(1) Next Modified Next Destinies-On? [7/13]

@Riskbreakers: Maybe CSJ meant that there's very few stage 1/2 pokémon that actually attacks. There are plenty of support stage 2s. Think about it, when you just evolved for example your Wartortle/Squirtle (with Candy) into Blastoise, don't you want to attack with it instead of it just supporting other attackers?

Yeah, I agree that the basic EX's are the problem. And they aren't solving the problem by putting basic Chandelure and Excadrill EX in EBB...
But anyway. First off EX's have a ton of HP (the playable ones anyway, you know which ones I don't mean). Nothing has more HP except Wailord which is never used.
Then the attacks. Let's take Landorus EX, with one energy for 30 and 30 to one Benched. No stage 1 or 2s come anywhere close to that. If they were somewhat more balanced, you'd expect one energy for a bit more damage, seeing as they require time to set up. But nooooooo, we get, for one energy, 60 and negative effect, 30 and near useless effect given that these two exist. I mean, seriously? Even if you get something close or better, it's got 40 less HP, which means it dies, just like that. And I won't even talk about the big attackers like everyone's favourite powerhouse...

DNA said:
Well, that's no fun. I am hoping this is not a harbinger of the rotation, though I will not discount the possibility.
At least it's better than no rotation. I think Eelektrik needs to leave (and this is coming from a Ray-Eels player).

Agreed. I've been a big Eels play since it first came out but it has run its course and it's time for other decks to take over. Also I have a question for you guys, if we go NSD-on this fall what decks do you think will be popular? Do you think Plasma will continue to win or will something else pop up?

I'll also miss Gothitelle, not that I like it or anything but item lock has been a unique part of the game that will be almost lost now. (Dragonite and Zebstrika don't count :p )

@Lemonnade: Garchomp's attack doesn't have a negative effect, it's just that he can't start pumping out attacks like that until T2-3 while Landorus and Kyurem will be doing it on T1 almost every game. Although I agree that there aren't enough good stage 2 attackers in this format, curse you big basics.

ProudPokePlayer said:
@Riskbreakers: Maybe CSJ meant that there's very few stage 1/2 pokémon that actually attacks. There are plenty of support stage 2s. Think about it, when you just evolved for example your Wartortle/Squirtle (with Candy) into Blastoise, don't you want to attack with it instead of it just supporting other attackers?

We got Garchomp, Empoleon, Zoroark. They are very broken on their own, it's just that EXs do their jobs better.

I used to think catcher being gone would break the format also.

But in reality, Stage 2 deck's don't get any more "broken". Rotating beach would severely nerf Blastoise, Gothitelle would suck because of Virizion anyway, Klinklang is bad, etc. You also tend to not even catcher out the basics nowadays anyway - you guys are acting like the instant a Blastoise goes up you just lose. It also opens up a ton of creative options and allows a lot of Stage 1's and Stage 2's that previously didn't work to actually be viable.

Again, I'm not one to complain about the format or the cards in it. I don't even think Catcher is that bad; I just think a format without it might be really cool. On the topic of N, it isn't broken, but it's too luck based. We wouldn't have enough draw supporters if it got rotated though :/

This entire format is luck based. N just proves it.

Also Blah, tbh.. people kept on saying to "restore the old Rare Candy rule". Restoring that would probably make you auto-lose to Blastoise if it does get up a T1 Blastoise. Costless energy acceleration is just stupid. TPCI/PCL and Konami should take tips from Bushiroad and Wizards as to how to make powerful cards cost something to play.

I've said this on another site but I'll say it again, with better support pokemon N wouldn't be as much of a problem. When N first came out we had Smeargle, Cleffa, and Magnezone to instantly get out of a N to one. However the draw support pokemon of today really just stink. Elcetrode isn't a viable attacker and it's ability draws to 4 not 6, Tornadus is an EX with a mediocre attack, sableye can only work with darkness energy etc. Not only that but most of the draw support pokemon today rely on attacks to draw cards which isn't as great as a draw ability.

I don't really want NDX-on. I would prefer dark explorers on, so hopefully this isn't it :(

Currently praying this is a lie and there really is no rotation. I can't lose my boy energy switch!

Riskbreakers said:

Also Blah, tbh.. people kept on saying to "restore the old Rare Candy rule". Restoring that would probably make you auto-lose to Blastoise if it does get up a T1 Blastoise. Costless energy acceleration is just stupid. TPCI/PCL and Konami should take tips from Bushiroad and Wizards as to how to make powerful cards cost something to play.

But Genesect EX/Virizion EX from Plasma Blast makes Blastoise/Keldeo EX almost unplayable, that and If Rare Candy got it's old ruling back you'd still have better odds opening the game with a Genesect EX or Virizion EX. Plus it's not like Blastoise will have enough Water energy to donk on T1 or T2 with Hydro Pump anyway using Deluge.

Im no expert, but returning the old Rare Candy mechanics, but keeping the 1st turn no evolving rule seems like a nice compromise to me.

Blastoise/Keldeo EX may be unplayable, but Blastoise/BKEX certainly isn't. With old RC and/or no catcher, that's more broken than it is now.

Riskbreakers said:
Just remove the Big basics and our format would be much better.

Agreed, that's why I advocated for a hard rotation to XY-On but unfortunately
that doesn't seem to be the case according to rumors right now. Then again XY-On would be as terrible for players who've already invested money in the TCG as good as getting rid of all the power creep from Big Basics and the card type itself in general.

Puff-Sun said:
Blastoise/Keldeo EX may be unplayable, but Blastoise/BKEX certainly isn't. With old RC and/or no catcher, that's more broken than it is now.

Yeah I almost forgot about Black Kyurem EX with Blastoise, that and with Rayquaza EX out of commission with Eels getting rotated with a possible Next Destinies-On format there's really no solid Dragon Type that isn't a Stage 2 to keep it in check at the moment. Latias EX seems like it can work well against it.

@CSJ: I wanted a BW-on rotation in 2011, but nooooooooooooo...

At least the HGSS series was better than the BW series. More playable cards, much more deck options to choose from, and overall a much more diverse meta IMO.

Card Slinger J said:
Riskbreakers said:

But Genesect EX/Virizion EX from Plasma Blast makes Blastoise/Keldeo EX almost unplayable, that and If Rare Candy got it's old ruling back you'd still have better odds opening the game with a Genesect EX or Virizion EX. Plus it's not like Blastoise will have enough Water energy to donk on T1 or T2 with Hydro Pump anyway using Deluge.

Genesect/Virizion doesn't make Blastoise unplayable at all. In fact, one might say the matchup is pretty even. One of Genesect's main issues is keeping energy in play and attackers flowing, and Blastoise can take advantage of that perfectly by slaughtering everything with Black Kyurem EX. The weakness thing is annoying and Genesects can pray on Keldeo EX all day long but it most certainly does not make Blastoise unplayable.

Back