XY What Do You Think of the Starters?

Sladesdragon said:
This is the first region since Johto that I love all three of the starters. I honestly cannot wait to see what they turn into!
^ This

Here's my thoughts on the Gen VI starters:
Froakie-> As a person who usually picks the water type, Froakie fits with them perfectly (I can see them all hanging out and that warms my heart <3). The design is nice and I love the color choice (my favorite color combination out of the starters). Also seeing him in the anime teaser, he was just chilling with his neck fluff Jacuzzi and that was just too adorable for words.

Chespin-> This one is such a cutie! Again I love the color choice and the overall design of it. I just want to pick him up and just squeeze him :p

Fennekin-> This one I will admit is probably my least favorite out of the Kalos starters. The ear fluff really turns me off (I would have been fine if they had tone the fluff down just a tad), other than that I do like the overall design. I adore his big ol' ears and the colors fit him nicely.

However the final designs will probably make or break them for me. For example I really loved Tepig when Gen V starters were revealed but when I saw his other evolutions they really turned me off.

Froakie got lucky with his evolution unlike fennekin and chespin who we as a whole tend to disllike right now. Even though chespin's evo is still pretty cute.

Well lets see my first reaction to Fennekin's evolution was horror and despair. Then a bit of anger. A few hours later I was forcing myself to like and accept it, but it wasn't till two hours ago that I finally started truly accepting it and regaining the hope of a great final evolution....Such a productive day..

Froakie's evolution just made me love him more. <3

Chespins, well he wasn't a top pick to start with so this doesn't bug me a whole lot. I know I wouldn't be fond of him, but there is a chance he'll bust out of that shell and look awesome.

I love every single one of them. Both the first and second forms. This is the first gen where I didn't have a clear preference of one over the others, though that may change when we see the final forms.

I enjoy froakie's and chespin's.

I'm a little annoyed that none of the 2nd stages are dual type. Every gen that has had a dual type starter had at least one of their 2nd stages dual type too.

Gotta say, I love the second stage forms...

Fennekin's second form is definitely my favorite. She looks like a young witch with attitude, and kinda reminds me of Jinx from Teen Titans!

Froakie's second form is probably my least favorite... not that there's anything particularly wrong with a dart frog, but it just doesn't stand out as anything special to me.

Chespin's second form is an adorable, rolly-polly cutie pie... and for those who disagree, I post this:
hariboogu_by_0okami_rei-d6lwycj_zps91141d31.jpg

How can you not love that?!

Was a fan when I initially saw them at their first stages, but the 2nd evolutions really disappointed me, especially Chespin. Hopefully the final evolutions look good.

I liked all the first forms! Chespin was going to be my starter, since I expected something Nuzleaf / Shiftry-ish but apparently not. Fennekin was allright.

Froakie is the one I liked the least, but when I saw it's 2nd stage... I went like "HELL YES! FROAKIE'S MAH PICK". xD

It's funny how people actually care what the second forms look like when they know second forms for starters are generally bad.

zappy800 said:
It's funny how people actually care what the second forms look like when they know second forms for starters are generally bad.

They are? Personally, I can't think of a second form I didn't like until now.. That's just me though.

Everybody goes through puberty.
But sometimes it ends up doing a good job.

Take Emma Watson for example.
She didn't start off all....uh nice looking.
Suddenly, BOOM.
HAWLY SHET.

So yeah, maybe it'll be like this with the starters.

I'm really excited about Chespin's evolution!!! I'm hoping the final evolution becomes a high Defense/Sp.Defense Hedgehog or Porcupine since it's the "Thorn Armor Pokemon".

Fennekin's evolution is mediocre. It's like a witch/wizard.

To me, Froakie's evolution looks like a ninja on drugs.

98Greener said:
Everybody goes through puberty.
But sometimes it ends up doing a good job.

Take Emma Watson for example.
She didn't start off all....uh nice looking.
Suddenly, BOOM.
HAWLY SHET.

So yeah, maybe it'll be like this with the starters.
This made my day.

In all seriousness, I thought Pignite was awful, but Emboar wasn't too bad. Same with Combusken.

Warrior Weasel 1986 said:
zappy800 said:

They are? Personally, I can't think of a second form I didn't like until now.. That's just me though.

Grotle, Combusken, Ivysaur, Pignite (I love emobar though), Monferno, Prinplup (I really didn't like the second forms for gen 4.), GekoGashira(Did I say that right), and Marshtomp I hate the desgns of which is weird since I like the designs of pretty much all the pokemon including Trubbish and Vanillite's lines.

zappy800 said:
Warrior Weasel 1986 said:

Grotle, Combusken, Ivysaur, Pignite (I love emobar though), Monferno, Prinplup (I really didn't like the second forms for gen 4.), GekoGashira(Did I say that right), and Marshtomp I hate the desgns of which is weird since I like the designs of pretty much all the pokemon including Trubbish and Vanillite's lines.

all those pokemon are great designs. hell Ivysaur's got that cult of people who refuse to evolve it.

Whitefire said:
Interested in Fokko's and Froakie's evos though. Chespin i dont really care what they did with it honestly.
I lied.

I feel bad for poor Chespin :c The other's forms are ok.

Chandelure said:
zappy800 said:
Grotle, Combusken, Ivysaur, Pignite (I love emobar though), Monferno, Prinplup (I really didn't like the second forms for gen 4.), GekoGashira(Did I say that right for froakie's evo), and Marshtomp I hate the desgns of which is weird since I like the designs of pretty much all the pokemon including Trubbish and Vanillite's lines.

all those pokemon are great designs. hell Ivysaur's got that cult of people who refuse to evolve it.

Ok let me specify why I don't like them:
Just too awkward for me: Grotle, Prinplup, Combusken, Marshtomp, and Gekogashira(dem hands and feet)
Don't look good to me: Pignite, Ivysaur (actually prefer venusaur and emboar both look better to me.)
Don't like any of that line: Monferno
This is all my opinion though so whatever.

Chandelure said:
zappy800 said:

That may have something to do with the anime.

So I know this keeps on being mentioned but, I just wanna talk about the American names.

Quilladin and chespin both have the -in at the end. But Quilladin sounds even more like the word Paladin, which really REALLY fits the theory of the medieval archetypal characters. Paladin being the the armored knight.

Braixen is, to me, a combination of Vixen- female fox, and branch, which is where it gets it psychic abilities from. This is common of the archetypal spellcaster class. Perhaps the stick will be a staff in Fennekin's final evolution

Lastly is Froakie and Frogadier. Of course they both have the term Frog in them. But Frogadier kind of reminds me of a vigilante. Like a musketeer. However, I cannot think of a suffix word to derive this theory from the name.

Overall though, you can see that we have all three archetypal medieval characters, the warrior/paladin, spell caster/witch and the rogue/thief.

Back