said:
Riskbreakers said:

I doubt they'd charge per day. I'm sure it's just admission fees.

I don't mean to sound rude but if anyone has a problem with the possibility of small fees - please take your dominant hand, extend it, and reverse that hand in the fastest, most forceful blow to your jowls.

AKA: Slap yourself really hard. You deserve it.

As said by the above posts, they wouldn't be major fees, and ya know what? This should not be a complaint.

As years go on, attendance will rise, so will convention or hotel space. That costs money. Lots of it. In fact - it probably costs over $1000 a day just to support all those players.

Think about this for a second: Wow, all these years, attending this event has been free. wow, if we count that up in years - they've spent at least 10 years giving up maybe $2000 every couple of months just to house all of you so you can have a weekend of fun.

This is how you repay them? They expect you adults in the master division to understand.

Clearly you don't.

...haha

Thinking about it, I don't have a problem with the attendance fees. The people who have been playing for as long as they have now will just accept it; it's just a minor obstacle. Though, since the major draw to Pokemon tourneys was that they were free, and now they aren't...what's that going to do? The object of a tourney for everyone isn't to win; for many it's just to have fun. Are people really willing to pay and have fun, knowing they'll probably get nothing in return?

So what edge do Pokemon TCG tourneys still have now over other card game tourneys? Is there even one at all?

Food for thought.

(I forget, did I say this in the thread already?)

I'd like to speak to the 'Top 8 cut' thing.

TPCI isn't stupid. They know how to run tournaments. They make questionable decisions on occasion, but they tend to do what is good for the game (as that makes more people play, generating more revenue, etc.), so I doubt this is as awful a decision as it first seems.

Looking through the proposed changes, it seems that larger tournaments (that would normally have a cut of 32, 64, or 128) are now going to be given more swiss to compensate for the smaller top cut. After the first day, some players - most likely the ones that have no chance at cut at that point - will be eliminated, and the rest will play for the top 8 spots the next day.

I'll use nationals as an example and assume a usual top cut of 128.

By going to top 8 instead of top 128 for nationals, that's effectively losing 4 rounds of top cut. I would much rather have 4 (though it will probably be more!) extra rounds of swiss than 4 extra rounds of top cut - bad matchups become much less of an issue, as you'll likely be playing against some of everything; decks must now focus on having good matchups against lots of the meta rather than having some flip-based, matchup-based, or otherwise luck-based decks getting lucky for 7 of 9 rounds and making cut.

Top cut will be seeing X-1 players with a larger X than the X-2 ones in top cut we have now at nationals. That's a good thing. We will see more consistently good decks with very strong players at the top tables consistently.

Also, as ties are being added, having only the top 8 players make cut reduces the odds of intentional draws taking place, as spots in cut are less of a sure thing.

Overall, a top cut of 8 with more rounds of swiss is a good thing for the game. I know people don't like it because the feeling of making cut is awesome, but when you think about it, being X-1 with 4 rounds to go is essentially the same thing. Win out and you make T8, accumulate two losses total and you're probably out.

Back