(1) Pokemon Announces 2013-14 Season Changes: Entry Fees, More Prize Support, and More! [8/22]

So is League still free? This is kinda what I'm not understanding. I kinda liked the idea of just walking into my local shop and just playing for the fun of it. (even though I've been out of the competitive scene for over a year). As long as League is still free and Tourneys have an entry fee I don't mind. I played Vanguard for a while and got used to paying for tourneys.

Pokewiz1999 said:
I don't like the Top 8 Top Cut either. So only Top 8 get into Top 8 at Nat's and Regionals? Seems legit.

Wait, what.

Championship events will now also have a maximum top cut of eight players (Top 8). Some larger Premier Events will feature two-day splits, in which players with the top records from the first day’s Swiss rounds move on to play a second day of Swiss rounds prior to the Top 8 playoffs.

Wow.
...I'm done.
I'm not even a player and I'm done.

Pokewiz1999 said:
I don't like the Top 8 Top Cut either. So only Top 8 get into Top 8 at Nat's and Regionals? Seems legit.

and with tieing being reintroduced what if there are like 5 8th places or something similar?

Super__Sonic said:
So is League still free? This is kinda what I'm not understanding. I kinda liked the idea of just walking into my local shop and just playing for the fun of it. (even though I've been out of the competitive scene for over a year). As long as League is still free and Tourneys have an entry fee I don't mind. I played Vanguard for a while and got used to paying for tourneys.

The League Owner can choose if they wish to charge a fee for coming to league. This is more of something that would be done if the league owner rents space and has to pay for it.

ECHOxLegend said:
Pokewiz1999 said:

and with tieing being reintroduced what if there are like 5 8th places or something similar?

There are multiple tie-breakers.

That moment when Masters have to pay entry fee right after you become one... Dang it :(.
But at least the top 8 limit doesn't affect me much. Sweden has a small playerbase anyway so it's mostly top 2 or 4 there.

In the UK we've always had to pay for our tournaments except nationals, for us it was only ever £5 and everyone that played usually got a booster pack at least.

Salamencetrainer34 said:
Whats bad of the top 8 thing?

States is normally a top 16 cut, and Regionals top 32. Even so, some States and Regionals are large enough so that 1 more level of cut is required (32 and 64, respectively). California and Arizona are examples.

I shell out enough money to play the TCG game as it is, I'm by no means EVER gonna pay to play in a tournament unless it's a little $2 pack winning tournament things... Congrots TPC, you've just hindered the amount of players that will be playing this year, between a broken format, paying to play, and the new professor organization, I don't see why many people will continue to play as a master.

Here are the 'exciting' changes.

Top 8 in states, regionals , and worlds.
Paying for something you already payed 100$+ on! Oh wait, only for masters. Seniors and juniors are still free.
Battle roads as a league (Whatever that means, it was already a league, right?)
No rewards for playing pokemon. Only tourney prizes
Something involving professors
BO3 in tourney above city

I am so hyped for the season!

This season sounds like its going to suck. Its only Top 8 for tournements even ones where there's like a thousand people. I also have to pay money to play in something that used to be free. It looks like im going to be going to less (if any) tournements this year. I might just quit the tcg totally and start playing the vgc, because atleast it doesn't cost for that.

....I'm so confused....

I have so many opinions on these "exciting changes".

FIRST, the Master's admission fee. Wtf. Although it generates more "profit for prizes", I don't see this attracting more players. Unless, tpci is trying to shun away players. which they are doing a great job at so far.
Next, the awards and end of season stipends. I actually am fine with this. People who work hard deserve to be given additional prizes.
Third, Top 8 system. OH MY FREAKING GOD THIS IS THE DUMBEST THING EVER. While it makes Top cut more "exclusive" and the invite "harder", I don't like it at all, especially thinking of Nationals. Think about it, only 8-1s will top cut, and maybe a 7-2 if they are lucky. Add that to a Best 2/3 swiss and all of a sudden, the stress level for every person at the tournament skyrockets. I really don't like this. Unless they have kickers, which would actually be OK, but definitely not good. I don't understand why they are changing the season format every year. This year's was fin with the exception of OP cards.
Best 2/3 swiss. I do like this. It gives set up decks a chance and gives a player that gets donked or dead draws another chance.
Idrc about Play Awards tbh, I never knew how to get them lol.
All in all, this is going to be one INTERESTING season. :/

Really doubt this entry fee is going to be major. Besides, it might be to compensate for a few extra things we don't know about yet.

All I hope is that league gets good support this time, considering they are eliminating player rewards. Really hoping for more Video Game involvement in league though.

If the entry fee is $10 or lower I might go to a few tournements, but if its like $20 like I think it will be Im going to have to sit them out, because I cant afford that much.

TokenDuelist said:
Really doubt this entry fee is going to be major. Besides, it might be to compensate for a few extra things we don't know about yet.

All I hope is that league gets good support this time, considering they are eliminating player rewards. Really hoping for more Video Game involvement in league though.

Whether a league chooses to support the Video Game is its own choice. League Owners can choose to support just one or the other if they wish. I thought the free Pokemon you earned for participating in a season was a good reward. It may not have perfect stats, but its better than nothing.

I'm very excited for all of these decisions to be implemented. Adding prize support and switching to 2 of 3 in swiss were both just good ideas. The only thing I dislike is providing 50 minutes for Swiss matches. Almost every single match is going to be decided on time. It also effectively kills any slow set up decks.

People complaining about Top 8 clearly missed the line about a second day of swiss...according to the European leaks which have been proven all but correct, a second swiss tournament will be played by whatever power of 2 was appropriate and a Top 8 from that.

Huh... tournaments have always costed in Finland, for everyone. I thought it was like that everywhere. :|

Back